Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Apple - New Phone and Tablet

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:To be clear, I wasn't saying that Android is necessarily better with regard to how it handles ad delivery in ad-supported apps. I was just saying that I won't be affected by Apple's iAds because I'm an Android user. That said, getting booted out of your app by clicking an ad isn't really a big deal in Android because it already multitasks and you can just switch back to your app. I don't use ad-supported apps when I have an alternative. I'd rather pay a few bucks through the Android market for a good app without ads - when they're available. Ads in apps like Pandora, Soccer Livescores, are text based and reasonably non-obtrusive. Yelp, facebook, and most other apps that I use frequently don't (yet) have ads.

As for iAd... Sure, if you're going to have ads, this might be better than the alternative on iPhone OS, but nothing about iAd is that magical, it's just HTML5 documents delivered by the OS on top of whatever you're currently doing. A fully compliant HTML5 browser could just as easily deliver the same "rich content" ads as what Jobs demoed, as could Flash or Java. If the iPhone had already had multitasking available, this wouldn't even be an issue. Don't buy into Jobs' marketing hype and lose sight of the fact that this isn't a fabulous new feature for users. It's awesome for 3 groups: developers, advertisers and Apple. For end users, it's just more consumer-bait that Jobs is trying to spin as a super-awesome-happy-fun-time-change-your-life feature. It's not.
Im not saying it's magical but I don't think ads, even on Android, have been presented this way. I'd actually consider clicking on a few in this format. I Understand it's HTML 5 (thanks to Jobs, Flash is finally "eventually" going to go away...no thanks to Android supporting that crap)

Anyway, Android developers can do it, but they weren't. I'm praising the concept.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hadn't found a nice stand for the iPad so I looked to improvise.

Found this little business card stand at Staples for 4.99:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Black-Wi ... rea=SEARCH

Works great after bending the bottom part up a little more. It functions as a mini stand to hold iPad in landscape view which I can't do with the charger stand. Also works in portrait mode.

Home Depot was next door so I grabbed a garden hook for $5.97:

works ok, but not as well as the simple little business card holder. Skip the garden hook, go for the card holder!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I plan on waiting for a ZooGue smartcase.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I plan on waiting for a ZooGue smartcase.
This case is looks nice. I want stand built in: $42.00

http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak

What's ZooGue look like?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Odd, I was under the impression that was the ZooGue case. Apparently, I was incorrect. Unfortunately it's going to be a bit of a wait for a proper case.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

How are your screens holding up so far? Scratches, nicks, cracks, jizz stains?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

masteen wrote:How are your screens holding up so far? Scratches, nicks, cracks, jizz stains?
The screen is very scratch resistant. Not even a hint of a scratch. Saw video of some guy that took a nail to the screen and it didn't scratch it so it must take some effort to scratch.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Think of the screen durability like that of a picture tube television set. You would have to really try in order to scratch it.

It has the anti-smudge technology that first appeared on the 3gs iphones. While it will still accumulate finger prints and smudges, a single wipe with the sleeve of your shirt makes it look like new.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This free app is a high quality note taker for iPad:

http://schoolnotespro.com/

You can find it on the top ten free apps right now at #2. It's going to be renamed Sundry Notes with next update. Worth checking out to see what the iPad can do as a note taking device.

* Write text (and change font color, size, etc.)
* Draw anywhere in your notes
* Search Wikipedia, Google, and Google Books - and grab images from them for your notes using two fingers
* Import PDFs from the internet
* Import images from your photo library
* Record sound/voice
* Change page background to graph paper, lined paper, legal paper, etc.
* You can sync your notes on the Amazon Cloud so that even if you lose your iPad, you can get your notes back
* You can share your notes using Facebook, Twitter, and Google/Picasa
* You can email your notes as a PDF to yourself or friends
* You can send notes to your computer to be printed
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Printing on the iPad:

Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Specs look good. I'm just amazed that they can double the screen resolution but not increase the actual size of the display...it's going to look awesome but I was hoping for a little larger screen physically...getting older you know!

It will be interesting to see if any lawsuits fly from Apple at Gizmodo.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:It will be interesting to see if any lawsuits fly from Apple at Gizmodo.
Oh I'm pretty sure this 'leak' was premeditated.
Apple are very good at manufacturing hype.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:It will be interesting to see if any lawsuits fly from Apple at Gizmodo.
Oh I'm pretty sure this 'leak' was premeditated.
Apple are very good at manufacturing hype.
I don't think so. The only reason they would need to do that is if the EVO from Sprint was going to be released before the next iPhone. It appears Apple will beat them to market, at least with the official announcement on June 22 so no need to leak specs to keep customers. Apple is a huge hype machine but they wouldn't purposely lose a prototype where the actual phone could potentially be sold to a competitor to dissect. I'll go with it either being lost or stolen, not leaked.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's site that converts formats to epub. It also has some books:

http://www.epubbud.com/
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Wow, the iPad is the ultimate student accessory. If you can get your textbooks in electronic format, this just replaced about 100 pounds of paper every semester, and integrated all learning media into one device.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:Wow, the iPad is the ultimate student accessory. If you can get your textbooks in electronic format, this just replaced about 100 pounds of paper every semester, and integrated all learning media into one device.
Uhhh, all students these days are pretty much required to have laptops which are a fuckton more useful and versatile than an ipad.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
masteen wrote:Wow, the iPad is the ultimate student accessory. If you can get your textbooks in electronic format, this just replaced about 100 pounds of paper every semester, and integrated all learning media into one device.
Uhhh, all students these days are pretty much required to have laptops which are a fuckton more useful and versatile than an ipad.

