Temple of Elemental Evil ships today!

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Temple of Elemental Evil ships today!

Post by Janx »

Woooooo, made by the same guys that did fallout/arcanium I believe.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Well Tim Cain was the lead designer on all three games.

Arcanum was 10 pounds of ass in a 5 pound bag though.

However, TOEE looks really great. Graphics aren't cutting edge but I really like turn based games and there hasn't been a turn based D&D game since before windows 3.1.

The main problem I have with it is that because it's such a focussed module, your characters don't get to a very high level. I think Cain said that your guys will probably be level 8-10 by the end of it and there's no multiplayer or extra difficult mode to get to higher levels.

I don't expect it to be better than baldurs gate or icewind dale games, but the combat should be more fun since it's pure turn based.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

This was one of my favorite modules to play/run. I hope to at least check it out just to see how true to the adventure it stayed. From what I have heard, they did a good job on that.
Fattyfat
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fattyfat »

there isn't an extra difficult mode, but there is an iron man mode (which I will fully and completely try and play from day 1!) that prevents you from saving all over the place and forces you to take all your first rolls I think that includes char creation.

Also if this game does well (I encourage you to actually pay for it!) they will make a sequal involving some of the other GREAT D&D modules that have been made. That includes the giants and all that jazz!!

For quite awhile now I've been waiting for someone to do a proper remake and rehash of old d&d modules and I'm not talking NWN bullshit either. I want them to capture the feel of playing pen and paper D&D, turnbased and all. I'm tired of this hack and slash button mash that most RPGs have turned out to be as of late...
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Are they using 3rd Edition rules on ToEE? If that's the case, the whole thing would HAVE to be different to keep people from tearing through it that have any clue what to expect inside.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

gah pure turn based games fucking suuck imho
baldurs gate or knights of the old republic and EQ is as far as il go there
no real strategy in positioning etc in games like the FF series or any of that
Sartori
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Sartori »

nm!
Sartori
70 Undead Rogue, Illidan (retired 11/07)
Fattyfat
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fattyfat »

turn based d&d is the own for sure... and yes they are using the new 3.5 ruleset.. I'm not a huge fan of 3rd edition though. Class changes on the fly are homosexual and what character doesn't want 1 level of ranger for duel wield?!! I hate the system but I'll give it a chance and see what its like. I beat the original module on pen/paper using 1st-2nd edition rules so lets see how it is a third time around.

Best module I've ever played in d&d
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

in 3.5 rangers dont get all of their abilities at 1st level.
Sabek
Just Sabek
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Well there's no reason for a fighter to take a level of ranger for two weapon fighting because they get too many feats as it is, and you have to wear light armor to get the feat to activate if you take it as a ranger.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

That's exactly what I was thinking Kyoucan...rangers have to wear studded leatheror less to get that free 2 weapon fighting ability from what I remember from back in Junior High School. Now the rules changed but I played Baldurs Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights and they still said light armor if I remember correctly.

Now....most melee characters will want to get fighters weapon specialization...so like beserker or ranger and such, I can understand them multi-classing to whatever level you need to get that? 5th level fighter maybe? And then go solely to like beserker for the HP bonus. That's what I did in NWN.
-retired-
Fattyfat
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fattyfat »

rog/rng was probably what i was thinking. I'm glad that you need 2 rang lvls to get the 2weapon shit now though! amen
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Well you've always needed 1 level of ranger for free two weapon fighting and 7 levels of ranger for free improved two weapon fighting. But if you took 2 levels of fighter you would have 2 extra feats that the ranger would not have gotten anyway (and if you took 7 levels of ranger then you would miss out on 4 feats). So I don't think there was ever a logical reason to take a level of ranger just for the free feats. Even with the free feats rangers get for being rangers, you still get more feats as a fighter (who gets a feat every level instead of every 3-4).

I only remember this because I made a ranger for the free feats in some D&D computer game I played with my ex boyfriend and he took a fighter. By the time we were like level 10 he had all the feats I got for free anyway and a bunch of extra feats just because he got to pick more than me.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Feats and such (essentially playing to the Min/Max crowd) are whyI stopped. That is all that 3rd Edition was, and yes I DID try running/playing with it.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

In the case of rogue I could see one level of ranger maybe in the past. And I can see classes wanting the fighters weapon specialization.

But fighters taking a level of ranger was kind of wierd.
-retired-
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

Rangers still suck imo. There is no real reason not to just play a fighter and use your 397820809 free feats to get everything the ranger gets and more. All you miss out on is weako druid spells much later in life and some favored enemys. Ill take free feats, a better to hit bonus, hit points, armor choice etc...

p.s. bards are still ass too.
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Rangers get cool shit in the PnP I heard, stuff that doesnt translate well to videogames. Like tracking and animal companions. I don't play dungeons and dragons from the books though so I havent the foggiest what they get that's so great.

They also get the same attack bonus as fighters, only fighters can take weapon mastery for extra damage.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Rangers get the summon animal companion ability in NWN. I don't see why they wouldn't in this game...
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Yeah but it was pretty shitty in NWN. It just hit for like 2 damage every once in awhile and then died horrifically.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Is this game as buggy as rumor says?
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Janx »

No Drolgin. I've been spending a LOT of time with it. Theres some bugs but nothing mindblowing.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Cool. Was going to buy it for the cafe I work at, but having to spend 45 minutes troubleshooting for each customer who wants to play the game isn't my idea of fun! Will take a look at it.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Fattyfat
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fattyfat »

I completely love this game. The combat is the best thing I've seen since the oldschool GoldBox games. I prefer turn based action over BG/BG2 style any day and I can't stand how NWN did combat at all. ToEE does an amazing job in combat situations. Everything has that strategy element to it. It might also help that I'm playing the game on ironman mode... almost got owned once but pulled it out with a last minute critical before my fighter was ingested by a behemoth 100hp frog, with all sorts of shit coming after us... was intense. The last major battle I had lasted 45 minutes and it was like a 25 vs 7 fight... man it was great.

It has some minor bugs that people are getting pissy over on the atari forums. Personally I've run across nothing that has even bothered me in the least bit. I haven't had a single crash to desktop or game stopper. But not everyone plays like I do, so I'm sure there are some things in the game that might cause it to be jacked up. I'm sure they will release a patch soon to address the issues.

I recommend the game if you have a small tolerance for bugs and stuff, if you don't wait for the patch or dnload it.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

kyoukan wrote:Yeah but it was pretty shitty in NWN. It just hit for like 2 damage every once in awhile and then died horrifically.
As long as I got in before my kitty, I never had too much pet splatter. I usually started off with my bow, so the monsters were always all over me.

I'm totally looking forward to this game, gonna get it ASAP.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Rangers are supposed to get companions in this one, but not till 4th level I think.

Also the companions in this use the new 3.5 companion rules, which includes your pet "leveling" when you do.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Fattyfat
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fattyfat »

Sabek wrote:Rangers are supposed to get companions in this one, but not till 4th level I think.

Also the companions in this use the new 3.5 companion rules, which includes your pet "leveling" when you do.
be aware, there is a bug. Rangers don't get pets until 5th, although rules state 4th.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

This require the CD in the drive to play it, like most games nowadays? My roommate just ordered it, wondering if I'll need to wait until he's done with it or find a crack.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

You need the CD in the drive to start, and I assume you need it there the whole time.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Janx »

The demons in this game are bad ASS. Try fighting a balor that uses all of its D&D abilities (unlike NWN) Balors/Vrocks that gate in quiasts , and use all of their spell like abilities. They arent the pussys you find in NWN.

The vrock wasnt too bad. the Hazrou(sp) took me around 10 trys. The balor and galebzru(sp)..ug.

I'd put this game up there with the gold box games. If theres patches that fix the bugs i'd put it ABOVE the old gold box games. Its truely outstanding.

The models/skinning and animations need to be seen.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Janx »

Welp, just beat it. All I'm gonna say is fuck the damn balrog. easily the hardest fight in the game (unlike the push over balrogs in NWN, this guy beat much, much ass.).
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

This doesn't sound like the ToEE I ran...Anyone ever run/play the module that has some input on how close to it they stayed?
Fattyfat
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fattyfat »

it has everything that was in the original module, and has some added stuff.

I own the original.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Temple of Elemental Evil ships today!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Does anyone have this?

I only have the play disc still and every torrent I find is screwed up
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I have it. I've bought it twice since I lost a disk and later saw it in the bargain bin.
- Ash
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

I have it too, although I'd need directions on how to get a copy to you.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Found it out in the garage... what a buggy game! Fun though
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson