[Prototype]

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

[Prototype]

Post by miir »

Wow.
Best game into... ever.

Looks like Cross Edge is gonna get put on the back burner ( :( ) while I slice, dice and smash though Prototype and Red Faction.

I really hate when awesome games come out in bunches... especially when they are similar games like Red Faction, inFamous and Prototype.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: [Prototype]

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'm getting this on Saturday for sure. Some of the player reviews have been a bit mixed. Graphics seems to be the biggest complaint. Building detail is getting some grumbelings. However, the sheer amount of mayhem on screen at once, with no slowdown, seems to be making up for that. I also keep in mind that Crackdown was no beauty queen and that game was awesome as fuck. I'm also understanding that due to the insane amounts of action happening at once, it's hard to lock onto targets. That is not a deal breaker for me. I can work with that, lol. The people that love it, love it. The others are more "meh" than "I HATE IT".

I have to admit that the media review blackout is concerning to me. I do not like that tactic.

And fuck... Ghostbusters out on Tuesday. I've read 2 reviews about that so far and they've both been quite positive. I'll make a thread for this game later.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I have to admit that the media review blackout is concerning to me.
Huh?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

That's what I like to hear :) The lack of reviews frustrates me too, do game journalists think that all their hard work at E3 earned them some down time or something? Fuckin slackers.

I can't wait to get off work today and give this a shot.

I was pretty irritated yesterday cause I thought the game came out yesterday, not shipped yesterday. They really need to cut the shit with that, consumers don't_give_a_fuck when the game ships, just tell us the date it will be in stores, period.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Huh?
The last few games that have came out haven't had reviews up until like the day they came out or later.. I couldn't find a single official review from any major site yesterday, and the game is already in stores.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364524

NeoGAF is the best gaming forum I have ever seen. Look at how they layout the initial post for the game. It's an awesome format and they do it for every game.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:
miir wrote:
Huh?
The last few games that have came out haven't had reviews up until like the day they came out or later.. I couldn't find a single official review from any major site yesterday, and the game is already in stores.

The review embargo is talked about on that NeoGAF thread that I linked.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Eventhough the game style is pretty much identical to Red Faction and Prototype, inFamous didn't grab me like those 2 games.

inFamous' gameplay seems to be too polished... too many puzzles and contrived set-piece type environments and not enough mindless, visceral destruction.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Eventhough the game style is pretty much identical to Red Faction and Prototype, inFamous didn't grab me like those 2 games.

inFamous' gameplay seems to be too polished... too many puzzles and contrived set-piece type environments and not enough mindless, visceral destruction.
I like inFAMOUS a lot. I think the polish might even be part of what I like. One of the complaints I read just now about prototype is one of the things that bugs me most about sandbox games, the orbs.

In inFamous, you can click the left stick in and it will show you any orbs that are around you, making the task of finding them all at least feasible for the normal person not using a strategy guide.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Just picked this up... first non-GH/RB game I've bought for the XBOX since GTA4. Hopefully the GF lets me play it tonight, lol.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:That's what I like to hear :) The lack of reviews frustrates me too, do game journalists think that all their hard work at E3 earned them some down time or something? Fuckin slackers.
Funkmasterr wrote:The last few games that have came out haven't had reviews up until like the day they came out or later.. I couldn't find a single official review from any major site yesterday, and the game is already in stores.
I swear I'm not trying to annoy with my post however I'm honestly curious... Why do you care about reviews anyway? In the Fuel thread didn't you pretty much dismiss them:
Many of the official reviewers are jaded or partial to certain developers/genre's and pretend like they actually gave the game a fair chance but in reality they didn't and went with what their bias gut feeling was about the game.
Is it that you don't mind if they mindlessly gush over a game and give it a 10 yet when they criticize them and give low scores they just suck? I'm just trying to figure out the logic behind it all but I'm coming up empty.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I like to use them as a guideline, but that doesn't mean I always agree. It is pretty obvious when a review is too good for a game for whatever reason, or when it is too harsh because of bias against a developer or genre of game.

For example, the IGN review of Prototype is bad, but the stuff they complain about is standard fair for sandbox games and isn't something they should be faulting one game for.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I like to read whatever I can and set my expectations accordingly. I wouldn't let a review make the decision for me, but it's good to hear what people are saying positively or negatively about the game.

A European site, gamereactor I think, gave this game 2 reviewers... they scored it a 4/10 and a 5/10. They destroyed it. IGN gave it a 7.5 but if you read the breakdown, that seems like a pity score.

