World of Warcraft = omgz

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Adex_Xeda
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Adex_Xeda »

Yes Trek, any die-hard materialist who wants to break the habit should play EQ then quit.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I did, but I still love my stuff! :twisted:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:Looks like the WoW devs are putting in fun content at every level of the game. Imagine what EQ would have been like with n00b quests that didn't yield junk, beginner dungeons suitable for more than just bottom-feeding, and crafting that's both doable and useable from the start. You mean I can feel like I've accomplished something before level 40?
All that low level content becomes wasted content when the player populations level exceeds it.

Most of the quests in EQ were pretty crappy when the game went live but if a player were to start EQ fresh today, they would have oodles of worthwhile quests to do.

Even before Kunark when the class armor quests went ingame, I had a real sense of accomplishment when I got my bard a full set of lambent.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Some classes didn't have questable, mid-level armor (DRUIDS) until fucking Luclin.

But I see your point, Miir. My point is that WoW is shooting to have them in from the start, so the need to grind xp for 30 levels just to upgrade from leather or see a non-suck dungeon isn't there.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:My point is that WoW is shooting to have them in from the start, so the need to grind xp for 30 levels just to upgrade from leather or see a non-suck dungeon isn't there.

I had a full set of banded at level 17.
Lani rocked.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Druids can't wear banded!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:Druids can't wear banded!
Druids didn't need armor
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Gotta cover that pie-belly with something!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

masteen wrote:Looks like the WoW devs are putting in fun content at every level of the game. Imagine what EQ would have been like with n00b quests that didn't yield junk, beginner dungeons suitable for more than just bottom-feeding, and crafting that's both doable and useable from the start. You mean I can feel like I've accomplished something before level 40?
Yeah what he said. Just because EQ required you to play 8 hours a day to accomplish anything doesn't mean every game will. There are plenty of things that EQ did badly and the time requirement is number one in my book.

The most difficult problem is making it so you can play casually and still have fun and succeed without letting the tards that play MMORPG's 12 hours a day 7 days a week get a massive advantage over everyone else. But even EQ had this problem. The way EQ did it is they put in super hard zones and loot that only the very, very hardcore losers could get a hold of but then everyone saw the loot and wanted it so much that they started playing that hard too.

It's probably an unsolvable problem.

I doubt I will play any game as much as I played EQ ever again but that doesn't mean I still won't be able to succeed at another game just as well.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The "instancing" feature of WoW seems to be aimed directly at that. No more will a gimp brigade be able to throw 80 people at a scenario designed for 30. I think I also read where some areas would have level restrictions as well. So, sure the shut-in retards will still out-level you, but they still won't have access to the challenge zones (and keen goodies) unless they accidentally crash land on Planet Clue.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

This game is going to fucking rock! omgz
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Spot on, Kyou.

If I ever find a game with the long-term playability of EQ that can offer a sense of advancement in two hour or less blocks of playtime....

I am outta here.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

This picture has had me very interested in the last few days.
As most of you know, who have played Warcraft at least, theres the Gryphon Riders. Now I'm wondering if this is the class (which would seem overpowered a tad) or simply transport.
I think theres another screenie of a human on one, so I think its transport. Would be pretty sweet if its free-range, like with our horses and stuff. But it might be a set path thing. Still, looks fucking sweet

It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Yup, it's "fixed" transport. But you can pan and look around and see the world below you, I think you can even jump off, to maybe a secret mountain peak or somethin? And also there are boats you must ride when crossing the ocean, you can look all around on them as well...but heres the cool thing, they can come under attack! by undead sea pirates or maybe an evil sea monster!

:) :D :)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

It's been well advertised since E3 began that it's a griffon transport system, player has no control over its movement..
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

The grifs are transport only, and you have to have already visited the place they're taking you. Apparently, you can see the terrain below you, including MOBs and players, which I think is very fucking cool.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

yeah, eq will be my 1st and last mmorpg, way too time consuming, they need to get rid of the dwarf guns though, the idea of guns in a fantasy game like WoW is pretty retarded
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

I got a movie from the Blizzard website, the dwarven riflemen (and weemun) look quiet good, kinda like archers.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

My point is that WoW is shooting to have them in from the start, so the need to grind xp for 30 levels just to upgrade from leather or see a non-suck dungeon isn't there.
Started in blackburrow at level 6-7 or so, and its a great newbie dungeon. Saw sol ro a, permafrost, runneyeye, dalnir, nurga all before level 30 and they were all fun dungeons. Most people just seem to take the route of standing in a field somewhere killing stuff randomly passing them by rather than trying out the content that was there.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Yeah people bitch there is no low level content worth a shit in EQ after they spent 10-30 in Oasis and 30-50 in lower guk (or 10-40 in ill omen and 40 60 in karnor's castle).

