left 4 dead - single player demo if you preorder on steam

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

left 4 dead - single player demo if you preorder on steam

Post by cadalano »

go gets it
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: left 4 dead - single player demo if you preorder on steam

Post by Cotto »

cant sleep, smoker will eat me, cant sleep, smoker will eat me..
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

my mistake- the demo is actually co-op multiplayer as well.

game is awesome
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

left4dead multi-player is out on Xbox Live.
Played it through a bunch last night and it is a ton of fun. More like what I had thought dead rising was going to be.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

The 2/5th of 1 of the 18 levels that you get to play in the demo is amazing. I am extremely excited for this game. Every moment is either super intense or incredibly hilarious.

Fast moving zombies scare the shit out of me.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I DLed the demo on Xbox, but have yet to give it a run through. I have too many other video game commitments at the momment, with WotlK starting at midnight, and several new Xbox games (I haven't even unwrapped GoW2), I may actually wait until launch to play it!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I DLed the demo on Xbox, but have yet to give it a run through. I have too many other video game commitments at the momment, with WotlK starting at midnight, and several new Xbox games (I haven't even unwrapped GoW2), I may actually wait until launch to play it!
As consumers, we're getting pounded by awesome games being released right now. What a great problem to have.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i'd figure you'll enjoy this game more than most people FWP. you seem to have an affection for all things horror
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

When is the release date?

I can't wait to check this out, even though I am barely in to Dead Space and haven't touched Fallout 3 yet!
en kærlighed småkager
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Canelek wrote:When is the release date?

I can't wait to check this out, even though I am barely in to Dead Space and haven't touched Fallout 3 yet!
Nov 18th
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Ah nice. Same day as the EQ2 expansion. I should quit my job so I can catch up on all the games...
en kærlighed småkager
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Anyone know if the Xbos version and the PC will be cross compatable. My mates and I have 3 on PC and 1 on Xbox, we're wondering if Steam/Xbox live play together well, if at all.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

do any games do that ?
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

The only one I am aware of was Shadowrun.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Holy shit this game is a bad-ass, pure adrenaline rush. The game is fast and furious. When the shit hits the fan, I'm emptying clips and reloading at an alraming rate. There are so many headshots in a single swarm, I loose count in the carnage. Btw, the first time I shot a car and set off the alarm I was literally thinking "awwwwwwwwww shit". Sure enough, my group got swamped by untold numbers of undead. I like how the game gave me a whole 3-4 seconds to think about the mistake I made before it was zombie central. The sound is great. You can hear them sprinting from around corners. You can see their shadows flashing along the walls. It really puts me on edge. I love it.

The game seems too short and a bit too linear, but goddamn it's still awesome as fuck.

My first play gets an easy 9/10. Left 4 Dead sparks a whole new sub genre in survival horror gaming. The teamplay aspect is fantastic, and the battles are pure frenzied win. I can't wait to play as a zombie!!!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I just picked this up today. I am a little bummed that it is not on the PS3, but oh well.

Now, I have this, Dead Space and Fallout 3, and no idea what I want to play.
en kærlighed småkager
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Holy shit this game is a bad-ass, pure adrenaline rush. The game is fast and furious. When the shit hits the fan, I'm emptying clips and reloading at an alraming rate. There are so many headshots in a single swarm, I loose count in the carnage. Btw, the first time I shot a car and set off the alarm I was literally thinking "awwwwwwwwww shit". Sure enough, my group got swamped by untold numbers of undead. I like how the game gave me a whole 3-4 seconds to think about the mistake I made before it was zombie central. The sound is great. You can hear them sprinting from around corners. You can see their shadows flashing along the walls. It really puts me on edge. I love it.

The game seems too short and a bit too linear, but goddamn it's still awesome as fuck.

My first play gets an easy 9/10. Left 4 Dead sparks a whole new sub genre in survival horror gaming. The teamplay aspect is fantastic, and the battles are pure frenzied win. I can't wait to play as a zombie!!!

I hate you...
Timmah.

Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

The end of the first level on the hardest setting is definitely one of the most difficult things I have ever played in a video game. Starting on level two today!. The mode where people get to play zombies is awesome, even if there are only 2 levels.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'm hoping to try this for the first time tonight. If there's a multi-player co-op, and anyone wants to play, look up mp72 around 6pm eastern time.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

versus is kinda frustrating as zombies. it takes a lot of teamwork to win as the infected which is pretty hard with standard nubbers. its a lot easier for the survivors to naturally work as a team because they dont have to worry about spawn times, positioning, timing, etc. if you don't care about actually winning though its a blast puking on people and such.. and holy shit is it good to be the tank :]

it definitely can be extremely challenging. i think the difficulty could be balanced out a bit better, though. they went for a model where the difficulty would be progressively harder on each chapter but i'm not sure if i agree with that. i'd prefer it to be the same difficulty all the way through.... right now anything on normal starts out retardedly easy with the last level being pretty difficult for a standard public group.. While advanced is hard at the start and nearly impossible to finish with publics. at least that is my experience. maybe i will feel differently once most people learn how to play and learn the maps, etc.. especially on the last chapter where the sieges take place.

sylvus- did you get it on steam or xbox? i'll probably be on after 6pm but i will look you up
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

cadalano wrote:sylvus- did you get it on steam or xbox? i'll probably be on after 6pm but i will look you up
Oops, I forgot to say... I went xbox. I'm guessing you went Steam?

