Finally picked up a netbook

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Finally picked up a netbook

Post by Ransure »

Well, after drooling over netbooks since they first hit the market I finally jumped on board. Got the Acer 1410T (some might call it a laptop), has an 11.6" LCD, Core2 Solo proc and 2gb ram, weighing in at under 3lbs its awesome. Ive had to tweak vista on it and Ill be loading 7 when I get my hands on a copy... but this thing is great. The battery is ridiculous, 6+ hours of normal internet and online poker use. It wont run any of the games I used to play, but its perfect for work presentations and internet usage.

Anyone else got one? thoughts? tips?
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: Finally picked up a netbook

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

I love mine I got a, Toshiba NB205 -N210 - Atom 1.66 GHz - 10.1 " - 1 GB Ram - 160 GB HDD Jus to run muds and stuff while at the beach.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I bought an Acer Aspire One (the flashed-based 8Gb disk on it) last year. The HDD has shitty write speeds so it's a bad windows machine but it runs Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix like a champ.

It's almost becoming my wife's goto internet machine.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm in the market for one, but waiting until the 22nd for Windows 7.

With no cdrom, how do you reformat or add things like Word?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I'm in the market for one, but waiting until the 22nd for Windows 7.

With no cdrom, how do you reformat or add things like Word?
The last few time's I've had to reload an OS, I used a flash drive.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I recently picked up a laptop for less than the cost of a netbook (I paid $189). I switched out the latest Ubuntu for the stripped down Vista it had (but it ran the Windows 7 preview fine before I deleted it). It only has about two hours of battery life compared to more on a netbook, but it has 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM, DVD Writer, WiFi etc and a full screen. :)
- Ash
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

where did you get that Ashur?
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Fair, or you can use daemon tools, I am sure you know how to make and mount a DVD image :p

I actually turned off a bunch of stuff in Vista, deleted all the preloaded software and downloaded open office and some more lightweight programs than the Adobe/MS equivalents... this things runs like a champ.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Tyek wrote:where did you get that Ashur?
Micro Center

EDIT: http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0307967 $269 at the moment, was $189 when I picked it up.
Last edited by Ashur on October 20, 2009, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ransure wrote:Fair, or you can use daemon tools, I am sure you know how to make and mount a DVD image :p

Yeah, all of that is such an a PITA though. I don't have time for that shit anymore :P I'll just get her a lower end laptop with a CD rom drive. Her only requirement is that she doesn't want a 17" screen (which is odd because that was her only requirement for our last laptop!). So, I'm thinking a 14" or possibly even smaller should be about right. She will not be ultra portable with it so power isn't an issue. She just wants something with a smaller footprint to use around the house. We shared the last laptop but this one will be hers alone.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've been eyeing netbooks but so far haven't seen one that I like. I'm wanting one that can power through an HD movie and that has a high res screen (for it's size, maybe 1280x720)

With Windows 7 coming out officially this week, I've been checking out tablet and touch screen PCs (a shitload of them have been announced from HP, Dell, Gateway, Sony etc) all finally full HD 1920x1080 23-24" touch screens, not the lower res stuff.

Im in no rush because I really don't see the need for one as my current laptop plays HD movies although struggles with 1080p.

I've been watching which netbooks can run OSX the best as well.
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS141 ... B002LEVGMO

1366x768, ultra smooth HD video...

I loves it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ransure wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS141 ... B002LEVGMO

1366x768, ultra smooth HD video...

I loves it.
What kind of games can that play? I see it supports DX10.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
That's bad... really bad.
Performace is on par with a Radeon Mobility 9700.

Half Life 2 should be playable but it's gonna be a crapshoot to be able to play any games released in the past 5 years.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

IMO if you want to play games (mmo n such) buy a "real" laptop not a netbook heh, I got mine because of the size/price/portabilitiy/bloatfree apps etc.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Netbooks aren't really games machines. Other than solitaire maybe.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The new 2560x1440 27" iMac for $1699 looks pretty sweet:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

Watch the video (ignore the fanboism and check the hard facts)

The magic mouse looks interesting as well.

They are still insanely overpriced. The i7 version of the iMac won't be out until November but it will be probably 2499. It looks like I can use the 27" as a monitor so it wouldn't go to waste and I can always install Windows 7 on it to use a real OS.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Risking Swine Flu at the Mall and geek germs in the Apple Store, I went and checked out the new 27" iMac.

Impressions:

-The 2560x1440, 27" screen is awesome. Beautiful colors, etc.

-The magic mouse is really cool. It has no buttons but is touch sensitive although you do get a "click" when you press down. The entire top of the mouse can be used to scroll and scrolling is done very well. The two finger swiping to move back and forth in pages works well. I like the two long parallel mousepad feet. That said, the ergonomics of the mouse are, yes, worse than a PS3 controller. While trying to make it look sleek, they completely ignored comfort. It also has a low dpi and no one at the store could tell me what it was. I maxed the speed of the mouse tracking and it was still too slow for my preference. If a real company adapts the touch mouse concept into an ergonomic design, people will love it.

-the top of the IMac is hot. That's probably not surprising for an all in one device.

-When I got home, I noticed how hella fast my i7 SSD PC is and realized that I built this thing for less than the iMac which has an ancient core duo CPU in it for 1699. (i know the screen rocks and is a lot of the expense)

-Apple has nice "looking" hardware but it's overpriced to the gluteus maximus compared to what you can get building your own machine on the PC side of things.

I've been wanting to have Mac, just to have one to hack around on but they really are a waste. It's something your retarded uncle bob would use that can't comprehend better Windows driven computers.

The Apple store had to have had at least eight to ten 27" iMacs on display around the store and quantity displays of other new stuff like the new MacBook and Mac Minis. I am impressed with their ability to have stock on hand at launch and usually be able to handle orders without running out.

My decision is whether that screen is worth 1,699 because the first thing I'd do is put windows on the thing and then I'd be paying for a slow ass computer with a questionable video card and cool but slow/ergonomically horrible mouse.

Apple blows! (except for the iPhone which is my favorite thing in the whole world atm and gizmo I cant seem to live without lately. oh...and the metal keyboard...nice too.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Winnow you've got a disturbing love/hate thing going on with Apple...
- Ash