Shumacher doesn't just kick ass behind the wheel...

What do you think about the world?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Shumacher doesn't just kick ass behind the wheel...

Post by noel »

He kicks ass in the real-world as well.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31840
Michael Schumacher has donated $10 million to the victims of the South Asian tsunami.

The world champion’s massive pledge was announced by manager Willi Weber on a German charity telethon on Tuesday.

Schumacher’s generous donation, which equates to around £5.3m, is by far the biggest to be made by a sports star or team.

The German's Ferrari team boss Jean Todt and designer Rory Byrne were both in South Asia when the tsunami struck but both were fortunate to emerge unscathed.

Sauber announced on Tuesday that they had decided to call off their Kuala Lumpur car launch as a mark of respect to victims of the disaster.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Michael Schumacher has donated $10 million to the victims of the South Asian tsunami.

The world champion’s massive pledge was announced by manager Willi Weber on a German charity telethon on Tuesday.

Schumacher’s generous donation, which equates to around £5.3m, is by far the biggest to be made by a sports star or team.
Who cares what that equates to in pounds? ...and why does it say $10 million instead of how many Deutsche Marks it was and then convert that to U.S. Dollars? If this is a UK article, they double converted. There was no need to go from Marks to Dollars to Pounds!

Other than that, it's a great donation. The rich get to pick a few things each year for tax write offs to make themselves look like super heroes. Whoever it was here that had a few cents in their bank account and then donated 100.00 their next check is the real deal. How much do you think he would have donated if he was Schumacher seeing how much cash he rolls around in? 100 million?

As an example, Bill Gates donating one million is the equivalent of someone here donating about 50 cents.

Not to derail this...it's a good thing to see as it encourages others to donate. I prefer this sort of publicity for sports personalities and actors over the Baldwins threatening to leave every election and most of Hollywood making asses of themselves each election.
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Er, they didnt go from marks to dollars to pounds. He donated a nice round 10 million dollars because he gets paid in and keeps his money in US dollars, just like you do. His money has never been in marks. Its a UK article so naturally they noted how much that was in local currency so their readers would have a better immediate feel for how much cash that was, as is usual in most journalism. UK article for UK readers- THATS who cares. Its pretty bloody obvious.

And last, youre complaining that he "only" donated 10 mill because you think that its nothing to him, and that its therefore somehow a cheap publicity stunt. By your "oh he has 100 mill" estimate thats 10% of his LIFETIME net worth. Thats in the order of half a years pay. HALF A YEAR. When you donate half a years pay then you can open your mouth, till then keep quiet, you small, malignant man. Your bile is showing.

Varia
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Schumacher lost his bodyguard if I recall correctly. The donation was made over the phone, very subdued and was not an attempt to get attention at all.

I don't really like Schumacher but can't say anything negative about this.
Krurk
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Krurk »

Sorry, I could not find this on an acceptable news source such as Fox News, but since it did not have terrorism or Iraq in it, they won't run it.

http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/37895.htm

"- President Bush yesterday put his money where his mouth is by personally contributing $10,000 to the tsunami relief effort."

So where does that rank Winnow?

http://slate.msn.com/id/2084356

George Walker Bush
Net worth: $9,634,088-$26,593,000.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Winnow got owned by Varia. BY VARIA.

Put a fork in it, this thread is done.

Oh yea, good on you Mr. Schumacher.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

VariaVespasa wrote:Er, they didnt go from marks to dollars to pounds. He donated a nice round 10 million dollars because he gets paid in and keeps his money in US dollars, just like you do. His money has never been in marks. Its a UK article so naturally they noted how much that was in local currency so their readers would have a better immediate feel for how much cash that was, as is usual in most journalism. UK article for UK readers- THATS who cares. Its pretty bloody obvious.

And last, youre complaining that he "only" donated 10 mill because you think that its nothing to him, and that its therefore somehow a cheap publicity stunt. By your "oh he has 100 mill" estimate thats 10% of his LIFETIME net worth. Thats in the order of half a years pay. HALF A YEAR. When you donate half a years pay then you can open your mouth, till then keep quiet, you small, malignant man. Your bile is showing.

Varia
Nice to see people keeping their money in U.S. currency no matter what their nationality.

My bad on underestimating Schumacker's net worth. He made 49 million last year alone so your "HALF" is "WRONG".

Michael Schumacher Rank: 17 Wealth: $700 million
That was back in 2002 so your 10% is wrong as well. 1%, woo hoo and still needed for huge tax relief. He's most likely on the cusp of being a billionaire now. I forgive you for just going off of my wild assed guess of 100 million just like I didn't take the time to research why the currency was mentioned twice. Keep things U.S as that's the only currency that matters.

