MSNBC Poll

What do you think about the world?
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

MSNBC Poll

Post by Marbus »

Nice check on the issues IMHO. I already knew where I stood, agreed with Bush on about 3, and Kerry on all the rest. However I would be that some people taking this might be surprised...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5993610/

Marb
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I really find it hard to work out if a poll like that is deliberately partisan, or if Bush's track record and policies are so poor that it just looks that way...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's a shame news sites are so biased. That's an incredibly biased presentation of issues.

I suppose you could go find a poll/survey on FOX News just as biased for the other side.
Last edited by Winnow on September 15, 2004, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

I realize this may be coming from a more liberal biased news company, but its the best comprehensive webpage with the issues lined up that I've seen in a while.

Abortion - Kerry, I'm in favor of abortion, just because I don't want to see an 18 year old girl walking around with a 3 year old daughter because she was knocked up and didn't use protection for whatever reason. That in itself is like an instant ruined life there, a girl who will forever have to probably not go through college, get a job, possibly drop out. Teenagers do stupid things, they're lives don't need to be ruined over it. I'm for protecting the being thats already in this world, the one that has 13+ years under the belt already.

Budget - Kerry, The budget at the moment is downright shit, despite slightly higher taxes, which wouldn't really affect me directly, it'll affect some family members, but I think for the good of the nation the deficit needs to drop. I doubt the country could cut it in half over the next few years, but even 1/3 would be a step in the right direction. All I see from Bush is an overwhelming amount of money being spent on the military and the homeland security. Guarenteed there is quite a bit of money going to waste somewhere through impractical means, i.e. no bid contracts.

Death Penalty - Kerry, I'm not really for the death penalty, I realize that keeping criminals in jail for life makes them up for parol in 40 (unless no parol given). But there are enough people out there to be put on death row and due to new scientific evidence are being released with the real killer / rapist on the loose. In extreme situations, sure, kill 'em, but for the most part I'm against the Death Penalty.

Economy - Even, I don't exactly trust Bush with the economy. He seems to love his foreign affairs and pay little attention to the nation's economy other than boosting it by throwing us deeper into the hole by giving more tax cuts. Other than that, they seem to both be saying the same thing in regards to the economy. Benefits for hiring more people, tax benefits to smaller companies for help in health insurance. I don't like the estate tax reinstatement by Kerry, I think family owned farms are a good thing and they shouldn't be taxed for keeping it in the family. I'm all for the minimum wage increase, as when I return from college, I will be seeking a job, and hopefully it pays well!

Education - Kerry, As a college student any benefits towards me I'll take, therefore Kerry wins this one hands down.

Energy - Kerry, this is where I really move away from Bush. I'm tired of seeing the gas guzzling H2 on the highway as I angrily pass it going 90mph. I think the soccer moms need to stop and the country move more in a direction of alternative methods of fuel. I like the sound of 36mph, and so should everyone else, less demand for gas, meaning prices going down a bit. And you would need it less often! No more filling up a gas tank 2 times a week and spending $25 a pop with my 25mpg (can't imagine what the H2 must cost to live with let alone its sticker price). Not sure about the additive, if its in there, it must have a purpose, otherwise it'd be taken out, so I'll leave that one be. The Alaskan oil issue I'd probably support the drilling if it was guarenteed not to spill, but knowing humans and oil, there is always an oil spill someday, and that would be detrimental to a beautiful place on this earth.

Environment - Kerry, I don't much care where the nuclear waste is, as long as its not in my backyard (popular thought huh), both favor moving toward a nation that is less dependent on fossil fuels. But knowing the current administration's links to major oil producers, I highly doubt Bush is telling the truth on that one. I see this one as an empty promise.

Foreign Policy - Kerry, I was for retaliating against Afganistan, but I never thought invading and bombing Iraq was necessary. Even more so after seeing that there was no evidence of WMDs or chemical weapons. Bush's foreign policy seems to have turned the world against us in so many ways, seeing us as ignorant and more like a bully. Away from the old look of the hero to save the day like in other wars in this century. Frankly, I think a hands off approach would be good for our look, taking away from the current bloodthirsty image and greedy oil barrons that we appear to be.

