Does Palin win the VP debate if...

What do you think about the world?

Does Palin win the debate if she manages not to curse, throw up, or fall down?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes: 38

Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Does Palin win the VP debate if...

Post by Xyun »

I mean this woman is so stupid that even I feel the urge to defend her from these judgmental bastards! So the bar is set at knee level for this debate. I have a feeling no matter what comes out of her mouth, right wingers will gallantly rush to her defense. Then will she be judged as competent to be president just by showing up to the debate?
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Does Palin win the VP debate if...

Post by Canelek »

Redemption! Woohoo!

Signed,

Dan Quayle
en kærlighed småkager
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

This debate is going to be so painful to watch.

I'm desensitized to the fact that Palin is attractive. She's gonna have to come out with a sex tape or something.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Dems think we have it in the bag but I'm not inclined to believe that. I think we'd be better off not having the debate at all. As it is, people on both sides know who the better VP pick is. This debate is Palin's to lose. All she has to do is not be a complete idiot and she's won it. Biden is going to have to be much more careful, else he'll come off sounding like a condescending, sexist, yaddy ya. I've never been so excited for a VP debate in my life. In fact, I don't know that I've ever willingly watched one.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

This is a pretty defeatist way of looking at the debate. Don't underestimate Palin's utter idiocy. It is worth having this debate, more than worth it.

Biden has nothing to worry about.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Nick wrote:This is a pretty defeatist way of looking at the debate. Don't underestimate Palin's utter idiocy. It is worth having this debate, more than worth it.

I don't know...Bush got elected twice, and Palin's only on the ticket as Vice President.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'd give her the win straight out the gate if she did it topless.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Nick wrote:This is a pretty defeatist way of looking at the debate. Don't underestimate Palin's utter idiocy. It is worth having this debate, more than worth it.

I don't know that I'm being a defeatist. I'm just telling you how I think people will perceive it. As far as I'm concerned nothing Biden could say or do would lose him this debate. Unfortunately, expectations of Palin have been set so low that if she forms coherent sentences, it'll be such an improvement to the last couple of interviews that it'll seem a victory.
Laneela
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

laneela wrote:

I don't know that I'm being a defeatist. I'm just telling you how I think people will perceive it. As far as I'm concerned nothing Biden could say or do would lose him this debate. Unfortunately, expectations of Palin have been set so low that if she forms coherent sentences, it'll be such an improvement to the last couple of interviews that it'll seem a victory.
Not to mention that Biden has a history of having to retract "insensitive" statements. That is one of the things that made me uncomfortable with him being on the ticket in the beginning.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Palin's going to do much better than most of you think.

Biden's going to come off as an ass if he starts ranting and raving. Palin won't play victim but she will be perceived as one depending on Biden. No win situation for democrats.

Even after you libs start tearing into her responses...it won't matter if she says the sky is green if asked, she'll still help the Republicans.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:Palin's going to do much better than most of you think.
No. No she's not. She is going to write this weekend's Saturday Night Live.

Palin is lose/lose for the country.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:Biden's going to come off as an ass if he starts ranting and raving.
Like McCain did in the first debate?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote: Palin is lose/lose for the country.
Don't make the mistake of considering what's best for the country. That's what you liberals do all the time and lose elections. She'll do well in the eyes of the people that aren't balls out already for Obama.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I think it ends up being less interesting and consequential than we imagine. The candidates don't get much chance to interact, Biden will shut up and fade into the background and generally seem like a smart white guy afterthought. Palin will talk in platitudes, deliver rehearsed anecdotes and personal stories, and avoid delving into in-depth policy discussion at all costs. When it's over, we'll be exactly where we were before it began.

Winnow, there aren't a whole lot of people who haven't made up their minds and are going to be swayed by the VP debate. Obama has won the election unless there's a game-changing surprise between now and November. Sarah Palin's debate performance will not be it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote: Winnow, there aren't a whole lot of people who haven't made up their minds and are going to be swayed by the VP debate. Obama has won the election unless there's a game-changing surprise between now and November. Sarah Palin's debate performance will not be it.

