Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

This is apparently the current new hotness in the gaming world so I gave it a try last week. A week later I find I am spending a surprisingly large amount of time in the game. Which is free. (The game that is.. Not my time.)

However if you have a gambling problem you probably shouldn't buy this game. If you think loot boxes are bad a Gacha game is crazy with what the low probabilities on some of the better stuff.

But to just play and 'finish' the main game I don't think you really need any characters other than the free ones they give you.

I am playing it on PS4. It's a bit pokey in some areas but overall it's fine.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was also caught off guard by this one. I don't like the free to play model, and Gacha even less, but here I am.

I've spent a fuckton of time playing so far, I've found everything in Mondstadt and I'm maybe 1/4 through exploring Liyue now. Adventure rank is just shy of 30, and I've got my main team (Venti/Fischl/Xiangling/Barbara) at 50. I know that the resin system grinds the game to a crawl in the mid 30s adventure ranks, so I will probably just put the game aside when I get to that point and pick it back up in December when they release the third area.

Definitely worth a play. And there isn't strong pressure to pay - like you say you can do the content with the starter characters just fine, but if you're making wishes with the gems you earn in game, you're going to end up with at least a couple of other 4 star characters. I spent 5 dollars on the welkin moon thing, and I might buy the optional battle pass. I figure supporting them a little anyway is fine after how much time I've spent playing it.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 17, 2020, 11:47 pm
However if you have a gambling problem you probably shouldn't buy this game. If you think loot boxes are bad a Gacha game is crazy with what the low probabilities on some of the better stuff.
The game is free so don't need to buy anything if you don't want to and I wouldn't recommend it with the low percentage gacha rates.

I've enjoyed this game quite a bit. I'm playing on the PC and while sylized anime type graphics, the game looks great for being a cross PC/Console/Mobile

As for the low gacha chances of getting good characters, that's completely true. I was lucky enough to get Venti the bard character off his banner but he's not necessarily needed. One good thing is, you're guaranteed to get either Xiangling or Fischl, both are very good heroes if you roll a enough times on Venti's banner, you'll probably get both. Fischl is the best or one of the best supports, her electricity is a great starter combo for other heroes and Xiangling is a good dps, although don't use her to run around in the world because she makes a bell sound when running.

Unfortunately I don't think it's worth spending money on the game because the percentage chances are too low to get a hero you want but if you focus on the Venti banner (until it goes away) those two other characters will most likely drop.

This is a no rush , take your time and enjoy the scenery type game. No need to get particular characters unless worried about the end game.

Focus on your DPS with the rest supporting them.

Tons of voice dialogue in the game and so far, I've enjoyed running off and exploring random things in between main campaign quests.

I'd recommend the reddit for info:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/

A map with locations of resources:

https://genshin-impact-map.appsample.com/#/

Team building resource (not entirely accurate but maybe helpful)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2093095892

edit: just an FYI, you eventually get Xiangling and Fischl later on, Xiangling at Adventure level 20-ish, if you already have, can add extra copies to their constellation which improves the character's stats/skills
Last edited by Winnow on October 19, 2020, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xiangling you get for clearing floor 3 of the Spiral Abyss as well.

For the record - the way the drop rate up banners (like the Venti banner) work is after 90 pulls if you haven't got a 5 star - you get one. If you hit that pity mechanic and you DON'T get the character for the banner (Venti in this case), then the next 5 star you get is guaranteed to be the banner character. It's more or less the same for 4 star characters, except that pity kicks in at 10 pulls (so if you haven't had a purple you get one on the tenth pull).

The Venti banner is over now, and the new banner is for Klee. Unfortunately, Klee is really the only good character you can get from that banner at all, the four stars available in it aren't great. I'll probably try to resist the urge to spend my gems and save them up for a different banner as I already have Xiangling (almost max constellation) for a fire character, and if I got a second fire character I'd prefer for it to be Diluc.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

I got Venti on my last 10 wish before he went away so that was nice. Which was double (triple?) nice because I also got Ningguan and Fischl at the same time. Never got 3 characters at once before. I had Fischl already so the extra constellation was ok.

Speaking of constellations.. It is a bit annoying that the only way to upgrade those is through getting duplicate characters.

I did do the $5 thing because it's 2700 primogems (and 300 genesis crystals)over a month so that's not bad (when compared to buying the Genesis crystals) assuming you at least log in once a day.

I will also be skipping the Klee baner and just building up some gems. Which should be easy because it hasn't even showed up for me on PS4 yet.

I am considering the battle pass only if I make it to 30 in the next 3 weeks otherwise it's a bit pointless to pay for. I'm at 17 now so will see how that goes.

I used the interactive map and got all the Anemoculus and Geoculus because I heard you'd get a good weapon for doing that but I got nothing as far as I can tell other than the upgraded stamina.

I like melee so I've just been using the Traveler character as my main. It's not a terrible character and has been doing well so far and have recently hit AR 33. My usual team is Traveler, Amber, Fischl, and Barbara for the healy heals. Yeah I know Amber sucks but I like having a ranged fire item while exploring out in the world. It's good for blowing up those purple rocks and her exploding bear is good for some of the others as well.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I had more or less the same thought on the battle pass. If I am going to make it to 30 (I'm a couple ranks behind you), I'll get it for sure, otherwise I may skip it. I also got Venti right at the end, I was conflicted because he helps a lot for exploration, but I really wanted Diluc.

I've got all the Anemoculus, but have a ways to go on the Geo still. There is a quest for a 5 star artifact that becomes available to you once you've collected all those, so I guess look for that.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

I've cleared all my quests and have no 5 star artifact in my inventory so I'll have to look into how that quest starts. I'll will probably roll with crappy stats anyway so not a huge loss.

Oh and I did try it on PC as well but they reverse the O and X buttons so it was confusing the hell out of me after spending 20+ hours playing the PS4 version. Now I know how Japan players will feel when the PS5 comes out!

It definitely runs better though on PC (duh). On PS4 I have to stop when I see something shiny before the prompt shows up. And bringing up the book to look up bosses takes forever. I'm hoping that will improve on PS5.

Oh and far as platforms go.. Switch is "under development" so not currently available.. If that's your thing.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 19, 2020, 4:06 pm

I did do the $5 thing because it's 2700 primogems (and 300 genesis crystals)over a month so that's not bad (when compared to buying the Genesis crystals) assuming you at least log in once a day.

I am considering the battle pass only if I make it to 30 in the next 3 weeks otherwise it's a bit pointless to pay for. I'm at 17 now so will see how that goes.
Those are ok, I just meant don't go nuts buying gems to roll on banners because it will get really expensive and can be very disappointing.

I play a lot of gacha games on android emulators. This isn't your typical gacha game. It seems you can get by with what you get. Thankfully a decent purple spear dropped early for me so Xiangling has a decent weapon.

I really enjoy exploring in this game and the climbing/gliding. I haven't gotten to COOP yet. I hear it's not that great right now. I'm enjoying the solo campaign.

The party I usually have is Venti, Fischl, Xiangling and Kaeya...I'm trying to work Ningguang in there sometimes but she's better combo'd with another Animo and I don't use the default character usually. She's nice because her special ability reveals metal deposits. Bummer part is my main party doesnt have heavy weapons so Xiangling has to beat on the metal deposits for awhile to get them.

I removed the censorship blocks for pantyshots, but otherwise haven't messed with anything else : ) You can see on Fischl the painted on extra parts of her outfit. On the PC you ust delete a folder named "block" so not hard to do.

I was able to get a copy of Xiangling and Fischl and haven't gotten the free copies you eventually get of them so that is at least a little boost to their constellations.

I'm surprised by how much audio dialog this game has. The story is ok a well.

I use the Beserker Artifact set on Xiangling

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
October 19, 2020, 10:09 am
I spent 5 dollars on the welkin moon thing, and I might buy the optional battle pass. I figure supporting them a little anyway is fine after how much time I've spent playing it.

The game made $50 Million dollars the first week of it's release.
Genshin Impact has started its journey in the market in style. The new miHoYo video game has registered more than 17 million downloads in just four days on mobile devices, to which we must also add the downloads registered in the PS Store for PS4 and computer players. According to an analysis by App Annie, we can talk about more than 50 million dollars in revenue since its launch on September 28.
Projected to make 100 Million it's first month.

I don't know how anyone could play this on a phone though and it' doesn't work on android emulators so those mobile people are playing on phones or tablets.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

I hope they are going to invest some of that money into polishing up what's already there in addition to releasing new things because it's got a bit of jank. I also would consider buying some of the wishes once in awhile if they were a dollar each or something. I haven't done the math on it but I believe it's something like $2.50 for a single wish. Which is insane as the drop rates on a 5 star are somewhere in the 0.6% - 0.8% range. For a mobile game, sure.. But they are releasing this on PC and Console and players in those segments aren't really fans of systems like that.

I found the artifact 'quest'. It didn't go well. It started off not too bad but near the end I got a bit overwhelmed so I'll have to level up a bit more before trying it again. Not real happy that I did all that work to get there just to be foiled in my plans by some flaky combat. Just give me my loot!

I can't stand how some of the enemies in this game can stun lock you so you get hit over and over and die because there is nothing you can do about it. Other than not get hit in the first place that is. Even better is when you get stuck between a mob and a wall or something and you can't get out... Chalk up another death.

I tried co-op over the weekend as there was an event that matched you with 3 others. Or at least it was supposed to. Sometimes the event would start and there would be just two of us there. And sometimes when I was pulled in 20-30 seconds had already gone by on the timer. At least the times that the timer actually showed up which was only about half the time. I was trying to do the objective of completing it under 3 minutes but the closest I got to that was 3:04. And then when it was over if they had joined me there was no easy way for me to leave that group I had to kick people individually. So that system could use some more work.

And the camera! At times it can be so maddening with obstacles like grass and such blocking your view when you're trying to charge a bow shot or doing combat in general.

Cryo Regivines for some reason are giving me a hard time. I watched a video and was like.. Hey that's easy let me try.. An hour later still wasn't able to defeat it so logged off in frustration. I can kill the Pyro one fairly quick with no issue and my items on Barbara aren't all that great. The Hypostasis cube bosses are also pretty easy at this point. I haven't tried the Oceanid yet but I hear it's a pain. Which stinks because that's where ascension material for Barbara comes from.

I've also hit the wall where things start to go slow and not a lot to do. I ran around Mondstadt area for an hour and couldn't find any chests so apparently the ones with the red spinny runes don't respawn as near as I can tell. You can do elites and such but with only 120 resin a day it's pointless if you're looking for rewards once that runs out. And I have no quests available so money is at a crawl which is making it hard to level up characters or weapons.

The journey to that point though was pretty fun for the most part. I don't know how many hours I've put into it to get there but it's probably been 60+ by now. So if you play it more casual than I have been it should last you awhile. And by that time new areas should be added.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I ran through a few of the regivines last night and had no trouble. I've leveled my main team and their weapons up as far as I can, as well as leveled most of their abilities up as far as I can, so that may be why. The Oceanid wasn't tough, but it was a bit different fight than the Regivines - the Oceanid just spawns waves of enemies that look like it, and as you defeat them it chips at its health. I don't even think there was a "do this quick or it regenerates health" mechanic like the regivines have.

