Do to retards...

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Do to retards...

Post by Nick »

One terrible thing I've started noticing around the internet, is that a number of American's seem to be spelling the word "due" as "do" - largely because they obviously pronounce a hard D and say "do to the weather the roads are closed" or some shit.

Since its a soft D, like "jew" - Due to the weather - "jew to the weather" - seems to have become the reserve of intelligent americans and the rest of the world.

Has anyone else seen this?

I'm all for the evolution of language (as a student of linguistics, it really would be fucking retarded to call me on language fascism - if you dont believe me, bring it on...) - but this "do" thing is literally retarded. It's got fuck all to do with language evolution.

Literally you would need to be some insular redneck motherfucker not to understand how to pronounce a 3 letter word.

Due - not Do - "jew" - not do.

Anyone else seen this retard phenomena? Luckily it only seems to have infected yank forums thus far, probably because any retard who tried spouting it in Europe would get laughed off the continent.

And the only one who'd defend them would have to be a fucking moron.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Do to retards...

Post by Xatrei »

Nick wrote:One terrible thing I've started noticing around the internet, is that a number of American's seem to be spelling the word "due" as "do" - largely because they obviously pronounce a hard D and say "do to the weather the roads are closed" or some shit.

Since its a soft D, like "jew" - Due to the weather - "jew to the weather" - seems to have become the reserve of intelligent americans and the rest of the world.

I'm all for the evolution of language (as a student of linguistics, it really would be fucking retarded to call me on language fascism - if you dont believe me, bring it on...) - but this "do" thing is literally retarded. It's got fuck all to do with language evolution.

Literally you would need to be some insular redneck motherfucker not to understand how to pronounce a 3 letter word.

Anyone else seen this retard phenomena? Luckily it only seems to have infected yank forums thus far, probably because any retard who tried spouting it in Europe would get laughed off the continent.

To what is the apostrophization of "Americans" due? :mrgreen:

Misuse of homophones is a pet peeve of mine, but I wouldn't ascribe it solely to Americans. I've seen plenty of the world's English speaking denizens engage in horrific butchery of the language. You might have heard grumblings about a perceived slang "crisis" over there in the UK. Further, you can't begin to try to enforce pronunciation rules from one dialect to the other. That's the main thing that makes dialects, well, dialects. One would think that someone in the UK, where there are an obscene number of dialects and accents jammed into a comparatively tiny geographical area, might have a better appreciation of that fact. It might be "proper" to pronounce schedule "shedule" over there, but it's correct to say "skedule" here. Due/do is no different. Incidentally, should you get the urge to consult an American dictionary, you'll find that "due" is pronounced with the same "hard d" as the word "do." I know you enjoy bashing Americans in any way you can (hey, I hate this place too, so rock on), but this one is a bit of a nit picking stretch if you ask me.
Last edited by Xatrei on January 7, 2010, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

due is not pronounced "jew" you fool.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Funny, she doesn't look Jewish.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Druish!

And Nick, it is not Americans alone who butcher English, it is your generation and younger. ;) Interwebs has fuckered all your brains up. Back in the day, we used to have to climb 12 flights of stairs just to yell across the rooftops at our friends (In Yiddish).

I am still not sure how you get Jew from due.
en kærlighed småkager
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Dew you know what I am saying?

Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Most dictionaries will tell you that due may be pronounced both 'dü' OR 'dyü'.

Dew may also be pronounced both ways.

As for Jew, it's actually pronounced 'jü', which is more like do('dü') than due('dyü'). Guess that makes you an insular redneck motherfucker.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Jew to the weather? Never heard that...

Living amongst throngs of insular redneck motherfuckers I do hear 'jew' a lot though.
"Jew turn left here?"
"Jew eat yet?"
"Jew get that at the Wallmark up the screet?"
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Nick wrote: seem to be spelling the word "due" as "do" - largely because they obviously pronounce a hard D and say "do to the weather the roads are closed"
I think that was the point he was trying to make, guys.

Changes in pronunciation happens over time, and words evolve in spelling as well as in meaning, but yeah - this is stupid.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Well he is making claims about both pronunciation and spelling.