I don't disagree with that. Democrats better win this presidential election or they may ever win another one. This should have been a cakewalk.

Game changing surprises definitely work in the Republican's favor though. Maybe Putin will do something stupid.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

It is a cakewalk dude.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Obama win percentage: 85.4
Average electoral vote projection margin: 336-202

This is not currently a close election campaign.

Also, when everyone talks about all the advantages Obama has, remember this: HE'S BLACK. He's black he's black he's black he's black. And he's STILL kicking McCain's ass.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sueven wrote:It is a cakewalk dude.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Obama win percentage: 85.4
Average electoral vote projection margin: 336-202

This is not currently a close election campaign.

Also, when everyone talks about all the advantages Obama has, remember this: HE'S BLACK. He's black he's black he's black he's black. And he's STILL kicking McCain's ass.

Got any non partisan stats?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Specifically which parts of his methodology do you object to as partisan?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Sueven wrote:Specifically which parts of his methodology do you object to as partisan?
It doesn't support what he thinks is actually happening.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

My prediction:

Whoever talks the least, wins.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Palin can also see Canada from her bedroom! As a canuck, I'd be wanting Palin in the White House with her first hand knowledge of cold climates. She's the only one that can relate to having to live above the 49th parallel.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Rasmussen good enough for you?

Gallup?

What exactly is wrong with 538? You are aware its used all the time along with other such polls to gauge reaction?

Or is it just because you don't like what you see?
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Palin can't handle an interview with Katie Couric...hwo the hell is she going to handle a debate? Couric wasn't even asking her that tough of questions and she stumbled over most of them. I hope the debate doesn't ask what her last book was.

Biden did very well during the democratic debates. His off the cuff remarks were made outside of the debate format. He won't have any trouble handling Palin. The only people that are going to view him as a bully are those people who are already voting for McPain.
Deward
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

You can be assured that Palin has been non-stop coached since that interview. She'll do better at the debate than we're expecting I think. Not great mind you, but she's probably been coached in a dozen different ways to try to make Biden look like he's against women, against babies and against guns.. true or not.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Well the gun issue would fall flat on its face? Isn't Biden a gun owner?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Oh, I doubt we will see much debate over guns, at least this early.
en kærlighed småkager
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Deward wrote:Palin can't handle an interview with Katie Couric...hwo the hell is she going to handle a debate? Couric wasn't even asking her that tough of questions and she stumbled over most of them. I hope the debate doesn't ask what her last book was.
I know the answer to that. Bush lend her "My Pet Goat" :D
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Deward wrote:Palin can't handle an interview with Katie Couric...hwo the hell is she going to handle a debate? Couric wasn't even asking her that tough of questions and she stumbled over most of them. I hope the debate doesn't ask what her last book was.
Whatever! That Couric interview was nothing more than "gotcha journalism" and you know it. And Palin reads a lot of books. She's read all of them, any of them that have been in front of her all these years.
Laneela
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Canelek wrote:Oh, I doubt we will see much debate over guns, at least this early.
I am predicting this will be a late October issue as a final push to elminate Nobama. The NRA has been pretty quiet publicly so far....but with a shitheel like Nobama having publicly stated his views about wanting to ban personal ownership of most types of firearms and institute a national police force, I would expect a bloodbath (politically speaking of course).
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
Canelek wrote:Oh, I doubt we will see much debate over guns, at least this early.
I am predicting this will be a late October issue as a final push to elminate Nobama. The NRA has been pretty quiet publicly so far....but with a shitheel like Nobama having publicly stated his views about wanting to ban personal ownership of most types of firearms and institute a national police force, I would expect a bloodbath (politically speaking of course).
I think it's because even the gun nuts are starting to realize there are worse alternatives than someone in the White House who does not like guns. After all, what good is having a gun if you can't afford bullets to put in them?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote: I think it's because even the gun nuts are starting to realize there are worse alternatives than someone in the White House who does not like guns. After all, what good is having a gun if you can't afford bullets to put in them?
You could club someone with it or fake like there's a bullet! Is a burglar going to risk his life based on their analysis of the economy, concluding that the owner of weapon has a gun but no ammo? Maybe we'll have more burglars with financial backgrounds considering all the layoffs.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Obama is not going to take our guns.

