Spring Training Poll - NL West

What do you think about the sports world?

Who will win the NL West?

Arizona
20%
Colorado
7%
Los Angeles
53%
San Diego
13%
San Fransisco
7%

Total votes: 15

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Spring Training Poll - NL West

Post by Canelek »

Maddox is a good pickup. He is old as dirt as far as pitchers go these days (non-roided pitchers, you goofy Clemens fans). However, the guy still has his moments. I like what the Dodgers are doing here. However, if I see Piazza, Karros or Hundley, I am laughing at you all. Well, Mikey could do a mean PERT commercial.....

Seriously though, if they had Penny back, it would be a one team race in the W.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Maddox was awesome in his prime but he gets rocked these days.

Best ball location pitcher ever.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Winnow wrote:Maddox was awesome in his prime but he gets rocked these days.
If he is getting rocked, then Randy Johnson is getting totally shelled. Maddux is having a better season then he is with a 3.99era and 1.22 WHip in 153ip. His record is a result of the potent Padre lineup. Looking at the Dbacks, he would be your 3rd best pitcher.....which unfortunately equates to the Dodger ace :?

Should continue to be a great race until Webb gets hurt at 19wins, then we roll past
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Canelek wrote:However, if I see Piazza, Karros or Hundley, I am laughing at you all. Well, Mikey could do a mean PERT commercial.....

Well I did see Gagne back here a few games ago, so anything is possible!
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Good news for Dbacks fans and Dodger haters, Andrew hit 2 HR in AAA yesturday so there is a great chance Torre will bench someone good who is helping us win Ethier/Kemp to see if Jones will be 'inspired' by Manny :roll:

Fuck that would piss me off, I already have mixed feelings on Torre and this move would be seriously stupid. I know they want to try to make Jones tradeable, but they should cut their losses at this point.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The next 15 game stretch favors the D'Backs. AZ has 6 games vs SD and hosts LA while LA has to go on the road to Philly and somewhere else without a day off before coming to AZ.

If AZ is going to pull ahead, this is the time to do it.

If Webb takes both games he pitches vs SD, he'll have 20 wins before the month of September. Something to shoot for! It's not like it will be easy as he'll be matched up against Lincecum.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I'm thinking Webb is a shoe-in for the Cy Young, barring major setback.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

ouch

LA drops 2 to Colorado while the D'Backs win 2 vs SD.

Haren got win #14 but gave up 4 runs in the first. Peavy got rocked for 6 runs in first 2 innings. (another Dunn homer)

Webb pitches tomorrow.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

yeah, LA can beat everyone outside the West it seems. At least we got one today but I doubt Webb will lose to SD so we will still be 2 back
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

You would think a guy that is supposed to win the CY this year he would last more then 7 against the Pads
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trek wrote:You would think a guy that is supposed to win the CY this year he would last more then 7 against the Pads
Are you kidding me? He pitched seven scoreless innings (giving up only 3 hits) and was hit by line drives twice. I'd take him out after 7 as well just in case his arm/wrist needed looking at after that.

Padres 1
D'Backs 4

Webb wins #19 in dominating fashion.

How is 7 scoreless innings and 3 hits not dominating? Amazing you're whining about his number of innings pitched. The guy is second in the entire league in innings pitched over the past three years. He got tagged by balls twice tonight. Jeeze. Anything to bring the guy down. That's a pretty sad attempt.

---------
So, Webb's last few games:

Tonight Won 4-1
Won 12-2
Won 6-1
Won 3-1
Won 2-1
----------
Webb gave up more than one run in only one game over the past five games. *

*but he sucks and Peavy (rocked for 6 runs in 2 innings) and Lincecum are better.

Webb has a chance to win 20 games before September (hasn't been done in over a decade)*

*but he sucks and Peavy (rocked for 6 runs in 2 innings) and Lincecum are better.