The first characters I played when EQ was I levelled up in Crushbone and Runneye, and Befallen and Blackburrow and Solusek A etc. I wore bronze armor and I quested for my screaming mace and thought I was leet.

Since kunark basically people just twink their alts up and power level in outdoor zones and bitch there's nothing to do at low levels. I had the most fun in EQ at the beginning levelling up my new characters and getting loot I didn't even know existed in a small group.
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

:vv_yeahthat:

I agree totally. Levelling up and exploring all of those dungeons were some of the most fun times I ever had in EQ.

Crushbone- Dvinn and Retlon Brenclog, I can't think of any other mobs in EQ that I actually really hated irl.

Splitpaw- I was in a group in SK, and we decided to zone in. When we zoned in there were several corpses around us...I was like oh shit. Eventually we had to leave, way too tough for us. When my mage was a little higher level, I tried exploring it. Those caster mobs were fucking badass. I would get to that bridge thing then always turn around, I knew I'd get owned.

Dalnir- I'd always get lost getting there, but once I got there it was great. I remember jumping down that hidden drop thingy in that coffin with Hynter, Malyenkiy, Lethaprawn and several other old school OGs. We almost wiped when several mobs agroed us after the drop down. I had no idea what assist even meant, I just sent my pet onto random mobs. :lol:

Kaesora- we fought our way down to that library thing, was one one of my first real dungeon crawling experiences and made me want more! Could almost never find others who wanted to go though.

Kedge- very under utilized zone, it was almost always empty and being underwater was cool for me, sort of like killing dragons always was. Killing 5/4 dragons in WW never got old because...well, they were all dragons.

Unrest- TRAIN CITY, this is where the very best of karnor's trainers grew up. I remember standing to the site as hags and werewolfs flew by me. Some guy killed a werewolf then ran away. I quickly looted and found 3 pp (3 PP ON ONE MOB?!) and thought to myself that one day I could kill those werewolfs over and over and become one rich mofo.

Mistmoore- another train city. I kept on dying from those faerie things just trying get there grr. Kept on trying to get the maid/butler camp (I had read where the fangs were part of an ub3r l33t quest), but always died! This was of course me (a mage) and a druid trying to break this room alone with most of the mobs being red to us.

Runnyeye- I actually sat in this one small itty bitty room that had 3 pops in it with Mirra and Dugong (how are you two doing anyways, haven't talked to ya'll in forever) for HOURS in the hopes of some blackened armor. That one evil eye boss (don't remember her name) kept getting trained on us though, which would lead to some hardcore rapeage.

Ocean of Tears- not neccessarily a dungeon but it was as fun as one. I camped those sirens that you go by shortly after you first zone in from BBM for several levels. It was really nice and secluded, I'd see the boat pass by some but never had to worry about anyone else coming. Gargoyle island was a blast too, even though we had to be sooo careful about spectres. Dorfs were fun to kill also.

The Hole- a little higher level stuff, but it's almost always fairly empty with plenty of stuff to kill. I loved this dungeon, but could never find many others who did too (except Aab and that crew =p)

Sol A- my first source of uber loot. I kept hearing about this mystical mob named Kindle who dropped these impskin gloves that could sell for 2k!! I camped that guy FOREVER and never saw him, but foreman and khobold champion popped OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS ^_^

Tower of Frozen Shadow- now this was a badass dungeon. The scenery was cool, pretty good drops for that time of the game, and something different than the usual dungeon. I had the second Tserrina robe on the server, OOBER.

Droga- we never even tried fighting our way down. There were just way too many mobs. We'd invis and run down to the bottom, sweating every step of the way. We'd stop right before that one invisible wall, then pull to there. Got some phat lewtz here. I had a total blast in this dungeon.