Everything has problems, but some can you overlook... I can't wait to play it.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

A European site, gamereactor I think, gave this game 2 reviewers... they scored it a 4/10 and a 5/10. They destroyed it. IGN gave it a 7.5 but if you read the breakdown, that seems like a pity score
IGN has 2 reviews... the PS3 review got a 8.5 while the Xbox got a 7.5
I dunno about gameractor, I don't usually go to sites that have their reviews in dutch. :)

If I'm specifically looking for reviews, I'll check sites like metacritic.
Video game reviews (and reviewers) can be wildly inconsistent and surprisingly unprofessional which is why an averaged rating tends to be more meaningful.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
A European site, gamereactor I think, gave this game 2 reviewers... they scored it a 4/10 and a 5/10. They destroyed it. IGN gave it a 7.5 but if you read the breakdown, that seems like a pity score
IGN has 2 reviews... the PS3 review got a 8.5 while the Xbox got a 7.5
I dunno about gameractor, I don't usually go to sites that have their reviews in dutch. :)

If I'm specifically looking for reviews, I'll check sites like metacritic.
Video game reviews (and reviewers) can be wildly inconsistent and surprisingly unprofessional which is why an averaged rating tends to be more meaningful.
Yeah Metacritic is generally where I keep an eye out too. I usually agree with the reviews from Game Informer but not always with them either.

There are very few games that I have been planning on getting and then decided against after reviews came out, but they do exist (Bionic Commando). There is ONE case I can think of where a game that wasn't on my radar got good reviews and now I want it (Red Faction).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I only played this for a bit last night, and on my small tv. I will have to play it more before I say for sure how I fell about it, but I liked the game.

The graphics are one of the major complaints I've read about it, but once you see the amount of action that is going on at any given time, I think most people would realize that top notch graphics wouldn't be possible while maintaining a normal frame rate.

I thought it was really cool, unlike inFamous where I have been the good guy so far, there are no moral lines in Prototype, you just fuck everybody and everything up. There actually is one achievement/trophy to beat the game by only absorbing one innocent bystander, which I can imagine would be tough.

So far, definitely glad I bought it. Only have Guitar Hero Smash Hits now on the 16th and no more console games until the end of September!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

There actually is one achievement/trophy to beat the game by only absorbing one innocent bystander, which I can imagine would be tough.
Not too tough...
absorbing != killing

My civilian casualties always seem to outnumber the total combined infected and military casualties... but I only eat civilians when my health is really low and I'm being chased by a bunch of hunters. :)

The forum trolls/reviewers complaining about the graphics are idiots.
The game looks fine... I will gladly trade in some graphical splendor in favor of smooth framerates when there's 50 pedestrians and 20 cars in an intersection.
I even read one moron who whined about how unrealistic it was that most of the cars were taxis.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
There actually is one achievement/trophy to beat the game by only absorbing one innocent bystander, which I can imagine would be tough.
Not too tough...
absorbing != killing

My civilian casualties always seem to outnumber the total combined infected and military casualties... but I only eat civilians when my health is really low and I'm being chased by a bunch of hunters. :)

The forum trolls/reviewers complaining about the graphics are idiots.
The game looks fine... I will gladly trade in some graphical splendor in favor of smooth framerates when there's 50 pedestrians and 20 cars in an intersection.
I even read one moron who whined about how unrealistic it was that most of the cars were taxis.
:lol: yeah people are idiots.

OMG IN MANHATTAN THERE AREN'T ANY TAXI'S THIS IS SUCH BS.

Yeah I think the game plays really well, and that was the goal of the developers as far as I understood. I'm happy with it :D
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Played for about 2.5 hours last night and didn't want to put it down! I think the graphics are fine, the story is meh, and the controls are pretty sloppy, but I had a great time. I died a few times in that military base with the constant flow of monsters coming in the skylights, but once I got the hang of it I did ok. Stealth consume is awesome!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Played for about 2.5 hours last night and didn't want to put it down!
Hehe yea, there's definately some issues but the bottom line is that the game is a fuckload of fun.
I had a hard time putting it down last night as well.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

this game is badass.. definitely better than infamous. have not played RF

these are two things you must do if you play this game:

- pick someone up and hurl them into the blades of a helicopter
- pick up a car and sprint with it down a sidewalk full of people while yelling "WOOOOO WOOOOO"
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Speed Bumps: Run over 500 people with one tank

That was a fun trophy.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm getting pulled in a couple of different directions with games right now. I played through the first part of Prototype and realy liked what I saw. Your character is godly powerful and I love that you can just kill everyone and anything without consequences.

