MORTAL KOMBAT

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

MORTAL KOMBAT

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The previews for this game have been outstanding. I also happen to have 50$ in Best Buy gift certificates to use, so I'll be getting this on release. Due to having 50$ off, I'm considering getting the Tournament edition (includes arcade stick), so it would be 100$ out of pocket. That's a lot of green for a genre I suck at and haven't gotten into this gen, but I'm genuinely excited about this game for some reason. I tried Street Fighter 4, but holy fucking shit do I suck at that game. I guess I need an arcade stick to play it properly, but it's hard to fork over cash for a game that frustrates me so much. I'm hoping that the Mortal Kombat stick layout works well with other fighters like SF4 and Marvel vs Capcom 3 (which I would also buy when it hits 20-25$).

Another big question for me is which version to get? The PS3 version has Kratos, and that is an unbelievably awesome edtion to Mortal Kombat lineup. The Xbox character has not been announced, leading to speculation that there simply isn't a 360 unique character. Instead, they'll get the 2 initial DLC characters for free. Such a missed opportunity for a Gears character :( If I get the stick, then it'll be the 360 version so I can use it with other fighters. If not, then the PS3 exclusive may very well pull be over.

Anyway, onto the game.

1-4 Players (offline)
2+ (online)
2 (local) vs. 2 (online)

720p, 1080p - 60fps (frames per second)

X-Ray moves
2 fatality minimum per character
stage fatalities
Kombat Kodes - In multiplayer matches, during the 'versus screen'; by pressing the attack-buttons you can cycle through symbols for each square. Player 1 can change the first 3, Player 2 changes the other 3. Inputting a code, unlocks modifiers during that fight: like multi-colored blood, zombie-looking characters, armless characters, and so on.

Single player
Ladder
Story
Challenge Tower
Tag Ladder
Training
Tutorial
Practice
Tag Practice
Fatality Training
Test your Luck
Test your Might
Test your Sight
Test your Strike

multiplayer
Versus mode (2/3/4 players)
Team Ladder
Test your Luck - Awesome new addition. A slot machine randoms a series of game modes that effect the match, like no kicking, or triple dmg. Crazy stuff here.

25 Characters right out of the box, with more unlockable (exact number has not been reviled). +1 if you get the PS3 version for Kratos. There will be 2 characters available as DLC soon after release.

25 Stages right out of the box, with others rumored as unlocks. Several of these stages have day and night versions/cycles.

You earn "Kombat points" that can unlock all sorts of shit, from costumes to classic soundtracks.

I even glossed over a bunch of smaller stuff. The game seems suitably epic IMO and they'll get my "Day 1" money.

Here's a fun little video that briefly touches on several of the game's features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGVLWE4ly3Y
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: MORTAL KOMBAT

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'll be getting this. Mortal Kombat has always been my fighting game of choice, I was damn good back in the day but I'll definitely be rusty. I've been on the fence about which console to buy it on too, but I'm starting to learn more towards xbox, just because I want to be able to play against friends instead of only against randoms online.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Getting it, Definately

My Team will be SubZero and Scorpion
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xbox Avatar support looks surprisingly good. Looks like Xbox wins for me. I watched an hourish of streaming Kombat on Justin TV. Some great matches. Game looks amazing.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Avatar support? I hope you don't actually fight as your avatar, that sure would be a waste with all the cool characters they designed.

That being said I think I decided to get this on the 360, I know a ton of people who will be getting it for the 360 and only a couple for PS3. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:Avatar support? I hope you don't actually fight as your avatar, that sure would be a waste with all the cool characters they designed.

That being said I think I decided to get this on the 360, I know a ton of people who will be getting it for the 360 and only a couple for PS3. Looking forward to trying it out tonight.

No, no, not at all (although I think that would be pretty sweet!). Your Avatars que up behind a velvet rope and wait to fight the King of the Hill. The king is on a pedestal on left, the challenger is on the right. When the fight is finished, everyone gets to rank the fight on a 1-10 scale, then your avatars hold up point cards. Everyone in the que watches the matches being played until it is their turn to fight the current champion.

I only saw this for the king of the hill mode. No idea if/how it works in other modes.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Ahh, nice!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Holy shit, I lucked out and grabbed a Tournament Edition for 360! They were limited to 1 per store at Best Buy. Only 20k were made and the majority of the sold by preorder. I feel pretty damn lucky to have gotten one. It took the Best Buy guys about 15 minutes of double and triple checking to make sure it wasn't a preorder before they let me buy it. I'm pretty stoked!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Korrection. Only 10k made.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Korrection. Only 10k made.

