All-inclusive trips?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

All-inclusive trips?

Post by Sylvus »

So my girlfriend and I are looking for somewhere warm to vacation in the next couple months, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on all-inclusive resorts, or resources for finding good deals on that sort of thing? It's something I've never done before and thought it might be fun.

Suggestions?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: All-inclusive trips?

Post by Tyek »

Go to Hedo and try for a threesome!!
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

If you do an all inclusive, be smart and stay on the resort.

Don't be retarded and book an all inclusive and then go out for dinner and drinks every night.

Also, there are many...I need something more specific than "somewhere warm."
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

My pants are a good travel spot this time of year if you like it warm.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Jamaica.

I stayed at The Grand Lido Negril like 8 years ago. It was amazing. All the food, booze and (Weed) you want 24/7. The service was top-notch, you likely will have an awesome view of the water, and there are several other amenities such as a sunset cruise, scuba lessons and whatnot.

They also feature music entertainment, a formal French restaurant and kickass buffets.

I highly recommend it!

http://www.superclubs.com/brand_grandli ... rt_negril/

A wedding is also included if that suits your fancy....and Hedonism II is next door if you want to find the threesome, etc, as mentioned above...
en kærlighed småkager
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

It's funny Canelek - I went to the same part of Jamaica, just with the Sandals resort there.

I can't talk highly enough about the Sandals Resort we stayed at (and I've heard fantastic things about the other ones).

No paying for drinks, no paying for meals, and you aren't allowed to tip (If someone gets caught accepting the tip they are fired on the spot - at least that's what we were told).

So literally if you don't leave the resort, you pay for nothing aside from maybe tipping the baggage handler at the airport as they don't work for the resort.

The Sandals Negril resort was the one we stayed at and it was fantastic. 7 different restaurants to choose from on that resort alone, and Sandals has MANY on Jamaica - and you can resort hop from one to the other (Between Sandals and Beaches which are owned by Sandals, they have 7 resorts on the island), and still eat / drink for free if the 7 restaurants and multiple bars aren't enough to satisfy you in Negril. The resort has a large beach that is beautiful, in addition to several pools / hot tubs with swim up bars etc.... it's awesome.

The only time we spent extra money is on the so called "excursions" (i.e. trips into the rain forest, heading to the craft fair, etc etc) - which are absolutely not necessary, but they are fun if you have the dough.

I really can't recommend the resort enough - it's a trip I would do (and will) again in a heart beat. I've never had such great service, and such a great experience anywhere I've ever been (and I've been all of the country, and to many places over seas), and they aren't working for tips! It's pretty incredible.

As far as the other Sandals resorts, I'm sure they are awesome (and I've heard great things, especially the ones they classify as a little nicer - I forget what they call them, but Negril was one of them - maybe "Signature Resorts" ? ). We have friends that have been to several of the other ones - including the Bahamas, St. Lucia, and two of the other ones on Jamaica, and they all raved about them just as much as we did.

Also, in the end, it really is quite reasonable for what you get when you consider Airfare, Room, Meals, Drinks... all included.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, I have heard great things about all of Sandals' resorts as well.

How about that busride from Montego Bay, eh? WEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeaaahhhhhh

As for tipping, it just doesn't happen "at" the resorts as part of their "worry-free" all-inclusive schtick. However, I was told that chocolate makes an excellent alternative. I had brought along a few bags of Haloween candy and gave it out. Maybe at the time it was hard to get good chocolate there... I dunno

Make sure to tip at the airport though. :)

I would love to go back at some point soon. I hear good things about the resorts in Grand Caiman, Grenada and Cancun.

Oh, and don't go wandering around outside of resort grounds....not that you need to....unless you are in a large group. It is a 3rd world country after all.
en kærlighed småkager
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I was thinking Caribbean, I think my gf wants to shoot for Cabo. I don't really care either way. It's been between -10 and 15 degrees here for like 2 weeks, so "somewhere warm" is anywhere that it'll average over 75 degrees during the day. It's not for any particular special occasion, and we're not on college spring break, so I'd like to just find the best deal I can, and take the time off accordingly. I'd like to lay by a pool, eat like a pig and drink like, well... me. If I can go snorkeling or something that'd be cool too.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Definately go Carib..

I hear Cabo is nice, but it IS still on the Baja Peninsula, which is a disgusting middenheap. ;)

Go to Jamaica, drink Red Stripe and Appleton rum, eat all day and night, etc. Good times mon!
en kærlighed småkager
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

For the love of little baby jebus, Matthew, listen good and hard for I'm about to give you a gem of advice: 86 any idea of going to Mexico. You'll find some nice resorts and whatnot, but for the money, you'll get much better service and a much prettier ambience in the Caribbean. I'm not the biggest fan of Jamaica, but if you decide to go there, I'd personally look at Ocho Rios. There's a Sandals there that I've heard is very nice. However, if it were me, I would go to the Dominican Republic. Punta Cana is absolutely gorgeous and you'll have tons of options as far as all-inclusive resorts. I don't know what your budget is but these are some of my personal favorites:

Paradisus in Punta Cana:
http://www.paradisuspalmareal.travel/

Barcelo Bavaro Palace:
http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en ... alace/Home

Excellence Punta Cana:
http://www.excellence-resorts.com/all-i ... erview.htm

If you feel more comfortable with an American chain of hotels, ala Sandals, there's also a Club Med there.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

laneela wrote: If you feel more comfortable with an American chain of hotels, ala Sandals, there's also a Club Med there.
Club med is a French corporation!

