Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Mother Finds Teacher Texting, Calling Daughter

Post by Siji »

http://cbs13.com/watercooler/teacher.te ... 94702.html
Mother Finds Teacher Texting, Calling Daughter

GALT (CBS13) ― A worried mother says her daughter has been texting and talking to her high school teacher after hours, and despite her protests, her daughter was still in classes with that teacher.

The mother, who did not wish to be identified, was trying to find out why her 15-year-old daughter was behaving strangely when she discovered a troubling text message on her daughter's phone.

"It happened around 9:35 at night," she said. "It said, 'I don't want her to find out, I don't want her to get hurt. I need to meet with you.'"

She immediately took her daughter's cell phone away and checked her call records. The mother showed us phone bills from the last six months of the school year, revealing text messages and phone calls to and from what appears to be the teacher's cell phone number.

"He called her at midnight," she said, pointing to one record. "They were on the phone for 30 minutes."

She called and wrote the school to complain last June, and the district responded with a letter that acknowledged that the teacher did "communicate with your daughter at times of the day and night that was concluded to be unprofessional."

The superintendent also apologized for the "lack of professional behavior," and assured the mother that a letter will go in the teacher's file, and further inappropriate behavior could lead to disciplinary action.

"It's not enough," the mother said. "He should be punished in a different way. He's an adult, and he's a teacher."

Her daughter is in his class at Galt High School this school year, and she still refuses to explain to her mother why she was communicating with him after hours.

We tried contacting the teacher after school Wednesday, but he has not responded to our messages. The school district says they cannot comment to us on personnel matters, but after we made our calls, the mother says they've taken some action, possibly to remove the girl from that classroom.
If I found out that one of my daughter's teachers was texting her and/or calling her I'd have a face to face coming to Jesus moment with said teacher. And how the hell do you as a parent let your child not tell you why they're talking to their teacher at midnight? Refuse to explain? Excuse me? Methinks not. With as many teacher & student sex problems happening these days, how would a school not take immediate and swift action when presented with undeniable proof of misconduct? That sounds like a lawsuit just waiting to happen. There's no reason, absolutely none, for a teacher to be directly contacting a student outside of school.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Re: Mother Finds Teacher Texting, Calling Daughter

Post by Kaldaur »

There's no reason, absolutely none, for a teacher to be directly contacting a student outside of school.
That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Our obligation as teachers doesn't just extend to the classroom walls. I talked to a former student yesterday on the phone. She had moved to another school and had just joined the band. She was calling to let me know that everything was going well and she was adjusting. She was a great student in class, but didn't make friends very well. I was glad to hear she's doing well, and offered encouragement and talked about clubs she should join. The conversation ended. In a sue happy day and age, it is sad when a teacher (who became a teacher to make a difference in children's lives) is not allowed to put forth 100% of their hearts and minds towards making sure the student is succeeding. Calling at midnight? Yes, that's inappropriate and horribly wrong. I'm sure something is going on there. But absolutely no contact with students outside of school? Preposterous. Our society may say otherwise, for fear of litigation, but as a teacher I know that's the wrong stance to take.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I agree, Kaladaur. My best teachers were the ones that took an interest in us students that extended outside of the classroom. The super late calls and the secrecy around the communications is a different matter altogether, though. I'd be pretty alarmed by that sort of thing as well.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I talked to several of my teachers outside of school and school hours. I kept in touch with a couple even after graduating.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I take it Kal is a teacher, and I can definitely see his point. Good teachers will care for their students, and be true to the spirit of true teaching. This does not necessarily begin and end in the classroom.