He must be winning these games due to run support because he's getting rocked for a little over one run a game...can't be Webb that's responsible for these wins...not giving up all those runs and all. (the closer have up the single run tonight)
PHOENIX (AP) -- It was a career night all around for Brandon Webb -- the most victories he's ever racked up in a season, plus the hardest shot he's ever absorbed in the majors.

Webb pitched seven shutout innings for his career-high and major league-leading 19th victory Thursday night in the Arizona Diamondbacks' 4-1 win over the San Diego Padres.

He was also hit by a sharp comebacker from Kevin Kouzmanoff in the sixth. The ball ricocheted off Webb's chest but he picked it up and flipped it to Tony Clark to end the inning.

"This is the worst one, for sure," Webb said, describing the discomfort. "It got me pretty square, then I had to go toward first base but I had to get the out. As bad as it hurt, I just went after it and was able to make the play."
Adam Dunn, who leads the league with 34 homers, was intentionally walked in the fifth and drew another one in the eighth, boosting his major league lead to 94. He had seven walks, two home runs and five RBIs in the series for Arizona.
Dunn leads in HRs and Walks. Amazing what his patience at the plate has done for the rest of the team.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

yoink
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Speaks volumes when the lead league in dongs is 34. I like it! It is a nice rollback to when only a few asshats were doping.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How'd Maddux' first start work out for the Dodgers tonight? Was his ERA for the game beyond calculation?

Randy Johnson notched 13 Ks tonight. Not bad for a 44 year old.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Yeah he didnt look good. 13k's is pretty good tho it doesnt = a W. LA looks to be ready to fall apart, someone needs to step up and get them excited again
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Dear LA,

Please beat the fucking Phillies tonight.

Thanks,

NY
en kærlighed småkager
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Not looking good, LA is back to uninspired baseball I am used to seeing, kind of like seeing 9 Andrew Jones out there going "oh well at least I get my check"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

D'Backs closer Brandon Lyon sucks ass. They need to put Jon Rauch in the closer spot.

Lyon has been getting rocked for a month. He gets boo'd by his own team fans. Can't have a pitcher that gets boo'd as the closer.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Have the same problem in LA, half our pen is on the DL. Broxton could be a decent closer at some point but not right now, he doesnt have the head for it.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

These guys are pathetic, cant close a game, cant get a run with bases loaded no-outs. Thats pretty much been Dodger baseball over the last 20 years
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

You can have Heilman and Feliciano. In exchange, the Mets request a 3-way combo plate from Dr. Hoggly Woggly Tyler Texas BBQ in Panorama City.
en kærlighed småkager
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Timmy moving closer to a chance at the Cy Young, 7 2/3 with 1 run for the win combined with Webb imploding... this kid is silly good.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:Timmy moving closer to a chance at the Cy Young, 7 2/3 with 1 run for the win combined with Webb imploding... this kid is silly good.
Webb had one bad game. Lets not go overboard.

More importantly

The Dodgers, losers of six in a row vs The D'Backs, losers of five in a row...tonight!

Lose five and they still have a 3 game lead. There's no stopping the D'Backs!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

It'll be hard to give it to either guy at this point, Webb has the W's and the division, Timmy has the K's and ERA, truely both players are pitching out of theiur minds.

Webb had a bad game but now he can't have another and get the Cy in my opinion, Lincecum still has a mulligan like that disaster the other night by Webb

Jefferson
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Since Kent started that shit with Vin this team has sucked. You would think at this point in his career he would have like another shot at a title, instead of being known as the guy that talks his team into losing
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

LA's going to have to eventually win a game sometime if they hope to stay in the race.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Winnow wrote:LA's going to have to eventually win a game sometime if they hope to stay in the race.

Yeah, thats normally how you take a division. Unfortunately LA is done, they have been for over a week, you can see it in their play. They dont care, are not excited and have no remorse for loosing.

