Exteel

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Exteel

Post by Animalor »

So NCsoft has gone live with Exteel.

The game is free to play. You gain in-game credits as you complete matches I figure the better you do, the more credits you get. You can use those credits to repair your mech after each battle(the base mech/weapons are indestructable). The kicker here is that some parts you can exclusively buy with NCCoin. You buy those with real cashmoney and certain mech parts are only purchasable with this currency. Your pilot levels up and there's some other stuff you can build up as well. Someone who wants a great mech and doesn't have a lot of time can drop 10-20 bucks can get a whole lot of really effective parts/weapons(nothing game-breakingly effective from the looks of things either but a tad more ornate than the in-game cash stuff). I haven't played a whole lot but I will be going back to this before too long.

It's essentially a mech combat game. CTF, Team Deathmatch, Territory grab etc etc multiplayer modes. It's fast paced, pretty fun and (imo) totally worth checking out.

The client is only 450MB as well. Most systems will be able to run this quite well.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Exteel

Post by miir »

Popped in for a few matches the last few nights.
I suck major at it but it's really quite fun.

I love giant robot games.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

miir wrote:Popped in for a few matches the last few nights.
I suck major at it but it's really quite fun.

I love giant robot games.
I took in a couple of games last night and I didn't completely suck at it. Took town a couple of people with the sword and shield combo but a lot of the games I played had people quite a few ranks above mine.

I was afraid that the repair costs on mechs would be huge but I played a match with the Frontliner(top row, 2nd column from the sets in the shop) and they wern't that bad. I barely grazed a 100k repair point kit that I bought for 5k at the shop.

If I were to classify this game, I would kinda slot it somewhere between Chromehounds lite meets Halo MP. The maps (that I've played) weren't overly compex either. Hopefully they come up with maps that are more complex and don't rely on each side being a mirror image of the other.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

My handle ingame is Miiir (with 3 i's).
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Mine is Rasken
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

got a link, ill give it a try?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm Truant.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hmm, can you guys download it? I tried to get the stupid installer from their FTP for 2 days now, but no result :(
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

That's where I d/l'd it from.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Maybe there's an issue with downloads outside North America?
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

I got it down no problem as well.

Not overly impressed though.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hmm, anyone who can throw it up somewhere? I still cant get to download it here :(
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I'm Vintyr.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I'm really enjoying this game.
The skill upgrades are quite cool in tailoring your mech/pilot to your chosen playstyle.

I play mostly CTF so my skills are geared for survivability and speed.
I use a SMG/Shotgun setup which is good for kiting and luring suckers away from their flag.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm back on the grid after a week of vacation. Will be most likely playing a lot of this over the next couple of days.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Finally got it down from another source, and been playing a little. Im level 3 now, and it seems quite fun. Havent thrown in any cash though, just bought a repair kit and a pair of arms for the mech, and are trying to save up for some better parts too.

Its fun and fast paced, BUT i noticed some wierd error, not sure its lag, but sometimes i could run around for 20-30 sec without being able to shoot. Could move, jump and so on just fine, but no luck on shooting or changing weapon sets :(
Last edited by Hesten on January 24, 2011, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Kaldaur.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

this reminds me of a game called Virtual-On. Arcade game which was from Sega, i think.. It was ported onto the Dreamcast too. Lots of fun

I played for a few hours yesterday. 2x Dual SMGs seems to be the best weapon config. All in all not a lot of skill involved.. just random chaos.

Also needs to be more ways to heal when idle. You die in a matter of seconds even if youre full health so it should really just heal you to full after a period of inactivity ala cover system FPS games. Those little regen pads are worthless.

I'll stick to CoD4 for my action fix :}
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You can buy weapons and skills that heal.
If you get in with a decent bunch of players, you'll find that there is some actual strategy to the team DM and CTF games.

But at it's core it's pretty much straight up no-brainer action.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I found meelee weapons to be the most overall effective weapon. They do massive damage, more than enough to make if for you having to get near the person.
In Last Stand, getting near a charging round of drones no matter if you are with guns or sword is nasty, but if you can get near the drones, they fall like flies.
Personally i upgraded arms (a little marksmanship, dont think i would have done that, now that i love my swords), booster (new booster helps a LOT, get the Dispenser one), and a better sword, saving up for an even better one.

Some skills might be worth saving up for, but i would say get weapons and better mech/parts first, since theyre not limited to 30 days.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

BAD Kaldaur, stop rejecting friendship invites :).

And rest of you, get on so i can get you invited :)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

haha. I only get to play a match or so every other day.

Currently I run with rifle/pistol and sword/shield. I've been wrecking in the low level games.