I agree on the hope that they heavily invest back into the game. I'm only AR 31, so I'm a bit behind you, but I've got like half of Liyue to explore as well as the 3 story quests you need to unlock with keys, and then I'll be about tapped out as well. I'd like to push through to 40 as it looks like the rewards that drop start really ramping up, but I likely won't as it just sounds like too much of a slog. I'll likely play it for another week or so and then put it aside until they add more content.

The stunlock can be fucking annoying. Seems like I have it with the groups of treasure hunters or whatever, the most. They spam fire/shock grenades at you and sometimes I just get stunlocked and it's infuriating. To make matters worse, they keep saying "That tingle" over and over while they do it and it just makes it that much more maddening.

I think maybe shields, especially the big Hillichurl (however the fuck it's spelled) guys give me the hardest time so far. With Xiangling I usually have to pop her R2 special several times to whittle their fucking shield down. A long while back I got a tutorial about how geo helps with shields - I don't usually have a geo character in the party, but I tested out using the traveler geo abilities to get rid of the shield and it didn't really seem to help anymore than fire. These enemies need to be toned down, I shouldn't have to spend several minutes whittling away at a trash mobs health because it's turtling behind an almost impenetrable shield.

I think the one other big complaint that's came up for me repeatedly is enemy's abilities tracking. I don't think tracking should really be a thing for the most part, but especially when a huge enemy with a shield charges forward, they shouldn't be able to turn on a dime to track me and ensure they hit me.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

double post
Last edited by Winnow on October 20, 2020, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 20, 2020, 4:14 am
I've also hit the wall where things start to go slow and not a lot to do. I ran around Mondstadt area for an hour and couldn't find any chests so apparently the ones with the red spinny runes don't respawn as near as I can tell. You can do elites and such but with only 120 resin a day it's pointless if you're looking for rewards once that runs out. And I have no quests available so money is at a crawl which is making it hard to level up characters or weapons.

The journey to that point though was pretty fun for the most part. I don't know how many hours I've put into it to get there but it's probably been 60+ by now. So if you play it more casual than I have been it should last you awhile. And by that time new areas should be added.
With gacha games it's usually best to enjoy it until you hit the eventual wall and then set it aside or have patience and wait for the resources to build the characters. Their money making model it to get you to accelerate advancement by paying for things that would eventually come with more time.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:
October 20, 2020, 10:17 am
I ran through a few of the regivines last night and had no trouble. I've leveled my main team and their weapons up as far as I can, as well as leveled most of their abilities up as far as I can, so that may be why.
The fire one was easy so I don't know what it was about the ice one. Maybe it was just my team makeup as for fire all I had was Amber who was only level 40 so the weak spots took awhile to break. And I couldn't use Barbara much to heal because then I'd become frozen. I'll throw Xiangling into the mx instead of Fischl and see how that goes.

The Oceanid wasn't tough, but it was a bit different fight than the Regivines - the Oceanid just spawns waves of enemies that look like it, and as you defeat them it chips at its health. I don't even think there was a "do this quick or it regenerates health" mechanic like the regivines have.
There is a timer in that if you take too long on a wave a whirlpool spawns that basically one shots you. Which sucks because I killed that stupid fat bird in the wave and still got the whirlpool of doom 5 seconds later. Again, my party makeup could have been an issue here. I had Fischl and Amber but they didn't seem to be doing much as it was hard to get a charged shot in time before getting hit.

I'd like to push through to 40 as it looks like the rewards that drop start really ramping up, but I likely won't as it just sounds like too much of a slog. I'll likely play it for another week or so and then put it aside until they add more content.
Even then I'd probably at least log in once a day. Can do the easy 4 commissions and burn through the 120 resin on a few bosses. 30 minutes tops.

I think maybe shields, especially the big Hillichurl (however the fuck it's spelled) guys give me the hardest time so far. With Xiangling I usually have to pop her R2 special several times to whittle their fucking shield down. A long while back I got a tutorial about how geo helps with shields - I don't usually have a geo character in the party, but I tested out using the traveler geo abilities to get rid of the shield and it didn't really seem to help anymore than fire. These enemies need to be toned down, I shouldn't have to spend several minutes whittling away at a trash mobs health because it's turtling behind an almost impenetrable shield.
The Stonehide Lawachurl suck. But supposedly Noelle is good for that as well as the Geo shield guys. For the other shield enemies I don't have much of a problem. For wood burn them. I usually let them charge then I dodge out of the way then hit them in the back a couple times while they are recovering. Amber's bunny bear thing is also a good distraction so as they are looking at that I sneak around back and give them some whacks.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Here's a reset timer chart:
[Show]
Image

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

So according to that chests might respawn.. However 2-4 weeks for seems a bit excessive.

I'm more curious in a spreadsheet of upgrade materials. I'm sure something like that exists but I haven't really searched for it yet.

Speaking of upgrades, Talents are never something they tell you you can upgrade from what I recall. I didn't find out about it until I saw it mentioned in a video. And of course all those need materials as well.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

According to MiHoYo, from what I read, the chests don't respawn so don't get your hopes up on those.

I found a spreadsheet but it was very busy and spread across 12 different tabs so I just created my own with all the info I needed to get organized. I mostly wanted an easy way to see an overall picture of what materials were shared between what characters so I knew what to work on. Nice and color coded so I can easily look and see that, for example, 3 characters need materials from Oceanid or that 5 characters require the "Ballad" talent materials.

