Junk Mail (snail mail)

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Junk Mail (snail mail)

Post by Winnow »

I hate getting junk mail. I wouldn't check my mailbox for a month if it didn't fill up with crap.

Up until now, I haven't found a way to get rid of all the stupid coupon books and newspaper ad shit that go to "current resident".

Has anyone tried this website?

http://www.proquo.com/

It claims to help get rid of those things but I know there are a lot of scams out there. I don't want to get added to yet another list.
Coupons & Weekly Circulars

Coupon lists are used by businesses to deliver local and national coupons to your mailbox. Envelopes are typically red, white and blue or light blue.

Weekly circulars are newspaper-style advertisements delivered to your mailbox. They look like Sunday newspaper inserts.

Marketing Lists & Data Brokers

Marketing lists contain detailed personal information and are used to send you unsolicited offers for things like credit cards and insurance.

Data brokers collect and sell your information to companies that use it to market and sell things to you.

Other Directories

Directories collect your information and make it available for others to use. For example, your personal information may show up in an online phone book without your permission. Directories may also sell your information to special interest groups and political organizations that want to reach you.

Telemarketing Lists

Telemarketing lists include organizations and companies that participate in the use - or prevention - of telemarketing. Some organizations offer consumers an easy way to prevent unwanted telemarketing calls (e.g. the Federal Trade Commission’s National Do Not Call Registry.)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Junk Mail (snail mail)

Post by Boogahz »

503 lbs. of Junk Mail was collected by one department at one of our sites over a one week period. This was not just all products that could be recycled, but junk mail. Here is a quote from the site which had a couple links that could be used as well. I have not checked them out personally yet.
Similar to a “do not call” list, you can remove your name from junk mail lists. Go to http://www.dmaconsumers.org (catalogs and magazines), http://www.optoutprescreen.com (pre screen credit card offers), and http://www.directmail.com/directory/mail_preference/ (National Do Not Mail List). To stop getting catalogs you don’t want, e-mail optout@abacus-direct.com. If each one of us did this, imagine how much paper would be saved! Not to mention, who likes junk mail anyway?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Junk mail is good if you want to see who all lived at the same place. I think I'm receiving stuff addressed to the 4 previous residents of my new location. If I could opt them out from my address that would be nice. I like getting some stuff though. But just the stuff that's addressed to me.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

you would like junk mail
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I open any prepaid replys and send them any random junk mail I have that will fit into the envelope. I drop them off the same time I drop off bills.

Two birds. One stone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:you would like junk mail
Note where I said "some stuff". If it's adressed to me I don't consider it junk mail if it's something I wanted to receive such as a catalog and stuff. Shopping is fun! Someone needs to help the economy that George Bush fucked up.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

GW didn't mess it up. I heard him say yesterday that it was doing fine. Now to go find a job......
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

Our local trash pickup includes a recycling container and I just throw it all in there.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

lmnt9 wrote:Our local trash pickup includes a recycling container and I just throw it all in there.
If only the postman would throw it directly in there.

There should be an option for mail addressed to "current resident" going straight to trash.