Good news tho, they lose a shit load of payroll this year:

Penny - 9 mil (hope they dont pick up his option)
Lowe - 10
Maddux - 10
Loaiza - 7
Blake - 6
Furcal - 16
Nomor - 10
Kent - 11 (hope they dont pick up his option)
Bennett - 2
Sweeney - 1
Manny 20(doesnt count since he was paid up)
Saito - 2 (give him another shot)
Biemel - 2 (would like him back)
Proctor - 1 (would like him back)
Park - 500k
Brazoban - 500k

Thats 90million in freed up money if they are smart and let them all go. I hope they send a big offer to Sabathia intead of Manny, even tho if he signed in LA he would be hurt for the duration of the contract. I am pretty skeptical that LA will gut this team like they need to. They need to go after a few guys that really want to play and win and bring up a few young guys to fill in some other spots.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow, that's the worst game Webb could have pitched tonight. He picked a bad night to suck with it being the Sunday Night Baseball Game on ESPN.

May have cost him the Cy Young.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Winnow wrote:Wow, that's the worst game Webb could have pitched tonight. He picked a bad night to suck with it being the Sunday Night Baseball Game on ESPN.

It is Lincecum's to lose at this point, I was shocked by his performance and actually cheering for them, only because I hate the ducking fodgers.

Jefferson
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

To be honest I thought Webb would get his 20th against LA just to add insult to me loosing the 20 win bet. I guess he can still do that in 5 days when they play in LA.

Why the Snakes cant put LA away is beyond me, its not like they are trying to catch Az
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
Winnow wrote:Wow, that's the worst game Webb could have pitched tonight. He picked a bad night to suck with it being the Sunday Night Baseball Game on ESPN.

It is Lincecum's to lose at this point, I was shocked by his performance and actually cheering for them, only because I hate the ducking fodgers.
I'd agree that the Cy Young is Lincecum's to lose. He's been incredible, especially given the year the Giants have had and this being his first full year in the rotation. My only concern is that we won't see much of him in the coming years. His delivery generates a lot of torque, and he'll probably be prone to injury. Webb may have the most wins, but wins are not the best indicator of a pitchers effectiveness. Rich Harden and CC Sabathia could enter the picture, but since they both pitched in the AL for more than half the season it hurts their chances.

I could care less who wins the West, unless the Rockies mount another comeback. According to ESPN, there's a 3.9% chance of that happening, so who knows?!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

That 5 spot did not help, he needs to be lights out these last 5 or it will go to Sabathia at this point and if he wins out it might be him anyways... what is he 10-1 since coming over?

Webb and Dempster are the tier 2 guys going into the last 4-5 starts for them all.

Also everyone so far that studies Lincecums delivery says it should add zero strain to his body... damn if I don't hope they are right.

Jefferson
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I was at the game on Tuesday, and Lincecum was not hitting his spots like he normally does. He had a few pitches in the dirt which resulted in some steals by a few heads-up plays by the guys on first. Both of those wild pitches came in the 5-run 4th. He also had a ball sail over Holliday's head and hit his bat for a 'foul'. He was a bit wilder than he usually is and thought if he came up to bat he would be facing some chin music after a fair number of high and inside fastballs.

I'd still be surprised to see CC get they CY. He pitched 2/3 of the season in the AL, which is going to be tough to overcome the voters with. I think he got robbed on the no-hitter, but I'm guessing the CY is coming out of the West... Webb, Haren, or Lincecum. I agree, it would be tough for Lincecum to win considering he's on a losing team. Pedro was the last to win the CY on a losing team in 1997. Voters are easily swayed as well by total wins. Consider this for a moment; the Giants bullpen has blown 5 Lincecum wins to Webb having one blown save, they have almost the same number of wins at this point (20).

Wins to a pitcher is like RBIs to a hitter. They're stats that are dependent upon your teammates doing their jobs.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If Webb can manage another win or two and end up with 20-22 wins, he'll get the Cy Young...unless he keeps giving up 5-6 runs a game.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Its awesome that Kent got hurt, I have really grown to hate him over the last month. Since he has been out of the clubhouse LA is having fun and are now winners of 5 in a row and are doing pretty good against Haren. This is what they need, even if they bring that POS Jones back to the bench, Kent has always been a cancer everywhere he's played. He is a great ballplayer but cant stop his mouth from bringing his team down.

