Iron Man photo

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Mak
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Iron Man photo

Post by Mak »

Echoing the sentiments above: excellent movie. Very much worth full price to me.
Makora

Too often it seems it is the peaceful and innocent who are slaughtered. In this a lesson may be found that it may not be prudential to be either too peaceful or too innocent. One does not survive with wolves by becoming a sheep.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Sylvus wrote:I made a friend who isn't a big comic book nerd sit through the credits, and I don't know that she was too impressed by the final scene.
It was more of a geek moment than an action sequence. Yes, I believe that's the plan Sylvus.
- Ash
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

Best. Comic Book Movie. Evar.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I was just thinking of the movie critically right now and the plot was kind of hoaky.... but DAMN IT WAS FUN.

RDJ just made the whole Tony Stark role work.
- Ash
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Just got back. Excellent, very entertaining! Robert Downey Jr. was ideal for the role, I can't imagine anyone else being able to do better. And I loved how they did the armour, verah gud.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=155942

Pertinent topic points:
Marvel this morning released its First Quarter 2008 numbers this morning, and along with them, news that officially, an Iron Man sequel is slated for 2010 along with Thor, and two “Avenger-themed” movies in summer of 2011: Captain America (May) and The Avengers (July).

Matthew Vaughn was announced as the director last August.
From Marvel’s report:

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.

MARVEL ANNOUNCES CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, AVENGERS MOVIES; RELEASES Q1 08 NUMBERS
Marvel this morning released its First Quarter 2008 numbers this morning, and along with them, news that officially, an Iron Man sequel is slated for 2010 along with Thor, and two “Avenger-themed” movies in summer of 2011: Captain America (May) and The Avengers (July).

Matthew Vaughn was announced as the director last August.

That’s the fan-pleasing news. The rest…something of a mixed bag. From the Associated Press:

Marvel Entertainment Inc., which licenses comic book characters for films and consumer products, said Monday its first-quarter profit dipped 3 percent partly on lower licensing segment sales.

The company, whose characters include Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk, reported earnings slipped to $45.2 million, or 58 cents per share, compared with $46.8 million, or 54 cents per share, in the previous year.

The per share discrepancy is due to more shares outstanding in the prior year.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial expected a profit of 43 cents per share. Estimates typically exclude one-time items.

For the period ended March 31, revenue declined 26 percent to $112.6 million from $151.4 million, but beat Wall Street's estimate of $111.7 million.

Licensing segment sales, which now include results from its deal with Hasbro, fell on lower revenue from its Spider-Man merchandising joint venture with Sony and a significant drop in Hasbro income, which fell to $8.3 million from $20.8 million, in the same quarter last year.

Publishing revenue edged down 4 percent to $26.5 million, while losses in its film production segment narrowed to $2 million from $3 million a year earlier.

Notable among the reports is that publishing declined – the first time the division has shown a slip compared to its previous year’s numbers in recent memory. The company also announced that it would no longer release its toy division as its own report, but instead, toy segment numbers would now be recorded within the company’s Licensing segment.

From Marvel’s report:

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.

Marvel’s Chairman, Morton Handel, commented, “Adjusting for the strong year-ago contribution from the Spider-Man JV, Marvel’s Q1 2008 operating results continued to demonstrate strong global demand for consumer products based on the Company’s portfolio of characters. Marvel’s self-produced feature film slate launched this past weekend with a performance that firmly establishes Iron Man as a major new film franchise, and the Company eagerly awaits the June premiere of The Incredible Hulk, Marvel’s second self-produced film. In addition, Marvel has been investing in other important areas of growth such as the Internet where, to lead the Company’s newly formed Global Digital Media Group, Marvel recently announced the hiring of Ira Rubenstein. Marvel has a strong foundation to build from, and the Company is adding infrastructure to maximize these opportunities.”