I don't have it in me to be offended either by the blatant misuse of language or the gratuitous potshots at America, because I have literally never seen someone confuse "do" and "due" before. Maybe I need to read different message boards?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

never seen it...and the only time I have heard someone pronounce something as "jew" would be if they were saying "do you"
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

I guess it vastly depends on what region you are from as to what vernacular you utilize. I happen to pronounce do, due, and dew all the exact same. That does not mean that I have not heard due pronounced like Jew with a D and likewise with dew. More so the further south I travel in America.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

This is all very ironic anyhow, coming from someone who's people put random u's in words where they absolutely don't belong and make no sense phonetically or otherwise :D
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Nick has "the luck o' the Irish" :)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:This is all very ironic anyhow, coming from someone who's people put random u's in words where they absolutely don't belong and make no sense phonetically or otherwise :D
How is that ironic?
That is the proper English spelling
American English is not proper English.
Only Americans speak/spell american English.
The rest of the world uses proper English.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote: How is that ironic?
Well we all know America is the center of the universe so... WRONG!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:This is all very ironic anyhow, coming from someone who's people put random u's in words where they absolutely don't belong and make no sense phonetically or otherwise :D
How is that ironic?
Proper?! hah. Just because it was around first does not make it "proper", nor does it make it make any damn sense.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

OK, how about this?

The vast majority of English speaking people on the planet earth, spell the word colour with a U.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Nick wrote:One terrible thing I've started noticing around the internet, is that a number of American's seem to be spelling the word "due" as "do" - largely because they obviously pronounce a hard D and say "do to the weather the roads are closed" or some shit.

Nick is kind of a pretentious douche bag. Dueche bag? Dewche bag? Or would "doche bag" be better, Funk? (No superfluous "u"!)

"seems to have become the reserve of intelligent americans and the rest of the world"

"As a student of linguistics, it really would be fucking retarded to call me on language fascism"

"Literally you would need to be some insular redneck motherfucker not to understand how to pronounce a 3 letter word."

"any retard who tried spouting it in Europe would get laughed off the continent."

You are such an insufferable prick. For the sake of clarity - I realize that "prick" has several homonyms - I was using that as a pejorative noun. We lowly Americans have experienced the phenomenon of linguistic evolution turning "do", "due" and "dew" into homophones. Something such a self-admitted student of linguistics and master of the English language as yourself surely knows about and chooses to disregard as, how-you-say, "bollocks". It's cute though how you're all for linguistic evolution, except in practice.

Yes, it's a shame that people often misspell homophones, but it's something easy to overlook when you're typing quickly. Much like how you made a typo or two in this very post, Your Highness.

Y'all (I did that on purpose. Think of it as foreshadowing for my next point...) can call yours proper English all you like, but the fact of the matter is that American English is gaining popularity as the dominant form of English. British linguistic hegemony is going the way of the colonies, so enjoy nitpicking and bitching about it while you can!

-A Fucking Moron
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

miir wrote:OK, how about this?

The vast majority of English speaking people on the planet earth, spell the word colour with a U.
Just for the sake of argument, do you know where one could find some of those statistics?

I believe that thought is probably true today, if only because of Britain's influence on India (the commonwealth has what, like less than half the population of the US?), but my gut tells me that British English isn't gaining any ground. I'd happily recant that given actual statistics.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus, I take back every bad word I've ever said about you.. For now at least.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I hope English speakers in India aren't being counted as "proper" English. They sound ridiculous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Do tue teh internet, the official spelling of teh has been change to teh.

Thank Yu.

Teh Management
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Sylvus wrote:Just for the sake of argument, do you know where one could find some of those statistics?

I believe that thought is probably true today, if only because of Britain's influence on India (the commonwealth has what, like less than half the population of the US?), but my gut tells me that British English isn't gaining any ground. I'd happily recant that given actual statistics.
I would think it to be common knowledge.
Nobody in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa (and most of South America) is being taught American English in their schools.

Even the country (Canada) that has the most American influence culturally and geographically still teaches and uses proper (not American) English.
American English is rarely used outside of the US and Central America.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A form of English that Indians and all the other people of the subcontinent are taught in schools is essentially British English. A socially-superior accent is deemed to be that of Received Pronunciation. However, even during the time of the British Raj, before the partition of Pakistan and Bangladesh, Indian English had established itself as an audibly distinct dialect of the language with its own quirks and specific phrases. Indian spellings typically follow British conventions.
Because of the growing influence of American culture in recent decades, certain elements of American slang are now used by some Indians, especially younger ones. American-English spellings are also widely prevalent in scientific and technical publications, while British-English spellings are used in other media.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Please do the needful
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Sylvus wrote:Just for the sake of argument, do you know where one could find some of those statistics?