Nice, what's the difference with the limited edition version?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The EB Games downstairs has 2 copies of (non preorder) PS3 and 360 Tournament editions.
I walked over to the BestBuy at lunch and also saw a kopies copies.

I doubt that it's as rare as you have been led to believe.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:The EB Games downstairs has 2 copies of (non preorder) PS3 and 360 Tournament editions.
I walked over to the BestBuy at lunch and also saw a kopies copies.

I doubt that it's as rare as you have been led to believe.
Snatch those up if you have the money and brains. Well, you could wait a week or so because they're probably really common and I'm just blowing things out of proportion...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Nice, what's the difference with the limited edition version?
Here is the Tournament Edition. It comes with a fighting stick. (150$)

Here is the Kollector's Edition. It comes with an art book and book ends. (100$)

Then there's the standard game for 60$.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Then there's the standard game for 60$.
Or wait two weeks and get it for $20...
NetherRealm's Ed Boon says that the developer wanted to create a 360-exclusive character, but were prevented from doing so due to pesky "circumstances."

Speaking to Eurogamer, Boon said that the team wanted to give Xbox 360 Mortal Kombat owners their own character like PS3's Kratos, but ultimately it wasn't up to them. "I'm not allowed to talk too much about it, but I can tell you we certainly wanted to do an exclusive for 360, but that's all I can say. It was not a decision we made where we said, 'Oh, let's not do one for the 360.'"

Boon says that NetherRealm wanted to include an 360-exclusive character bad enough that the team was already dreaming up who it could be before the idea was quashed. "Anybody who's really knowledgeable about the Xbox video games, the big titles, names like Master Chief from Halo, Marcus Fenix from Gears of War, and any other Xbox exclusive title, is going to come up in a conversation in talking about it. So clearly we've discussed it."

Unfortunately, it's not to be. Boon's tip-toeing around who's to blame, but who would kill the idea? Microsoft? And for god's sake, why?!
Clearly Obama had something to do with this.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No doubt the game will be 30$ in 4-6 months since most games are. I really would've liked to have seen a Gears character :(
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't really like the design of that fightstick thing, and even if I did I don't think I could justify the price. I still haven't decided for sure which console I'm getting this on.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm not going to lie, I was a little nervous about the purchase. However, as soon as I took it out of the box and set it on my lap, I was immediately glad I bought it. It's very heavy. I would say 5-6 lbs? It's also bigger than I imagined it would be, making me realize I never saw a picture with someone using it for a sense of scale. It hangs over the edge of your lap, and this thing ain't going anywhere. That is a good feeling! I'm installing the game now and will get into it later tonight.

Here's a good video review in the middle of this page.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1162590p1.html

You know what is fucking stupid? Inputting codes for all the shit that comes with games these days. Mortal Kombat had 8 codes for me to input for various free outfits and, of course, the code to be able to play online. Fucking lame. Just put that stuff on the disc and be done with it already.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Snatch those up if you have the money and brains. Well, you could wait a week or so because they're probably really common and I'm just blowing things out of proportion...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories
Don't see any ridiculous bids yet.
I grabbed a PS3 version and may just hold/sell as I don't have that much interest in the actual game.

And yea, it's pretty heavy. :)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Upon closer inspection, the button layout is terrible.
SF or BB would be unplayable for most with this button layout.

A typical Madcatz or Hori fight stick layout would have been much better.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The layout is an exact replica of a Mortal Kombat arcade cab. If you ever played this game in the arcade, then this is the layout you used. It was like slipping into a warm bath for me! I'm right at home! It's horrible for any other fighter that does not have Mortal Kombat in the title.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Why not just use a PS3 controller?

lol!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:Why not just use a PS3 controller?

lol!
At least you can use a PS3 coontroller for fighting games... not like the 360 controller and it's pathetic d-pad
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: At least you can use a PS3 coontroller for fighting games... not like the 360 controller and it's pathetic d-pad
You're not holding it right.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Thank you, Mr Jobs :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think I might get one of the newer 360 controllers that has the adjustable d pad for it, cause those fighting pads just aren't my style, I'd rather use a regular controller.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The Madcatz fightpads are pretty rad...
You should at least give it a try before ruling it out entirely.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well, I'm better at MK than I am at SF4, but that's not saying a hell of a lot. I'm playing through the story mode and trying to learn the move sets in practice mode. There are so many fighters, it's hard to choose one right off the bat to learn. I'm also on the lookout for the strategy guide to DL so I can a move set next to me on my ipad as I'm playing. The stick has turned out to be a great new toy. I was able to play about 3 hours the other night before I hit a difficulty wall in story mode.

