Cosmos

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Cosmos

Post by Winnow »

I've been falling asleep (in a good way, not boring way!) to episodes of Carl Sagan's Cosmos on Netflix.

I sure wish Carl Sagan was still around. Cosmos was originally aired in 1980 and it still is a great series to watch today. The version on Netflix has updates at the end of each episode by Carl Sagan from around 1990, which are still outdated but help a little with the discoveries in the 80's.

It was/is the most widely watched public television show in the world.

Anyone with kids should have them watch Cosmos. It's still a great introduction to a wide range of science topics and might spark some interest in the subject with them.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Cosmos

Post by Xatrei »

This is without question my favorite documentary series ever made (James Burke's original "Connections" runs a close second, though). I remember watching them with my dad as they aired in 1980, and still watch them today from time to time.

Did you know that Sagan's widow Ann Druyan and Steven Soter, both of whom co-wrote Cosmos: A Personal Voyage with Sagan are working with Neil deGrasse Tyson to produce a new version of the show called Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey? Seth MacFarlane is the executive producer and the real driving force behind getting this done. He's a huge fan of Sagan and of the original Cosmos series. It currently looks like the new show will air on both Fox and NatGeo sometime in the spring of 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_ ... me_Odyssey
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey