Courthouse Blues

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Courthouse Blues

Post by Xyun »

It all started when I missed my turn. On August 29th at about 1:30 pm, I missed a left turn that would have put me on I-275 southbound from downtown Tampa. I remember the day and time exactly because I had a friend in town visiting and we were sight seeing, and the result of a missed turn was an unwanted circular tour of downtown Tampa. The tour ended when my light turned green and I turned left and failed to see the red light immediately thereafter. I ran the red light and my big Lincoln was t-boned by a little Toyota. Their airbags deployed and their car was totalled, but they were fine. My insurance is going to cover all or most of it. My car was fine, I was able to start it back up and drive it. On that day I received a ticket for failing to stop on red. I had 30 days to pay the ticket.

Yesterday, on my way to work, I passed a cop and remembered the ticket. "Oh shit" I thought, because I realized it had been past 30 days by a day or two. So I decided to go to the courthouse and pay that ticket today. I also decided to drive my motorcycle since the weather was nice and the gas mileage is so much better. I leave the house at 3:30 for a 40 minute drive to the courthouse and about 15 minutes into it I realize I left the actual ticket at home. I turn around and grab it and leave my house again at 4 pm. The court house closes at 5 so I should get there with 20 minutes to spare.

On my way I run into traffic on a huge bridge connecting St. Pete to Tampa, and this traffic was heavy traffic that was miles long. I decide to take the "motorcycle lane" which most people refer to as the shoulder, so I can make it to court before they close. I passed about 3 miles of cars before I was finally pulled over by a motorcycle cop who was very pissed off at me. He was intent on taking me to jail and I had to beg the guy not to. The problem was not only that I was driving on the shoulder, but that I didn't have a motorcycle license. So after he cooled down he issued me 3 tickets and a court date. He made me wait for him to leave and told me it was illegal for me to get back on the bike and drive it, and I was responsible for getting home.

Fine. I fucked up and got another $400 in tickets on top of the $200 one I already have, and now it's too late to pay it so I'll just go home. I get on my bike and ... it won't start. It's an 8 year old bike so it's got problems, but never had this problem. I call my brother to find me the nearest bike shop to have it towed. So they come to pick me up but not before I had to roll my heavy ass bike a couple of miles off of the bridge to a location where the tow truck could get me. They took me to their shop in Ybor and I had a friend come pick me up and take me home from there. After that, I barely made it to the gym but had to cut my work out short.

So there you have it. The shittiest day I've had this year. But it's over and I'm back to my happy self again. I'm very glad I talked my way out of jail, that would've really sucked. But man, do I wish I never would've missed that turn that day!
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Courthouse Blues

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I got clocked doing 72 in a 55 last night after midnight. By the time the cop got to my window, I had all my info in my hand and was just waiting on him. I admitted I was speeding but I just left work at the hospital to go get my wife who was in labor with our second child. He handed me all my stuff back and wished me luck.

She wasn't in labor. It was just quick thinking becasue it was on my mind.

I honestly feel bad for lieing to him :(
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

That sucks about your tickets/bike. What kind of bike is it?
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I'm guessing the Causeway is where you encountered traffic, especially due to all the construction right now on the Tampa side. It blows.

On the other hand, as a motorcycle rider myself I can't stand riders that think road laws don't apply to them or that (not that I'm saying you were) ride like asshats. And not having a license on top of that? Sorry, you deserved the tickets. You really should have gotten your m/c license before.. now I believe you've got to take the m/c safety class to get it and those are (a) booked up solid since the law change and (b) somewhat expensive.

As for the bike breaking down, that really sucks. Especially if you were in fact on the causeway in the construction area. And as for those turn on green into a red light in Tampa, that happened to me also. Asshats that design those should set them so that both lights are green at the same time. Tampa cops aren't the most forgiving either.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I want to feel bad for you but.. WAIT, no I don't :P

Every time I see a motorcycle rider driving down the shoulder or on the line between lanes, I think about swerving or opening my door. I'd never do it of course, but it drives me nuts that part of the people that drive them like assholes like this royally fuck insurance coverage prices for the rest of us.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Funkmasterr wrote:I want to feel bad for you but.. WAIT, no I don't :P

Every time I see a motorcycle rider driving down the shoulder or on the line between lanes, I think about swerving or opening my door. I'd never do it of course, but it drives me nuts that part of the people that drive them like assholes like this royally fuck insurance coverage prices for the rest of us.
It's perfectly legal in some states to lane split on a motorcycle.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Truant wrote:

That's nucking futs. There is no goddamn way I would ever do it on a motorcycle.. People don't pay anywhere near enough attention to make that safe.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Truant wrote:

Not in all states!

I used to live in north Austin and had to pass a section of MoPac which narrowed by one lane before a major exit. People would always drive on the shoulder to speed past the "good" drivers that were staying within the lanes even though they needed that exit also. One day there were 10+ Motorcycle and Cruiser officers waiting near the exit to bust EVERY one of the drivers who did that. They came back every other day for a couple weeks, and I always saw more people stopped than there were officers. It was great!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I think that's why he said some states.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:I think that's why he said some states.
It's a good thing we had you here to point that out.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Spang wrote:I think that's why he said some states.
Link? Or are you just making shit up again as usual?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Right here.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

roflcopter
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I was talking about motorcycles for one thing, not cars.
I also said lane split, not drive on the shoulder. Although I've seen some places where the shoulder is legally an additional lane during high traffic times.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Truant wrote:I was talking about motorcycles for one thing, not cars.
I also said lane split, not drive on the shoulder. Although I've seen some places where the shoulder is legally an additional lane during high traffic times.
Don't mind Boog. He was apparently channeling Palin there.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Turns out the reason the bike wouldn't start was because I let the high beam drain the battery while the cop was giving me shit. It had to have been more than a half hour or so. But the worst part is that I could've kick started the bike in 2nd gear when rolling it downhill that day had I known.

I've heard of states that allow lane splitting also.

As far as insurance prices go, well in Florida insurance is not mandatory on motorcycles, ironically neither is a helmet.

Siji I was on the Howard Franklin heading north, I got pulled over just before the Westshore/Airport exit and had to push my bike to the Lois exit, a good portion of which was downhill. It was funny because I was passing cars again as I rolled down the hill after getting a ticket for doing exactly that.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Truant wrote:I was talking about motorcycles for one thing, not cars.
I knew you were talking about lane splitting and motorcycles. That is why I separated my second comment about cars and the shoulder (which is where Xyun stated he was). See the connections? :D
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

As a motorcycle rider myself, I gotta say it was pretty freaking stupid to knowingly break the law while not having a license. Here in Wisconsin, you can go get your permit and drive on that for two years if you are too lazy to get the test itself done. I hate being pulled over more than the next guy but the motorcycle is a dangerous ride. Not because of the rider but because of the clueless car drivers yapping on their cell phones. You can look them right int eh eye and they won't see you. There isn't much room for error on a motorcycle.

Got get a permit (usually a basic written test) and then you won't have to worry about that for a couple years. If the bike wasn't in your name then you might be able to throw yourself on the mercy of the court and say you were just test driving it.
Deward