Did you watch or care about the Oscars?

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Well did you?

I watched them but did not care (I need a hobby)
24%
I watched them and did care (I work in the industry)
6%
I did not watch them but did care (I'm a busy guy)
13%
I did not watch them and didn't care (fuck hollywood)
57%

Total votes: 63

Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Did you watch or care about the Oscars?

Post by Sueven »

This is a pretty simple poll. Care is defined loosely as virtually anything: a strong rooting interest for a particular film or actor, a desire to see how Chris Rock did, a desperate hope that Tara Reid's tit would fall out of her dress, a feeling of inferiority that leads you to obtain happiness only through gratuitous paparazzi coverage of some of the most soulless people on earth, whatever.

I'm option four.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Didn't watch don't care.
I honestly can't think of more than a few movies that I have ever seen that have gone up for Oscar nominations - the ones that go up for 'Best Picture' or 'Best Actor' are usually a bit more serious than I want to delve into when I go see the occasional flick.

That being said, the oscars are pointless for me.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't care about the awards movies and actors get. All that's used for is in negotiations for their next contracts.

I would have left off the "fuck hollywood" on the last option though. I still like to watch movies : )
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I watched the opening monologue because my wife had it on. While she was watching the pre-game show, the level of vapidness disgusted me. I mean it wasn't a red carpet any longer, it's a red fucking street.

After I watched the monologue and walked the poochie, I told my wife "good luck" and played some Go online in the other room.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

carnivale was on. and unless it is the super bowl nothing takes precedent over HBO on Sundays at 9pm.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:carnivale was on. and unless it is the super bowl nothing takes precedent over HBO on Sundays at 9pm.
That's Deadwood's slot starting next Sunday! Carnival moves to 10pm!
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

DEADWOOD.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

there wasnt really much else on, and i wanted to see if one of our programs won Short Form Documentary (it didnt, but at least an HBO doc beat it - same company).

but i thought the show was pretty slow. i'm not a huge awards show guy though.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

Watched it, although i dont think ive seen one nominated movie for best picture or the movies for best director...was looking foward to chris rock who i think is funniest comic alive whos still working, was disapointed as he did a terrible job (too many constraints, he doesnt work well censored)
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I agree, I think that he was held back quite a bit by the powers that be. But I also thought he was pretty funny still, I just think its the wrong crowd for him... Now watch him do the mtv awards, thats funny shit. One of my favorite all time moments in awards was when he was hosting the mtv awards and Marilyn Manson performed. After his performance Chris Rock got up and said something like "quick, run to church while you still can". Definately made me laugh.

I also wanted to choke sean penns good for nothing ass for getting offended about what Rock said in the beginning about Jude Law (one of the worst, most arrogant actors in the world) and made a little snap about it. He should get on a boat with Johnny depp, and Dave Mathews, and any other hollywood people who constantly bitch about how much america sucks, and leave forever. Not to even mention that chris rock said the same thing about himself as he did about jude law.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I checked this out on the TIVO solely to see how Chris Rock did..

That material, if done after the oscars, on the Chris Rock show, would've been fine... but it wasn't what the host of the oscars should be doing. You don't tear down the actors or the filmmakers.. in the audience or not.. It was really out of place.

Plus he says he's not going to bash bush... and then continues on a 2 minute tangent essentially calling bush a criminal genius. thanks chris, now for best actress in a supporting role...

Hey they put him there.. viewership was off at least 5% from last year, continuing the oscar slump.. he's a funny guy, but it wasn't his place.. tho you cannot fault him for taking the fat paycheck to 'fuck shit up'..
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Exactly, I feel that he may even have gone there with the intention of stirring shit up just because of how uptight, controlling, and just outright pathetic a lot of the hollywood people are. And if that was his aim, I applaud him.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I only listened to it and watched an occasional bit during downtime (not much) in WoW. I watched all of the opening, and I really didn't think Chris Rock did all that well. Granted, it wasn't his audience.

The only reason I watched was to see what 'Ray' won. I was disappointed in the end even though Jamie Foxx won for a performance I honestly did not think he had in him before watching this movie.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I completely forgot. I have looked all over the net....is their anywhere I can download the oscars? or atleast Chris Rocks 10 minute monologue?
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

I watched but didn't really care. It was a piss poor year for "Oscar" movies.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I only caught parts of it so I chose Watched but didn't care. However, I thought that the commercials for the Oscars were way far better than those for the Superbowl. They made me laugh out loud.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Oscars are pointless when there's only 6 or 7 good movies during the year, especially when all the same movies are all nominated throughout the entire show. Beyond that, it's simply retarded that Hotel Rwanda didn't get a single Oscar, yet Sideways did.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

how can you award the best actor category?

they didn't all have the same rolls.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I didn't, haven't and likely never will watch the Ocsars and am indifferent to who wins what.