However, it's pretty clear from the "I don't want her to find out" text and the midnight callings that a line is being crossed. It looks like a basic case of grooming here and I'm pretty saddened that the schoolboard has chosen not to do anything about it.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Yeah, a male teacher calling a 15 year old female student at midnight is appropriate, even the 9:30 at night call is unjustified. I can understand keeping in touch or whatever but that is not what what going on there.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Indeed. I wasn't disputing that point at all. I know many creepy teachers, of both sexes. This one definitely falls into that range. Their deeds do a disservice to those of us who genuinely care.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Note where I said a teacher contacting a student directly. In your example, she called you. If a teacher wants to talk to a student outside of school hours, they need to go through the parents. Don't like it? Blame the teachers fucking their students. You want to talk to my child, you talk to me first. You wanna chat, do so in between classes. Are you a danger to my child? Probably not, but you might be.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

It's truly is unfortunate that the good, dedicated teachers out there get a bad rap because of creeps like the dude in the OP.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Siji wrote:Note where I said a teacher contacting a student directly. In your example, she called you. If a teacher wants to talk to a student outside of school hours, they need to go through the parents. Don't like it? Blame the teachers fucking their students. You want to talk to my child, you talk to me first. You wanna chat, do so in between classes. Are you a danger to my child? Probably not, but you might be.

My teachers contacted me almost as often as I contacted them. They were involved enough in developing/teaching me to continue to support me even when I was no longer their student. I believe my mom might have spoken to at least one of them. The difference here is that I never failed to let my mom know about the conversations and it was always during "business" hours. The child is just as much to blame in this situation for not informing the parents. That is what would give me the impression that something other than concern for a student was going on. People that seem to think that teachers are only there to occupy their child's time during the school day are the same people that would think that their child being able to take a test and pass means they actually understand the subject, in my opinion.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

The child is a minor and can't be held accountable really. The first time I saw this occurring the phone would be gone. I most certainly would not want my child in that teacher's class and I likely would remove them from the school. A teacher is not calling at midnight to talk about homework assignments.

If a teacher wants to talk to a student, they need to go through the parent(s) and make sure that the parents are aware of every conversation outside of school hours. I coached 7th grade football for 6 years and I can tell you that you really need to cover your butt when it comes to kids. I never allowed anything non-football related to happen unless I spoke to the parents directly first.

In high school I had some great teachers but I never did anything one-on-one after school hours. Unfortunately, things have changed in the last 20 years and I can see where teachers are almost being forced to be parents to some of the kids today. Society has come to expect teachers to be the primary developer of their kids. A lot of parents refuse to take responsibility for their children anymore. They drop them off at school and forget about them. After school the kids play video games or hang out on corners till late at night. Parents probably spend 1-2 hours a day with their kids max during the school year. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone. I am planning to be a much bigger part in my kids lives than my parents were.
Deward
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We drank beers with our professors after school. I only recall one suspect incident where a girl locked herself in a teacher's bathroom and wouldn't come out.

The school I went to had all Ivy League professors straight out of college. The age range between student and teacher was pretty narrow with instructors being as young as 22. Combine that with lots of beer and wine and surprisingly I'm happy to report that as far as I know, it was handled well with no incidents.

In a non boarding school environment, I see no reason a teacher should be calling or texting a student at midnight without the parent being involved. I'm sure there are plenty of bad parents that need to be shot though. A teacher with good intentions can find other ways besides calling students late at night to help along with making sure someone else knows what's going on to avoid misunderstandings.
lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

Winnow wrote: I see no reason a teacher should be calling or texting a student at midnight without the parent being involved.
Or with!
iandaina
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by iandaina »

I don't see anything wrong with a teacher speaking with a student, as long as the parents are aware and it's during decent hours ie: NOT midnight. Although there was my 9th grade math teache...o, sorry.

Anyway, my 1st grade teacher took us to her house for a sleepover at the beginning of the year (not co-ed, first girls then boys) and we had a ball. Watched movies, had popcorn, and got to know each other. She is to this day my favorite teacher I ever had, and that is one of my best memories. It's sad teachers are more restricted now from when I was a child, but then again, I'm old.

Off to lurk mode again~
Insert witty line here~
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Heh.. a sleepover at the teachers house? Funny how times have changed.

I don't think it's such a bad thing, how we veer so far away from anything that might give anyone the wrong impression or worry, but your mileage may vary.

One of my friends softball players runs bus trips... beer tours... and he organized one to the little league world series. I couldn't understand why these grown men would want to go there to get drunk, when they have no relation to any of the players, and I wouldn't go myself.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.