What do you do when...

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

What do you do when...

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

So, I live in a brand new housing development in a small town right out of Iowa City. Construction of new houses is everywhere. It just so happens that we have blatantly disrespectful carpenters building a house right next to mine. By that I mean the fact that they have their trailer parked in front of our house. It has been there for a week now. This might not seem like such a big deal to some, however we live on the corner. You cannot park on the road to the side, and the room between the driveway and the trailer is enough to fit a car. This means that everytime I leave and come back I must back into my spot. Really, it's just a nuisance and I've let it go. Today on the other hand I came home and they have shit strewn out on MY lawn. Everything from saw horses to ladders, and cut up pieces of siding to mention a few things. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I have half a mind to go out their and chew someone's ass. At least I did until I realized they are here often when I am not...
Thinking of something new!
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Probably not much you can do about the trailer parked on the street, as streets are generally owned by the city and not private property. As for the stuff on your lawn, no reason why you can't discuss it with the foreman civilly. And if you don't feel comfortable with that, contact the city and talk to them about it.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

the best way to handle it is as Siren said, ask them nicely. If they blow you off, you can say something like:

'look , i'm a reasonable guy, i'm not eager to escalate this matter, but if things don't change, then i'm going to pursue other options.'

make some phone calls with the city. but also with the builder's office, etc.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I believe you can have a vehicle towed from the front of your house. If you ask and they refuse, then call in on Friday afternoon as an abandoned vehicle and they will have 48 hours to have it moved or it gets towed.

If they get real shitty, shoot them the next time they are on your property and wielding a hammer or other deadly weapon.
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

you were at the camp spot first right?

train them.
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Move to Fairfield so you do not have to worry about new construction!
Sylvos
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sylvos »

What you do is get one of them new fangled stick of dem Dynamite and tie it to a bow and arrow.
Then you have Luke shoot the light dynamite out of the passenger side of your Dodge Charger and then have the General Lee jump an impossible ditch and sound the charge.
If yer lucky Good Ole Rosco will follow you into the ditch and you can laugh at him after the construction site blows up.

That's what i'd do at least.
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

I called there offices and spoke to some lady who has no clue what a house is. She did say that she would look into it though and have one of their CR people get back with me. Sooo, plan B: I'm going to call the city of NL and see what the 5.0 will do. Three of the city cops are somewhat close neighbors so I'm pretty sure they'll be somewhat on top of this. Unless they're too busy with all of the murder death kills ><

Cid, Fairfield.... what do I say? I feel for you though :(
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

If their shit is on your lawn, you should just start taking all the expensive power tools and relocating them into your garage :twisted:

Got kids? Buy them paintball guns and have them pretend that the construction workers that cross your property line are zee Germans trying to invade.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

Go over to them wearing a shirt and tie, holding a Book of Mormon and start talking about God and the devil and the second coming and invite them to church and how you will pray for their souls and ask them if they want to be baptized into the Kingdom of God and attain exhaultation and polygamy and Joseph Smith and Brigamy Young and BYU... Soon after I think they may keep their distance on their own.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Go up to them and spit in their face hoping that they will take a swing at you so you can pull your concealed weapon and bust a cap in their ass.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

if they go and leave their crap on your yard overnight ... take it ... and be like oh some kids must of come in the night and ganked it
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Spray paint everything left on your lawn green so it blends in.
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Smear poop all over the walls.
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

call the cops, tell them someone is littering in your yard!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

spit on their window
Vannoth
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Vannoth »

Tell these guys that you don't appreciate them putting stuff on their lawn and ask them nicely to please not do it again. You understand they have a lot of stuff, lots of work, etc etc. but your lawn is important to you, and to please not use it as a workspace.

If they say okay, then fine okay. If they do it again, tell them that you will not talk to them again about it, and if they do it for a 3rd time, you will be in contact with the their bosses, the city planner, the building authority and the better business bureau - and that that trailer will look like the fucking Hilton once they are in the unemployment line.

If they do it after that simply ask them if they would like to try picking up their teeth with broken fingers - after you have called all of the above agencies.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Vannoth wrote:...the fucking Hilton...
Paris?
Vannoth
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Vannoth »

noel wrote:
Vannoth wrote:...the fucking Hilton...
Paris?
Stupid spoiled whore.
Fyndina
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fyndina »

Your lawn, your tools.

