Tempurpedic

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Tempurpedic

Post by Syenye »

My husband has decided he wants a Tempurpedic mattress. I wouldn't spend $3300 on a mattress (plus $500 if we want the foundation), but he has back problems, and we've spent quite a bit on MRI for him.

Does anyone have a Tempurpedic mattress, and are they worth the cost? Should we go with a cheaper foam mattress and save the money?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Tempurpedic

Post by Canelek »

I bought a mattress last month. My girlfriend and I tried the Tempurpedic ones, but I eventually settled on a really nice tempered spring-based mattress. It is made by a local company, King Komfort, I believe. There is memory foam on top, but it is pretty thin. My cost was around 1000, so that was nice.

There are several other foam-based manufacturers out there. You may want to try ComforPedic--they may have better heat dispersion than the Tempurpedic. I think Bamboo may be another foam-based mattress. I also hear great things about Sleep Number.

Really the best bet is just shop around and spend time laying on various mattresses before you lock in to one particular brand.
en kærlighed småkager
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

A few chain stores over here have deals where you can try out a mattress for 20 days or something like that and return it, no questions asked. It might be worth going with a slightly more expensive store if they give you that option - you really can't test it properly in the store.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Oh yeah, forgot about that. What Drolgin says is very common.

There must be 12 different mattress stores (multiples of the larger ones), so competition is fantastic.

Most places will match costs as well as give you the 20-30 day "trial". You would pay like a 100 dollar replacement fee and would have to make sure the mattress had no stains, etc. upon return.
en kærlighed småkager
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

A good mattress should last you 10+ years.

You're looking at an extra 25¢ each per night. :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I would definitely try it out. My brother has had tempurpedic and loves it but my dad has back problems and it made his back considerably worse.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Do they still sell waterbeds? :D
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Syenye »

Thanks for the help. They don't sell the ComforPedic around here, but I might try to hunt one down anyway. I hate being hot while I sleep. I think we'll probably try out the TempurPedic and return it if we don't like it.

Do you have to the foundation, or will it work with a platform bed?
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I looked into a temperpedic for me, but I could not justify the cost I went with a sleep number bed

http://www.selectcomfort.com/

my Sleep number is 70 most nights. ~

I got the C4 model.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:A good mattress should last you 10+ years.
If you flip\rotate them. Most of the new mattresses are "single sided" so that doesn't really work anymore.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I have a tempurpedic knock off. I couldn't justify the costs of the "name brand" one...so I bought an american made knock off. With bing cash back at the time, queen size ran me $350 total delivered. I think its 5" of mem foam (5+ lb density), then 7" of backing foam...inside the 7" layer is a few "air pocket" layers that supposedly make the mattress cooler.

Now, my thought was, this is a small enough sum, that if it doesn't cure my back problems, I can just go back to a normal spring mattress and the cost of the experience for foam wouldn't bug me too much.

Well, I still have it 18 months later, and still love the fake tempurpedic. My back problems went away.

Took about 2 weeks to get used to foam though...its wierd. Its *not* warmer, hotter, etc. I've heard that it can be, but I have not noticed it. I have a mattress liner, fitted sheet, then flat sheet on it, so perhaps the sheets keep it from being warm/hot.

Last note, and this one is *important*...this is not part of the advertisements...it is harder to fuck on these mattresses. There are no springs to aid in the act. You should know this going in to it...because if you buy a $3k bed, and can't bang on it...I would consider that a travesty of epic proportions. I'm not saying it can't be done, it takes getting used to, and positions of old need exchanged for new positions...etc...but you will sink into the mattress as a team, so to speak.

Edit: forgot to mention, I did use my old box spring, and put some thin (1/4") plywood on top of it. These mattresses require a solid backing. In other words, you could just plop it on the floor. The box spring thing is BS...just like it is with spring mattresses. If you have a fancy bed frame, you could just plop down thicker plywood and not use a box spring.
Last edited by Kluden on March 24, 2010, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I have a Sleep Number futon mattress, but it only has one number.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Also Syenye, you're northern virginia, right? (not sure why I'm thinking you are located around here) Beautyrest has a factory outlet store outside of Baltimore where you can get their top of the line junk for 1/4 the cost...some of their nicer mattresses are spring ones with 4" of mem foam on top.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Syenye »

I'm in Oklahoma.

Kluden, which knock off did you get? I'm a little hesitant to buy something that I wouldn't return, but for that price, it might be worth it, and we could stick it in the guest room if we don't like it.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Oh, you're in OK? I can't help you then.

Kidding of course. I honestly don't remember. Some place out of North Carolina (foam factory) I think. I'll see if I actually have any paperwork saved from it. In my opinion though, they are probably all pretty much the same, china, usa, wherever knock off brand. Its always a foam factory, they just glue, cut, and wrap it in that soft cotton sleeve thing, squish it, and send it to you.

I remember seeing 8 million versions on Ebay. Like THIS one.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Aabidano wrote:
miir wrote:A good mattress should last you 10+ years.
If you flip\rotate them. Most of the new mattresses are "single sided" so that doesn't really work anymore.
Not from what I hear. Mattresses are still rated at 10 years, 20 years, 25 years, etc. I think that since spring construction, foam and hybrid mattresses use much better materials than in the past.

I'll report back in 10 years or when mine goes tits up. :)
en kærlighed småkager