That whole thing is more of a talking point to rally gun owners against him.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:Obama is not going to take our guns.

I'd say the same thing about McCain/Palin and abortion. It will never happen, yet a good number of the people that are actually able to articulate a reason to me that they don't like them mention that as one of their few points.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:

I'd say the same thing about McCain/Palin and abortion. It will never happen, yet a good number of the people that are actually able to articulate a reason to me that they don't like them mention that as one of their few points.
With them able to appoint jesus-freak judges to the Supreme Court what makes you think it will (could) never happen? At the moment Roe v Wade is probably holding on by a vote or two. If it gets any more conservative I'm sure that would more than tip the balance in favor of it being overturned.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I agree for the most part (re: guns/abortion). However, that particular topic, as well as many others are enough for me to "fundamentally" disagree with McCain/Palin.

(that fundamental topic was particularly amusing in the last debate)
en kærlighed småkager
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Asslana wrote:With them able to appoint jesus-freak judges to the Supreme Court what makes you think it will (could) never happen? At the moment Roe v Wade is probably holding on by a vote or two. If it gets any more conservative I'm sure that would more than tip the balance in favor of it being overturned.
Take that argument, apply it to guns.... omg!!!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fash wrote:
Asslana wrote:With them able to appoint jesus-freak judges to the Supreme Court what makes you think it will (could) never happen? At the moment Roe v Wade is probably holding on by a vote or two. If it gets any more conservative I'm sure that would more than tip the balance in favor of it being overturned.
Take that argument, apply it to guns.... omg!!!
... and find that it doesn't apply? Got it. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

With them able to appoint jesus-freak judges to the Supreme Court what makes you think it will (could) never happen? At the moment Roe v Wade is probably holding on by a vote or two. If it gets any more conservative I'm sure that would more than tip the balance in favor of it being overturned.
I just don't see it as something that will ever happen. I'd guess there are quite a few more politicians (Republican and Democrat) that oppose the idea than support it. It's something that would get the majority of people pissed at them and I just don't think they'd do it.

I could also pose that same question back at you about the guns thing, though. It most certainly does apply, Aslanna.. You're talking about a right that would have to be taken away by a judge appointed by the president in either case. Yes, I realize the issues aren't exactly comparable, but the situation is.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Let me clarify a bit on the abortion bit...

This pretty much goes hand in hand with stem cell research. Although the chances of R v W getting overturned are low within 4 years. How about funding for stem cell research? Is it worth it to ignore this science and leave policy in the hands of people who are morally opposed?
en kærlighed småkager
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

Don't make the mistake of considering what's best for the country. That's what you liberals do all the time and lose elections. She'll do well in the eyes of the people that aren't balls out already for Obama.
For some reason this statement struck me as ludicrous. maybe winnow was just cracking a joke (I can't tell when you're serious or acting snarky sometimes.)

That being said, the idiots who voted for Bush are the ones that should not make the mistake of considering what's best for the country. Look where it got us; 2 seemingly never ending wars, economic meltdown, erosion of civil rights, era of zero accountability, opaque government, gimmick politics.

If anyone should be gloating right now, it's the Gore/Kerry voter who can say with the utmost confidence "I told you so."
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Considering both Gore and Kerry are assclowns...

They still would have done better than W, imo.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:Let me clarify a bit on the abortion bit...

This pretty much goes hand in hand with stem cell research. Although the chances of R v W getting overturned are low within 4 years. How about funding for stem cell research? Is it worth it to ignore this science and leave policy in the hands of people who are morally opposed?
I think the big problem with stem cell research, is that much like abortion, there is a lot of grey area on stances. I think that is what holds these things up, moreso than the people who are 100% for or against it.

I'm fine with stem cell research as long as it isn't fetal. I don't have a long drawn out reason to give you as to why, it just doesn't sit right with me, much like cloning doesn't sit right with me either.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

The difference between guns and abortion when it comes to the supreme court is that the former is guaranteed by the constitution while the latter is merely a court case decision from the 70's that could easily be overturned. Obama is not a serious threat to gun rights, while McCain is a serious threat to abortion rights. For this reason alone, Obama's lead among women will be so overwhelming that there is simply no way McCain can overcome it, despite the Palin factor.

