Taking a trip to Texas

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Taking a trip to Texas

Post by Fash »

Last time my company sent me to see a client, it just happened to be really close to Funk, so we got together and had a few beers at a BBQ/Blues place. Now, they're sending me to burn in the state of steers and queers... I will be in Richardson, TX near Dallas next Tuesday through Friday, and was curious if anyone was near by and wanted to meet up and get a few drinks, or punch me in the face.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Taking a trip to Texas

Post by Boogahz »

Isn't Xou still in the Dallas area?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Fash wrote:I will be in Richardson, TX near Dallas next Tuesday through Friday, and was curious if anyone was near by and wanted to meet up and get a few drinks, or punch me in the face.
The bolded portion made me laugh out loud.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Fash wrote:or punch me in the face.
:lol:
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

You know what's funny Fash? I wish I would've seen this post. I was in Dallas very briefly on Thursday and had a couple of hours to kill. Oh well. Back in Tampa now.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Xyun wrote:You know what's funny Fash? I wish I would've seen this post. I was in Dallas very briefly on Thursday and had a couple of hours to kill. Oh well. Back in Tampa now.
Are done dealing at the World Series?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Xyun wrote:You know what's funny Fash? I wish I would've seen this post. I was in Dallas very briefly on Thursday and had a couple of hours to kill. Oh well. Back in Tampa now.
Doh!

Well I had a nice trip to Texas... I like the area I was in a lot and could see living there. The group that I went down with for work, we all ate like pigs, especially at Fogo De Chao.. the work meetings were also productive.

On the way back to the airport we had some time to kill and stopped at Fry's....... It was like heaven on earth, and I didn't have any room in my suitcase to bring anything back from paradise. :(
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Oh, sorry, I just saw this too! I would have totally come and punched you in the face, too. :razz:

Fry's is pretty awesome, especially the one up in Plano/Richardson on Plano Pkwy, which is probably the one you were at.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

The only things in texas are steers and gay homosexuals LIKE XOUQOA. Or something like that, I'm really bad with sayings.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Xouqoa wrote:Oh, sorry, I just saw this too! I would have totally come and punched you in the face, too. :razz:

Fry's is pretty awesome, especially the one up in Plano/Richardson on Plano Pkwy, which is probably the one you were at.
It was the one on 635 going to the airport, so I think it was in Irving.. /shrug.. still awesome, makes my local best buy look like shit in terms of selection.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Sylvus wrote:The only things in texas are steers and gay homosexuals LIKE XOUQOA. Or something like that, I'm really bad with sayings.
the saying is just xoquoa is gay they changed it back in 07
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote: It was the one on 635 going to the airport, so I think it was in Irving.. /shrug.. still awesome, makes my local best buy look like shit in terms of selection.
It's nice having a Fry's close enough to me here that I can go there at lunch to grab the latest gizmos or roam the aisles. I never go to Best Buy unless there's a specific reason to (Fry's out of stock, sale or something)

Best Buy is the only electronics store left besides Fry's around here. CompUSA sucked as did Circuit City but it was nice to have them around for competition. I'd hate to be forced to mail order everything. Fry's is so nice for grabbing item that have high probability for defects (mice, etc)
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Spang wrote:
Are done dealing at the World Series?

I got a job in Tampa a week before I was supposed to leave. I work at Derby Lane, a dog racing track with a poker room in it. http://www.derbylanepoker.com/

There's a commercial at that link. It's weird seeing commercials for the place I work at on TV. Anyway, it's a small pay cut from my old job but it has some better perks, including lots of paid time off. You earn appx. 2.85 PTO hours/week, which gives you a week off every 3 months or a month off every year. And the pay is still more than I would be making at the world series. I feel a lot more secure in this job since they judge me on my proficiency as a poker dealer exclusively, which was not at all the case at my old job. I was one of six people that were hired out of 25 people auditioning. Out of those 6 people only 2 of us are still there.

The poker laws in Florida recently changed. Currently poker in FL is a joke. The law now only allows the maximum bet to be $5 in limit games and the maximum buy-in to be $100 in no limit games. They recently passed a law repealing those limits and allowing full blown poker in the state. This means that there will be a small explosion of the Florida poker scene in the near future, which I plan to capitalize on. I expect to see major televised poker tours to start coming through here in the next few years.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I used to live literally next door to the Derby Lane. Pelican Sound was the name of the apartment complex, IIRC.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

On an unrelated note... My brother and I met up with Vaemas on wednesday... there we no punches thrown and a good time was had by all.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:CompUSA sucked as did Circuit City but it was nice to have them around for competition.
As a chronic deal shopper, I can tell you that since Circut City went under, Best Buy has cut back on it's DVD sales by a huge margin. It's very frustrating. I wish they were still around just to give some competition :(
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Circuit City actually got bought out by some holding company. They have re opened the web site and have had a few decent deals. No clue if they are planning on opening the retail locations again though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There's a Fry's around here but I hate going to it because it's on the other side of the county from me something like 25 miles. Whereas Best Buy is a mile. So I usually stop at BB first unless I have something specific in mind to go to Fry's for. Most cases it's neither and I just order from NewEgg.

Derby Lane.. Did they ever redo Gandy like the did the Howard Franklin bridge? Been awhile since I was down that way. Hated Gandy! Although wasn't a huge fan of the HF before it was redone either. Death traps both of them!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

I used to live by the Fry's in Plano. Now I live by one in North Austin/Round Rock. Whenever I'm there, I waste at least 2 hours it seems.
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I wish I still lived near Fry's, but my rent is about half as much!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Aslanna wrote:There's a Fry's around here but I hate going to it because it's on the other side of the county from me something like 25 miles. Whereas Best Buy is a mile. So I usually stop at BB first unless I have something specific in mind to go to Fry's for. Most cases it's neither and I just order from NewEgg.

Derby Lane.. Did they ever redo Gandy like the did the Howard Franklin bridge? Been awhile since I was down that way. Hated Gandy! Although wasn't a huge fan of the HF before it was redone either. Death traps both of them!
I've only been here a couple of years and so I'm not sure how the Howard Franklin bridge was before it was redone. The traffic on it is pretty light, though admittedly, I rarely drive during rush hour. The Gandy bridge is awesome, I love it. There are three separate bridges running parallel but uneven height. One is a pedestrian/fishing bridge and the other two are one way traffic with 2 lanes each. It's cool cause you have a completely different view depending on if you're going east or west. I dunno if that's how you remember it. Also for the last 2 years they have been completely redoing Gandy on the Tampa side of the bridge. They are almost done and now there is a median with palm trees in the middle of it. Lot of new buildings over in that area too. They have also been working on I275 by downtown, I think they added an extra lane, and brick walls on the sides of the highway. The highway area around the airport is also being redone. It has a mix-master look to it now. I used to live over in Tampa on Westshore close to Gandy, but now I'm clear across town near the Don Cesar.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I wish I still lived near Fry's, but my rent is about half as much!
The Fry's in Phoenix/Tempe is located around ghetto areas. You could live within walking distance for cheap and probably make some money on the side running a crackhouse at the same time!
Cracc
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cracc »

Just dont get a tan, they might accidently lynch you down there. Atleast the conservatives will.