I can't imagine not having done all of these things. When I finally come back to EQ I'm gonna start a new char and experience it all again.

Sorry for getting so off topic :P
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Basically what Chmee said above. Chid took about 35 days played to get to 35. But then, I felt pretty powerful at 35. Come to think of it, when I got dual wield, I felt pretty damn powerful. Getting mostly banded and even some blackend iron(especially the boots, woot magic kick!) for the look felt l33t.

I didn't think low level content sucked at all even back at launch. I just think the expectations are different now.
Pubin
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Pubin »

Back to the topic anyway, I think Blizzard does an excellent job with all of their games. Diablo is a fairly bad basis of comparison since anti-cheating measures were largely neglected (or mesures like server-side item storage was not cost effective). Warcraft 3 is quite balanced even though there is always room for overly critical gamers to complain. There are top players who use each of the 4 races and there is no magical spell that kills everything and cannot be countered. Since Warcraft 3 takes skill, and MMORPGs typically require only time, I dont see how they could really go wrong. Blizzard's storylines and game stability have (in my opinion) always been among the best. I am looking forward to WoW.

Toodles
Don't blame me if you see my old characters acting like asses.
Proctus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Proctus »

kyoukan wrote:The entire Warcraft universe bores me to tears. Humans are just the stereotyped King Arthur's Camelot big metal dudes clanking around with dwarves for added generic fantasy value. Orcs are just big green klingons with absolutely nothing added to them at all to differentiate the two things. The only other race I've seen so far in the game are those big gay yellow giant cows.

Hopefully it will be good but I really don't see what the big deal is about Blizzard games. Half the time they come off as uncreative and the other half they just seem totally incompetent.
Have you played Warcraft 3 lately? The versatility of it's mods alone make this the most fun RTS out there. Seeing as all us RTS players are waiting for a Starcraft 2 press release, Warcraft 3 certainly fits the bill atm. Not to mention that the Expansion is still looming in the dust. BTW if you are tired of playing vs other people in AT or 1v1 games (etc), try playing some custom games. Footman warz, turret wars, and Defense of the ancients are extremely popular atm and have been half the reason I don't play as much EQ as I used to (mechwarrior 4 being the other half).
Proctus Armonius
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Defence of the Ancients 2.9 rocks!

Now we waitin on v3.0!

Hopefully they removed that Sidereal Engine Hero and fixed the Pit Lords Terror skill!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

There could be a lot of cool elements in this game that they probably won't implement. I think they should make the servers like Tallon/Vallon Zek. Have cooperative teams such as Tauren/Orcs and Human/Dwarves. Of course in the end there would be cross teaming involved, but there would have to be to take on some of the bigger powers. It would bring a more realistic element to the game and a more familiar one to the Warcraft universe.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:Defence of the Ancients 2.9 rocks!

Now we waitin on v3.0!

Hopefully they removed that Sidereal Engine Hero and fixed the Pit Lords Terror skill!
I got into Hero Maze pretty heavy for a while then just lost interest in the game. Still waiting on the Frozen Throne.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fallanthas wrote:Spot on, Kyou.

If I ever find a game with the long-term playability of EQ that can offer a sense of advancement in two hour or less blocks of playtime....

I am outta here.
AO offers that.
Babab_Ababa
No Stars!

Post by Babab_Ababa »

why do all da japanese people late at night kill babab in such a short time on WC3?
Babab Ababab
65 Overlord of Veeshan
Proctus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Proctus »

Cuz babab is still Clicking on everything while Japanese are using Hotkeys ^ ^
Proctus Armonius
Adela
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Adela »

Cube Defense owns all custom WC3 games
<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... on=5,0,0,0"
WIDTH=350 HEIGHT=250>
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="http://cadalano.com/archives/adelaz.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high> <PARAM NAME=wmode VALUE=transparent> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF> <EMBED src="http://cadalano.com/archives/adelaz.swf" quality=high wmode=transparent bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH=270 HEIGHT=210 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/dow ... h"></EMBED>
</OBJECT>
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Cube Defence is ok! :D
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

miir wrote:
Fallanthas wrote:Spot on, Kyou.

I am outta here.
AO offers that.
You're joking, right?