I changed up my party a bit and was finally able to kill the Cryo Regivine and the Oceanid. They aren't as easy as using Barbara on the Pyro Regisvine, which takes him out fast, but it was doable. Mostly it was Xiangling with the flamethrower bear for the Regivine. That makes quick work of the weak spot to get it down and the "Super" elemental attack (forgot what it's called) does a lot of damage once it's on the ground. For Oceanid I just used Amber to throw out the bear decoy, used Fischl to summon Oz, then just do quick shots on them. My Traveler didn't do too bad with melee either so I threw in some of that.

I'm about to hit AR35, and to unlock AR36 there's a quest so I think I am just going to sit at 35 for a few weeks and farm ascension materials from the bosses since I doubt things get any easier at WL4. AR35 unlocks my next set of levels (70) anyway so it makes sense to farm that stuff at my current WL. That's going to require a lot of materials (and Mora) with Resin being the limiting factor. That's a good thing really as I can cut my play time down on this game to about an hour a day. It doesn't take long to do the 4 daily quests and burn though 120 resin as that's only 3 Elite bosses. Or 6 Domains if needing Talent materials.

I still haven't beat the Wolf boss yet so that's next on the list. I wanted to do that before I moved to WL3 but doing that was an accident. I saw a quest and did it! So I made things harder on myself as my characters were lacking in other areas so making enemies tougher before I was ready wasn't helpful in the grand scheme of things.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nice work on the ice flower! I don't know - I watched a bunch of videos from various streamers that are all AR 40+ and they all seem to say that the chests are respawning for them, albeit really slowly. That doesn't matter to me though, because once the game gets to just repetitive grinding and trying to find chests to open, I'm out. The grind just isn't fun for me anymore.

I believe I'm AR 31. I beat the wolf before I last leveled up my WL, but I tried him again at my current WL and got the shit stomped out of m. I do want to beat him for various reasons though, so I'm going to figure out how my strategy needs to shift there.

Have you got the daily yet where the lady in Mondstadt is trying to be like Jean, and she wants you to defeat 6 target dummies at once? Apparently they can be in a few different patterns, and the one time I got it they were in the most obnoxious configuration there is. I finally figured out a method but man was that annoying.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:
October 22, 2020, 10:06 am
Nice work on the ice flower! I don't know - I watched a bunch of videos from various streamers that are all AR 40+ and they all seem to say that the chests are respawning for them, albeit really slowly. That doesn't matter to me though, because once the game gets to just repetitive grinding and trying to find chests to open, I'm out. The grind just isn't fun for me anymore.
It sounds like you'll be out soon! The grind is real. I have 4 characters ascended that I can't level up because I don't have the Mora to do so and no real way to farm it in an effective manner.. Chests are gone.. Quests are finished... Mobs drop it but it's usually a tiny amount like 24 which is laughable.

I've been looking for a grindy game lately so I'll probably stick with it for awhile. I did find a couple chests in areas I thought I had already been to but it's hard to remember when you've opened ~700 of them. Even then it was only about 4 so if they are respawning it's super slow since I started playing the game almost 3 weeks ago.
I believe I'm AR 31. I beat the wolf before I last leveled up my WL, but I tried him again at my current WL and got the shit stomped out of me. I do want to beat him for various reasons though, so I'm going to figure out how my strategy needs to shift there.
I finally beat him today but it was fairly just brute force and involved using a lot of food items. I watched one guy do it with just Amber and I'm like.. Why can't I do that?! I kept getting hit by attacks you need to dodge that I could have sworn I dodged in time so that was super frustrating.
Have you got the daily yet where the lady in Mondstadt is trying to be like Jean, and she wants you to defeat 6 target dummies at once? Apparently they can be in a few different patterns, and the one time I got it they were in the most obnoxious configuration there is. I finally figured out a method but man was that annoying.
I've gotten that one a couple times now including the one where it was two groups of 3 spaced far apart. For that I just got them all low HP then I think I used Xingling's Super with the swirling axes and uh.. Something else maybe. It would be nice to remember for the next time I get that one since it did take me a bit to figure out!

The most annoying one so far was to protect the moving balloon in a a swampy area where everything freezes you. I failed it at least 10 times. I eventually got it by jumping on top and just using melee but even then I fell off eventually and had to use range while trying not to get frozen. Talk about annoying! I also had the ballon one but in a different area and it wasn't bad and finished it the first time.

It looks like they are making slight changes to the resin system with v1.1:
Q: I never have enough Original Resin, which makes it difficult to complete various daily tasks and the weekly Battle Pass Missions.
A: In Version 1.1, we have decreased the Original Resin requirement in Battle Pass Weekly Missions from 1,600 to 1,200.
Furthermore, Travelers will be able to store up to a maximum of 160 Original Resin (increased from the current limit of 120).
So you can store 40 more.. But is that in the same time as before to get to max (16 hours) or is that now extended further? If so that is a useless change. Also, 160*7=1120 so you're still 80 short of that weekly BP goal so I find that hilarious they couldn't even throw people that bone. Sure, it's now more doable but still.. Good job on making it annoying.
Q: Traversing the game world is time-consuming, I want to be able to set my own teleport waypoints for areas that I frequently visit.
A: We have developed an item that provides this kind of function which will be available for free in a new system. Travelers can look out for this in Version 1.1!
Cool I guess. I don't really have one particular spot I go to frequently. I don't find the current system all that time-consuming as the teleporters are usually close to most areas.