Also, Winnow, I'm curious exactly what it is about 538's methodology you disagree with. I will freely admit that the blogging on the site has a slight liberal bias, but the statistics do not unless like Stephen Colbert, you believe truth has a liberal bias.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xyun wrote:The difference between guns and abortion when it comes to the supreme court is that the former is guaranteed by the constitution while the latter is merely a court case decision from the 70's that could easily be overturned. Obama is not a serious threat to gun rights, while McCain is a serious threat to abortion rights. For this reason alone, Obama's lead among women will be so overwhelming that there is simply no way McCain can overcome it, despite the Palin factor.

Also, Winnow, I'm curious exactly what it is about 538's methodology you disagree with. I will freely admit that the blogging on the site has a slight liberal bias, but the statistics do not.
True, however that doesn't change the fact that all it will take to get rid of either of them is a judge. I just think these are all the panic issues that people care about, and seem to think there is a chance of anything actually happening, but it just won't.

While they do care about it, I'm sure, the abortion issue and the stance the republicans state publicly seems to me to probably be more to keep the bible belt on their side.

I could be wrong, I'm just not real worried that the way any of these issues are handled is going to change anytime soon.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote: True, however that doesn't change the fact that all it will take to get rid of either of them is a judge.
Perhaps you need to go read what's required to amend the consititution, then shut the fuck up.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

http://www.236.com/news/2008/10/01/deba ... 1_9211.php

Scroll down to the slideshow. It's really a riot. Biden seems like an overzealous quarterback.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: True, however that doesn't change the fact that all it will take to get rid of either of them is a judge.
Perhaps you need to go read what's required to amend the consititution, then shut the fuck up.
Yeah I kicked myself for saying that right after I posted it and got too busy this afternoon to come back and correct myself.

Either way, my point is still relevant. Worrying about either of those issues seeing any big changes anytime soon is retarded.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Speaking of fetus-chuckers like Palin, I need to re-read Insomnia (Stephen King). Good shit! :)
en kærlighed småkager
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Funk wrote:Worrying about either of those issues seeing any big changes anytime soon is retarded.
This is really just not true.

The right to an abortion is guaranteed by virtue of Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. We already know that two justices-- Scalia and Thomas-- think that those decisions are wrong and are eager to overturn them. It's assumed, almost certainly correctly, that Alito and Roberts agree. The other five justices are in support of abortion rights.

Neither the President nor the Congress have any say in what cases the Supreme Court hears. The Supreme Court hears cases appealed from lower courts based on any four justices voting to accept the case. Pro-life advocates have never had any trouble finding a compliant state to pass abortion restrictions in order to force a Supreme Court decision. This has happened in South Dakota, Nebraska and Pennsylvania, and I'm probably forgetting some. Once a state passes abortion restrictions, those restrictions have to be challenged in court in order to be overturned. Once they're challenged in court, they're on their way to the Supreme Court, and nobody can do anything about it so long as four justices want to hear the case.

What this means is that if another justice is appointed to the court who wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, the case will without a doubt be overturned. Some state will pass a restriction, someone will challenge it in court, it'll wind it's way up through the appeals process, and four justices, knowing that they have a majority, will decide to hear the case. If another pro-life justice winds up on the court, Roe v. Wade is gone. Period.

The next president will almost certainly get to replace Ginsburg and Stevens. McCain has promised to appoint "strict constructionists" (code for "opposed to Roe v. Wade"). Therefore, if he is president, Roe v. Wade is very likely to fall. I'd say the odds are about 75%.

You're absolutely right that Congress would likely not pass a federal abortion ban. Many states, however, almost certainly would. That's a big deal to a lot of people, and if you have strong views on abortion, it's certainly reason enough to consider that belief strongly when deciding who to vote for.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Canelek wrote:Speaking of fetus-chuckers like Palin, I need to re-read Insomnia (Stephen King). Good shit! :)
Thought you said fetus fucker for some reason. Peculiar.