As for the comment about bush donating 10,000. That's for tsunami relief. You'd have to compare his net worth to Schumachers and also all of their other donations and contributions over the year. My point being again that a rich person can make a splash with a single huge donation.

Dregor chimes in as the new cheerleader. Glad you got to wave the pom poms. You don't get the chance that often.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I don't understand some peoples need to judge everyone and their every action. Who cares how much someone gives? Who are you to judge whether that was generous or generous enough? It's a fucking donation. No one is under any obligation to give a single red cent and if they do, then that's great. If they don't also great. Why are people judging others so much using their own beliefs, values and personal opinions? Some of you really need to take a hard look in the mirror before you make comments on these boards. Personally, I am disgusted with many people on this board after reading some of the responses in regards to this tragedy and donations.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

VariaVespasa wrote:
And last, youre complaining that he "only" donated 10 mill because you think that its nothing to him, and that its therefore somehow a cheap publicity stunt.
You also assume I was complaining about his donation amount. Why? All donations are appreciated. I was pointing out that others that are no where near his worth, contribute percentages far beyond the financial impact on their net worth of his contribution and we don't hear about it.

He was also directly affected by the tsunami, Bush wasn't and still donated. It didn't take a wave upside his head to donate. It's not an attack on the race car driver personally but an eye opener to what others that aren't even personally affected do to donate. How many other poor old ladies are there that make much more sacrifices financially to help?

These stories are nice, but I wouldn't start sucking his ass over it. Enjoy the guy for his racing abilities but he's no more special than millions of other people when it comes to helping out the world.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
VariaVespasa wrote: These stories are nice, but I wouldn't start sucking his ass over it. Enjoy the guy for his racing abilities but he's no more special than millions of other people when it comes to helping out the world.
Agreed.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I don't understand some peoples need to judge everyone and their every action. Who cares how much someone gives? Who are you to judge whether that was generous or generous enough? It's a fucking donation. No one is under any obligation to give a single red cent and if they do, then that's great.
Ok, im done laughing now, so i can reply now.
Wasnt it you that cared how much someone gives when you called people idiots for donating?
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:If they don't also great. Why are people judging others so much using their own beliefs, values and personal opinions? Some of you really need to take a hard look in the mirror before you make comments on these boards. Personally, I am disgusted with many people on this board after reading some of the responses in regards to this tragedy and donations.
And again, arent you around the only one that thought giving donations was a bad idea?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I don't understand some peoples need to judge everyone and their every action. Who cares how much someone gives? Who are you to judge whether that was generous or generous enough? It's a fucking donation. No one is under any obligation to give a single red cent and if they do, then that's great. If they don't also great.
I couldn't agree more.

Donating anything is a terrific gesture regardless of what percentage of personal wealth it is. Jesus, that angle is just ridiculous

The only person that needs to know how "generous" my wife and I are and to what institutions is our accountant. We, like Schumacher, don't do it in order to break our own arms patting our own backs, i can assure you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The story really should have mentioned something about him being affected by the tsunami and making a donation without mentioning amounts as it doesn't matter.

A final note on this thread and subject. I am most impressed by those that give their TIME and not money to causes like these. Time is much more valuable than money. You can pump money all you want, but the people doing the actual work are the main heroes of the day.

Take someone like a Schumacher who instead of donating, gives up a year and goes and helps rebuild. He is certainly in a position to do that. That would warrant a wow and awe from me. Anyone can write off an amount of money to taxes and it's a great thing and appreciated by anyone who does so...not everyone will actually take the time to do something themselves. Most people can't afford to do that but can afford to donate which is the next best thing. Imagine a world relief worker in the mold of Pat Tillman if you will. That would be my awe and inspiration for a rich person but wouldn't make them any better than a Varia doing the same thing for example. You still sacrifice something to give your time no matter what your position is in society.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Hesten wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I don't understand some peoples need to judge everyone and their every action. Who cares how much someone gives? Who are you to judge whether that was generous or generous enough? It's a fucking donation. No one is under any obligation to give a single red cent and if they do, then that's great.
Ok, im done laughing now, so i can reply now.
Wasnt it you that cared how much someone gives when you called people idiots for donating?
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:If they don't also great. Why are people judging others so much using their own beliefs, values and personal opinions? Some of you really need to take a hard look in the mirror before you make comments on these boards. Personally, I am disgusted with many people on this board after reading some of the responses in regards to this tragedy and donations.
And again, arent you around the only one that thought giving donations was a bad idea?
No to both. Try and change your perception of what I said and maybe you will be able to understand.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Winnow wrote:The story really should have mentioned something about him being affected by the tsunami and making a donation without mentioning amounts as it doesn't matter.

A final note on this thread and subject. I am most impressed by those that give their TIME and not money to causes like these. Time is much more valuable than money. You can pump money all you want, but the people doing the actual work are the main heroes of the day.