Very important fwe games here being back 1.5, I wonder if we can actually take the division lead for a night or 2!

Go Dodgers!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Dodgers are a half game back with Webb going for number 20 tonight. Third time is the charm (?).

Colorado is 5 games out! Go Rockies! :D
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

D'Backs look like the Dodgers did the last few weeks. This D'Bacls/Dodgers series should be a playoff atmosphere but the D'Backs look out of it.

Haren looked like he lost the game before he even started pitching last night.

I hope Bob Melvin emphasizes to his team that this series is basically a playoff series before tonight's game. If Webb has snother bad games things could start looking grim! (plus the D'Backs will have lost the lead in the NL West for the first time since April)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Looking like LA is going to be in 1st! I still have hope(tho not much) that Webb doesnt get 20 wins! At least he wont get it vs LA

GO DODGERS!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks like the D'Backs are done. I saw no enthusiasm these past two games with the season on the line.

The schedule favors the Dodgers over the next ten games. Arizona might finish closer to Colorado than LA.
That was quite a stretch in first! 4+ months!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

so is Webb's Cy Young

Jefferson
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Winnow wrote:Looks like the D'Backs are done. I saw no enthusiasm these past two games with the season on the line.

The schedule favors the Dodgers over the next ten games. Arizona might finish closer to Colorado than LA.
That was quite a stretch in first! 4+ months!
You call yourself a fan? That's fucking pathetic! There are 14 games left and you're throwing in the towel. They're only 1.5 games out of first. Gratz for showing your fair-weather fan colors.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hint: Football

Don't really give a shit about baseball except when there's no football to watch!

As I said, they look as pathetic as the Dodgers did a few weeks ago. Of course I'll pull for them to win games but they appear done in their current state. Thee straight games of unenthusiastic play doesn't exactly win over fans. I expect full effort out of these players in return for attention.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

8-0 since Kent went away, unfortunately Torre wont see the connection and Kent will be back to ruin our shot. So dont give up hope there Winnow, it wont take much to overtake LA if Kent comes back. Plus I think LA plays SF 9 games or so which to some might = easy wins for LA unless you follow that rivalry, these two have been knocking each other out of the postseason for decades no matter how bad the other team sucks.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Trek wrote:8-0 since Kent went away, unfortunately Torre wont see the connection and Kent will be back to ruin our shot. So dont give up hope there Winnow, it wont take much to overtake LA if Kent comes back. Plus I think LA plays SF 9 games or so which to some might = easy wins for LA unless you follow that rivalry, these two have been knocking each other out of the postseason for decades no matter how bad the other team sucks.
This is the matchup for Arizona's game tonight so it won't be easy:

ARI: Petit (3-4, 3.44 ERA)
SFO: Lincecum (15-3, 2.60 ERA)
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

It would be the time for Webbs teammates to help him out a bit, not that I want them to ( I of course want Az to lose right now) but he carried them for awhile they can try to knock Tim around. I still think Lincecum (pronounced Licsumcum since he plays for the gaybay :lol: ) is one of the best pitchers out there this year. I am not sure if he could keep this up at his size for an entire career, but if I was building a club I would take a shot on him.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Well, Tim has 9k's in 7 IP so far and the snakes havent scored a run again. Making a pretty strong case for CY
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

God that felt good.

Barring a Collapse Timmy is Cy, Sandoval, Lewis, Burriss and Velez are all players (Velez is a 5th or 6th infeilder but still a player imo), Sheirholtz damn well looks like one too (I want to see 250 AB's still), the Giants are really not that far away with the pitching they have in the majors and stocked super deep in the minors.

Jefferson
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I haven't been this excited since FERNANDOMANIA.
en kærlighed småkager
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Webb up 1-0 in 7th, not looking good for me :(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I win!

D'backs relief pitchers almost blew it for Webb though.