Ugly Americans Vault to #2!!

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ugly Americans Vault to #2!!

Post by Voronwë »

Tourist rankings our out, and Americans are up to the #2 best tourists in the world.

#1 Krauts

Brits came in last.

I will provide link when i get one.

Guess not everybody hates us. This ranking was done from a survey of travel agents from around the world.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

That doesnt surprise me.

Americans, when over here, mainly walk aboot in their silly shirts and shorts with their wives called 'fanny'. Are generally polite and cool, genuinly interested in the place as opposed to just finding somewhere to drink and fight, ala the English.
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

I dunno...I'm a bit surprised. In my (albeit somewhat limited) world travels, by far the warmest, most friendly, and most congenial people *towards* tourists in their country have been the Scots and the Irish...
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Samin
No Stars!

Post by Samin »

Heres my observations from travelling. I think most Americans are fine tourists, we get OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS where I am. The problem is that the ones that are bad, arnt just bad, they are loud and bad.

Example: I was on vacation in England, and this American guy and his wife got on the train a bit late. So there were not many seats left and they couldnt get seats with a table. Well this guy lost it and starting shouting "I'm an american you cant treat me like this" blah blah blah. It was like he expected special treatment, as if other people should vacate their seat for him. I was sitting next to an american family at the time and they where very embarassed.

My experience is that there are good and bad tourist from everywhere, its just that the bad american ones seem to be loud and let everyone know where they are from ;) And people always remeber the bad ones, leading to a perseption that Americans as a whole are bad, when thats not really the case.
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Samin;

Just smack em. make yourself a hero to everyone who had to put up with the loud-mouthed fool. :D

Worst tourist I have bumped into was a Frenchman. We were drinking cofee from a freebie kiosk in our state capitol. He had been there a while and complained his coffee was cold. He then unscrewed the top of the container, dumped his coffe back into the communal urn, and tap himself off a fresh cup! :evil:

Gotta go down as one of the most arrogant and inconsiderate things I've seen in a while.
Pimple
No Stars!

Post by Pimple »

<--------------American

KISS MY ASS
Dont Test Me
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I'm not surprised that the travel agencies and tourist orgs in the cities would rank em that high. I'd be more amazed if the people did the same. I was raised in a tourist town near the US border, and yuck.
Vippa
No Stars!

Post by Vippa »

swedes are nice tourists, they are easy to make happy just feed them with booze and they are happy.

woot first day of vacation soon starts have to get really drunk

shit i am so bored at work =(

/vippa
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Börjar din semester nästa vecka Vippa?

Ta me rej massa Booze te Skaune!

Bring da Booze Vippa! )
Vippa
No Stars!

Post by Vippa »

of cozz lotza booz i bring

hugz

/vippa
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Kwon!

I needs teh skaune party infoz!

gimme PM plz plz
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just did! )
Sylience
No Stars!

Post by Sylience »

Americans, when over here, mainly walk aboot in their silly shirts and shorts with their wives called 'fanny'. Are generally polite and cool, genuinly interested in the place as opposed to just finding somewhere to drink and fight, ala the English.
True, i am as polite as possible while asking people where the nearest place i can drunk and fight someone is.
Diae Soulmender
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Diae Soulmender »

Personally I have traveled the world fairly extensively. (Been around the the globe twice, have over 60k sea miles and around 12 different countries) and let me say this... I am an American and we, as a people, are the rudest mother fuckers you have ever met... and lets not forget armed. We do not have 'culture'. Our country is far too young to hae aquired that which most others have gotten over hundreds (if not thousands) of years.

I would have to say that every single country I have ever been in the people have been very polite (Aussie/Thailand to point out 2) and I would say "genuinly nice". We, in America, are just assholes (in general)... but we are like that I suppose because we are violent (we have lots of crime), gun lugging (we gotta pack or we get shit stolen), war mongering (we had to kick Englands ass to get our freedom) bad asses (we train a lot to be bad/mean/vicious) whom you really do not wish to piss off (we have the bomb and would probably use it) :)

I am American and Proud.
Khrashdin 80 Protection Paladin
Vox Immortalis - Hyjal-US
#1 World Ranked 10man Strict Achievement Guild
#3 World Ranked 10man Strict Progression Guild
http://www.guildox.com The Premier Guild Ranking Site
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

Even in Russia I found the people very polite and friendly...and you'd think they would have every reason to despise us. Ironically, it's quite the opposite.

