Gasoline Price Predictions for 08

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Gasoline Price Predictions for 08

Post by Winnow »

Everything favors the Republican presidential candidate.

I heard on the radio that the recession actually started last November so the recovery will be in full swing right before the elections. Now, I for one think the economy does its thing no matter who is in office but the general population doesn't seem to get that. Gas prices will also be declining simply because of the season before the elections.

-improving economy
-lower gas prices
-some drummed up drama in the Middle East (Iran)
-a little botox work on McCains neck and face

= McCain as our next president
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Winnow wrote:Everything favors the Republican presidential candidate.

I heard on the radio that the recession actually started last November so the recovery will be in full swing right before the elections. Now, I for one think the economy does its thing no matter who is in office but the general population doesn't seem to get that. Gas prices will also be declining simply because of the season before the elections.

-improving economy
-lower gas prices
-some drummed up drama in the Middle East (Iran)
-a little botox work on McCains neck and face

= McCain as our next president with a 45 state victory
adding my $0.02
Sick Balls!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Bump for the new high. It's up .26 cents from the previous record set on Memorial Day Weekend!

There are too many people betting on the 4.50$ mark. You'll be out of this game way too soon. We have 6 months to go!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

3.79 here
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Seven days after our last record high and we have a nice 15 cent jump to the newest record. Impressive indeed!

$4.55 and climbing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Where is it 4.55? I can go down the street and get it for $4.15 right now. National average for regular is what needs to be used.

That's $4.066

http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/

California's price per gallon is much higher than the average. That's their problem. By now, Californians have had years to understand that the state is overpopulated and could have moved out and got a nice job milking cows or shining shoes in the midwest.

I could ask the quickie mart dude to raise the price to 10.00 for a second to win the bet!

Great stock chart! There was a breakout in March of 08.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Here in my town, $4.35 is the "cheap" stuff. Shells and Mobiles are pushing into the $4.55 mark.
Sick Balls!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I got some at 3.99 yesterday.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Another new high. Gas is 4.20ish in my area and for the first time it took 100$ to fill my tank. Gas officially costs more than my car payment.

Up it goes, where it stops, nobody knows! Sky's the limit!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It's been almost a month since we've seen a new high, but today we have a .04 increase, bringing the new average to $4.66.

Gas prices have slowed down a bit, but I'm sensing another upturn soon. $6.25, here we come!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Gas prices typically drop after the 4th of July weekend so it might be awhile before they increase. I'm betting they drop some more.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Actually they went up after the 4th. At least around here. It was $3.94 or something Monday morning when I drive by. That afternoon is was $4.20. It's come down about 6 cents since then as of yesterday when it was $4.14. No telling what it is today! Who knows what new excuse they found to jack it up another 20 cents as it always seems to be something.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bigger picture! I meant over the next month or two.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Bigger picture! I meant over the next month or two.
You mean Broader Scope. Try keeping up with the current lingo!

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I've spent $450 on gas in the last 30 days. I can't wait for it to be more than $6 per gallon!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Jarori Bloodletter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Jarori Bloodletter »

Sylvus wrote:I've spent $450 on gas in the last 30 days. I can't wait for it to be more than $6 per gallon!

I got gas last weekend for a trip to the oregon coast, I stopped at a Shell and told the guy to "fill her up".

He reply's to me "i need at least 20 bux first". wtf? i guess people are driving away after fill-ups without paying. Only cost me 30 bux for round trip. Ive spent 90 bux in the last 30 days.
Eq1
Jarori Bloodletter (retired)
Emgug 85 Cleric
Fugara 85 Shaman
Jardoeni 85 Beastlord
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Lol! Where the fuck did you get gas? I have never had anyone ask me that.

Point of reference--Oregon and NJ are only states where you are not allowed to pump your own gas without a HAZMAT license.
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Many stations in my area a prepay. It sucks and I do not go to those stations unless I absolutely have to.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I always pay at the pump.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I also won't go to gas stations that are prepay only unless I have to. Drive offs are something the gas station needs to find a way to deal with other than inconveniencing people.. I generally want to fill my tank and if you prepay that is obviously tough.. It's not a big deal if I can't fill it but it annoys the hell out of me.

I also don't pay at the pump. Ever. It is unacceptable to me that when you pay at the pump the transaction take as much as a week to show up on your checking account. TBH I wish I could put some kind of a condition on my check card that would refuse payment on any transaction that was not fully cleared at my bank within like 24-36 hours of me completing the transaction.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

How do you people buy gas?