Gay and Lesbian Issues - slightly Kerry - I really think gay and lesbians should be their own people, I don't care about the sanctity of marriage since I'm an atheist. It's much more about loving a person and getting a tax benefit that everyone else gets rather than whether or not your god or someone else's god intended it to be. I'm a firm believer that every man is created equal and they should have the same rights as everyone else. If the church doesn't want to allow it, thats their business, but I think the state needs to keep out of it, or at least give the civil union / life partner the same benefits (and then they can dress up or whatever and get married for fun).

Guns - Bush - Personally I don't see the use of guns in every day life. I live in the suburbs and I don't see the need for personal protection with a deadly weapon or even hear of the need 10 miles in any direction. Rifles, bows, hunting weapons, alright they're clearly hunting weapons. But I have no idea why congress allowed the assault weapons ban to expire, theres no need for such weapons. I don't think companies should have lawsuits brought up against them since there should be laws in the first place banning deliberate deadly weapons. I think people kill people not guns. If someone really wants to kill you, they'll kill you one way or another, and killing someone with a legal gun is a death trap anyway. If they wanted to kill you, they'd buy an untracable gun off the black market like everyone else.

Health Care - Kerry - Considering the gradually increasing amounts of people losing health care each year since Bush has been president, probably falls in line with the increasing unemployment during the recessionary period we went through, can't exactly blame Bush. At least I don't think so, but the fact of the matter is it is increasing and there needs to be something to better help out. I like Kerry's plan to get 27 million more people health care. Somehow I don't think he'll get that number since 890 million dollars is a hefty price tag. But the effort is there. Veterans also deserve an increase since current Veteran hospitals are absolute shit. (nurses and doctors in the family agree)

Homeland Security - Neither - I don't know why we changed the name from Defense to Homeland Security, its just America's way of making words longer to make them sound more important (see George Carlin). I think the Patriot Act is an infracture of the rights of citizens in the US, against the basic freedoms we guide by. Personally I felt safe in this country at all times, even September 12th, never felt a drip of fear to go on a plane or whatever. Bush currently has a recovering paranoid nation's pulse under control and is planning to implement all sorts of new programs to prevent future events. Most of which I think is a waste of money, we should probably improve our image to the world to prevent future terrorism. Switzerland doesn't get bombed, theres a reason behind that. They don't invade helpless countries off a whim. So basically I side with neither.

Immigration - Kerry - I don't think we should be bringing people from other countries with jobs lined up, perhaps grant a 2 year visa like everyone else, but theres no reason to give citizenship off of a job. After being in the country for five years, and going about your life in an honest living, I can agree with citizenship for that. By that time one should understand the country and what our culture is like.

Iraq - Kerry - I really think this invasion was ridiculous, tons of bad information and "intelligence" lead to over a thousand US soldiers and tens of thousand dead Iraqis. It's made our image to the world that of dog shit and probably increased terrorism as a result. I don't think its shady for Kerry to vote against the extra $87 billion dollar reinforcement, as it was becoming evident that our forces were not finding the items that we set out to find. Its funny how the news stations stopped talking about WMDs and started talking about Iraqi Freedom when it became obvious that we invaded a country for no reason.

Religion - Kerry - I don't think religion has any part of the government of today. I realize that 99% of this country believes in god, but either way, the constitution says, separation of church and state. I don't need to hear Bush tell me that god is on our side to stop evil and then the people of iraq say god will help them. Its ridiculous, God has nothing to do with it. Its the egos of men that brings "god" to their side and a ton of people end up dead as a result. Way to go God. Its the typical, "Do you believe in God?" "No" *gunshot to the head*. "Do you believe in God?" "Yes!"... "Do you believe in MY god?" "No" *gunshot to the head* "My god has a bigger dick than your god."

Trade - Bush - I'm for free trade, though I don't think Bush should be going against the WTO, he should be more political about the matter.
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

In June 2003, Mahmoud Abbas, then the Palestinian prime minister, said that in a conversation with Bush, the president told him: “God told me to strike at al-Qaida, and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did.”