I would think it to be common knowledge.
Nobody in Europe, Asia, Australia or Africa (and most of South America) is being taught American English in their schools.

Even the country (Canada) that has the most American influence culturally and geographically still teaches and uses proper (not American) English.
American English is rarely used outside of the US and Central America.
From my time in Japan and correspondence I've had with the people I've met there since, I can say that they most certainly did seem much closer to American English than your silly gutterspeak. Also, numbers to support this?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Do you have numbers to support your hillairous claim that Ameircan English is spoken by more people than British English?

:roll:
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Canelek wrote:Please do the needful
I hear this at least three times a week.
- Ash
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

What I find particularly amusing, is that you foriegners seem to think the old british english is somehow better. When in fact, 'American' english has proven much more suited to actual real world communication, resulting in the reversal of dominance within the english speaking nations. Had 'British' english been worth bullocks, perhaps it would have allowed them to maintain world power status, but as it happens, Not beeing able to say "DO" has led to the downfall of one of the worlds greatest powers. However, since we Americans can succesfully enunciate "DO" we have henceforth become the dominate world power that we are today.

Nick, you live in a state that is a vassal of a vassal of the United States. So when the boss says "This is how it's gonna be done now" you should just suck it up and go wit teh flo!
Sick Balls!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Do you have numbers to support your hillairous claim that Ameircan English is spoken by more people than British English?

:roll:
I never claimed that. The only thing I disputed was your comment about Asia, being as I know your claim isn't true about Japan.

However, you're almost as bad as Nick when it comes to a point you're trying to make, you always write out a bunch of stats like you got the data from somewhere but just make a comment like this when someone asks you where you got the info (see your posts in PS3 thread for examples :) )
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Noysyrump wrote: Had 'British' english been worth bullocks, perhaps it would have allowed them to maintain world power status
What do castrated cattle have to do with anything?
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

There's nothing more tasty than a Mountain Jew..
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

The majority of my friends write "colour" but I usually write "color". Whatever gets the job done quicker but still gets the point across! I have no time for extra letters.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I'm aware that language evolves/changes, and I'm all for it.

But confusing the word due, with the word do, has less to do with language evolution and more to do with people being lazy and stupid.

Love you too Sylvus!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Earth to Nick -

People are fuck all lazy communicators and can and will misspell words (ESPECIALLY homophones) on the Internet. I don't think there's a reason to start some shit over it.

Thank you.

- The Earth
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

It's still better than "How RU", "NE1", etc...
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:It's still better than "How RU", "NE1", etc...
That reminds me of the classic Californication episode where Hank gets annoyed over his current sleeping partner saying BJ, BRB, etc. Must see TV!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

are you actually being serious? how embarrassing.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Well what the fuk? none of us actually retrogress back to the stone age and go back to the old world. So how the fuk do we know how u say do-jew.
Sick Balls!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Nick wrote:

talk about embarrassing....
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

seriously, when did Nick transform from scrappy Irish lad to high and mighty aristocrat?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Nick wrote:
Only the oyrish say it jew, though at least it rhymes with due, where as "do" does not, anywhere.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:seriously, when did Nick transform from scrappy Irish lad to high and mighty aristocrat?

I know exactly when it happened. It happened after he was accepted into college and took a few courses. Research his posts before and after his college acceptance announcement!

It will end after college : )
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

miir wrote:OK, how about this?

being as i am a citizen of the continent that invented english and you are nothing but a french ingrate i think that i would know how to spull the word color and it doesn't have a u this is why the rest of the world will continue to be inferior to the united states and you pinko fucks can keep sucking our ever enlarging teets to support yourselves
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Canelek wrote:Please do the needful
PLEASE BE DOING THE NEEFUL VERY MUCH THANKS - RAJEET KULKARNI
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

sup stargi, how ya been doin?
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

pretty shitty a bunch of people i know died of cancer and i have a ruptured disc and no girlfriend
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

:(