Here's how you do it:

-Stick your debit/credit card into the slot.
-Pump your gas.
-Drive away

I wasn't aware that gas stations allowed anyone to pump their gas without paying first these days. I sure wouldn't. Poor people or people with bad credit can pay up front with cash (that's their penalty for being poor or having bad credit) and everyone else with a credit or debit card can use that method right at the pump.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:How do you people buy gas?

Here's how you do it:

-Stick your debit/credit card into the slot.
-Pump your gas.
-Drive away

I wasn't aware that gas stations allowed anyone to pump their gas without paying first these days. I sure wouldn't. Poor people or people with bad credit can pay up front with cash (that's their penalty for being poor or having bad credit) and everyone else with a credit or debit card can use that method right at the pump.
I just explained why I don't pay at the pump.. I don't balance my checkbook (bad, I know) I just use the website and phonebank and keep a mental note of where I'm at, so when I pay at the pump and the transaction doesn't show up until a week later, it's an issue.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I pay at the pump, always... Though I agree the delay in posting transactions is silly, everything should be instantaneous by now. Since you have to have connectivity, and receive an authorization or denial, there's no reason we can't move to a real-time system.

I have a card that I use pretty much exclusively for gas, so I can remember the available balance, and pay it off monthly.

Also, with my truck, I never fill up. I put ~$50 in every time, which get's me about a half tank. Why lug around 12 extra gallons of gas?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: I just explained why I don't pay at the pump.. I don't balance my checkbook (bad, I know) I just use the website and phonebank and keep a mental note of where I'm at, so when I pay at the pump and the transaction doesn't show up until a week later, it's an issue.

I don't understand this. I use debit card to pay for gas. The transaction is registered within minutes on my BofA account if I log on and check it. So are Fast Food Purchases, Grocery, etc etc etc.

I don't balance a checkbook either but BofA's website is accurate and up to date, including gas. At worst, a fast food transaction takes a day or two. Never a week.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote: I just explained why I don't pay at the pump.. I don't balance my checkbook (bad, I know) I just use the website and phonebank and keep a mental note of where I'm at, so when I pay at the pump and the transaction doesn't show up until a week later, it's an issue.

I don't understand this. I use debit card to pay for gas. The transaction is registered within minutes on my BofA account if I log on and check it. So are Fast Food Purchases, Grocery, etc etc etc.

I don't balance a checkbook either but BofA's website is accurate and up to date, including gas. At worst, a transaction takes a day or two. Never a week.
Strange.. Pay at the pump transactions are one of the few places I have that issue (parking downtown at most ramps is unfortunately another place it happens). A 1 dollar transaction shows up right away, but the whole amount doesn't show up for at LEAST a few days. And that is the same for pretty much any gas station here, and I know that it's an issue with all the major banks around here (TCF, Wells Fargo, US Bank, etc).
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

You're using it as credit, though, right? You're not typing in a PIN, while I think Winnow is.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fash wrote:You're using it as credit, though, right? You're not typing in a PIN, while I think Winnow is.
Correct, that could be the difference.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I pay cash for everything, but write checks for bills. My credit card is for online transactions.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I pay cash for everything, but write checks for bills. My credit card is for online transactions.

That must be a pain in the ass if you need to return something locally. Most stores won't refund high dollar amounts in cash so you need to wait for a mailed check. You also lose out on the usual credit protection purchases.

And Funk, you're paying more per gallon for using a credit card instead of a debit card at the pump.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:I pay cash for everything, but write checks for bills. My credit card is for online transactions.

That must be a pain in the ass if you need to return something locally. Most stores won't refund high dollar amounts in cash so you need to wait for a mailed check. You also lose out on the usual credit protection purchases.

And Funk, you're paying more per gallon for using a credit card instead of a debit card at the pump.
Care to elaborate?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Care to elaborate?
Sure, the price you see per gallon on the sign driving into the station is for cash/debit. Check the price per gallon after you choose credit on the actual pump you're using. Typically you pay .08 to .10 cents more per gallon.

Not every station does it but most do now.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think most everything is designed to make money faster and easier to spend. I kind of have a problem with that. Cash is the only way for me personally to spend my money, from groceries to cars.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I think most everything is designed to make money faster and easier to spend. I kind of have a problem with that. Cash is the only way for me personally to spend my money, from groceries to cars.

Is this you Fairweather?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbFaEbMhPKU
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Care to elaborate?
Sure, the price you see per gallon on the sign driving into the station is for cash/debit. Check the price per gallon after you choose credit on the actual pump you're using. Typically you pay .08 to .10 cents more per gallon.

I'll have to pay attention next time. My car takes premium, so my price generally isn't listed on the board anyhow.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

So, I'm driving by a gas station and I see it's 4.25 a gallon. "Wtf happened", I think to myself, "gas was only 4.07 yesterday". I get home and read the forums and see Midnyte's thread about how oil just had the biggest price drop in 15 years.

That's fucked up.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:So, I'm driving by a gas station and I see it's 4.25 a gallon. "Wtf happened", I think to myself, "gas was only 4.07 yesterday". I get home and read the forums and see Midnyte's thread about how oil just had the biggest price drop in 15 years.

That's fucked up.
I noticed the same thing. Pretty m uch the same prices too.

They're gouging you while they can! They seem quick to raise it over every little thing yet not so quick to lower it. Sounds fishy!

--
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Few thoughts. Gas generally will cost you about 4 cents more per gallon for using a credit card instead of a debit card, but the cost varies from store to store. Also, paying by debit and entering your PIN number will make the transaction appear on your bank account instantaneously. I've seen a few times where it didn't, but it always does at 7-11.

As I explained in Midnyte's thread, the best way to reduce fuel consumption is by getting a 2-wheeled vehicle. I did, so can you.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Xyun wrote:As I explained in Midnyte's thread, the best way to reduce fuel consumption is by getting a 2-wheeled vehicle. I did, so can you.
Many people walk or ride a bike. They can, so can you.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Many people work from home. They can, so can you. If you can't then find a job where you can or quit.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xyun wrote:Few thoughts. Gas generally will cost you about 4 cents more per gallon for using a credit card instead of a debit card, but the cost varies from store to store. Also, paying by debit and entering your PIN number will make the transaction appear on your bank account instantaneously. I've seen a few times where it didn't, but it always does at 7-11.

As I explained in Midnyte's thread, the best way to reduce fuel consumption is by getting a 2-wheeled vehicle. I did, so can you.
I will have to try using the debit option for my check card next time.

I plan on buying a motorcycle this fall when everyone is selling them for cheap. I won't get to use it til' next year which sucks but at least then I'll have that option.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

I live 10 miles from my job, Air Force base. It takes me around 20-25 minutes to get to work. Paritally on an Interstate with around 5-6 traffic lights.

I drive a Ford Ranger, 4 cylinder truck.

I gas up to around 45-50$ per fill up, usually 2 or max 3 times per month. (If 3, then it carries over to the next months first week. So I guess my usual fill ups are 2-3-2-3 on a monthly basis.

What sucks about the gas prices being as high as they are, is my fuel costs have doubled in the past 2 years.

I spend 100-150-100-150 on average in monthly cycles, my wife is probably double that. Added together, we spend 300-450-300-450 in our family fuel costs. That used to be 150-225-150-225.

The extra funds that I used to spend at Starbucks, Movies, Eating out more often are now being taken up by the fuel costs. Now, we can start adding the extra costs of Milk, Bread, Veggies, Meat at the store because fuel is more costsly to get things to the market.

Just from fuel alone as a family, 200-300-200-300 dollars less each month to just spend on whatever luxury item I used to spend it on, it now goes to Oil Tycoons and Arabs.

If I completed an indepth analysis, I guess that I have 300-400 dollars less now each month of extra spending that I used to have, all due to the cost of oil. I know a few things I could buy for 300-400 dollars more every month.... In reality, this has not affected me at all because I have had pay raises and promotions over the past 2 years that have offset this fuel increase... however, what has happened is my lifestyle has not changed or improved like "The American Dream" states it should have. I have been robbed of an improved quality of life increase due to the price of oil.... others have not been as fortunate.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Last four days for a gallon of gas in my area:

Getting cheaper.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

3.98 here. The lowest it's been in months.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

The other day, I was driving with my girlfriend and she goes "Wow, gas is cheap right now!".

Funny how a couple months of being bent over at the gas pump can make you feel like $3.99/gallon is cheap.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:The other day, I was driving with my girlfriend and she goes "Wow, gas is cheap right now!".

Funny how a couple months of being bent over at the gas pump can make you feel like $3.99/gallon is cheap.
Funny, I ran through this same scenario yesterday. It kinda made me sick.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I kind of like the price high. There's been much less traffic on the roads. Saves me travel time so its not all bad.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

3.72 in Charleston SC
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

3.51 in Columbus, bitches. (it was 3.48 two days ago)

http://columbusgasprices.com/
Fuck Michigan!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Care to elaborate?

I stopped by the Shell and what I paid, by using a credit card, was the same price advertised on the sign.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: I stopped by the Shell and what I paid, by using a credit card, was the same price advertised on the sign.
Must also be regional or station by station because I paid .10 less using cash/debit than credit at a Shell two days ago. The price difference was clearly marked on each pump though.