I thought intelligence reports told you that and you were reluctant... Oh and lots of people claim that god told them to do things, some are murderers i.e. the guy that murdered his family due to being told that god told him to...
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Wow, they didn't even make an attempt to guise how biased this is.
Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mak »

Rivera Bladestrike wrote:In June 2003, Mahmoud Abbas, then the Palestinian prime minister, said that in a conversation with Bush, the president told him: “God told me to strike at al-Qaida, and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did.”
Short of actually seeing Bush say this on a clear, undoctored video tape I will flatly refuse to believe he said this.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Wow, they didn't even make an attempt to guise how biased this is.
What made it biased. It probably is, but you seem to throw it out a lot or repeat what other reps say like a fucking parrot. So tell me, what makes it biased.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I would have a hard time believing in anything said by a foreign source. Mainly because I don't want a foreign source influencing how America is going to vote. I just don't know their motives. This goes for information going for or against any candidate.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Mak wrote:
Rivera Bladestrike wrote:In June 2003, Mahmoud Abbas, then the Palestinian prime minister, said that in a conversation with Bush, the president told him: “God told me to strike at al-Qaida, and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did.”
Short of actually seeing Bush say this on a clear, undoctored video tape I will flatly refuse to believe he said this.
He has claimed to do God's work more than once, and has said he prays to God for guidance for his decissions and that he gets them. Pretty eerily similar to what bin Laden says.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Wow, they didn't even make an attempt to guise how biased this is.
In your opinion, what makes it biased?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:
Read the first two questions. If you can't see how negative they made the positions for Bush and how positive/neutral they made the Kerry positions, I don't know what to tell you.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Opposition to abortion (except in very narrow cases of rape, incest or threat to the woman’s life is endangered) is at the core of Bush’s "right-to-life" platform. Opposes funding international organizations involved in abortion. Opposes intact dilation and extraction, known by opponents as "partial-birth abortion," which he calls a "brutal and violent practice." Opposes school-based clinics that provide referrals or counseling for contraception and abortion. Supports legislation to extend 14th Amendment protections to unborn children.

How is that negative.
That sums up Dubya's views on abortion quite nicely.

Approved record deficits in a time of recession, war, terrorism and tax cuts. Budget in surplus when Bush took office; $521 billion deficit is projected this year. The president's budget plan for 2005 says annual deficits can be cut by half in five years. Bush proposes that Congress limit discretionary spending in programs outside defense and homeland security to a 0.5 percent increase next year.
In order for a budget to get passed, the president has to approve it.
When Clinton left office, the budget did have a surplus.
After bush took office, the budget did have record deficits.

It does make mention of a 5 year plan to cut budget deficits.

I looks pretty accurate to me... not sure how you can claim that it's biased.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Okay, let's pretend for a minute that I cannot access the article and that I'd like you to tell me what makes it biased. (I actually cannot access it right now, keep getting a javascript error and the page is not displaying) Are they misrepresenting someone's views on an issue?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I was going to do some cut and pasting but it appears they have pulled their own poll. LOL
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Mid, I cut and pasted the two examples you stated were biased.
Please explain to us why you think they are biased.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Mid, I cut and pasted the two examples you stated were biased.
In order to do so I need the two contrasting summaries of Kerry's position. Get me those and I will do it.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Sylvus wrote:Okay, let's pretend for a minute that I cannot access the article and that I'd like you to tell me what makes it biased. (I actually cannot access it right now, keep getting a javascript error and the page is not displaying) Are they misrepresenting someone's views on an issue?
It's some fancy javascript app. No way to cut and paste.

It's largely an accurate representation of their positions however it uses semantic and style tricks in the wording.

Like Kerry's position on the economy was covered in one sentance that he backs cutting the deficient in half. No mention that it's not possible using the one single idea (raising taxes on the wealthy). Bush on the other hand is blamed for the deficit with little mention of the economic shock due to 9/11.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
In order to do so I need the two contrasting summaries of Kerry's position. Get me those and I will do it.
Man, you're a real piece of work.

If you can't see how negative they made the positions for Bush and how positive/neutral they made the Kerry positions, I don't know what to tell you
No, I can't see how they made Bush's position on the economy and abortion appear negative.