By segment:

Licensing:

Net sales for the Spider-Man JV [joint venture] declined to $29.7 million in Q1 2008, versus $56.9 million in Q1 2007. The year-over-year decline in JV net sales was anticipated, as the high level of net sales in Q1 2007 was triggered by “on shelf dates” related to the May 2007 release of Spider-Man III. This decline was offset in part by increases in domestic and international consumer products licensing, as well as from a higher level of license revenue from Marvel Studios related to the Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four movie properties. Marvel’s Q1 2008 Licensing segment operating income results also reflect settlement payments from two licensees in connection with the termination of their respective interactive license agreements. The settlements totaled $19 million and were recorded as other income. Operating margin in the Licensing segment was 101% in Q1 2008, reflecting the benefit of these settlement payments included in operating income but not included in net sales. The operating margin for the Licensing segment was 83% in Q1 2007.

Publishing:

Marvel’s Publishing Segment net sales declined by $1.0 million or 4% to $26.5 million in Q1 2008 principally due to the timing of major publishing initiatives. Q1 2008 net sales reflected a decline in comic book sales within the direct channel and lower advertising and custom sales, offset in part by continued strong growth in the Mass Market channel. The year-over-year decline in direct channel sales principally reflects strong sales of high profile titles Civil War and The Death of Captain America in the year ago period, versus no comparable specialty titles in Q1 2008. Operating income in the Publishing segment declined by 14% on a year-over-year basis to $9.9 million in Q1 2008 with an operating margin of approximately 37% compared to approximately 42% in the prior-year-period. Based on its planned slate of publishing initiatives, including the release of the Secret Invasion series in late Q2 2008, Marvel expects its Publishing segment to return to traditional margins for the full year 2008.

Film Production:

Marvel’s Film Production segment operating losses were $2.0 million for Q1 2008, compared to $3.0 million in Q1 2007, reflecting overhead costs that were capitalized into Marvel’s self-produced films in Q1 2008. Film Production segment operating costs consist primarily of employee compensation and the expenses associated with Marvel Studios’ office in California.

Other:

Among the items in All Other is Corporate overhead, which was $6.5 million in Q1 2008 and $3.6 million in Q1 2007. The difference in year over year Corporate overhead is principally attributed to a one time credit in Q1 2007 of $1.9 million associated with pension accounting. All Other also includes the results of in-licensed toy lines: for Q1 2008, net sales of $1.5 million and operating income of $0.7 million; for Q1 2007, net sales of $4.2 million and an operating loss of $2.6 million.

Marvel listed projects in its pipeline (along with the announced Avengers films):

Ant-Man: Writer/director engaged (Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish, respectively)
Punisher: War Zone: December 5th, 2008 release
X-Men Origins: Wolverine: May 1st, 2009 release

A side note - if you look at the schedule (and if schedules hold, but given Marvel's luck with the first weekend in May, there's no reason to think they won't) - Free Comic Book Day will occur near a major comic book movie release for the next three years - at least.

Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon: scheduled for Spring 2009 release
Iron Man: Armored Adventures cartoon: scheduled for Spring 2009 release on Nicktoons
Hulk Gamma Corps cartoon: scheduled for Spring 2009 release
Super Hero Squad cartoon: scheduled for Spring 2009 release

Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow DVD: late 2008 release
"Hulk Vs". DVD: early 2009 release
Thor: Son of Asgard DVD: late 2009 release
Planet Hulk DVD Early 2010 release
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's the short version of what Noel posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MVL&t=5 ... z=m&q=l&c=
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:Here's the short version of what Noel posted:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MVL&t=5 ... z=m&q=l&c=

:lol:
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Ant-Man being directed by the Shaun of the Dead writer/director?! Awesome!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Yeah, Ant Man is pure comedy*

*except that drunken wife**-beater thing, I wonder if that's part of the movie.

** I never liked the Wasp anyway...
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:Yeah, Ant Man is pure comedy*

*except that drunken wife**-beater thing, I wonder if that's part of the movie.

