Hiyashi-Chuka

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Swiiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Hiyashi-Chuka

Post by Swiiter »

Don't know if any of you like Japanese food, but being half-japanese the majority of the food I cook at home is Asian. This has been my favorite summer recipe since I was a kid. It's basically a cold noodle dish (kind of like a japanese style pasta salad). It's really easy to make as well.

You'll want to start off by buying some fresh chinese egg noodles (ramen). If you don't have a asian market close to you, I've seen recipes where people subbed in angel hair pasta, but i've never tried it, so I can't give any advice on whether or not it would be good.

1. Mix together a few eggs and a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Heat and lightly oil a frying pan. Add just enough egg to coat the bottom (like a crepe) and cook until it sets. Flip over and cook a few seconds more. Repeat with the remaining egg, julienne them and set aside.

2. Mix together a cup of chicken stock, 4 tbsp. of ripe vinegar, 4 tbsp. of soy sauce, a couple of tbsp. of Mirin (can sub in a couple of tbsp of sugar if you don't have this), and a few drops of sesame oil. set aside

3. Boil the noodles until they are just done and immediately shock them in an ice bath.

4. Drain the noodles and top them with some julienned ham, cucumber, and the eggs. Pour the sauce over the top (just enough to coat everything, it's not a soup), and garnish with sliced tomatoes, toasted sesame seeds and if you like pickled ginger.