What do you think about the world?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Voter turnout

Post by Animalor »

I was looking at voter turnout last night and I havta say that although 100+ million voters is quite an impressive number.

Anyone know what the turnout % is?

Also, anyone else think that 4+hour waits in certain states means that the election infractructure is somewhat lacking in parts of the country? Should there be infractructure in place to allow quick, expedient voting for 100% of the electorate?

Just random thoughts.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I was actually thinking that the number of votes was pretty far under the estimates projected yesterday. Talk of 115 mil quickly became a possible 120 mil. I think what they are finding is that while younger voters registered in record amounts, they had a pretty dismal showing at the polls.

Just a shame they can't make a uniform voting system. I feel bad for people having to punch holes. Jersey's machines are so simple to use and very difficult to make an error on. Probably why there isn't many lines in my district.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

I was pissed off with the youth vote. Tons of sources were reporting a huge increase in youth voter turnout. Then cnn reports 17% youth vote, we had 17% in 2000, what the fuck happened?
Bren
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Bren »

Last I knew it was up to 71.2% the highest since 64'.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I believe the young voter turnout was dashed by reports of long line to vote.

These are probably the same people who will wait 16 hours in the snow for Britney Spear or Eminem tickets but not 2 hours to go vote.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

I definitely agree that 3 or 4 hours in line is rediculous. Here in WI, the wait at my voting location was less than ten minutes. We use a paper ballot with a pencil to fill in the circles. Really easy and you don't even have to go in a private booth.

I like how Oregon does there voting with all mail in votes. I think this would be a good way to get those non-voters to actually vote. We do have absentee ballots here in WI which works similarly but you have to have an excuse for using them. I would say do away with the excuse.
Deward
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

Time makes more converts than reason. - Thomas Paine
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

People don't stand in line for four hours to vote for someone they think is doing a good job. They stand in line for four hours because there's no way they were going to let a frenchy in the White House!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

60% is an impressive turnout.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

60% is impressive for us, unfortunately theres no reason why we shouldn't strive for 100%. In Europe elections are 70% without a doubt.
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I was just looking at Canada's turnout this wear for comparison's sake and this year was our apparently our 3rd lowest turnout ever for an election and we still got 62% of the eligible voters to vote.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/election/nation ... 40629.html
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Theres a figure of like 1 out of 7 people, the ages between 18-24 voted in Florida.

Why even fucking apply to vote, and not show up? Jesus a Florida is so damn stupid.

Im glad all this shit is over with. For better or worse, Bush is the pres. I can only hope, he relizes half the country disagrees with him and he tries to change in some way.

Other than that, I'm happy over all. For the fuckers who will bitch and moan about bush being in office, and never voted can go die. Although Im only one person, my vote did count by showing Bush, I didnt approve of things he has done.
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

Canada still sucks. Literally.

Is it true that less than one half of one percent of your population makes over $250k? With the taxes there I'm amazed even those are still staying.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Oh no Rekaar pulled the tax card! We lose automatically now!
Forthe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Brutus709

Post by Forthe »

Rekaar. wrote:Canada still sucks. Literally.

Is it true that less than one half of one percent of your population makes over $250k? With the taxes there I'm amazed even those are still staying.
Rekaar is just doing his small part to prove the ignorance of americans.
All posts are personal opinion.
My opinion may == || != my guild's.
"All spelling mistakes were not on purpose as I dont know shit ." - Torrkir
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Even if that statement is true, I enjoy paying 35 cents for medication, thank you.
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

Animalor wrote:I was just looking at Canada's turnout this wear for comparison's sake and this year was our apparently our 3rd lowest turnout ever for an election and we still got 62% of the eligible voters to vote.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/election/nation ... 40629.html
It was 60.5% for 2004. Also remember that this is compared to the age of voter eligablity, and not to registered voters, as you can walk up to voting booths in Canada and provide ID and vote, you do not need to register in advance.

http://www.nodice.ca/election2004/voterturnout.html

That will give you the Canadian Turnouts over the years.

As for Retard Rekaar, according to his logic, only 150,000 Canadians make $250,000+/year, which is quite frankly, a crock of shit.

Yes we pay higher taxes in Canada, but we also get a lot more social benefits. Is it perfect? No, but if people truly did hate it, they'd leave. I personally don't mind paying higher taxes if it means we pay off our debt and get everything under control. We're making strides in that direction, and that's a positive.
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

The youth vote remained unchanged, relative to last election, but was actually larger. It was just that every other demographic showed up too. Still, it is a sad and depressing commentary on the level of awareness of the nation's youth that so few bothered to vote.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Bush carried white men, voters with family income over $50,000 and weekly churchgoers. Three-fourths of white voters who described themselves as born-again Christians or evangelicals supported Bush. Those white evangelicals — a crucial voting bloc for the president — represented about a fifth of all voters. Their top issue was moral values.
This breaks it down by demographic.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Forthe wrote:

Rekaar is just doing his small part to prove the ignorance of americans.
He asked a question, you ignorant piece of shit. Why don't you try being conversational a lil bit and answer him. He obviously is curious about it. After reading his question, I am also curious. I find other cultures, governments interesting. Do tell.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Did you read the first sentence Midnyte? Rekaar was you, just with a different country in mind. If someone comes in and says, "The US Sucks. Literally," then proceeded to ask, "How much do people in the US make?" you could be damn sure you'd be jumping down their throats for dissing on the US. Then you'd tell them to leave if they dont' like it. So get off your moral high horse before you fall and break your neck.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Wow, more proof that Midnyte can't fucking read. Don't you ever get tired of fucking up?

So how are things? Im curious to know.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

You know it's kind of funny to see Rekaar bitch about taxes when the average Norwegian (and I am sure Canadian as well) has more buying power than the average American.

Oh wait that can't be! We pay our entire salary in taxes!
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

Calling me ignorant without being able to disprove my claim...there's a word for that. Help me out here.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

It's extremely encouraging that voter turn-out was up so high.

It's extremely discouraging that so many of them are mouth-breathing half-embryos that would need an owner's manual to operate a fucking straw.