Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Moon

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0j_ONmV ... re=related - Trailer

Keep an eye out for this one! It's getting great reviews. Below is a review from Dark Horizons (no spoilers included). Read up and see if this is something you would enjoy. This is one of my most anticipated movies of the year.

Taking inspiration from screen giants “2001,” “Solaris,” and perhaps even “Outland” (if you squint hard enough) comes Duncan Jones’s “Moon,” a cerebral potion of killer science fiction that deftly toys with futuristic worry to construct a terrifically understated nightmare. Evocative, riveting, and ultimately contemporary in a roundabout way, “Moon” is a superb mood piece, sublimely cradled by Jones, filtered through tireless work from star Sam Rockwell.

In the future, Earth’s energy needs will be filled by Helium-3, a substance harvested through lunar rocks at an off-world facility overseen by Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) and his robot assistant Gerty (voiced by Kevin Spacey). Nearing the end of his contract with his Earth employers, Sam looks forward to rejoining his wife and daughter after years away. Out on a routine mission, Sam experiences hallucinations that end up crashing his Lunar Rover. Awakened back at the base, Sam discovers an irritable doppelganger preparing for duty, with Gerty unwilling to provide proper answers to Sam’s urgent questions.

In many ways, “Moon” is a throwback sci-fi event, invested in areas of storytelling patience and weighty psychological investigation that are rarely welcomed anymore when traveling beyond the stars. “Moon” treks cautiously, coolly attempting to manufacture a suffocating aura of brain-squeezing suspicion as Sam is overwhelmed by the revelations uncovered when he reawakens, probing deeper into his seemingly mundane existence as a lonely lunar jockey.

Employing a striking production design that merges genre standards of futureworld decoration with tight, bright white confines that encourage the confusion, “Moon” is a dazzling film to behold. Jones confidently maneuvers around the lunar locations with the help of seamless, deceptively simple special effect techniques and a contemplative screenplay that’s more concerned with building unexpected passages of tension than traditional shock routines.

“Moon” is truly a modern horror film, eschewing a tiresome slasher mentality to explore the very nature of identity and the perversion of human life through advances in science and corporate skullduggery. The film doesn't sermonize, it observes and cherry picks incoming malice, watching Sam work through his complex emotions as he confronts his reality as a crude utility.

The picture does suffer from slight “Twilight Zone” trappings that exhaust the running time, and perhaps Jones aims to achieve definitive profundity with a severity that's off-putting. Cast the little nagging bothers of the film aside and what's left is fairly wonderful stuff. “Moon” clutches the viewer firmly early on and slowly tightens the noose as Sam swims through his eroding doubt. The role is beautifully played by Rockwell, who nails every square inch of bewildered response available to Sam as he confronts his purpose. Support is handled with spooky calm by Spacey, who infuses Gerty with a chilling sense of soothing robot loyalty and procedural unease. The performance is matched by the disturbingly reassuring design of Gerty: a bulky mechanical friend with a smiley face display up front and unspecified company man programming within.

Where Sam takes his paranoia will remain behind tight spoiler doors. Rest assured that Jones is respectful to Sam’s philosophical concerns and to the needs of a satisfying cinematic conclusion. “Moon” is a clever, captivating addition to the (mentally) lost in space genre, taking audiences to the farthest reaches of the galaxy while scripting corporate horrors perhaps too close for comfort.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Re: Moon

Post by Xouqoa »

Looks neat, I will definitely see that.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I wish my dad was David Bowie.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Its on my list to see, since i saw the trailer at the Copenhagen Film Festival earlier this year.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I really like space related films (well, apart from all those terrible ones..:P) - especially given the timing, with 40 years since the first moon landings, I would just go see these regardless of whether or not it got good reviews.

(It's getting good reviews :D)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

This movie was even better than I was hoping. It was subtle, evenly paced, and layered. I can't believe this was made for 5 million.

9/10

It was fantastic.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Interesting looking film. I will be sure to check it out.

Note: I hated 2001 - Kubrick's most disappointing film IMO. I would add Eyes Wide Shut, but he died before it was completed (I think).
en kærlighed småkager
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I just saw Moon last night (had it downloaded for a while, was in a danish night film festival in spring last year, wanted to see it since then), and i can only say that along with Avatar and District 9, it is one of the best sci-fi movies in the last 10 years.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I attempted to watch this but the download was russian or french. Had a hard time finding a copy of the movie in english. Will try again.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Reminds me of an old school science fiction short story. I really enjoyed it.
[Show]
One of the first films I've seen where, when watching two Sam's on the screen, I wasn't trying to disect the 'one man does two parts on the same screen' performance. Sam Rockwell is flawless.
One thing I wondered, was the first Sam falling apart due to bad cloning? It seemed implied that they all fell apart in some way, mentally or physically, after about three years. But will that happen to the Sam that goes to Earth?
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

rhyae wrote:Reminds me of an old school science fiction short story. I really enjoyed it.
[Show]
One of the first films I've seen where, when watching two Sam's on the screen, I wasn't trying to disect the 'one man does two parts on the same screen' performance. Sam Rockwell is flawless.
One thing I wondered, was the first Sam falling apart due to bad cloning? It seemed implied that they all fell apart in some way, mentally or physically, after about three years. But will that happen to the Sam that goes to Earth?
[Show]
Yes, as shown on multiple tapes on himself, after GERTY help him log in to the computer system, all the other clones were losing hair, and being very sick, then get into the coffin and get burned. I guess the clones are made to only last three years, or the clone technology only progressed far enough to let them work for around three years, if they could last longer, it would make no economical sense to kill them before they were used up.

And i would assume that the "new" Sam clone will either die after his three years on earth, or the exposing of the company will reveal some medical procedure or info on the clones to save him, but i would call it unlikely, since the company would have saved a LOT of money by having longer living clones on the moon.
So he more or less goes to expose the company, survive his three years, as opposed to being gunned down by the clean up crew, and put a stop to the abuse of the clones coming after him.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

A fantastic movie. I wondered, given what we know of the character's future health, how it would all turn out.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Saw this last night, was a pleasant surprise. Excellent job for such a small budget. Sam Rockwell is awesome!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Watched it on Netflix the other night, thought it was pretty good!