If you can't even explain yourself and your views, why do you even bother posting?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Bush on the other hand is blamed for the deficit with little mention of the economic shock due to 9/11.
Infact, it did mention recession, terrorism and war in the first sentance.

If you can't blame the current administration for the budget deficit, who the hell are you supposed to blame?
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

miir wrote:If you can't even explain yourself and your views, why do you even bother posting?
There you go again.

Here's a clue Miir, you should get a job as a censor.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
Man, you're a real piece of work.

If you can't see how negative they made the positions for Bush and how positive/neutral they made the Kerry positions, I don't know what to tell you
No, I can't see how they made Bush's position on the economy and abortion appear negative.

If you can't even explain yourself and your views, why do you even bother posting?
I've said it already, but I'll say it again. If they didn't retract their bullshit poll I could show you my point.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
Bush on the other hand is blamed for the deficit with little mention of the economic shock due to 9/11.
Infact, it did mention recession, terrorism and war in the first sentance.

If you can't blame the current administration for the budget deficit, who the hell are you supposed to blame?
It's not always about blaming someone. Sometimes it's a miriad of reasons why something is. Demanding blame be put on one party in these cases is very narrow minded.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

OK, perhaps 'Blame' was a poor choice of word.

How's this?

If you can't hold the current administration responsible for the budget (deficit or surplus), who the hell are you supposed to hold responsible?

If they didn't retract their bullshit poll I could show you my point.
I doubt there was any alterior motive or conspiracy behind the removal of this quiz/poll.
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

It wasn't pulled, the link still works fine for me.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Economic changes take several years for them to go into effect.
IE: Changing laws and raising taxes may take up to 3, 4 years for the effects to be truly noticed. It's become commonplace for every administration to take the claim the benifits of the work of the previous admin before it. Clinton did it, Bush did it.

If bush does any good in office in regards to the budget, it won't be noticed until his second term or Kerry's first.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

here are issues 1 through 6 out of 17 issues in the poll, If this works I'll keep pharming VV's...I mean pasting them in.

ABORTION
President Bush
Opposition to abortion (except in very narrow cases of rape, incest or threat to the woman’s life is endangered) is at the core of Bush’s "right-to-life" platform. Opposes funding international organizations involved in abortion. Opposes intact dilation and extraction, known by opponents as "partial-birth abortion," which he calls a "brutal and violent practice." Opposes school-based clinics that provide referrals or counseling for contraception and abortion. Supports legislation to extend 14th Amendment protections to unborn children.

Sen. John Kerry
Supports legal abortion and says he would not pick Supreme Court nominees justices who disagreed. Kerry voted against measures to outlaw intact dilation and extraction, and he has endorsed family planning and health insurance plans that provide abortion counseling and contraceptive coverage.
BUDGET
President Bush
Approved record deficits in a time of recession, war, terrorism and tax cuts. Budget in surplus when Bush took office; $521 billion deficit is projected this year. The president's budget plan for 2005 says annual deficits can be cut by half in five years. Bush proposes that Congress limit discretionary spending in programs outside defense and homeland security to a 0.5 percent increase next year.

Sen. John Kerry
Says he would cut deficit by half, at least, in first term, in part through repeal of Bush tax cuts for wealthier Americans.
DEATH PENALTY
President Bush
The president oversaw 152 executions as governor of Texas, calling it an effective deterrent. "I don’t think you should support the death penalty to seek revenge," he said during the 2000 campaign. "I don’t think that’s right. I think the reason to support the death penalty is because it saves other people’s lives."

Sen. John Kerry
Kerry is the first major-party nominee for president to oppose the death penalty since Michael Dukakis in 1988. He opposes all executions except in extreme instances of terrorism, saying they are racially biased and flawed in their application. Kerry has sponsored legislation to impose a moratorium on federal executions.
ECONOMY
President Bush
Has not detailed an economic program for the next four years but has made a priority out of extending the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts and make them permanent to ensure continued economic growth. He also has discussed the need for broad reform to simplify the federal income tax structure. Bush has called for reforms to cut down on "junk and frivolous" lawsuits which are "driving up the cost of doing business in America," according to the Republican platform. In a six-point plan unveiled last year, he called for streamlining of business regulations and reporting requirements and said he would continue working to open new foreign markets through free-trade agreements. To ease the business burden of health care costs, Bush proposes boosting the tax benefits associated with medical savings accounts and allowing small businesses to pool their resources to get better deals in insurance. Bush's target is to cut the deficit in half within five years as a percentage of gross domestic product. The administration "will continue to work with Congress to study the various minimum wage proposals," according to the campaign Web site.