For so much bitching about the graphics, I was expectig the worst, but they aren't bad by a long shot.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have had a hard time sticking to one game as well. I've been playing a lot of the 1 vs 100 on xbox too so that has been taking away from game time.

I've been playing Prototype a bit, and inFamous. I've also been playing Star Ocean (on the 3rd disc), and I just bought Cross Edge yesterday and played that for a while (awesome game). Been a few other things mixed in there too.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Fairweather Pure wrote:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364524

NeoGAF is the best gaming forum I have ever seen. Look at how they layout the initial post for the game. It's an awesome format and they do it for every game.

Holy crap - you mods need to up your game, bitches!
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I just grabbed it last night to see how it was, having fun so far. Play it on PC, and very clear that its a console port, controls are a little sloppy due to that (though after getting some of the jump and air jump upgrades it helped a bit), and the camera are doing its best to make me scream out in frustration, but it have potential.
Ill play some more the next few days and see how it goes.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Hesten wrote:I just grabbed it last night to see how it was, having fun so far. Play it on PC, and very clear that its a console port, controls are a little sloppy due to that (though after getting some of the jump and air jump upgrades it helped a bit), and the camera are doing its best to make me scream out in frustration, but it have potential.
PC controls suck, but still a really fun game. I found turning my mouse speed up a ton helped with the camera angles.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Aardor wrote:
Hesten wrote:I just grabbed it last night to see how it was, having fun so far. Play it on PC, and very clear that its a console port, controls are a little sloppy due to that (though after getting some of the jump and air jump upgrades it helped a bit), and the camera are doing its best to make me scream out in frustration, but it have potential.
PC controls suck, but still a really fun game. I found turning my mouse speed up a ton helped with the camera angles.
Thanks for the tip, ill try that later today.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Just use a gamepad.
:)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

If it's under Games for Windows and has gamepad support, you can always buy http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xb ... greceiver/ and use your wireless 360 controller with it.

The receiver itself is only 20$ and works great.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I bought a wireless 360 controller for the PC last year....
It was worth every penny.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I just finished up the [Prototype] story this evening on the PC. Wow.. What a game.

This thing was an absolute blast.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

For some reason I cannot explain (likely subliminal reminders that a sequel is in the works), I've been playing Prototype for the last week or so. This game is really, really good! The sense of movement is unmatched in any free roam game I have ever played. Your character feels... godly. After the first couple of missions, I feel truly invested in the story. I love the ability to just do whatever the fuck you want. How many powers does this game have anyway? I gain 5 and unlock another 15 for later purchase. It's crazy! Does anyone know how long this game is?

It seems that between this and infamous, most people prefer infamous. Well infamous just moved up my PS3 backlog!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I still need to finish this game, and inFamous for that matter. inFamous is more refined, but slower paced. I like them both, I just have serious issues finishing sandbox games nowadays.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

From what I remember from my time playing infamous, I really liked that too. It had better graphics, was more colorful, and had a cohesive comic book design to it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Infamous 2 is a PS3 exclusive. Sony is publishing the game, and it won't be on the Xbox 360. That doesn't mean Infamous is devoid of Xbox 360 references.

In the latest trailer, there is an in-game shop called "Red Ring Electronics", which seems to be a reference to the, ahem, infamous Red Ring of Death.
http://kotaku.com/#!5791554/is-this-ps3 ... e-xbox-360
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I guess there wont be a Prototype 3. Which kind of sucks because how will we know what happened after P2!
Although we made a substantial investment in the Prototype IP, it did not find a broad commercial audience. Radical is a very talented team of developers, however, we have explored various options for the studio, including a potential sale of the business, and have made a difficult conclusion through the consultation process that the only remaining option is a significant reduction in staff. As such, some employees will remain working for Radical Entertainment supporting other existing Activision Publishing projects, but the studio will cease development of its own games going forward.
I didn't play the first Prototype so have no comment on that but I recently finished Prototype 2 and I thought it was pretty fun. I personally liked it better than Infamous/Infamous 2. You just seem like more of a superhuman than you do in Infamous. Much easier to travel large portions of the city and none of that lame karma crap so you don't have to worry about civilians biting it in a battle you can just kick butt.

I didn't really like the cutscenes though with the flashbacky memory stuff.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I have to be around half way through Prototype 1 and cannot justify buying a sequel when I didn't finish the first one (unless it hits that magic 20$ or less number). Looks like it will land in the cheapie bin sooner rather than later. The only reason I bought inFamous 2 was because I got the collector's edition for 30$ a couple of months after release. I have a lot of open world games to play still, lol.

Shame about the studio though. I hate seeing developers close their doors.