I heard also that they will be adding the ability to lock weapons and artifacts. Which is good because I've almost deleted some of those while trying to do enhancements on them.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

I'm playing another game right now but plan to get back to this one at some point. We've got less than a month until Cyberpunk 2077 so get your playtime in now.

I just wanted to say, I hate gliding/flying tests. Not only in this game, in any game!

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
October 24, 2020, 3:20 pm
I'm playing another game right now but plan to get back to this one at some point. We've got less than a month until Cyberpunk 2077 so get your playtime in now.
I have Cyberpunk preordered but for some reason I'm not all that hyped for it. Thinking I might just cancel that and wait a year for it to be $20.

I will probably get back to Destiny in Nov once the new expansion launches. I'll still do the dailies and stuff in GI but I can't see myself spending 6+ hours at one time any longer. Running out of things to do other than wait for resin to regenerate and once they change the cap to 160 there's no real point in logging in more than once a day for ~30 minutes. Which I'm fine with.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 25, 2020, 12:14 am
Winnow wrote:
October 24, 2020, 3:20 pm
I'm playing another game right now but plan to get back to this one at some point. We've got less than a month until Cyberpunk 2077 so get your playtime in now.
I have Cyberpunk preordered but for some reason I'm not all that hyped for it. Thinking I might just cancel that and wait a year for it to be $20
That's crazy talk!

I won't hijack this thread but Cyberpunk 2077 has to be one of the most grandiose games ever developed. An incredible amount of work put into it by a company that knows what it's doing and isn't a slave to anyone, publisher or platform. CD Projekt Red deserves my money. There are so very few companies capable of making AAA games that can express their artistic freedom. They refused to bow to the protesters who wanted them to remove content from the game. They kept it's Mature 17+ rating because they don't care about making an extra buck. They have never screwed over their player base with loot boxes etc. Besides all of those great things, the game is going to be awesome. Sure, people will complain about stuff because we live in a cancel culture where nothing possibly could be accepted as good and people focus on the negatives, but it will be good. Fuck the whiny bitches!

Anyway, they've earned my money from past performance and the stances and decisions they made on this game.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Red Dead Redemption 2 was another one of the most "grandiose games ever developed" this generation and I found it terribly disappointing and have regretted my Day 1 Special Edition purchase ever since.

Not saying CP2077 won't be good but that doesn't mean I have to play it when it first comes out and there are plenty of games in the meantime. And usually the longer you wait the better the game gets with bugs being fixed and new content being added (as well as the price getting lower (unless it's a Nintendo game)).

I still haven't gotten around to Witcher 3 and my life is going just fine. They are just video games, people!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 25, 2020, 3:18 pm
Red Dead Redemption 2 was another one of the most "grandiose games ever developed" this generation and I found it terribly disappointing and have regretted my Day 1 Special Edition purchase ever since.
Red Dead isn't made by CD Projekt Red, and no need to say anything more. If you haven't played Witcher 3 yet then you aren't really informed about how good recent RPG games by CD Projekt Red have been except maybe by a second hand article. It's OK. I understand. It makes perfect sense why you wouldn't be as interested about Cyberpunk 2077. Enjoy the gacha game! Those die out pretty fast once you hit their walls. They're pretty fun up until that point.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Passive aggressive much? I never said I wasn't interested just not that hyped for it. If I wasn't interested I wouldn't have pre-ordered it in the first fucking place.

I'm not sure why you're defending a game so hard that I didn't even say anything bad about. Play it. Enjoy it. That should be good enough. Don't worry about what I am doing.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

I don't care what you do. My point is that some developers put a lot more effort into their games. CD Project Red is one of the best. I find it surprising that you haven't even tried their best game as a gamer instead maybe opting for the 10th regurgitated release of an Assassins Creed game. I realize there are plenty of options when it comes to games. This is a gaming subforum on a gaming site. It was worth mentioning.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

It's also worth mentioning that the topic of this post, on said forum, is Genshin Impact. So take your bullshit somewhere else.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 27, 2020, 1:29 pm
It's also worth mentioning that the topic of this post, on said forum, is Genshin Impact. So take your bullshit somewhere else.
Too late. I said I didn't want to hijack the thread but you responded to it on this thread instead of the Cyberpunk thread. The game has been delayed until Dec 10th which gives you time to play Assassins Creed: Retextured to look like Vikings Edition on Nov 10th. The game that moved their start date up because they didn't want to get ass stomped by CD Project Red's release.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I won't hijack this thread
Then proceeds to do the very thing they said they wouldn't do. Yet it is someone else's fault.

I sure wish I could live in your bubble.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 27, 2020, 3:53 pm
Winnow wrote:I won't hijack this thread
Then proceeds to do the very thing they said they wouldn't do. Yet it is someone else's fault.

I sure wish I could live in your bubble.
I wouldn't have posted another word on the thread if no response. Thanks enabler! Try posting on the Cyberpunk thread next time.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I wouldn't have posted another word on the thread if no response. Thanks enabler! Try posting on the Cyberpunk thread next time.
Again.. Always someone else's fault. You could have posted a response with a link to the CP2077 thread and said "Please see my response there". But you didn't. Because of course you didn't.

Anyway.. Back on topic. I hit AR 39 and am pretty much down to just logging on to do daily tasks and to burn through Resin. It sucks that there isn't more to do in the game but considering it's a Gacha game, and they are trying to get you to spend money, I understand. And it's fine... I can find other things to do with that time.