They come ask, say you'll be willing to sell it to them. At a discount.
Ardel i'Fallegar, Wizard long dead

Fyndina i'Fallegar, L60 necro, Veeshan
Aateni i'Fallegar, L65 SK, Veeshan

Korte i'Fallegar, L43 Illusionist, Lucan

Gun Carrying Liberal
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

WoW miir, keep on bringing up and manipulating what I said 2 weeks ago. Thats ok though, not that you care, but you and I think 4 other people have made my ignore list that just won't stfu about that.

Anyhow, I am a construction manager (superintendent, whatever) for Town & Country homes. My first question for you is this:
Do you live in a townhome, or a single family home?

If you live in a townhome, then I'm not sure how this could differ in Iowa, but here in MN you would get nowhere. The property at least on any development i have heard of is not yours, its the cities, driveway, grass everything.

The way to get the quickest results is to find the Construction trailor on the site (I would assume there has to be one) for the company building them (not the framers, the actual company ).

You may not have luck catching someone at the trailor, and if you don't , I would go to the sales office/model homes on site (Also assume there must be these, as every site i have been to does) and talk to one of the sales people. Chances are, the sales people can get word on to the sup, or someone else within the company.

Finding someone within the company, like I said above is going to be most effective- because if the job sup goes over and tells the framers to move their shit- they are gonna move it- trust me.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

just ask nicely, if it doesnt work, keep going over heads
Fistinyereyes
No Stars!

Post by Fistinyereyes »

I'm with the folks saying just take shit... can always give it back if you want, but since they left it on your property without your permission, you have every right.
Gnomies
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gnomies »

construction workers can also be "good", hard working people. I don't think stealing their tools is such a fair idea, and they were probably told to work their. Not knowing about the uncomfortableness it causes you :oops:
Gnomies Tinkerbeans~
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

Ended up that the city inspector showed up like 15 minutes after my post by chance and I didn't even talk to them. She must have said something since they moved all of their stuff. They took the trailor with them when they left. I'm not sure if they were done which I think they were. Or if they just took it with them. Either way problem solved. I now have some great ideas for anymore instances of this happening again.

It's a housing development. The land belongs to us, the city owns the sidewalk, and the driveway is ours too. Many regulations and stipulations regarding things like having to have brick, certain shingles, and amount of trees/shrubs and where they are placed ><
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Associations suck :(
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Sounds as if your problem is solved. Should you run into it again, my suggestion would be to make an inquiry to the developer to make sure the contractor in question is licensed and bonded. Most states now require this. During the course of that conversation I'd mention the problem to them and let them know that they would share in the liability should someone become injured at your home due to the unsafe materials left on your property, as well as costs associated with repairing the landscaping, etc.

Assuming they are licensed, there should also be a state licensing bureau that handles complaints of this nature.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
IeailandDokktur
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by IeailandDokktur »

Go ask them to move it 1 more time.If they dont, Kick there ass.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Same thing happened to me when I built my House, the Developer kept parking his Truck in front of my mailbox day after day hence the mailman never could deliver the mail. I asked him 4 times to not park his Truck in front of the mailbox between 10:30 am and 1Pm and he refused. SO I took 2 cars one Saturday Parked them right up to the Front and back bumpers and refused to answer the door.
icknay
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by icknay »

nah just train them. that's the best idea so far.
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

So if this happens again, I will be sure to train them. Please let me know if this is proper technique. First grab a runspeed mod (running shoes!) After succeeding in some foot haste I will run past the local construction teams and throw rocks at the foreman. Obviously they are social and will assist the foreman. When a sufficient amount of construction teams is chasing me I will then run to my house. When I get close to the neighbor construction people I will again use the <throw stone> ability of mine that I picked up researching Lygars. Thus teams 1-6 will be running towards team 7. I will then make dying sounds and fall to the ground. BAM multiple pissed off factions of construction workers and they will most assuredly agro each other. I'll get agro for this as well right, just like in RZ?
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

pssh ... just get a wizard to manaburn the foreman .. problem solved
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Manaburn was nerfed to only 75% of the target's max hp.
Do unto others what has been done to you.