It's just a self congratulatory Hollywood cornhole conga line.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Rellix wrote: Beyond that, it's simply retarded that Hotel Rwanda didn't get a single Oscar, yet Sideways did.
What does one have to do with the other? I don't recall them being in the same category
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Performance by an actress in a supporting role:
Virginia Madsen in “Sideways” (Fox Searchlight/20th Century Fox)

Sophie Okonedo in “Hotel Rwanda” (United Artists in association with Lions Gate Entertainment through MGM Distribution Co.)
That wasn't really my point. The fact that Sideways (which I saw after they made such a big hype out of it) simply wasn't that good. I mean sure, it was interesting to see a drama that pretended to be a comedy (for the first half), but it really didn't capture me at all. Hotel Rwanda on the other hand was simply astounding. Titantic:Barney's Big Adventure as Hotel Rwanda:Sideways. Yet, Sideways is the one that goes away with an Oscar.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aye, Madsen didn't hold Okonedo back and supporting roles aren't best picture or screenplays, not that you were trying to push that point.

I haven'r seen Rawanda yet but I know we have plans to. I certainly believe it was a well done and extrodinarily moving film.
I did see Sideways and I guess I enjoyed it a whole lot more than you did. Against the competition of adapted screenplay, I believe it deserved to win. We're allowed to disagree on what we like.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

It is always good when they award a movie about euthanasia. Let's just push our agenda through the movies. Right to die -Rawr.
Adelrune Argenti
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i really question the intellectual fortitude of persons who are so opposed to their views being challenged through art.

there is incest in Hamlet, does that mean that Shakespeare was a pervert? does that mean every school and theater company on the planet is party to sexual devience?

of course not.

I think it is telling that you so often see from the right in the US an uproar about things as absurd as this gripe about "Million Dollar Baby" to cartoon characters and homosexuality. In my opinion it illustrates the insecure nature of these persons' worldview.

its a lot like shaking a stick at the solar eclipse
Last edited by Voronwë on March 1, 2005, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I didn't watch. I didn't want to watch.

I do want to watch Million Dollar Baby.

I do want to have Clint Eastwood's babies.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Closer is the one with Natalie Portman in a thong, yes?

EDIT: I'm just glad that fucking circle-jerk "The Aviator" didn't win Best Picture. The fact that it beat "House of Flying Daggers" for cinematography is bullshit enough.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

Voronwë wrote:i really question the intellectual fortitude of persons who are so opposed to their views being challenged through art.

there is incest in Hamlet, does that mean that Shakespeare was a pervert? does that mean every school and theater company on the planet is party to sexual devience?

of course not.

I think it is telling that you so often see from the right in the US an uproar about things as absurd as this gripe about "Million Dollar Baby" to cartoon characters and homosexuality. In my opinion it illustrates the insecure nature of these persons' worldview.

its a lot like shaking a stick at the solar eclipse
No, my issue is with the marketing of the movie and what it is really about. Watching the trailers, most would think this is a movie about the triumph of the human spirit against the odds in boxing. Boxing was tangential to the story when the main focus became a "hot button" political issue.

There is no such thing as "value free" entertainment. Everything has a message it is trying to convey, be it music, a painting, or a movie. My observation is that those entertainment products which vocally support an idea that is politically distasteful to many seem to get the most accolades. How much of that is really due to the quality of the art as opposed to the "agenda message" it is conveying.
Adelrune Argenti
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Didn't watch. Only cared to hear if Jamie Fox won or not. After hearing they kept having Beyonce singing, I'm even happier I didn't watch.

As for Chris Rock.. he sucks as a host. The ONLY thing he knows how to do is insult entertainers when he does. Look at the MTV awards. Same shit, different show. It wasn't funny the first time and it hasn't been funny since.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Beyonce is beautiful, has an amazing voice, and is a great entertainer. I like her a lot, but she did perform like 3/4 of the musical numbers..

I think chris rock is funny, and I don't agree that his star bashing material is old. I think he says what a lot of people think, or would like to say - and that makes it even funnier.