Sen. John Kerry
Has linked jobs and health care as the centerpiece of his economic package. And he has promised to cut the federal budget deficit in half over four years, restoring fiscal discipline through "pay-as-you-go" financing for new programs.Kerry says he would create 10 million jobs in four years, an aggressive but not implausible target. As an incentive he would offer an employer tax credit for new jobs created in manufacturing and certain other businesses. The tax credit would be worth about $3,000 for a job paying $40,000 a year. Kerry is proposing tax credits to help small and midsized businesses pay for employee health care, which has been blamed for slow job growth. Kerry says he would create U.S. jobs by ending a tax benefit enjoyed by American companies with operations overseas. And he would offer a onetime tax break for companies that repatriate some of the $600 billion in U.S. profits being held abroad. Kerry would pay for his proposals by raising taxes on the wealthiest Americans earning more than $200,000 a year, reversing Bush-era reductions. The estate tax would be restored, but exemptions would be raised from previous levels to $4 million per couple and $10 million for a family-owned business or farm. Kerry would lower the top corporate tax rate from 35 to 33.25 percent. Kerry also would reverse recent changes in overtime regulations and support legislation raising the federal minimum wage to $7 an hour by 2007 from the current $5.15.
EDUCATION
President Bush
Championed a bipartisan overhaul of elementary and secondary education that toughened standards for teachers, schools and student achievement. Federal spending on education has jumped nearly 50 percent since Bush took office.

Sen. John Kerry
Would establish $3.2 billion community service plan for high school students that would qualify them for the equivalent of their states’ four-year public college tuition if they perform two years of national service. Provide a tax credit for every year of college on the first $4,000 paid in tuition. Credit would provide 100 percent of the first $1,000 and 50 percent on the rest. Opposes private-school vouchers. Backed Bush overhaul but says too much emphasis is placed on tests for measuring student achievement; additional factors, such as attendance and parental satisfaction, should be considered.
ENERGY
President Bush
Backs protections from lawsuits for makers of MTBE, a fuel additive linked to cancer, which has been a key sticking point blocking passage of a comprehensive energy bill. Supports oil drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, which would add to domestic production but not enough to replace imports. Opposes using the 700 million barrels of oil in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to lower oil prices, saying those reserves should be used only in the event of a supply disruption. Opposes raising mileage requirements (now at 22 mpg) on carmakers. Opposes raising the gasoline tax to curb consumption. Has increased research funding for hydrogen and fuel cell technologies, clean coal research, and nuclear and fusion power research. Supports modernizing the national electric grid to avoid blackouts.

Sen. John Kerry
Opposes legal protections for makers of MTBE. Opposes opening ANWR to oil drilling. Supports using oil from the SPR to help lower prices. Proposed a $5,000 incentives for consumers who buy "clean energy" vehicles. Favors raising car mileage requirements to 36 mpg by 2015. Opposes raising the gasoline tax to curb consumption. Supports a goal of meeting 20 percent of the demand for motor fuel with ethanol, biodiesel and hydrogen by 2010. Also wants to overhaul the national electric grid with new technologies to prevent blackouts. Wants to invest $10 billion over the next decade to develop cleaner and more efficient coal-fired power plants.
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

These should be Issues 7 through 12.

ENVIRONMENT
President Bush
Favors more logging of federal forests to prevent fires. Favors a gradual cap on mercury emissions. Favors storing the nation’s nuclear waste in Nevada. Favors moving towards a non-polluting, hydrogen economy. Withdrew the United States from U.N.-backed climate change treaty, saying it was unfair. The Sierra Club calls Bush's environmental record the worst of any president. Bush says local and state governments often can do a better job than federal regulators.