Fun game. I'm glad I bought it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:The Madcatz fightpads are pretty rad...
You should at least give it a try before ruling it out entirely.

I don't know about MAdcatz fightpads but their stock is on fire:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=MCZ+Bas ... lysis&t=3m

From .34/share to close to 2.00/share in just a few months? Nice.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

So far Sonya's move set has fit me the best, her combos seem to be a lot more fluid without a huge time investment. I'm going to kind of hold off on this game for a bit though, because when I start playing it I want to pick like 2 people that I get really good at, and the way I see it, it's going to take probably 3-5 hours of practice to really get one down.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have a great Tag-Team!

Anyone up for King of The Hill this weekend?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:So far Sonya's move set has fit me the best, her combos seem to be a lot more fluid without a huge time investment. I'm going to kind of hold off on this game for a bit though, because when I start playing it I want to pick like 2 people that I get really good at, and the way I see it, it's going to take probably 3-5 hours of practice to really get one down.

This is why the story mode is turning out to be a great way to start for me. So far, you play each character for about 3-4 fights in a row. You get to try a little bit of everything and never get a chance to get too used to a particular fighter or style. In true MK tradition, many of the fights are so stacked against your at you'll want to toss your controller across the room after the first fight. But, you keep going back until you eventually beat it and go on to the next match. FYI, story mode is the only way to unlock 2 additional players.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:I have a great Tag-Team!

Anyone up for King of The Hill this weekend?
Sorry, 360 version here!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:So far Sonya's move set has fit me the best, her combos seem to be a lot more fluid without a huge time investment.
I felt bad for Sony so decided to download the PS3 version of this game.

My hands kinda hurt but I had more fun than I thought I would with a fighting game.

By random chance (well, I picked a female character) I ended up with Sonya as well. I made it though beginner 10 fight ladder mode and unlocked her other outfit. I can't figure out how to do their special move that shows the extreme damage animations. I tried the tutorial but got stuck on some move. No matter what I did I couldn't get past part of the tutorial.

I tried one or two other chars. I tend to use the grab technique the most so have trouble against ranged opponents or when someone's too tough to take out with close combat. I haven't figured out how to use a ranged attack yet.

What's more fun? This or that recent Marvel vs Capcom game?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

MC3 is ultra fast, bright, colorful, and there are multiple things going on simultaneously at any given time. It's a different game for sure. Check out some Youtube vids to get an idea of the on screen chaos. I like watching it, but playing it is a different story. It will take me some getting used to. I still plan on picking it up someday on the cheap.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

ROAD TO CEO: CALM OF THE WINNOWESQUE STORM!
20 minutes in

http://www.justin.tv/iplaywinner/b/284348645

---

GSULB SMACKDOWN!
52 minutes in!
http://www.justin.tv/2ggaming/b/284352618

Part 2!
http://www.justin.tv/2ggaming/b/284359405

Krayzie Bone is quite a good player!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks like too many special effects and screen movement for me in Marvel vs Capcom. At least for me, it looks like I'd be able to focus a little more on the actual fight in Mortal Kombat.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Mortal Kombat is the best fightinggame for me 2011!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Shao Kahn can fucking blow me.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just do your most damaging attack when he boasts,taunts etc, he won't block when he does that.

Always avoid or block his spear.

Avoid the hammers, they can't be blocked.

If you have range, use range, he is easier to deal with at range than up-close, since he has that shouldercharge and jumping tackle.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

He beat me twice and then I took him out on the next try. Just avoided the spears and kicked him in his grill when he stopped to laugh.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm just impatient. I have literally not blocked once up to this point, and generally don't. I know I need to work on that but it's just not natural to me. I like to be aggressive and string as many obscenely long combos together as I can.

My only complaint, and it's kind of a broad complaint, is the way fighting games scale difficulty by basically making the AI read your mind. There is no way that 99.9999% of people have the reaction time that some of the AI opponents have, so as far as I'm concerned neither should the AI, they need to find a different way to scale the difficulty.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

P.s. The tag team fights in story mode are bullshit, especially kintaro/goro. It should either be 1 vs 1,or 2 vs 2.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah like I said, the unnecessarily cheap shit theyndo to add difficulty to these games infuriates me. Trying to do the final fight against Shao Kahn for like an hour now on normal and haven't knocked him down once yet. This shit isn't fun, there is absolutely zero reason for it to be this obnoxious on the fucking default difficulty.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

FUNK!

