Media Bias

What do you think about the world?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Media Bias

Post by Sylvus »

An interesting item from the Freakonomics blog. Check out how two different papers report the same information.

"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Re: Media Bias

Post by Fash »

Yup... Words are important, and one mans 'tepid' is anothers 'solid' depending on their own feelings of the issue.

I didn't reply to your request in the other thread, I don't see the point when we just see the situation differently, but this is basically the example of why. Significant and insignificant stories have been stretched and skewed to the point that they paint a different perception than reality.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Fash wrote:Yup... Words are important, and one mans 'tepid' is anothers 'solid' depending on their own feelings of the issue.

I didn't reply to your request in the other thread, I don't see the point when we just see the situation differently, but this is basically the example of why. Significant and insignificant stories have been stretched and skewed to the point that they paint a different perception than reality.
Exactly what I've been saying for years on this board.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Congratulations! What do you want? A fucking cookie?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Hmmm, i so wanted to borq the thread, but I'll refrain.
[Show]
Sick Balls!
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
Fash wrote:Yup... Words are important, and one mans 'tepid' is anothers 'solid' depending on their own feelings of the issue.

You've been saying there is systematic left bias...These articles skew two different directions...

And the bias here is clearly not the media's but the sources they are interviewing.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Arborealus wrote:

You've been saying there is systematic left bias...These articles skew two different directions...

And the bias here is clearly not the media's but the sources they are interviewing.
*sigh* It's up to them who they interview, what words they use to skew and put forth the perception they choose. Come on already. This really isn't as difficult as you guys make it out to be.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

What you're saying you've been saying and what you have actually been saying are two different things. See the post above yours for more details.

Why can't you just admit it instead of being a pompous jerk?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:What you're saying you've been saying and what you have actually been saying are two different things. See the post above yours for more details.

Why can't you just admit it instead of being a pompous jerk?
Because you're wrong. It is exactly what I have been saying. You want to prove me wrong, which you won't, go back a few years and cut and paste away.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Better things to do my life. Hopefully you'll realise you're only deluding yourself though.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:Better things to do my life. Hopefully you'll realise you're only deluding yourself though.
You shouldn't make such statements with no proof. Anyone being honest on this board would not dare say that I haven't been all over this issue for many many years.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

You actually don't appear to understand what the word "honest" means.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:You actually don't appear to understand what the word "honest" means.
I honestly recognize that you're a huge troll who just picks little words out of every post I make and drag these threads on pages longer than they ever should be. I know it's your thing, but it's exhausting. This board has so much potential. So many different people from differnt cultures, countries, religions, traditions, perspectives, etc. If we could get past the "this is flamevault" attitude and just have really open conversations without all the twisting of words and personal attacks, we could really have something 100 times more special than what we already have here.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

That's a valid point, but ironically the opportunity for that is largely shitted up by idiots like you and Funkmasterr the racist. How can you expect to be treated respectfully when you deny the basic fact that you're main irk about "media bias" has not been that "different papers have their own agenda" but "there is an obvious left wing bias in American media."

The fact you're attempting to deny this is absolutely laughable, especially as as soon as anyone starts criticising Bush and his heinous war crimes you immediately start going on and on about the liberal media. The same applies to Obama right from before he was even the nominee. Honestly, I can only assume that it is you who is trolling. Really, you're being absolutely absurd in trying to deny this basic fact. (Not opinion btw, it's a fact) It's your "thing". My "thing" is calling idiots idiots.

So either you're an idiot or a fucking liar. and Guess what?

Neither deserve respect.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:That's a valid point, but ironically the opportunity for that is largely shitted up by idiots like you and Funkmasterr the racist. How can you expect to be treated respectfully when you deny the basic fact that you're main irk about "media bias" has not been that "different papers have their own agenda" but "there is an obvious left wing bias in American media."

The fact you're attempting to deny this is absolutely laughable, especially as as soon as anyone starts criticising Bush and his heinous war crimes you immediately start going on and on about the liberal media. The same applies to Obama right from before he was even the nominee. Honestly, I can only assume that it is you who is trolling. Really, you're being absolutely absurd in trying to deny this basic fact. (Not opinion btw, it's a fact) It's your "thing". My "thing" is calling idiots idiots.

So either you're an idiot or a fucking liar. and Guess what?

Neither deserve respect.
Please refer to my numerous other posts regarding the habitual need to call those who have differing opinions idiots, stupid, racist, etc. Opening the conversation to something more, to other possibilities, expressing what many others also see as a media bias in the way the same 'news story' is reported very differently by different outlets, is not idiotic. I really wish you could calm down and open your mind to other ideas and possibilities. Very few things in life are as black and white as they may be reported. When I hear or read such a definitive opinion on a topic, it immediately makes me question why they are so sure about something no one has any real proof of.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

You can try and derail all you want, you're deluding yourself.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

And now, for something different. A new poster in this thread!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:You can try and derail all you want, you're deluding yourself.
You're a child. I'd love to stop using that response to you. One day when you stop acting like one, I guess I can.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Do it for us. Using it isn't going to help anything. Stop responding to Nick unless you're going to try and be funny. It makes for boring conversation.

The article on Freakonomics reminds me of a Lewis Black skit about how both sides have their own set of facts, and there are no fact facts.

The idea that these statistics can be skewed so far to either side lends a certain responsibility to a media source. I really want the media to report the news, not what they think it means or full of clever adjectives that impart a positive or negative meaning. "The US GDP went up 1.9% this quarter, here's a nice fucking graph of it's past performance. In other news..." I wonder what this format would actually look like on a 24 hour news channel. I think there's a lot of news that goes unreported and if they stopped wasting time with opinions, talk shows and pundits, we could actually watch the news to get bombarded with information about what's really going on in the world. It should also make people think, since they aren't being told what to think anymore.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Arborealus wrote:

*sigh* It's up to them who they interview, what words they use to skew and put forth the perception they choose. Come on already. This really isn't as difficult as you guys make it out to be.
Show me how these 2 articles represent "Liberal" media bias which IS what you have been saying for years...my point is it is clearly NOT systematic.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Really? You can't read the two different bold lettered titles to each article and see the difference? Holy shit.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Really? You can't read the two different bold lettered titles to each article and see the difference? Holy shit.
The point, you exceedingly dim bulb, is that they're slanted in BOTH directions. So you can't say it's all slanted left when there's clearly an article slanted in either direction.

Or to put it another way, for years you've been saying all cats are black, someone shows you a picture of a black cat and a white cat and you say "See, told you"
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Really? You can't read the two different bold lettered titles to each article and see the difference? Holy shit.
Yeah, we all see the difference. Once says "good" and one says "bad."

They aren't the same things, and therefore cannot possibly be biased the same way!