Sen. John Kerry
Favors a strong federal role to provide uniform environmental protections. Opposes logging in remote areas to prevent fires, would focus on clearing brush around communities. Favors strict cap on mercury emissions sooner. Favors keeping nuclear waste at reactors for now. Favors moving toward a non-polluting, hydrogen economy. Voted against U.N.-backed climate change treaty but favors continuing talks. Kerry has the highest congressional ratings from the League of Conservation Voters.
FOREIGN POLICY
President Bush
After straining relations with major European allies and the United Nations over war in Iraq, Bush has shifted his foreign policy focus to the spread of democracy by pushing a Greater Middle East Initiative that would aim to resolve the region’s political, economic and social problems through democratic reform. The president, criticized for the failure to find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, is also pursuing a policy that seeks to unravel the black market in nuclear components and block programs in North Korea and Iran, countries he has labeled an “axis of evil” along with prewar Iraq.

Sen. John Kerry
While insisting he would never cede U.S. security to any other nation and would use force when required, Kerry envisions “a new era of alliances” to replace what he sees as the White House’s go-it-alone approach to foreign policy. He has pledged to restore diplomacy as a tool of U.S. foreign policy, treat the United Nations as a “full partner” and pursue collective security arrangements. His inner circle of foreign policy advisers features prominent Democratic veterans, including some figures from the Clinton days.
GAY AND LESBIAN ISSUES
President Bush
Has called for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriages, saying there must be one uniform national standard immune to judicial reversal. He has not taken a firm position on civil unions, saying he would leave the issue up to the states. Although he endorses the view that homosexuality is "incompatible" with military service, Bush maintained former President Bill Clinton’s "don’t ask, don’t tell" policy allowing gays and lesbians to serve in military if they are not open.

Sen. John Kerry
Opposes same-sex marriages but also opposes a constitutional amendment to ban them. Supports recognition of civil unions to extend all federal benefits to same-sex couples. Kerry sponsored the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which bans job discrimination against homosexuals. Supports including gays and lesbians in the protections of the Federal Hate Crimes Law. Supports repealing the "don’t ask, don’t tell" policy and allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military.
GUNS
President Bush
Favors granting gun makers immunity from civil lawsuits, but that measure failed in the Senate. Has said he supports extending ban on assault-type weapons that expires in September and requiring background checks at gun shows, but has backed delays in acting on those steps. Criticized Clinton for weak enforcement of existing gun laws, but prosecution of people who lie on background checks has continued to lag.

Sen. John Kerry
Supports extending ban on assault-type weapons and requiring background checks at gun shows. Opposes granting immunity to gun makers.
HEALTH CARE
President Bush
Number of Americans without health insurance has risen in his presidency, reaching 43.6 million in 2002, up from 41.2 million in 2001 and 39.8 million in 2000, according to Census Bureau. Has won passage of prescription drug benefit for older Americans that will subsidize costs for low-income patients and encourage private insurance companies to offer coverage for the elderly willing to opt out of traditional Medicare. Cost of drug benefit and other Medicare changes now estimated at $534 billion over 10 years, up from $395 billion when changes were debated. New tax-free medical savings accounts can be opened by people under 65 who meet certain conditions.

Sen. John Kerry
Expand existing insurance system for federal employees to private citizens through tax credits and subsidies. Unemployed would get 75 percent tax credit to help pay for insurance. Tax credits for small businesses and their employees for health insurance. People aged 55 to 64 could buy into federal employees’ health plan at affordable price. Government would help companies and insurers pay an employee’s catastrophic medical costs if the firms would agree to hold down premiums. Federal support to expand access to state-administered health insurance for children. Overall costs estimated by outside analyst at $895 billion over 10 years, to cover 27 million more people. Also, require mandatory financing for veterans health care.
HOMELAND SECURITY
President Bush
Calls homeland security his “most important job” and touts creation of Department of Homeland Security, which combined 22 federal agencies, as primary achievement. Bush supports all provisions of the U.S. Patriot Act and favors expansion of the law as it comes up for renewal. Bush supports the 9/11 Commission recommendation to create a so-called “Intelligence Czar.” In August, he signed an executive order creating the framework for that position, which needs congressional approval for full implementation. Bush also points to billions of dollars budgeted and spent to bolster security in sectors from aviation to transportation to ports and critical infrastructure. Bush revamped the FBI’s mission with a focus on domestic terrorism and has pushed for better integration of the intelligence community. Bush pushed for BioWatch program, a multi-billion dollar plan to protect against biological and chemical terrorism threats. Bush got the FDA to kick start a moribund food safety inspection program.