** I never liked the Wasp anyway...
I thought the movie was going to be about the "Irredeemable" version of Ant-Man which wouldn't be Hank Pym so that would avoid the woman beater issues. I kind of like the Asian Wasp in Ultimates though. The non Ultimates Wasp isn't one of my favorites.
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

The best comic book movie possible would be Sandman - A Season of Mists storyline.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Well, you have to remember, the Ultimates was a re-imaging of the Avengers "as if they were going to make a movie of it" - down to re-imaging Nick Fury in Samuel L Jackson's likeness...

Will Noel's wish come true? Will the Avengers movie be based on the Ultimates?!?!? (it would be a hell of a lot more interesting, an Asian Wasp would be cool, I could see this.).

Fight scenes aren't why people read comics, no one dies (usually) they just punch each other and there's collateral damage to buildings and vehicles. Readers thrive on the soap opera and intrigue aspects and get suckered in with the personalities.

IMO, Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark made the movie Iron Man, not the suit (although it was hella-cool).
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:Well, you have to remember, the Ultimates was a re-imaging of the Avengers "as if they were going to make a movie of it" - down to re-imaging Nick Fury in Samuel L Jackson's likeness...
Well Hank gets booted out of the Ultimates (as Giant Man) and that's when switches over to Ant-Man. One of my favorite issues is when Hank Pym joins the Defenders and sleeps with Valkyrie before she gets her powers. I wonder if Thor knows Hank slept with her.

I agree that the "soap" opera part of comics is the most interesting for ongoing series although every once in awhile there are some epic fight scenes like when Cap escapes the SHIELD Hover Carrier. Great stuff.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Yeah, that fight scene was great - I'll give you that.
- Ash
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

First, I really want to apologize for that last post. I was in a rush and wanted to get the info up there, but I seriously thought I'd edited out all the ancillary financial information.

Second, the best idea I read yesterday for Cap/Avengers would be to have the Cap movie entirely taking place during WWII and ending with him being trapped in the ice, and then begin the Avengers movie with him being dragged out of it.
[Show]
Tony Stark as played by Robert Downey Jr. is making an appearance in the upcoming Hulk movie.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Momopi wrote:The best comic book movie possible would be Sandman - A Season of Mists storyline.
This or a Kingdom Come movie.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm looking forward to "The Boys" movie if it materializes.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I thought this movie was fantastic, Iron man was alway my favorite comic book. When RDJ was anounced as Tony Stark I thought he would be perfect and he was.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I never got too much into the comic book (or comic books period for that matter) but I want to see this.
One question though, was Tony Stark a heroin addict in the comics or something? I am just wondering why everyone thought Robert Downey Jr. was such a good fit.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Winnow wrote:I'm looking forward to "The Boys" movie if it materializes.
It'd be banned in the US.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Funkmasterr wrote:I never got too much into the comic book (or comic books period for that matter) but I want to see this.
One question though, was Tony Stark a heroin addict in the comics or something? I am just wondering why everyone thought Robert Downey Jr. was such a good fit.
A drunken womanizer.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I never got too much into the comic book (or comic books period for that matter) but I want to see this.
A drunken womanizer.
Close enough, I guess.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Yeah honestly when you see the way he portrays the character you will literally see the living persona of Tony Stark if he were a real person. Downey Jr. plays him perfectly.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I just came home from watching Iron Man, and it was great. I never cared for the comic, but RDJ was great as Stark.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Winnow wrote:I'm looking forward to "The Boys" movie if it materializes.
It'd be banned in the US.
Nah, it'd just be butchered so bad that it would be banned by fans.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Pun intended?
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Dregor Thule »

Indeed.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Saw it last night in Digital. Iron Man was the best superhero movie I've ever seen. Robert Downey Jr. was phenomenal. Jon Favreu did such a great job of mixing cool technology and action with comedy.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

noel wrote:Yeah honestly when you see the way he portrays the character you will literally see the living persona of Tony Stark if he were a real person. Downey Jr. plays him perfectly.
I thought I remembered Tony Stark being in a wheelchair, and the Iron Man suit granting him his mobility. Am I remembering that wrong, or was it just a temporary thing, or something that happened later on?

