West Virginia

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

West Virginia

Post by Xanupox »

Who here has ties to West Virginia?

Did you ever live there? Travel to the state? Have a friend or relative living there now? Know someone close to you that is from there? Besides the fact that WVU is going to win the College football national championship this coming year, what else about WVU amazes you?

Oh, I spent 17 years in the state. Loved it, then hated it but missing it now that I have been gone for 16 years.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Re: West Virginia

Post by Sabek »

Xanupox wrote:Besides the fact that WVU is going to win the College football national championship this coming year,
LAWL
Sabek
Just Sabek
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

You mean "West by-God Virginia"...
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

My parents are both from the Charleston area. They got out in the 60s and never moved back.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

WVU Class of 1997. My father is from Parkersburg. He joined the navy out of HS (c.1967) and never moved back. I live in Colorado now, which has similarities to WV in that both depend on tourism and the oil/coal industry have huge lobbies in both states. I love certain things about WV but would NOT want to move back there. I do miss pepperoni rolls. I just can't seem to perfect them.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Xyphir wrote:I do miss pepperoni rolls. I just can't seem to perfect them.
My mom's ex was a WVU alumn, and had lived in the state all her life until moving to Lubbock in the Mid-80's. She used to say that a local chain's "peproni rolls" were as good as anything she had back home.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

West Virginia

Whew! ahahhahaahhahaahehehehehehehehhahahhehahehhe

Thanks! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

My parents both graduated from WVU, and I visited once but it was long ago. From what I remember (I was quite young) it was really pretty there, though.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

I went to school at ye ole WVU. My mother and her sister went to grad school there and we have a friend of the family that is one of the few women to have had her basket ball jersey retired there.

Awesome school and killer night life...at least it was in the early 90's. I have not been back in several years.

And yes, they are going to win it all this year. The speed out of the backfield is going to be ungodly.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

pfft... buckeyes are going to win
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

What amazed me about West Virginia was how back woods some of the little towns are. I had the displeasure of coming down the east side of the Appalachian mountains driving a lowboy with 8 tons on. About 1/3 of the way down my trailer brakes went out and I eventually took a sand trap to keep from killing everyone on the highway.

I ended up walking about 2 miles to a little piss ant of a town to use a phone. When I walked up to the gas station it looked just like Jed Clampets 1 room shanty. On the porch was a guy about 300 pounds and all of 5'2" and a teenage girl who was pretty hot except she was spitting chewing tobacco and had black teeth (the ones she had left anyway).

Finally got a wrecker crew out to dig my truck up and half dozen guys all in bibs pile out of a semi rollback. They proceed to all stand around and look at my truck and trailer like they have never seen one before and ask me how dumb I must be for taking a sand trap all the while spitting what must have been 20 gallons of chew spit all over the ground and side of my truck.

While I didn't really get a chance to interact with the city people I got to say the country folk are ass backward!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

sarlen wrote:What amazed me about West Virginia was how back woods some of the little towns are. I had the displeasure of coming down the east side of the Appalachian mountains driving a lowboy with 8 tons on. About 1/3 of the way down my trailer brakes went out and I eventually took a sand trap to keep from killing everyone on the highway.

I ended up walking about 2 miles to a little piss ant of a town to use a phone. When I walked up to the gas station it looked just like Jed Clampets 1 room shanty. On the porch was a guy about 300 pounds and all of 5'2" and a teenage girl who was pretty hot except she was spitting chewing tobacco and had black teeth (the ones she had left anyway).

Finally got a wrecker crew out to dig my truck up and half dozen guys all in bibs pile out of a semi rollback. They proceed to all stand around and look at my truck and trailer like they have never seen one before and ask me how dumb I must be for taking a sand trap all the while spitting what must have been 20 gallons of chew spit all over the ground and side of my truck.

While I didn't really get a chance to interact with the city people I got to say the country folk are ass backward!
That's pretty similar to my experience in Pennsylvania... Sorry fash/mid :(
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Funkmasterr wrote: That's pretty similar to my experience in Pennsylvania... Sorry fash/mid :(
Pittsburgh in the west, Philadelphia in the east, and Alabama in between, is how the old saying goes.
Oliadar
No Stars!

Post by Oliadar »

the New River Gorge Bridge! I've got somewhere around 60 base jumps off it. I've been to Bridge Day every year for the past 3 years as a jumper and was one of the base jumping safety coordinators last year.

There's also some insane 75mph+ street luge runs out there. In the winter we're out there at least 2 weekends a month for luge/base jumping. The 5 hour drive each way is completely worth it.
Oliadar Advoco - retired
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

WV can be very pretty in parts and Deliverance'ish in others. I have a house in the Appalachians in VA and there's a cheeeap flight from Ft Lauderdale to Huntington Tri-State. I get the hell out of the tri-state area QUICK -avoiding the Mothman and the bumpkins. I do however love Greenbrier County, with Lewisburg being a place I wouldn't mind living. Snowshoe Mountain and the New River Gorge are pretty too.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Clatis wrote:pfft... buckeyes are going to win
gospel has been spoke
Fuck Michigan!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Arborealus wrote:You mean "West by-God Virginia"...
Hi sir. <3
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

I grew up in Lincoln county. A rural poor county in the southwestern part of the state. The only thing I had keeping me sane was the fact I could drive to the capital city of Charleston in less than 15 minutes. I was lucky enough to live on the northern fringe of my county, others that lives in the extreme southern parts of the county and state were really something out of the bizzaro world.

I think the same 3 families have held all political/judicial offices in the county for the last 50 years. Corruption? Defined.

I honestly miss it though, at times. I think my dream right now is to retire from the military (less than 4 years now) and move back somewhere near Morgantown, near WVU. I'd like to just take some part time classes at the school and make use of my GI Bill benefits while I am at it.

Moving back to those rural areas though, I don't think I could handle that. Being in the military, whenever you go back home it seems like things should be just like they were when you left... but like everywhere else, time passes and people change, leave and go other places. Each time I return home to West Virginia, it feels less and less like home.

So, in essence I am still debating on whether or not I should actually return back to the state after I retire or just find a brand new place to stink up with my ninja//training//PKing skills.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Arsecn
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Arsecn »

"Almost Heaven"
~ 70 Troll Scourge Knight ~

"You're talking a whole lotta Jibba-Jabba."