Humor where you least expect it...

What do you think about the world?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Humor where you least expect it...

Post by noel »

A small funny part of a very unfunny article:
At one point this week, soldiers from a 1st Cavalry Division battalion led by M1-A1 Abrams tanks and heavily armored Bradley Fighting Vehicles watched in bemused wonder as their opponent sent a donkey with a rocket-propelled grenade strapped to its side onto the field of battle. The remote triggering device was a string running toward the building corner from which the animal had emerged.

"We actually had reports of 'engage and destroy the donkey,' " said Maj. Tim Karcher of the 7th Cavalry Regiment. The animal appears to have died as another enemy casualty.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5834288/
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I would have sent a few rounds at the corner of the building where the wire was coming from. At the very least it may have severed the wire and we may have gained a mascot.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Wow, I remember reading last year how the Americans wouldn't have the stomach for intense urban warfare and that we'd have thousands of dead Americans soldiers...
The damage to Najaf is the consequence of an urban setting for battle, a woefully overmatched enemy and an American military doctrine that unites terrifying firepower with almost zero tolerance for casualties in its own ranks.
The battle for Najaf has been a study in the urban warfare that conventional wisdom says can only cause high American casualties. That is what U.S. invasion planners feared -- and subordinates of deposed president Saddam Hussein promised -- would occur last year in a protracted fight for Baghdad that never came.

Officers of the 7th Cavalry said their experience over the past two weeks found such fears exaggerated. So far, 11 Americans have died in the fighting; Iraqi health officials say that hundreds of militiamen and other people have lost their lives.

... and of course we were told our military wasn't providing decent equipment to our forces... remember the NYT making a field day how our Hummer drivers were buying their own armor?
"It's the best feeling in the world," Karcher said of the armor, technology and munitions that safeguard the U.S. force. "We've been given the best tools in the world for waging war."

But the Americans are so EVIL...
At the same time, the 7th Cavalry made efforts to show goodwill to residents who stuck it out through the fighting. More than once, medics set up a mobile clinic to treat Najafis, while soldiers handed out food -- pre-packaged chicken and beef dishes labeled in Arabic as halal, or approved for the Muslim diet.
... and uncaring...
But it would not hurt, one officer said, to announce reconstruction plans right away. If the destruction "is the price of shoring up the Iraqi government, then okay," one U.S. commander said while standing in the ruins. "But it probably wouldn't hurt if we found a way to make things right here."
I'm not applauding the death and destruction. I am however a proud and unabashed cheerleader for the American military and the civilian policy makers who ran this operation.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Thought I saw something ugly in a cheerleader outfit waving pom-poms.. guess I'm not going crazy just yet!
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

American military doctrine that unites terrifying firepower with almost zero tolerance for casualties in its own ranks.
That quote gives me warm fuzzies, and I don't know why.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

How's things in not reality land today?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

What non-reality? That our soldiers are the best equipped on the planet? Or that there have only been a few American casualties in Najaf?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

When I was in the military our marines were already training for hardcore urban warfare as the battleground of the future over a decade ago. I don't think anyone is as well trained in urban warfare as our guys, so I agree with you there. I am definitely proud of our military, just not proud of why they were unleashed on their current target, Iraq.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Akaran_D wrote:That quote gives me warm fuzzies, and I don't know why.
:2gunfire:

:vv_sproing:
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

How many donkeys have to die before you American pigdogs cease your evil ways?!?!
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Niffoni wrote:How many donkeys have to die before you American pigdogs cease your evil ways?!?!

All they have to do is take off the turbins.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

At least you've got a system for telling the good donkeys from the evil terrorist donkeys :lol:
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Niffoni wrote:At least you've got a system for telling the good donkeys from the evil terrorist donkeys :lol:
I would of thought the RPG gave it away but hell whats wrong with a Donkey walking around with a boxed copy of everquest.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Acceptable attire for donkeys in Iraq:

Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

grease them just to be sure
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

I'm not sure what's more mind-boggling... the fact that this picture exists, or the way it only took you 5 minutes to find it after my original post.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

masteen wrote:What non-reality? That our soldiers are the best equipped on the planet? Or that there have only been a few American casualties in Najaf?
Best equiped, but they still have to pay for their own armor? Sorry, us being the most technologically advanced army in the world is old news, and does nothing to dispell from this fact.
Metanis wrote:Wow, I remember reading last year how the Americans wouldn't have the stomach for intense urban warfare and that we'd have thousands of dead Americans soldiers...
According to http://www.antiwar.com/casualties/ we are up to 971 casualties so far. 832 of them after Bush's little "Mission Accomplished" stunt. I doubt last year they were talking about just Najaf.
But way to be able to twist reality around to try and make you're retarded little points.
Hoarmurath
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Hoarmurath »

Stragi wrote:we are up to 971 casualties so far.
This is a nitpick, but the term "casualty" as it applies to military operations also includes personnel that are wounded, captured, or missing in action. Not just deaths.

It's just a small detail, to be sure, but I bring it up primarily because I get the feeling that (in general) people only see casualties in "black and white", so to speak. Meaning, either a person is dead or they are just fine, and not much attention is being paid to the large number of wounded personnel, especially those with disabling injuries, that are coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Requoted with pretty colors for teh stargi:
The battle for Najaf has been a study in the urban warfare that conventional wisdom says can only cause high American casualties. That is what U.S. invasion planners feared -- and subordinates of deposed president Saddam Hussein promised -- would occur last year in a protracted fight for Baghdad that never came.