I have two characters at 70 and 2 others ascended to 70 but not yet at that point (~65 or so). The XP (and Mora) to get to 70 is a bit ridiculous. I did buy the Battle Pass and am at level 42 so I shouldn't have any problem getting it to 50. I did buy the $20 version which gave 10 extra levels but regardless still only $30 into this game after 100+ hours so I think it's fine.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
October 28, 2020, 11:22 pm
Winnow wrote:I wouldn't have posted another word on the thread if no response. Thanks enabler! Try posting on the Cyberpunk thread next time.
Again.. Always someone else's fault. You could have posted a response with a link to the CP2077 thread and said "Please see my response there". But you didn't. Because of course you didn't.
wtf? Right after you could have done the exact same thing the previous post? Talk about someone living in their own private Idaho! ...always someone else's fault...you found the solution you yourself didn't choose.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:wtf? Right after you could have done the exact same thing the previous post? Talk about someone living in their own private Idaho! ...always someone else's fault...you found the solution you yourself didn't choose.
Always have to get the last word don't you? Good job ruining another thread. You didn't even need to bring CP 2077 into the discussion to begin with you big dummy head.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

You didn't need to respond again just to comment about last word when it looks like you were looking for the last word!

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
October 28, 2020, 11:22 pm
Winnow wrote:I wouldn't have posted another word on the thread if no response. Thanks enabler! Try posting on the Cyberpunk thread next time.
Again.. Always someone else's fault. You could have posted a response with a link to the CP2077 thread and said "Please see my response there". But you didn't. Because of course you didn't.

Anyway.. Back on topic. I hit AR 39 and am pretty much down to just logging on to do daily tasks and to burn through Resin. It sucks that there isn't more to do in the game but considering it's a Gacha game, and they are trying to get you to spend money, I understand. And it's fine... I can find other things to do with that time.

I have two characters at 70 and 2 others ascended to 70 but not yet at that point (~65 or so). The XP (and Mora) to get to 70 is a bit ridiculous. I did buy the Battle Pass and am at level 42 so I shouldn't have any problem getting it to 50. I did buy the $20 version which gave 10 extra levels but regardless still only $30 into this game after 100+ hours so I think it's fine.
I'm still a bit behind you (AR 34, main team is all at 60), but already in the same mode. I log in and do the dailies, do the event that's going on now, and spend resin. I still have maybe half of Liyue to explore, but I do that on weekends. The rest of my gaming time is currently split between Vigil on Switch, and Control on PS4. Thinking about finally biting on Tsushima with the reception the new content is getting, but I might wait to see if it goes on sale for the holidays.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

I am real close to AR40. Which is bad since it will force me to WL5. I'm not a fan of that. I prefer the ones where you need to do a quest to advance to the next WL. But overall things haven't been that difficult. Other than those large hilichurls with the Geo built in. Not the shield ones but the huge ones with the yellow bar under their health bar. I can never seem to avoid their large aoe attacks so they are super annoying to fight.

But yeah not too much to do in this game now. Everything to progress is based on Resin. And you only get a certain amount of that (~180) per day. And the things that use that are VERY quick. I can bust out 3 elites, which is 40 resin a pop, in about 15 minutes. But really I'm ok with that. I no longer need to spend 8+ hours a day playing it!

I have gotten better with the Dvalin fight. I almost beat the 60 version but failed at like 10%. The Wolf I beat the first time and he was level 65 or so. Basically use Fischl. The first phase is super simple but the second phase is annoying as shit. I can't seem to avoid the "three pronged attack" whatever it's called and it hits me everytime. And it sucks to heal with Barbara since I then get freezed a lot. However my heal is 2300hp a tick so it's still worth it.

As far as my characters go I have 4 ascended to 70 but only 2 leveled up to that point. And for some reason Venti isn't one of them. For whatever reason I don't like playing him that much as he doesn't feel all that powerful. It's probably just a matter of having to use him more.


PS: Winnow is still a big dummy head and still trying super hard to be part of the conversation. It's sad in a way.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
October 29, 2020, 8:26 pm
I am real close to AR40. Which is bad since it will force me to WL5. I'm not a fan of that. I prefer the ones where you need to do a quest to advance to the next WL. But overall things haven't been that difficult. Other than those large hilichurls with the Geo built in. Not the shield ones but the huge ones with the yellow bar under their health bar. I can never seem to avoid their large aoe attacks so they are super annoying to fight.

But yeah not too much to do in this game now. Everything to progress is based on Resin. And you only get a certain amount of that (~180) per day. And the things that use that are VERY quick. I can bust out 3 elites, which is 40 resin a pop, in about 15 minutes. But really I'm ok with that. I no longer need to spend 8+ hours a day playing it!

I have gotten better with the Dvalin fight. I almost beat the 60 version but failed at like 10%. The Wolf I beat the first time and he was level 65 or so. Basically use Fischl. The first phase is super simple but the second phase is annoying as shit. I can't seem to avoid the "three pronged attack" whatever it's called and it hits me everytime. And it sucks to heal with Barbara since I then get freezed a lot. However my heal is 2300hp a tick so it's still worth it.

As far as my characters go I have 4 ascended to 70 but only 2 leveled up to that point. And for some reason Venti isn't one of them. For whatever reason I don't like playing him that much as he doesn't feel all that powerful. It's probably just a matter of having to use him more.


PS: Winnow is still a big dummy head and still trying super hard to be part of the conversation. It's sad in a way.
Yeah, I think it would be nice for them to put a quest in the way of all the world level increases after like AR30, because the difficulty jump can be significant, and if you didn't grind/gear/level up "enough" in the last tier, it could make it a big pain in your ass. I don't have too tough of a time with those geo dudes (granted I've not run into them very often up until this point) - I think that's probably due to 4-5 (can't recall offhand) constellation Xiangling though.