I've stayed at a Club Med and had good time. If you're not sight seeing (touring Europe or something), the all inclusive thing is the most relaxing vacation you can have. No worries, which is what I want when vacationing.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

I did an all-inclusive stay at a resort in cozumel a number of years ago.
Food, entertainment, and drinks were all included.
We barely spent any money outside of the initial money to book.
We went through Apple Travel.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Cozumel is awesome if you're a diver (or was... when I was there in 96). We opted to NOT do the all-inclusive thing (it was an option), but we WANTED to go out for every meal, but this was me and 3 guy friends who wanted to drink, dive, drink, eat, and drink.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

You should go to Kokomo. Get there fast and then take it slow.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

its not illegal to drink and dive in mexico?
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

:P
- Ash
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

As a former scuba instructor, drinking and diving is bad mmkay?

Other than that, Appleton Rum ftw.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

We didn't actually drink and dive, we want to live. But we drank a lot and dived a lot, just not at the same time/one right after the other. usually dive in the AM drink in the afternoon/early eve then get a good night's sleep (why stay up all night when you can party all day?)
- Ash
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

i suggest an all-inclusive trip

to my pants.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Considering everyone in Europe is sporting a banana-sling, you will not have to ask for directions. :P
en kærlighed småkager
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Fuck all this noise. Come to Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach, or Isla Del Sol. You'll still be inside the country, amazing beaches, pools, whatever you can find on those other islands are here on these islands as well, with the added bonus that we can hang out! haha.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Coconut Grove

Best song to get into the relaxed island mode!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Punta Cana:

Isla Del Sol:

What? Gulf Coast of Florida has its merits (it's perfect for when you want to go to a different and quite possibly crappier beach than what you're used to and want to spend no money and don't feel like driving more than 2 hours) but yeah... So not the same thing.
Laneela
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I didn't say it was the same thing. I said it has the advantage of having ME! ---->
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

A group of us went to St. Thomas and staid at the Wyndham resort there for an all inclusive thingy.

It was pretty sweet...when we got bored of the hotel, we went to their outdoor shopping crap, played a round of golf, took a couple sail ships out and went to different islands, etc.

Oh, and we met DMX at the resort. He's short.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Xyun wrote:I didn't say it was the same thing. I said it has the advantage of having ME! ---->
In that case, that's another notch under the column of the Caribbean. <3 (oh snap?)
Laneela
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

There aren't hourly donkey shows in Tampa Bay. Mexico FTW!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Not hourly, no.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

This completely depends on what you are willing to spend and what means the most to you. I have been to three different Sandal's resorts, all of which were incredibly satisfying and relaxing.

However, 'Sandals' is 'Sandals' no matter where you are in the world. This is exactly why it is so successful and why it is as equally limiting. If you can afford to stay in a comfortable place like Sandals then I would recommend it, but if you have to sacrifice learning about the culture and natural world that you have traveled to.

I have had amazing memories at Sandals resorts that will never leave my mind...I just think that if you stay within the resort itself then you might as well stay in Miami. If you are willing to spend the money to travel to an "exotic" location, then it's most satisfying and gratifying if you learn and appreciate as much as you can about that local culture and world...

If Costa Rica or Bali are places you are interested in staying then I can give you more personal suggestions.
I lived 3 years between the two, and Sandals has always been an oasis in troubled times, but if you if you never leave your Sandal's resort then you never really left America either.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

I do agree with Kev to a point. If you do go to the Carribean, I highly suggest doing some of the excursions, to get out on the island and "see" Jamaica, or wherever you decide. I wouldn't suggest wandering around there on your own, without a resort approved guide service / taxi etc... but getting in to see the Rain Forest, Sugar Cane plantations etc, is a memory you'll never forget!

Keverian FireCry wrote:This completely depends on what you are willing to spend and what means the most to you. I have been to three different Sandal's resorts, all of which were incredibly satisfying and relaxing.

However, 'Sandals' is 'Sandals' no matter where you are in the world. This is exactly why it is so successful and why it is as equally limiting. If you can afford to stay in a comfortable place like Sandals then I would recommend it, but if you have to sacrifice learning about the culture and natural world that you have traveled to.

I have had amazing memories at Sandals resorts that will never leave my mind...I just think that if you stay within the resort itself then you might as well stay in Miami. If you are willing to spend the money to travel to an "exotic" location, then it's most satisfying and gratifying if you learn and appreciate as much as you can about that local culture and world...

If Costa Rica or Bali are places you are interested in staying then I can give you more personal suggestions.
I lived 3 years between the two, and Sandals has always been an oasis in troubled times, but if you if you never leave your Sandal's resort then you never really left America either.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xyun wrote:Fuck all this noise. Come to Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach, or Isla Del Sol. You'll still be inside the country, amazing beaches, pools, whatever you can find on those other islands are here on these islands as well, with the added bonus that we can hang out! haha.
St Pete Beach was my favorite spot to walk at night. Park down by the Hurricane (not sure if it's still there) and walk up past the Don CeSar (or farther lots of times). One of the few things I actually miss about Florida is not being able to do that. However, as nice as that was not sure it would compare to something in the Caribbean!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--