Officers of the 7th Cavalry said their experience over the past two weeks found such fears exaggerated. So far, 11 Americans have died in the fighting; Iraqi health officials say that hundreds of militiamen and other people have lost their lives.
You sure they're not talking about just Najaf, Sparky?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Stragi wrote: Best equiped, but they still have to pay for their own armor? Sorry, us being the most technologically advanced army in the world is old news, and does nothing to dispell from this fact.
If I was going there and they didn't have armor for me, I would take out a loan for a wetsuit and a viking helmet if I thought it would help me stay alive.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

One time I got a hummer in an elevator that had more than 2 people on it.

Oh, nm, it says humor...
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
Stragi wrote: Best equiped, but they still have to pay for their own armor? Sorry, us being the most technologically advanced army in the world is old news, and does nothing to dispell from this fact.
If I was going there and they didn't have armor for me, I would take out a loan for a wetsuit and a viking helmet if I thought it would help me stay alive.
but yet it was somehow John Kerry's fault that the troops did not have body armor in April because he voted against a pork laiden appropriations bill in May.

yep we can't afford to buy the armor for the soldiers, but we can afford to have ONE POINT EIGHT BILLION WITH A *B* DOLLARS unaccounted for by a defense contractor.

Plain and simple the White House neglected all expert advice (State Dept, Army War College, Army Generals) and did not plan for a realistic post-war scenario, and as such were not equipped for it.

That or they simply don't care that infantry are in harm's way. I think that is not the case and most of them (not Wolfowitz) do care. This was just a case of irresponsible and incompetant leadership.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
the point is it should be stardard issue.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Hoarmurath wrote:
Stragi wrote:we are up to 971 casualties so far.
This is a nitpick, but the term "casualty" as it applies to military operations also includes personnel that are wounded, captured, or missing in action. Not just deaths.

It's just a small detail, to be sure, but I bring it up primarily because I get the feeling that (in general) people only see casualties in "black and white", so to speak. Meaning, either a person is dead or they are just fine, and not much attention is being paid to the large number of wounded personnel, especially those with disabling injuries, that are coming out of Iraq and Afghanistan.
ok, then according to that website there are over 6k casualties.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

bullshit, soldiers should have to buy their own bullets too.

everyone has to sacrifice you know. we are at war.

when i say everyone has to sacrifice , by everyone, i mean everyone who makes less than $200,000 a year. which is most of you people.

anyway those bullets will be $20 a box please.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

masteen wrote:Requoted with pretty colors for teh stargi:

You sure they're not talking about just Najaf, Sparky?
I'm not talking about what was said in the article, and it wasn't implied in anything I said. I'm fully aware of what the article was addressing.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Sylvus wrote:One time I got a hummer in an elevator that had more than 2 people on it.

Oh, nm, it says humor...
And what was that tune you were humming?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sylvus wrote:One time I got a hummer in an elevator that had more than 2 people on it.

Oh, nm, it says humor...
Pilsburry?
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

YUmm those 971 are not all combat deaths, unless diabetes, leukemia and car wrecks are now KIA's.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

noel wrote:

Oh, nm, it says humor...
Pilsburry?
You take that back, fucker! I was just trying to bring some levity to the thread.

But if you're going to call me Pils I could go into graphic detail including my emotional state at the time and all of the flaws that the girl had...
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sylvus wrote:
noel wrote:

Oh, nm, it says humor...
Pilsburry?
You take that back, fucker! I was just trying to bring some levity to the thread.

But if you're going to call me Pils I could go into graphic detail including my emotional state at the time and all of the flaws that the girl had...
As funny as it would be, I'm going to go with no. :P
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Metanis wrote:Wow, I remember reading last year how the Americans wouldn't have the stomach for intense urban warfare and that we'd have thousands of dead Americans soldiers...
That was being said in regards to fighting the Iraqi military mixed with militia resistance in an urban campaign; in other words, a lot more people. The complete crumbling of the Iraqi military was an unforseen, but very good, thing.
Rasspotari
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Rasspotari »

The damage to Najaf is the consequence of an urban setting for battle, a woefully overmatched enemy and an American military doctrine that unites terrifying firepower with almost zero tolerance for casualties in its own ranks.

... and of course we were told our military wasn't providing decent equipment to our forces... remember the NYT making a field day how our Hummer drivers were buying their own armor?
"It's the best feeling in the world," Karcher said of the armor, technology and munitions that safeguard the U.S. force. "We've been given the best tools in the world for waging war."

But the Americans are so EVIL...
At the same time, the 7th Cavalry made efforts to show goodwill to residents who stuck it out through the fighting. More than once, medics set up a mobile clinic to treat Najafis, while soldiers handed out food -- pre-packaged chicken and beef dishes labeled in Arabic as halal, or approved for the Muslim diet.
... and uncaring...
But it would not hurt, one officer said, to announce reconstruction plans right away. If the destruction "is the price of shoring up the Iraqi government, then okay," one U.S. commander said while standing in the ruins. "But it probably wouldn't hurt if we found a way to make things right here."
I'm not applauding the death and destruction. I am however a proud and unabashed cheerleader for the American military and the civilian policy makers who ran this operation.
so if i give someone bread, pat their head, build them a veggy garden, give them a snickers bar and learn to say thank you in their langage after having killed 1000 of his family members, that makes it all ok ?

just making sure you understand that was an extreme hypothetical example, not facts. but then you are into telling the truth, doesn't have to be the whole truth let alone nothing but the truth huh ?
Rasspotari
Rogue
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

Rasspotari wrote: so if i give someone bread, pat their head, build them a veggy garden, give them a snickers bar and learn to say thank you in their langage after having killed 1000 of his family members, that makes it all ok ?

just making sure you understand that was an extreme hypothetical example, not facts. but then you are into telling the truth, doesn't have to be the whole truth let alone nothing but the truth huh ?
I'm sorry I couldn't decipher your point here.

You had one didn't you?