I would've agreed with this statement before having owned and used an iPad daily since launch. Now... Let's just say I disagree with you.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Planet Earth HD has a free episode on iTunes. Check it out. Looks really nice.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I would've agreed with this statement before having owned and used an iPad daily since launch. Now... Let's just say I disagree with you.
Since schools arelady require students to have a laptop, what compelling reason would a student waste and additional 500+ dollars on an ipad?

If you want to take notes and browse reference material and/or textbooks, you're stuck switching between indifidual apps on the no-multitasking ipad.
How the fuck is that more useful than a laptop?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I think the ipad is an awesome little gadget and I definately want to pick one up this year but I'm not deluded in thinking that it's little more than a just a consumer content delivery device.

There's some very specific coporate and educational uses for it but to think that it can adequately replace a student laptop is just kinda stupid.
In schools, they practically have to give their macbooks away. Few students can afford overpriced apple hardware.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

In case I haven't been clear, the iPad is freaking awesome. I'm completely impressed with it.

I still think the best way to describe it is as the ultimate sick day consumption device. For once a slogan, "It just works" is accurate.

I've heard people (mostly that haven't touched it) say it's only for non techy grandmas...um no. It should be pretty clear that I love me some windows PC when it comes to powerhouse computing but there's no fucking way I'd take any other portable device on the market currently over an iPad for pure enjoyment of multimedia. As with the iPhone, the apps written specifically for it will only get better month to month and year to year.

The latest app that I'm loving is "Early Edition"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQcV0B-OwI

Plug in your favorite RSS feeds and you've got yourself a customized eNewspaper that you can read all at once, or in sections. It works because it's seamless and hella fast. Highly recommended if you have an iPad. It's actively being developed. The only tedious part is adding your rss feeds as they haven't added an rss feed search feature yet.

(pics with default example feeds it comes with)

It even archives each day's news if you want for
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
http://www.quirky.com/products/30-Cloak

What's ZooGue look like?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPzB4etR4a8

The first concept is shown. It has changed a lot during this phase (for the worse IMO). I'll wait unil they reveal a final build before I bail and get something else.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Police Seize Jason Chen's Computers

Last Friday night, California's Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team entered editor Jason Chen's home without him present, seizing four computers and two servers. They did so using a warrant by Judge of Superior Court of San Mateo. According to Gaby Darbyshire, COO of Gawker Media LLC, the search warrant to remove these computers was invalid under section 1524(g) of the California Penal Code.
All because someone lost their phone. Seriously.. Fuck Apple.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Actually, how Gizmondo went about doing it, I'm not surprised by this in the least.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The only thing giz accomplished with this stunt is getting a couple million pages views and the assurance that they will never, EVER again be invited to another Apple event.

Short term gain, long term loss for them.

"So Gizmodo, How's it feel to be regurgitating Engadget's Apple coverage?"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I jailbroke my iPad last night. It was about a 3 minute process including downloading the little app. Slightly easier to do on Mac than PC but both work if you follow PC instructions (win 98 compatibility mode or somethig like that).

details:

http://modmyi.com/guides/how-to-jailbre ... ng-spirit/

(do this at your own risk)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Shit just got real. The iPad hit 1 million units sold twice as fast as the iPhone and it hasn't even been released over seas.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Shit just got real.
What the fuck does that even mean?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

shit just got real-

An expression that explains how a joking or friendly conversation suddenly took a turn for the worse and is escalating towards a hostel situation and/or a physical scuffle.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

:?:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Think he's saying that he got dumber because of his ipad?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

iPad is the ultimate luxury item for multimedia and casual gaming/surfing, etc. You may not "need" one, like people don't really need refrigerators, but once you have one, you'll be happy you do and it won't sit there and rot like a Wii.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Quick guide on getting cracked apps to work on your iPad:

After jailbreaking with Spirit mentioned above:

- add http://cydia.hackulo.us/ to Cydia sources (Will add Hackulo.us source)
- install AppSync for OS 3.2 that's located in the source you just added above
- go here: http://apptrackr.org/

filter to just iPad apps

go fucking nuts downloading apps

click and drag downloaded .ipa files into your iTunes window when the Apps window is open

sync with your iPad...done.

I tried it first with Apples's own "Pages" word processing app. Works great.

Note: Installous (install apps right from within iPad) works but is buggy and screws up icons. I'd recommend using AppSync and just drag your .ipa files into iTunes. Of course, you can drag over all of your cracked iPhone apps as well if you want.