Take someone like a Schumacher who instead of donating, gives up a year and goes and helps rebuild. He is certainly in a position to do that. That would warrant a wow and awe from me. Anyone can write off an amount of money to taxes and it's a great thing and appreciated by anyone who does so...not everyone will actually take the time to do something themselves. Most people can't afford to do that but can afford to donate which is the next best thing. Imagine a world relief worker in the mold of Pat Tillman if you will. That would be my awe and inspiration for a rich person but wouldn't make them any better than a Varia doing the same thing for example. You still sacrifice something to give your time no matter what your position is in society.
Actually, what is needed most at the moment is money. Period. I called to volunteer in any capacity and apart from waving a collection box around, there wasn't any job for me. They would rather have my money. Tons of people have volunteered to go out there and help, hands on - but they've been asked not to.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Winnow wrote:The story really should have mentioned something about him being affected by the tsunami and making a donation without mentioning amounts as it doesn't matter.

Actually, what is needed most at the moment is money. Period. I called to volunteer in any capacity and apart from waving a collection box around, there wasn't any job for me. They would rather have my money. Tons of people have volunteered to go out there and help, hands on - but they've been asked not to.
Agreed, it's case by case. Money makes the world go around for the most part. Being proactive over reacting to any known situation in need of aid is desirable in cases that aren't natural disasters that occur suddenly.

No single person can be a world saviour and help with every issue the planet has. Each person has their own comfort level or guilt level with regard to helping those in need. You can always do more and there is no guide as to what you should do. It's a difficult question. Should you feel bad because a child is starving in Africa? What is the price to feel better about yourself? 10.00? 20.00? Time spent in Africa serving food to starving african kids?

Your comment about money being needed is a valid point. Inspired people that go beyond the call of duty in any "worthy" cause is music to my ears. At the same time, I don't think everyone needs to take up a cause to feel good about themself.

Am I better than Varia because I donate more? ...or am I still an asshole that donates more? Placing a dollar figure on what anyone gives doesn't get the real point across. That's what originally set me off in this post. Unfortunately, when it comes to famous people, the general public eats that information up. If some other no name individual with a nine figure bank account donates 10 million, we won't hear about it.

We need more stories about Joe Slurpee that works fast food, donating 10.00 because he was in India training his replacement and was affected by the tsunami. Stories about the scuba divers that stopped and carried bodies, aided people, and tried to help on the scene are more directly related to the positive side of humanity. Donators should be thanked but not tagged with a dollar figure which serves no purpose. In this case, it has more to do with the journalist than the donator unless it publicity agents are involved.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I personally don't want to hear about individual contributions by people. I don't care. I care that people, in general, are helping the cause for those people over there. That is all. They have, are and will get more money thrown at them than they could possibly use. My concerns are that the scumbags in those governments, within the 100's of donating organizations, don't take too much of the money that should be going towards those people.

We've already seen how the "trusted" UN can rape the Iraqi people of their money through the oil for food scandal and it will happen during this cause as well. Hopefully the media, UN, and other governing bodies will pay more atention to the distribution of these funds rather than bragging about who has given more, etc.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

What can I say, I agree with Mid again. Twice in one day, go figure.

I really hope the money will help. I mean, aside from the infrastructure being completely ruined and, far more importantly, the lives that were lost maintaining that infrastructure, the money has to end up in the hands that can use it. Whether that's to help families that will get no insurance (if they even have it) because of every insurance company's natural disaster clause, to trying to rebuild that region w/out overpriced contractors hired by friends of someone in power syphoning out countless dollars w/out the donator's knowledge.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

An example of what irks me when it comes to donations:
O'Neal said he would donate $1,000 to disaster relief efforts in South Asia for every point he scored against San Antonio but opted instead to donate $55,000 based on the 55 points he scored against Milwaukee on Tuesday night. O'Neal was one of several players -- including Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Pau Gasol, Jalen Rose, Bob Sura and Mike Miller -- represented by agent Arn Tellem who said he would make the contribution based on Thursday's and Friday's scoring. Tellem agreed to match the highest donation.
Publicity at its finest. Money is appreciated. Making a spectacle out of it isn't as the common person doesn't need to hype their donations.

Funny...all represented by one agent who matched the donation...I wonder how that came about....."hey jermaine...here's a good way to improve your image....hey Kobe..."
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

Even Mother Teresa was trying to get into heaven. There is no such thing as a selfless good deed. Does it matter whether the person does it for the good feeling they get from helping others or to improve their public image? I don't think so. What counts is that they made the effort, big or small, to help someone in need.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Yeah, well, ask the people on the receiving end of these donations if they care that the individuals concerned got a little publicity.

