should I buy EQ2?

Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

should I buy EQ2?

Post by Tenuvil »

I quit EQ basically because playing 8 hrs a day 7 days a week grinding away to get to the endgame screwed my {relationship,job,life,health}. My ex fiancee / now gf took me back after a year apart, with some setbacks and some penalties. She made me promise I'd never go back to online gaming of that sort again, which I accepted.

My big question is, to you that are playing EQ2 happily now, is: should I buy this and play knowing I can't do anything but casual play (no more than a couple hours a night, three or so nights a week, ABSOLUTELY no extended camps or 8PM - 3AM raids)?

Tnaks for honest feedback.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Raids, I can't tell you. They say that there is instanced raid encoutners that could take 2-3hrs, and instanced raid zones that could take 4 - 6. What I've heard is that you can BE casual, raid once a week, and get as far into the game as a hardcore player raiding 6 days a week, IE: all content SHOULD be accessable regardless of if you're the Knights that say Nei or the Fires of Satan's Hemrroids.

Content wise, up to level 9 so far, is pretty even. You can solo for bad exp, you can do solo quests for ok rewards. You can get groups on the fly for quests that have better exp and better rewards.

I'm happy with it as a casual gamer.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: should I buy EQ2?

Post by Animalor »

Tenuvil wrote:I quit EQ basically because playing 8 hrs a day 7 days a week grinding away to get to the endgame screwed my {relationship,job,life,health}. My ex fiancee / now gf took me back after a year apart, with some setbacks and some penalties. She made me promise I'd never go back to online gaming of that sort again, which I accepted.

My big question is, to you that are playing EQ2 happily now, is: should I buy this and play knowing I can't do anything but casual play (no more than a couple hours a night, three or so nights a week, ABSOLUTELY no extended camps or 8PM - 3AM raids)?

If you're relationship ended because of the 1st version of the game, buying the 2nd would be strike 1 in the 2nd version of the relationship.

If you're happy in this relationship, don't even risk it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tenuvil wrote:I quit EQ basically because playing 8 hrs a day 7 days a week grinding away to get to the endgame screwed my {relationship,job,life,health}. My ex fiancee / now gf took me back after a year apart, with some setbacks and some penalties. She made me promise I'd never go back to online gaming of that sort again, which I accepted.

You can level up to 50 on tradeskills alone. It's possible to solo up to around level 15 and then easy enough to find groups in a short playtime to level up to 20ish. After that, I don't know how things would be without a guild but I'm pretty sure pickup groups continue at higher levels.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

you can solo at any level, I was level 15 and soloing level 18 and 19 monsters. There are group and solo encounters and can be done fairly easily, just theres a lot more exp bonus in groups.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Animalor wrote:

If you're relationship ended because of the 1st version of the game, buying the 2nd would be strike 1 in the 2nd version of the relationship.

If you're happy in this relationship, don't even risk it.
My relationship ended not necessarily because of EQ, but rather because I was freakin glued to the computar from the time I came home until the wee small hours of the morning, and pretty much all weekend long, to the exclusion of all else. I'm wanting to know if I can do EQ2 casually yet successfully. Who knows, I may get her to play along with me this time :)
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

If you can restrict yourself and just play casually you should be fine. No matter how much it appears you can do well casually, you won't ever be as uber as if you were in a high end raiding guild. You just have to be able to put that burning desire away. It's something I know I need to keep in check as well. I figure as long as I go into the game knowing I will not be in a uber high end 6 days a week raiding guild, I will be fine. I just wish I would win the fucking lottery already so I can play all day everyday. How sad I feel that way, LOL.