***This post for educational purposes only*** Please buy all of your apps from miir.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
shit just got real-

An expression that explains how a joking or friendly conversation suddenly took a turn for the worse and is escalating towards a hostel situation and/or a physical scuffle.
I've never been in a hostel situation. I hear that you have to watch your bag pretty closely in Europe when you're in one of those.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Animalor wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:
shit just got real-

I've never been in a hostel situation. I hear that you have to watch your bag pretty closely in Europe when you're in one of those.
I stayed in hostel situations in Bonn, Frankfurt, and Berlin back in the early 90's. Maybe things were just safer back then as people were still getting used to having their families that were stuck in East Germany back after the wall came down.

That shit just got real on them!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Are you guys really not familiar with the phrase "shit just got real", or are you taking issue with the use of it in this context?

Just curious.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What do you think?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That was copy/pasted from urban dictionary for Miir. Those urban people can't spell very well!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Just judging by the "definition" that you copied, you weren't using the phrase right (even without hostile/hostel "mixup").

I cannot think of any time that I have actually heard that phrase uttered outside of some campy movie.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Subtlety is wasted on the stupid.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

hah, whatever. Try to play it off all you like.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Are you guys quoting Martin Lawrence or Fresh Prince?

either way.... ya'll make me sadface :(
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:Are you guys really not familiar with the phrase "shit just got real", or are you taking issue with the use of it in this context?

Just curious.

Any true American would recognize that line from the movie, Armageddon (although I'm not sure if "shit" was used..may have just been "this just got real" due to the PG rating.

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I'm pretty sure that was from that crappy cop buddy movie but I didn't really pay attention cafefully due to it's crappiness melting my brain cells
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nice! Fairweather rejoice! (if youever get a 3G model)
Data hogs, rejoice: The 3G iPad’s unlimited data plan appears to be truly unlimited. A tech blogger put AT&T’s network through a “torture test” by downloading a huge amount of data, and he faced zero obstacles.

Know Your Cell blogger Zach Epstein used an app called Download Lite to download test files to suck up a whopping 31GB of data in just two days with the iPad over AT&T’s 3G connection.

“Unlimited is obviously a word that carriers have tossed around for a long time without actually meaning unlimited,” Epstein told Wired.com. “My first thought was that if this iPad 3G data plan was actually going to be unlimited, it was something I definitely needed to publicly trial.”

Many internet users have questioned the definition of “unlimited” with regard to data usage for quite some time. In the past, Comcast advertised its broadband package as “unlimited,” but some customers reported that their service was cut off after exceeding a limit. Later, Comcast informed customers that it was imposing a 250-GB bandwidth cap to mitigate network overload.

AT&T’s smartphone plans are advertised as unlimited, and the company has not officially imposed a limit to the amount of data that can be downloaded. However, any carrier that offers an unlimited plan bakes in restrictions to its terms-of-service in regard to how data can be used. For example, with the iPhone and the iPad, users can only download files as large as 20 MB while connected to the 3G network. (The cap was previously 10 MB.) Files larger than 20 MB must be downloaded over Wi-Fi. So the definition of “unlimited” is still up for debate.

In response to Epstein’s test, an AT&T spokesman said AT&T smartphones plans are already unlimited, and the story is no different with the iPad.

AT&T offers two data plans for 3G iPad customers: $15 a month for 250 MB and $30 per month for unlimited data usage. The plans do not require commitment to a contract.

Read More http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/05/ ... z0n0LSJRYV
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Who needs a 3G iPad when you can simply tether your iPhone?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Who needs a 3G iPad when you can simply tether your iPhone?
Someone who doesn't have an iPhone?

There's some cool apps out there I'm checking out now that my iPad is leaking (er Cracked)

Best thing about the iPad though is that I really wouldn't care if it was ever jailbroken. The thing is so damn cool. I use that Air Video app you recommended a lot. Been watching Spartacus series with it (through episode 5, Im beginning to think VV has a lot of homosexual male members that like to check out banana hammocks). I also use Netflix...which I would NEVER have even thought of getting until the Netflix app popped up in iTunes...so cool.

The speed of the iPad is still what impresses me the most (and the battery length). No waiting. IPad rocks, I grab it on my way to bed at night and screw around, watch a movie or TC show on it every night. The little $5 business card holder stand is key to my enjoyment, placing it portrait or landscape on my bed. No more split lips from placing it on my chest and then falling asleep!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to netflix. I only got it as an iPad app, and now I love it and use it on both of my 360s. It's really great for kids movies! The Air Video app has converted over 200 movies for me now. It's currently finishing up the last of 22 Bond movies. After that, I'm down to my TV series. Seasons 1-10 of South Park should take awhile to encode...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to netflix. I only got it as an iPad app, and now I love it and use it on both of my 360s. It's really great for kids movies! The Air Video app has converted over 200 movies for me now. It's currently finishing up the last of 22 Bond movies. After that, I'm down to my TV series. Seasons 1-10 of South Park should take awhile to encode...

Hmm, I haven't done any encoding since I stream my entire TV and Movie collection from my server. I suppose I'll be encoding a little when I go on a trip and want some movies with me. To me, the impressive things about Air Video are the great user interface (as long as you have your movies and TV shows organized) and rock solid live stream encoding. It handles HD content with no problems, zero stutter.