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Sylvus wrote: If there's a multi-player co-op
That's pretty much what the game was designed for =P. I have the PC version, so I unfortunately can't play with you =(.

My Steam ID is Aardor though, if anyone wants to play.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

yeah i'm on steam
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Stopped by Blockbuster yesterday during lunch to rent this cause an insane number of people in my FR are playing this and I didn't particularly want to drop the 60$ on it.

We played through Chapter 1 and while it was a fun time, I didn't particularly feel it was 60$ fun for me. I'll most likely end up going torhou all the co-op scenarios and returning it at the end of the week.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Animalor wrote:Stopped by Blockbuster yesterday during lunch to rent this cause an insane number of people in my FR are playing this and I didn't particularly want to drop the 60$ on it.

We played through Chapter 1 and while it was a fun time, I didn't particularly feel it was 60$ fun for me. I'll most likely end up going torhou all the co-op scenarios and returning it at the end of the week.
I have it in my Gamefly queue. It's next after I send Fallout 3 or Force Unleashed back.
I really enjoyed the demo, but am skeptical about the claims of infinite replay. As far as I could all the changes in a replay is zombie and weapon positioning.
Not sure that really is a really different experience.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

There are only 4 scenerios that take about an hourish each. After you beat the game twice on hard mode (single and multi), you unlock a special game mode that is 2 levels. Of course, you can play a further (2?) levels as the zmonbies as well.

Overall, I don't see infinite play time coming from what is basically 4 levels of gaming. I have played the starting scenario twice now, and both times it was completely different due to when and where the zombies and specials spawn. My group actually lost a scenerio at the footsteps of the Hospital because we were ambushed when we came out of the manhole cover. For some reason, it's hard for me to remember that the game is different everytime :P So, from that perspective I can see it being different. Of course, who you run it with will also change the game dramatically. Combining the 2, I can easily see milking this game for a couple for a couple of months online. Will people still be playing Left 4 Dead a year from now? I see the numbers dropping way off by then. I'm sure there will be DLC for this game. It's begging for it.

It's odd to think of how many times I've run the exact same BGs in WoW and how different they can be based on the people you're playing with. Oddly, I kind of think of Left 4 Dead the same way. I forsee picking up and playing this game just to run it with different people.

It helps Left 4 Dead's case that as soon as I am done beating a level, I want to relaod and immediately play it again. I found a good group to run with last night and I could've gone through and replayed evey scenerio with those 3 people because they were so much fun. I'm sticking with my 9/10 rating. It's pure, head exploding pleasure from start to finish. When you start your mission, you will be on the edge of your seat for the next hour whether it's your first time playing or 20th.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The boat house last stand was fun as hell. On the bottom floor, we split into 2 groups of 2 and backed in to the bathroom and storage rooms in the back. Fuck the minigun up top, we let them all come into the house. We were waiting for them with our backs against the wall while in those confined rooms. Have one person kneel so the person behind them can fire without fear of hitting him. All of us had combat shotguns and took turns fireing and reloading. It was pure "up close and personal" mayhem.

I played with 2 random women last night. I've never played 360 online with a female, much less 2 at once.

This is such a great game. I'm actually playing this over WotLK when I have free time, and my Druid is suffering for it. Everyone in my guild is 80 and doing Heroics. I'm not even 74 yet! Damn you, Left 4 Dead!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

last time i did the boat house we held out on the docks for the entire siege and made sprints for the ammo in between waves. it works really well as long as you watch for smokers

the farm house has a really good room upstairs with the washer and dryer in it.. only 1 doorway in from the front and the back has 2 windows that zombies have to climb to get into. the only problem is when the tank shows up :}

mercy hospital and the airport definitely have the hardest sieges just because it seems like theres no good place to hold out
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I've had pretty good success at the airport standing on top of the fuel truck with the rest of the team down below by the turret. You're close enough to ammo to jump down and reload, and you get a good vantage point, just have to watch out for smokers. From there, you can call out which direction the next wave is coming from and people below can adjust.

Go Blue!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

There's a walkway at the airport that can only be reached by a narrow stairway and 2 plane bodies and is very well covered.
It's a bit of a run from there to the plane however it's very easily doable.

The ground around the minigun is a deathtrap. Don't even bother with that.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:The ground around the minigun is a deathtrap. Don't even bother with that.
That has been my thinking as well. The minigun may be a nice way to open the event, but as a general rule, I get as far away from the open areas they are mounted ASAP. If I can put my back against a wall, I have a much better chance of surviving. It doesn't help that the minigun has such a limited fireing arc either.