It could also be a confluence of bits and pieces of different comic books that I read back in the day. I know Professor X and I thought another X-Man were in wheelchairs.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Nah, Stark had a bad heart, and something about the chestpiece was a glorified pacemaker moreorless.
Don't remember him ever being in a wheelchair.

(disclaimer, that's the comic origin I recall.)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.toymania.com/archives/ironman/armor.html
Iron Man #231
Here's a great front view of this model armor by Bob Layton. Iron Man takes on the Mandarin in this and the following issue. But more importantly, issue 243 ends with Tony Stark being shot through the chest by Kathy Dare, his own personal stalker. With his spinal cord severed, Stark is confined to a wheelchair and we are told that "Tony Stark will never walk again." In following issues he spends more and more of the time in his cybernetically controlled armor, which allows him to walk. In issue 248 an experimental bio chip is implanted in Tony's back. It is an organic computer that "instructs" the cells to repair Stark's damaged spinal cord. By the end of the issue Stark is walking again. This is the armor featured in the Marvel Super-heroes "Quick Change Armor" Iron Man. The figure could have used the extra yellow paint on the chest plate and Stark wasn't sculpted with his late 1980s perm.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

It's quite possible that that storyline came in right in my comic book heyday, which was ~1990.

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Anyone else reading the new Invaders series that has the WWII Invaders (Cap, Bucky, Namor etc) coming through some time warp into modern day Manhattan fresh from fighting Krauts?
- Ash
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

This movie was fantastic! I'll probably see this a second time in digital before it leaves the theaters.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Thor will suck unless Carson Kressley is cast as the main character.

Cause Thor is ghey.

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Thor must be played by Technviking! (Look up the video, some funny shit)

Saw Iron Man on Saturday. Definately up there for my favorite Marvel adaptation this far. Jon Favreau absolutely nailed it.

I wanna go to the theaters to see this again good.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Siji wrote:Cause Thor is ghey.
You've got to be kidding me. Not only is Thor really cool, but he was the best part of Adventures in Babysitting.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Thor is cool; to suggest otherwise is uncool.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Thor was always my favorite. I think I have every issue of The Mighty Thor from when it switched over from Journey Into Mystery (#126ish) until I quit collecting around 400-425. My childhood dog was even named Thor.

They better not make the movie too lame, or I'll be very sad.

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/05 ... 4?GT1=7701

The list of release dates of some of the above movies, even Iron Man 2.
Fuck Michigan!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

noel wrote:
Siji wrote:Cause Thor is ghey.
You've got to be kidding me. Not only is Thor really cool, but he was the best part of Adventures in Babysitting.
:lol: awesome!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

http://www.austin360.com/news/content/s ... nform_artr
Howard: 'Iron Man' swap was a surprise
LOS ANGELES — Terrence Howard says he was surprised to learn that Don Cheadle would replace him in "Iron Man 2."

"It was the surprise of a lifetime," the actor and musician told National Public Radio on Tuesday. "There was no explanation, (the contract) just up and vanished."

Howard said he read news reports that money was the issue, saying the contracts he signs apparently "aren't worth the paper that they're printed on sometimes."

Cheadle assumes the role of James Rhodes, a character that becomes Iron Man's sidekick War Machine in the comics, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Robert Downey Jr. will reprise his role as weapons mogul Tony Stark.

Howard, who also starred in "Hustle & Flow," is promoting his new album "Shine Through It."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

All black people look the same.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

wtf, over
- Ash
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Sarcasm, over.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

That was to the news about Don Cheadle, not your remark, Spang
- Ash
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I feel like this story is getting a great deal of press for minor character being changed (unless his role was going to be a great deal bigger in iron man 2, but that's all speculation at this point).
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Ashur wrote:That was to the news about Don Cheadle, not your remark, Spang
That's a roger, out.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:I feel like this story is getting a great deal of press for minor character being changed (unless his role was going to be a great deal bigger in iron man 2, but that's all speculation at this point).

Him playing the War Machine role is what made it a bigger story IMO.