Sen. John Kerry
Kerry has made fulfilling the 9/11 Commission’s anti-terrorism blueprint a top priority, vowing to “immediately implement” its recommendations if elected. Kerry has a five-point plan for improving homeland security: improving country’s ability to track down terrorists by overhauling the intelligence community and how these agencies interact; plug security holes at airports, seaports and borders; assess and resolve vulnerabilities within critical infrastructure sectors, such as energy, chemical and mass transportation; provide better support to first responders such as police, medical and fire department personnel; and revamp the Patriot Act to guard against what he sees as infringements on civil liberties. Kerry also proposes to reorganize the way the country responds to nationwide bioterror threats by putting a single person in charge of national anti-bioterrorism efforts. Kerry wants first responders to be held to a set of national benchmarks for preparedness. He wants creation of a “new community defense service” staffed by citizens serving as a 21st century neighborhood watch.
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

And finally, 13 through 17...

IMMIGRATION
President Bush
Proposes granting legal status to millions of illegal workers as well as people outside the United States who line up jobs in America. Plan would give temporary legal status and expand the current program for highly skilled foreign workers and farm labor to other sectors of the economy where jobs are not being filled by Americans. Opposes giving illegal immigrants an “automatic path to citizenship.”

Sen. John Kerry
People who have been in the United States at least five years, paid taxes and “stayed out of trouble ought to be able to translate into an American citizen immediately.”
IRAQ
President Bush
Authorized by Congress, Bush ordered an invasion of Iraq, calling the Saddam Hussein regime a threat to America's security. The president oversaw a swift military victory followed by a violent aftermath in which the death count for U.S. soldiers topped 1,000 in September. Won congressional approval of $87 billion for continued military operations and aid in Iraq and Afghanistan and pushed plan for interim government to run country until it is replaced following national elections scheduled for January.

Sen. John Kerry
Supported decision to go to war but now says he did so based on faulty U.S. intelligence. Opposed $87 billion package for Iraq and Afghanistan.
RELIGION
President Bush
The president is an evangelical United Methodist who says he has been "born again," a theology that undergirds many of his basic policy positions. He says he regularly seeks guidance from God and opposes movements to remove religion from public life.

Sen. John Kerry
Under pressure from Catholic leaders because of his support for legal abortion, Kerry has said it is important to stand up for separation of church and state. He says his decisions as president would be guided by his "obligation to all the people of our country and to the Constitution of the United States." His campaign’s religion adviser, the Rev. Brenda Bartella Peterson, filed a friend-of-the-court brief in support of a California atheist who challenged the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance.
SOCIAL SECURITY
President Bush
Give younger workers the option of putting part of their payroll tax into personal retirement accounts, giving them a chance to make a higher return on that investment in return for smaller Social Security benefits.

Sen. John Kerry
Opposes partial privatization of Social Security. Would require companies switching to cheaper lump-sum pension plans to offer retiring workers the choice of staying with traditional company pension.
TRADE
President Bush
Is an avowed free trader, has embarked on a series of trade agreements with countries in Asia, Latin America and Africa. But his administration has also faced charges of protectionism over steel tariffs that the World Trade Organization ruled illegal, and its reluctance to trim import barriers that protect U.S. sugar, dairy and beef industries.

Sen. John Kerry
Has promised a 120-day review of all existing U.S. trade agreements upon taking office, and favors using the World Trade Organization to challenge China’s currency practices. He also has pressed for stronger labor and environmental language than Bush has required in growing collection of bilateral free trade agreements with countries around the world.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

President Bush

Sen. John Kerry
Says he would cut deficit by half, at least, in first term, in part through repeal of Bush tax cuts for wealthier Americans.
Lets try this one for starters.