He is EASY on normal!

His Spears can be blocked or Avoided, you can even Interrupt his Spears mid-cast if you hit him.

Avoid his Hammers, they cant be blocked.

He wont block at all when he taunts/boasts etc, use your most damaging attack/kombo then!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

I concurr with the Shao Khan on normal blowing chunks. The issue I have is the random imunity frames they give the bosses in this game that have no discernable pattern. I hate doing exactly the correct thing with perfect timing, only to see Khan flash green and insta-rape me with one of his unblockable combos. I was especially pissed when I saw Goro flash 8 immunity frames in a row through Lui Kang's bicycle kick. Its really ridiculous when you are doing the challenge tower in the upper numbers and he completely stops taunting and over half of the hits get immunity frames. Seriously, fuck the three Khan fight, for that reason alone.

Anyhow, I have everything unlocked other than stage fatalities that you have to manually do, and completed all arcade endings, story, and the challenge tower. I am not sure I am confident enough to play online against the red bull fueled twitch machines that are asian fighting game fans, but maybe when PSN is back up I will give it a go. I think I am going to settle in on Jade, Sheeva, and Sindel as my focus. I think Mileena is probably the most powerful character, though.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Jice Virago wrote:I concurr with the Shao Khan on normal blowing chunks. The issue I have is the random imunity frames they give the bosses in this game that have no discernable pattern. I hate doing exactly the correct thing with perfect timing, only to see Khan flash green and insta-rape me with one of his unblockable combos. I was especially pissed when I saw Goro flash 8 immunity frames in a row through Lui Kang's bicycle kick. Its really ridiculous when you are doing the challenge tower in the upper numbers and he completely stops taunting and over half of the hits get immunity frames. Seriously, fuck the three Khan fight, for that reason alone.

Anyhow, I have everything unlocked other than stage fatalities that you have to manually do, and completed all arcade endings, story, and the challenge tower. I am not sure I am confident enough to play online against the red bull fueled twitch machines that are asian fighting game fans, but maybe when PSN is back up I will give it a go. I think I am going to settle in on Jade, Sheeva, and Sindel as my focus. I think Mileena is probably the most powerful character, though.

Yep, that's the same issue I had. I mean, first of all it's fucking stupid they make it so you can't play the game like you would on EVERY other fight, you have to fight like a cheap little pussy. But it's even worse when you've been repeating the exact same patterns over and over, and he does that immunity shit and chest slams you like 6 times in a row and you insta-die. I just think there are other ways they could make the fight tough, that being said though, on normal like 85% of people should be able to beat the fight without having to spend hours doing the same dumb shit until they get lucky, in my opinion.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here's a full set list for each character from Prima. In case you didn't hear, all those special edition hard cover strategy guides that came with the kollector's edition, and all the other versions as well, are full of errors. The move sets are wrong, the fatalities are wrong, basically more is wrong than is right. Prima released a statement along the lines of "Fcuk you, we're not going to do a reprint". However, if you want free cards with all the corrections, send them an email! They also put this up on their website:

Full color downloadable cards for every character's moveset, fatality, babality, stage fatality, ect.

http://www.primagames.com/blog/2011/04/19/mkcards/

I figured several people might enjoy having access to these.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Jice Virago wrote: Anyhow, I have everything unlocked other than stage fatalities that you have to manually do, and completed all arcade endings, story, and the challenge tower. I am not sure I am confident enough to play online against the red bull fueled twitch machines that are asian fighting game fans, but maybe when PSN is back up I will give it a go. I think I am going to settle in on Jade, Sheeva, and Sindel as my focus. I think Mileena is probably the most powerful character, though.
As soon as PSN is up, ill challenge your team of Jade + Sheevs/Sindy!

Oh and thanks guide Pureweather!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

39.95 on Amazon. Think I will pick this up. No desire whatsoever for arcade TV-tray controller. I mostly played the Sega Genesis iterations with only brief time on the arcade versions. Plus, I wouldn't know where to store the behemoth.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:39.95 on Amazon. Think I will pick this up. No desire whatsoever for arcade TV-tray controller. I mostly played the Sega Genesis iterations with only brief time on the arcade versions. Plus, I wouldn't know where to store the behemoth.
In store coupon at Best Buy makes it 29.99!