Diae, we have culture; what we lack, is history. We have no 400 year old cathedrals. No memorials built upon the deathplace of a martyred Saint. No tales of when wars were fought by men clad in iron. No castles. No sprawling palaces built in monument to some despots royal ego.

But we have culture. Albeit, one almost entirely devoid of artistic merit (/wave Britney Spears), but it does exist. I think the saddest thing is to see others with such vividly beautiful histories slowly begin to emulate us. Soon we will have only one global culture, which will likely cut down greatly on wars, but the differences are what make this planet such an interesting place.

Sorry for rambling.
Last edited by Karae on July 22, 2002, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.
Sylience
No Stars!

Post by Sylience »

Diae is cranky cause he is short
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You have good culture!

The Grind and Club MTV!

And Wet T-Shirt Contest , Brittney Spears etc etc

I love the States
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

the US has a very rich culture, though it isn't always what is pictured in Pepsi commercials.

Arguably the most important musical genre of the 20th century, Jazz, was virtually entirely authored by Americans within the US. There are a wealth of American composers who over the past 100 years have not only produced quality work, but work that has been extremely influential.

Our technological innovation has changed the world dramatically as well, so i think you can lay some criticism at some of our 'cultural exports' (David Hasselhoff comes to mind), but it is the Euros who buy his CDs, so they can't be that much better than us :P
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Arundel Pajo »

/nod....

Music and industry are two of our (U.S.) most significant cultural definers.

Music-wise, America spawned Jazz, gave birth to ragtime, blues, rock & roll, metal, rap, country, and (arguably) punk.

We have a culture, though it is young and immature compared to many countries' cultures. It is, however, there.
Sylience
No Stars!

Post by Sylience »

Id give punk to the british
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Arundel Pajo »

I wouldn't quite. The British certainly took to it with a passion and made it a larger movement, but the Ramones came first, influencing the first wave of British punk.

Unless you want to count the Dead Boys, but this is where the "arguable" part comes in with my above post. It's debatable as to whether Stiv Bators and the Dead Boys were pre or post Ramones...

Personally, I would go with Ramones. The CBGB scene in the mid-70's birthed punk, and the UK made it a movement, IMHO.

Edit>>> Taking it back a bit farther, I'd also argue that the seeds of early punk and the spirit it embodied could also be seen in the sounds of the Velvet Underground. They sort of acted as a bridge between the R&B/drug culture of mods and the in-your-face rebellion of the later punks.

The U.S. also spawned the Stooges. While I wouldn't really say the Stooges pre-dated the Dead Boys, I would argue that they held a lot more influence in the early punk years.

Punk's kind of a tricky genre to pin down, though. It's got a pretty international beginning.
Vyrulian
No Stars!

Post by Vyrulian »

Swedish women tourists /drool

Winter olympics here = lots of wordly tourists, the swedes by far were the best, maybe im just biased due to the beautiful women... can ya blame me?
Where did Clatis go?
Pubin
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Pubin »

I like mexican tourists the most.
Don't blame me if you see my old characters acting like asses.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Hmm as an American who lived in Europe from 88 to 96, I can honestly say that no group or culture is as bad as American tourists, when I was out and about and heard Amerglish, I always ducked and prepped my friends to not regard them as real Americans.

Of course if the French travelled, they would vault to first immediately.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Lexien
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lexien »

What about Canadians?
65 Deceiver
Ogbar
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Greblaja

Post by Ogbar »

Well, between the roots of punk, and references to attractive Swedes, this thread has certainly gone multifaceted.

In an attempt to tie it all together, wasn't Iggy Pop who once sang" "I .. wish ... life ... could be ... Sweedish magazines ... "?
Ogbar - a member of the Tiger's Roar retirement community