We get a vague option for Kerry stating he will cut the deficit by half, at least, (a vague optimistic unbacked statement...also stating in his first term and not stating the actual years) "in part" from a tax cut rollback for wealthier Americans.

For Bush, it starts off saying "Bush approved record deficits" That could have easily been phrased: Due to the terrorist attacks of 911, deficit spending was required to help our economy recover and fight the war on terror. Bush plans to cut this deficit by half in a controlled recovery program over his next term.

----
It's biased whether you choose to see it or not.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

That could have easily been phrased: Due to the terrorist attacks of 911, deficit spending was required to help our economy recover and fight the war on terror.
But wouldn't that be biased because it's shifting responsibility away from the current administration for the budget deficit?

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
No matter how it's worded, one side could make a stretch to call it biased.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
That could have easily been phrased: Due to the terrorist attacks of 911, deficit spending was required to help our economy recover and fight the war on terror.
But wouldn't that be biased because it's shifting responsibility away from the current administration for the budget deficit?

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
No matter how it's worded, one side could make a stretch to call it biased.
Correct, and this one is biased in favor of Kerry as several have stated.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Pehaps, but the bias is far from obvious.

Take a look at all the other issues/questions and the bias is either non-existant or even less obvious.
Some of the questions even appear to be biased in favour of Bush.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Pehaps, but the bias is far from obvious.

Take a look at all the other issues/questions and the bias is either non-existant or even less obvious.
Some of the questions even appear to be biased in favour of Bush.
backpedaler!
Bethena
No Stars!

Post by Bethena »

Sylvus wrote:
Read the first two questions. If you can't see how negative they made the positions for Bush and how positive/neutral they made the Kerry positions, I don't know what to tell you.
I see your position, I was opened minded when I began the poll and quickly could see, if you meerly read the words, that this was a pro Kerry poll. Even though it was pro Kerry, I could lean to Bush. Just imho.
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

blah blah blah, it must be biased.
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I see your position, I was opened minded when I began the poll and quickly could see, if you meerly read the words, that this was a pro Kerry poll. Even though it was pro Kerry, I could lean to Bush. Just imho.
No offense but after having seen a few of your other posts I highly doubht you were open minded and not biased when you started it.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Metanis wrote:
Sylvus wrote:Okay, let's pretend for a minute that I cannot access the article and that I'd like you to tell me what makes it biased. (I actually cannot access it right now, keep getting a javascript error and the page is not displaying) Are they misrepresenting someone's views on an issue?
It's some fancy javascript app. No way to cut and paste.

It's largely an accurate representation of their positions however it uses semantic and style tricks in the wording.

Like Kerry's position on the economy was covered in one sentance that he backs cutting the deficient in half. No mention that it's not possible using the one single idea (raising taxes on the wealthy). Bush on the other hand is blamed for the deficit with little mention of the economic shock due to 9/11.
As is said, it's a margin call because Bush's administration has been such a travesty.. but it's very easy to show the poll is biased.

Now, damn you for making me side w/ Met/Mid.. I'm going to have to have another shower today =p
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Kelshara wrote:
Mak wrote:
He has claimed to do God's work more than once, and has said he prays to God for guidance for his decissions and that he gets them. Pretty eerily similar to what bin Laden says.
Just for the record, I'm going to have to agree with Mak here. What you're saying is true Kelsh, but I refuse to believe Bush would be that careless with his words, even IF it's what he believes in his heart (doubtful IMHO).
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Bethena
No Stars!

Post by Bethena »

Kelshara wrote:
No offense but after having seen a few of your other posts I highly doubht you were open minded and not biased when you started it.
No offense taken. How could you gather that when I am still undecided and only leaning?
I would comment, but not having been fully informed to the highest degree of accuracy, I hesitate to articulate for fear that I may deviate from the true course of rectitude. =)
Bethena
No Stars!

Post by Bethena »

Kelshara wrote:
No offense taken. How could you gather that when I am still undecided and only leaning?
I would comment, but not having been fully informed to the highest degree of accuracy, I hesitate to articulate for fear that I may deviate from the true course of rectitude. =)