I've honestly completely forgotten to do the Dvalin fight after the first time for the story - I'll have to try that over the weekend. I did get one kill on the Wolf at level 60 - wasn't too tough. Like you said, I used Fischl when he was at range, and Xiangling when I got in close and just played it safe.

I'm also backing off on putting too many resources into Venti. I'll always use him in my exploration team, but he isn't powerful enough (without additional constellations, at least) to be in the main team long term. I just don't know who I want to replace him with yet, and I'm not trying to rush the decision since I don't have enough materials to just keep leveling people I don't end up using.

I've just finally got enough stardust to buy Razor from the store, but I can't decide if I should. I know he can be powerful, but I don't know how powerful he is w/ no constellations.

:D

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote: Yeah, I think it would be nice for them to put a quest in the way of all the world level increases after like AR30, because the difficulty jump can be significant, and if you didn't grind/gear/level up "enough" in the last tier, it could make it a big pain in your ass. I don't have too tough of a time with those geo dudes (granted I've not run into them very often up until this point) - I think that's probably due to 4-5 (can't recall offhand) constellation Xiangling though.
Xiangling is one I am sorta levelling up but can't quite commit to fully for some reason. I find myself keeping Amber in my team more often when I'm doing normal exploring. For the main reason of her exploding bear. That makes short work of most of the crystals and her charged shot blows up the purple ones in one go. Otherwise it takes forever to hack away with my Traveler characters sword. I think heavy weapon users can break most of them easily but other than Noelle, who I haven't been levelling up that much, I don't have one.
I've honestly completely forgotten to do the Dvalin fight after the first time for the story - I'll have to try that over the weekend. I did get one kill on the Wolf at level 60 - wasn't too tough. Like you said, I used Fischl when he was at range, and Xiangling when I got in close and just played it safe.
One of them dropped a 5 star artifact but I think it was the Wolf, who was level 65 I think, since for Dvalin I had to bump his level down to 50. The next time he's up I shouldn't have a problem beating him at 60 as I got so close last time. The most annoying thing is he electrifies the floor really quickly the few times I've tried him at 60 and I run out of platforms without the scary lightning all over it that does damage.
I've just finally got enough stardust to buy Razor from the store, but I can't decide if I should. I know he can be powerful, but I don't know how powerful he is w/ no constellations.
I would have had enough for him but I spent 10 to buy 2 wishes. It seems like him and Amber will always be in the store (for now) so in theory you could max constellation him eventually. Might take like a year or two though at that rate.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:
October 31, 2020, 4:13 am
It seems like him and Amber will always be in the store (for now) so in theory you could max constellation him eventually. Might take like a year or two though at that rate.
Seems that's not true as now it's Bennett and Lisa. Darn.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

I ascended 3 characters to 80 but I have no experience to level them although I did get Fischl to 77 so that's something. The amount you get by killing creatures and stuff should be more instead of pushing those xp books on people. I got no books! So it looks like I'll be doing Ley Lines the next week or two. :( My Xiangling is lagging at 63 so I'd like to get her at least to 70 as well at some point.

I also hit AR40 which bumped me up to WL5. Things don't seem that bad but there is one quest/challenge in Tianqiu Valley that I was unable to complete at WL4 so it's probably impossible now. Also one of the Liyue domains that has 3 Ruin Guards (two walking, one Flying) that kept wrecking me when you got them all firing rockets at you. Especially once that flying one if he gets in the air. To bring him down you need a charged shot. Which is nearly impossible to get in between 18 rockets headed your way.

At least there is a locked jump to WL6 between AR 45 and 46 so I'll probably sit at 45 and just farm stuff before doing that quest. PS5, as well as Beyond Light, will be out by then so I don't see myself playing GI as much as I am now. Although with 1.1 it's supposed to make it load faster and look better on the PS5 so I'm sure I'll move over to playing it there since it can be a bit rough on PS4 at times.

I had enough primogems saved to do a 10 Wish and got a purple sword I'll never use. So... Thanks, I guess! With the shop reset I was able to get the 5/5 wishes and all I got out of those was an Amber. So that was 20 wishes that got me crap. If I were to have actually paid money for 20 wishes that would have been $50. Fifty dollars! That shit is ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with loot boxes overall but $2.50 for a single one, especially with the really low drop percentages on the 4 and 5 star items, is stupid and downright predatory. At least I have the willpower to not spend hundreds of dollars on this. Hopefully those who don't will stay far away from this and other gacha games.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
November 1, 2020, 6:20 pm
Hopefully those who don't will stay far away from this and other gacha games.
Genshin Impact made 245 Million it's first month so I doubt that.
"Genshin Impact is a great example of how Chinese developers are succeeding in the West by focusing on high production values, popular gameplay mechanics, and deep progression systems," said Niko Partners analyst Daniel Ahmad to Sensor Tower.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

I know it's made a lot of money. I just hope most of it came from people who can afford to throw money at it and not people with a compulsive gambling personality.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
November 4, 2020, 4:36 pm
I know it's made a lot of money. I just hope most of it came from people who can afford to throw money at it and not people with a compulsive gambling personality.
I doubt it. These games target whales that spend too much money. They are designed that way. And by whaling I mean spending thousands of dollars on a game. Even spending $1,000 isn't considered being a whale in a gacha game. That's more like being a "dolphin".

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Still playing! I mostly log on twice a day just to use my resin. Or farm bosses for materials if I'm watching something and don't need to pay much attention to the game.

I am AR41 now and it's pretty slow going since the majority of the experience to level AR comes from the 4 daily commissions since I have no other quests to do and there isn't (m)any chests to open. And those only give 20-30 anyway. I think the amount to AR42 is around 11500. If you do the 4 dailies that nets you 1500. If my math holds up that's over a week to get to the next rank.