It also throws into sharp relief the Bush administration's initial pledge of $15 million. I don't hear you pissing on them for not quietly giving indeterminate aid either.

You might find a fry cook donating $10 to be inspirational, I'm sure many people find celebrity largess just as inspirational, and it makes better copy.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Couple of points about Schumacher for Winnow..

- He doesn't get as much money from advertisement by far as athletes here do. I can actually only remember seeing him in one advertisement ever. He doesn't really need the media attention or to make a "splash".

- Schumacher does indeed donate time, but his time is very limited. His line of work (like other athletes) have a natural limit in how long they can do the job (well if you are not Randy Johnson or Griffey or something). Once that tiime limit is reached he can (and most likely will) donate more time.

I don't think he wanted attention over this, not like the basketball players who turned the donation into a show.

Oh and as a side note.. some countries in Africa basically go through 3-4 Tsunami-like tragedies a year. Every year. Unfortunately, it is not "flashy" like a Tsunami so they don't get this kind of monetary support.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kelshara wrote:
Oh and as a side note.. some countries in Africa basically go through 3-4 Tsunami-like tragedies a year. Every year. Unfortunately, it is not "flashy" like a Tsunami so they don't get this kind of monetary support.
Exactly one of my many points on this thread. There's pain and suffering constantly going on. If you are a caring type person, determine what you feel you are able to contribute and setup a yearly or monthly contribution to a worthy organization. A sudden catastrophy like this one shouldn't impact your dedication to a cause unless you are giving additional contributions on top of what you've already determined was your comfort level and ability to contribute throughout the year as a steady flow of donations is more helpful to a broader range of continuing problems.

I've avoided direct attacks on Schumacher because I have no reason to believe he was doing this for publicity. He happened to be over there when "the shit went down" and the closeness of it all prompted him to donate.

It disturbs me to see agents organizing publicity stunts for their players like the one I quoted above but whatever floats your boat I guess. I don't call up the newspaper when I make a donation and see no reason why it matters unless you're trying to impress someone with your donation.

Kobe rapes women but donated 1,000 per point to the tsunami relief. Lets call it even. Maybe they should have one of those walkathons. I'll donate 10 cents for every lap NBA players walk around a track....too late, I already donated without the need for a spectacle. I'm going to donate 1.00 for every post I make next week on VV! Tell the newspapers! How lame. I need to consult with teh fnord to see if that would improve my image first.
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Doesn't this belong in the sports section!? Well not the original post, but what it's turned into!
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

How very big of you to forgive me for commenting based on YOUR original "facts".

How very honest of you to carefully hide your forgiveness behind two paragraphs of "you are WRONG", in much the same way that you hid "its a great donation" behind a nitpicking paragraph and then again behind a "damn gloryhounds" paragraph in your original post about Schumachers' donation. Your integrity and intent just shines through... :P

*Hugs*
Varia
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

so, Schumacher kicks ass in teh real world because he donated $10 million?

does everyone that didn't donate $10 million suck ass?

also, where was all this support when FL was getting pounded with multiple hurricanes?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Spang wrote:so, Schumacher kicks ass in teh real world because he donated $10 million?

does everyone that didn't donate $10 million suck ass?

also, where was all this support when FL was getting pounded with multiple hurricanes?
Hrmm, have you had a look at some of those sat. images? They weren't pounded, they were wiped off the face of the earth. And what was the death toll in Florida anyway? I think more Americans were killed in the tsunami than in Florida hurricanes...
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

so support is based on death tolls?

money doesn't bring back life. but it does rebuild what was lost.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

It's a simple concept, Spang. The loss of life has a fairly direct correlation to the severity of the event. Hurricane Charley was reported on CNN to have caused 13 deaths.. and I don't recall seeing entire regions turned from residential areas to mud flats, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I know it's hard when you're comparing brown people to Americans; 3000 dead in NY, 100,000 dead in the middle east and you're not even yet.

Just go and check out the sat photos in the other thread, really, then when you have any idea of the devestation you're talking about, get back to us.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Of course, there is also two facts that Spang ignores (and most likely on purpose since I believe he is nothing but a troll):

- These countries are extremely poor. The US (even with it's national debt) is not.

- These countries survive on pretty much one thing: Tourism. Last I checked Florida survived as a retirement home!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Midnyte Bleats
We've already seen how the "trusted" UN can rape the Iraqi people of their money through the oil for food scandal and it will happen during this cause as well

Is this not the most laughably hypocritical piece of shit statement you have ever seen?

Not to sway too far off topic but for fucks sake, you are actually allowing this bile to go without reply?

Grats quickest way to devolve your empire!

On topic, Grats Shumi, at least your not undermining the world council with your unilateral stance to everything for no reason other than resentment!