Does anyone have a favorite weapon? I'm a shotgun man myself. I've tried the others, but I always go back to the shotgun. I find it's very useful in the close quarter fighting that seems to dominate this game. Whenever I try the uzi, I feel like I'm wasting half my ammo because I cannot hit anything from any sort of distance. The M16 is better, but I still feel like I get more bang for the buck from my shotgun. 1 shot can kill lots of zombies! Many times I do my general shooting with pistols and go shotgun only when the shit hits the fan. I can quickly put a lot of shots in on a tank too, but I have to be closer than I would like!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

We tried to use the gun for a few rounds alongside strategically placed propane tanks but after 2-3 attempts we gave up on it.

The AI Director just causes them to swamp you from the rear and you just get hammered anyways.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

pump beats uzi. they perform about the same for the early stages IMO but the uzi runs out of ammo too quickly which can leave you in a bind.

as far as assault weapons go, auto shotgun is best for playing the level because the m16 runs out of ammo in no time at all.. shotgun is also much better for dealing with tanks and witches.. and its just more fun and works better in close quarters / room clearing.

for sieges, however.. i always switch to the m16. major advantage of the m16 over the shotty is when you run out of ammo you can reload back up to 50 rounds in the time it takes you to get 1 or 2 shells into an auto shotty. That doesn't matter most of the time (hence shotty is better for everything else), but when your magazine runs out and you still have 100 zombies eating your face it helps tremendously to be back up to 50 rounds in the time it takes you to melee attack once. This of course means you burn through ammo like crazy, which is almost never a problem during the siege where ammo is usually around the corner.

vulcan gun is pointless. the only thing more pointless is propane tanks.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I'm just saying what I've had success with. With everyone on my team having their backs to the tanker, and me on top watching our backs with the assault rifle and calling out incoming from behind, we didn't have the slightest bit of trouble with the zombie siege.

Go Blue!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

we'll see who is wrong and who is right when the real zombie apocalypse comes
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I hope it is soon. I am getting bored with regular work and feel like shacking up with a bikini-clad coed helicoptor pilot in a nearby Sunglasses Hut (along with some high-fashion firearms).
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

4k version of Left 4 Dead

http://www.mojang.com/notch/j4k/l4kd/
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

I'm officially addicted to this game..I borrowed it from a friend and haven't given it back. did the xmas thing tonight with my girl who's beyond awesome since she got me it for xmas. playing versus online is the best part.. nothing better than hiding on the rooftop on no mercy with a smoker and dragging the first guy that pops his head up and dragging him off the roof to his death...

best tactic for the tank is a molatov... and if you become a tank on the finale for no mercy, get them by the edge and knock them off.
Timmah.

Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

and now ill have to wait 2-4 weeks to play this again since santa brought my Xbox the RROD for christmas... so angry today..
Timmah.

Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Been playing it co-op on Steam. Even with my shitty computer it runs great. Intense game, hope it doesn't get old too quick!
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

i'm still enjoying it. I have yet to beat some of the levels on expert mode. theres so much opportunity for expansion in this game, too.. valve needs to get on it ASAP.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

cadalano wrote:i'm still enjoying it. I have yet to beat some of the levels on expert mode. theres so much opportunity for expansion in this game, too.. valve needs to get on it ASAP.
http://blip.tv/play/gpk244c0jflk (real video not a keylogger~)

Highlights (all of this stolen from someone else's thread about this):
- DLC is coming "really shortly" on PC and the 360
- Versus maps and "new stuff" coming out as well
- "what we want to do is just deliver more content you can play at this point."
- "360 at the same time as the PC"
- Have plans to continue on discussing the story, not necessarily in game.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

maps are good.. but they need to put in more gameplay modes or expand on the ones that they already have. an endless horde mode would be GNARLY
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Finally caved in and bought it. Normally i dont like that sort of games, and rarely play shooters online but the cracked version i got kept crashing, so i decided to buy it instead, just hope its worth it.
Grabbed Portal while i was at it, since i havent gotten around to playing that either :).
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

cadalano wrote:maps are good.. but they need to put in more gameplay modes or expand on the ones that they already have. an endless horde mode would be GNARLY

Can kind of do this during the finales, after the 2 waves and the 'omg rescue is here', don't board rescue vehicle!
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2162/

infected will be OP, methinks. particularly smokers
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

As long as they fix the stupid glitches with blocking the exit of the elevator and other places with dumpsters ill be happy..
Timmah.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I did the hospital mission thingie. It was ok but only reinforced to me, which wasn't needed, how much shooters suck on a console controller. I might give the PC version a try but doubt I'll play the 360 one much unless I'm super bored or something.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Really glad I didn't buy this. It's not bad mind you, but it's extremely short and I had no interest in going through it again after I'd finished it (which I think took a total of 2-3 hours). Not bad for a mindless shoot em' up, but there's much better out there.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just broke this out and played a couple of levels the other night. It's still fun. It still gets the blood pumping. The community is still busy playing, so you can get into games without a problem. This is not true with other games I've tried, like GoW1, Unreal Tournament, or Kane's Wrath.

I thought this was well worth my 60$. I would buy any DLC they make for this game, and you know a sequel is being made even as I type.