For people who say chests respawn I'm still waiting on proof! There is a trophy for opening 400 chests in Mondstadt and I've been at 390 for days. Liyue does seem to have some respawn but with such a big area it's hard to know if I just missed them the first time and are finding them now.

I got Fischl to 80, the main character to 76, and Xiangling ascended to 70 with almost enough materials to ascend to 80. I just need one more Pyro Regisvine for that.

I killed the 72 Wolf with no issue on Monday but haven't tried Dvalin yet. I'll probably try the level 70 version first and see how that goes. I don't have a problem with his phases but if you don't do enough damage fast enough you end up running out of safe platforms.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 27302
Joined: July 5, 2002, 1:56 pm
Location: A Special Place in Hell

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
November 6, 2020, 3:44 am
Still playing! I mostly log on twice a day just to use my resin. Or farm bosses for materials if I'm watching something and don't need to pay much attention to the game.
Having played a ton of gacha games over the past 2 or so years, I can confirm this is how they all end up. Very fun and lots of things going on in the beginning and then there's a wall where you end up just logging on and doing the dailies and logging off, eventually getting tired of even doing that.

I use an emulator to play gahca games, not sure how anyone would spend so much time on an actual phone doing all the repeat dailies etc that gacha's require. The nice thing about gacha games is that new ones constantly are being released so when the few you're playing hit that wall, you can drop them and play new ones until they hit that wall.

Gacha games are the ultimate "journey not the destination" that's enjoyable, collecting characters, etc. I'd say on average I'm playing about 4 of them at one time, dropping/adding a game about once a week so the full rotation for most games is about 1 month.

Genchin Impact is better than most gacha games. It's a little more RPG, much better story/voice work etc than your normal gacha game, and more open world. It may be a curse that it's doing so well on consoles/pc as you will see more gacha, P2W type games replacing your classic games. While my attention span is 100x longer than Biden's, I still will lose interest in about a month for most of these so that plays to my favor.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Not sure what all that even means.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Can confirm: GI runs much smoother on a PS5.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 8929
Joined: July 7, 2002, 9:12 pm
Gender: Male
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nice! Jealous. I tried to pick GI back up yesterday and couldn't get into it - I guess just knowing that I'm within a couple hours of playing away from hitting the grind wall just makes me not interested anymore. I'll probably pick it back up when they add the next city/area.

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

I can't fault you for that. It's definitely grindy once you hit AR40 and maybe even a few before that. But I'm down to just logging in and burning through my resin, mostly just on the ascension materials. Those bosses take 40 resin to claim so do 3-4 of those and I'm done for the day. I jumped back into Destiny 2 with the latest expansion so that's been keeping me busy so I don't really need 2 grindy games at the moment.

At least I thought I was down to just brief logging in... But then today I hit level 10 on the Battle Pass and got a free wish. Pulled a Diluc! According to the History I had 78 wishes on that banner so I just barely beat Pity but I'm not complaining. So that's good and bad. Good because.. I mean Diluc. Bad because I'll need materials and mora to level him up. I'll probably replace Amber with him. Amber I didn't use for bosses but just running around in the world I liked having her around.

With 1.1 they added another main boss so we're up to 3 on those. He's pretty easy with, of course, Fischl. Sometimes he kills one of my characters because there's an attack you can't avoid unless you can get off the floor so I suppose I'd need to bring Venti in for that but overall it's not that bad especially since before the last phase you get a breather and he doesn't attack until you move forward so you have time to rez and heal up as/if needed.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

User avatar
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
Posts: 12147
Joined: July 3, 2002, 12:57 pm

Re: Genshin Impact (PS4/PC/Switch/Mobile)

Post by Aslanna »

Moved my response from the other thread...
Funkmasterr wrote:
November 20, 2020, 11:35 am
Interesting, I didn't know it wasn't totally unlocked yet - it definitely sounds grindy. My main team is decent, I've got Xiangling and Barbara both max constellation. My Fischl is at 1 currently as well, and I've got 2-3 new characters recently and got a constellation for a couple of them. I need to figure out who to replace Venti with in my main team...
Yeah the second part unlocked a couple days after the first. The third part is soon. It was time locked not grind locked. It's only grindy if you want to try and get as much of the meteor materials as possible to spend in the store. If you don't care about that the only real grind (so far) is the 14 meteor challenges or whatever they are called but you can choose the level and tone it down some. Some are super annoying since you have to stay in the circle or lose progress but then you have some enemies like the hilichurl dudes that do the spin attack and knock you out and by the time you get back in you've incurred a penalty. So I've had to bump a few down from level 80 to 70 (and one or two I went to 60) because they were too frustrating. You do lose 5 fragments each step you bump it down but I can live with that.

In my party I've slowly been replacing Amber with Diluc who I have up to 70 but his weapon isn't that great and I can't farm the materials to ascend that because I am using all my resin on the event. Mostly now I just switch him in to do his fire attack then switch to Fischl or Traveller. It's nice having basically instant fire rather than a charged attack from Amber, which gets interrupted a lot, or the exploding and/or fire breathing bunny/bear which can be hit and miss.

People say Venti is really good so I should maybe watch some videos or something and see what the deal is because I must be missing something. It does seem like maybe he'd be good for the challenges because he can group them all together. I have him at level 60 with his talents maxxed out at the moment so it wouldn't take that much to get him to 80. I don't need him now but for the higher levels if Spiral Abyss I probably will since you need two separate teams of 4. Which is dumb.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--

Post Reply