Making use of the range of the rifle is awesome...and you can spam it + the pistol if someone gets too close w/ good results.

First 2 things I bought were an upgraded booster and an upgraded sword. Haven't decided what else to buy yet.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Truant wrote:haha. I only get to play a match or so every other day.

Currently I run with rifle/pistol and sword/shield. I've been wrecking in the low level games.

Making use of the range of the rifle is awesome...and you can spam it + the pistol if someone gets too close w/ good results.

First 2 things I bought were an upgraded booster and an upgraded sword. Haven't decided what else to buy yet.
I checked around on the forums, and they reccomend the first thing to get are the booster, preferably the Dispenser one.
I run with a rifle (zeus) and pistol (splitter) combo, and then shield/sword (and 1 sword skill), and my next goals are to get an upgraded shield, and then heads and legs.

Btw, if you use Ncoins, just about everyone agree that the Ncoin parts/weapons suck, but you can buy paint and then scrap it for credits, and buy some of the better gear. 1 paint cost 20 Ncoins, and you get 2600 credits for it when scrapping, so you can get 130 credits pr ncoin.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Yeah I was planning on upgrading shield and then arms next, too.

I don't plan on ever buying Ncoins.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Experimented a lot with some of the weapons, and here are my findings:

Sword: NICE weapon, meelee are insanely damaging, find some unsuspecting sniper, and he'll die before he know whats going on. Mix with shield or a SMG. If you like meelee, get a better sword than the starter one as fast as possible.

Spears: More damaging than swords, but lower hit window. No clue on how they work, havent bought one yet.

SMG: Decent weapons, but need to get beam splitters or the like, the starter ones suck :)

Rifles: Zeus rifle rocks, it has way too high reload time, and overheat after 3 shots, BUT it can stun the opponent, deadly if you are in a team DM, stopping someones booster for a few seconds in the middle of a fight is NASTY.
Iron Curtain C is quite nice, same range as the Zeus, but more damage, and less overheat. Can usually kill an opponent off in 5-6 shots or so of both rifles.
In small areas like the arena, rifles are fairly bad, since you dont have the range needed, but in just about any other fight, they are GREAT for ranged attacks. I found them to be really nice in Team Deathmatch, just stand behind your teammates, move back when they do, and weaken the opponents. You might not get the kills, but assist give nice points too. I got 13 assists in 5 minutes of a Team DM, just because rifles do enough damage that even opponents that get away usually give you an assist when someone kill them.

Cannons: Suck. Suck. Suck. They are good IF you got a whole team standing in front of you, but low rate of fire, no bullet trace , and no splash damage mean you get max 1 kill pr shot. In a Last Stand i managed to kill 2 drones, when i was the first on the scene, i usually get 9+ if I'm the first to arrive. Maybe higher quality cannons are better, but i wont buy them.

Rockets: No clue, no cash for one yet.

Shotguns: Again no clue, but would love to try and pair one up with a sword and see how it goes, but i got a skill that require sword + shield, so maybe ill try it after my skill run out.

Shields: Depend on what you are up agains. The starter shield are good against seige weapons, which are maybe 0.0005% of what i get hit with when i try to meelee. I changed mine to a force shield to block SMG fire, since people mainly use those for close combat, and you wanna just fly in and chop them to pieces with a sword.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Game looked interesting, so I dumped $20 into it and got lots of gear. Im currently in love with rifle/rifle. I put my gear towards marksmanship, scan range, and booster energy. When someone comes at me, I just boost away like crazy while shooting them down to death. My alt is smg/smg, because sometimes people will catch up to me. Right now I'm only level 10. However that gear I bought must have made a big difference, because in almost every team dm or area control game, I will finish in with a ratio no worse than 22/8. My account name is sionistic.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Sionistic wrote:Game looked interesting, so I dumped $20 into it and got lots of gear. Im currently in love with rifle/rifle. I put my gear towards marksmanship, scan range, and booster energy. When someone comes at me, I just boost away like crazy while shooting them down to death. My alt is smg/smg, because sometimes people will catch up to me. Right now I'm only level 10. However that gear I bought must have made a big difference, because in almost every team dm or area control game, I will finish in with a ratio no worse than 22/8. My account name is sionistic.
Wow, 22/8, thats really nice, im usually happy if i got more kills than deaths :).
What parts do you use btw? I mixed some various parts, and spend skill points on HP and markmanship.

Btw, scan range? Why bother? All you can do with it are to see a who are who from a little longer away, but if you use rifles you can see it before they get into firing range anyway. PLEASE dont use skill points on it, and dont go for it when buying equipment, just count it as a bonus if its on a piece of gear you want anyway :)

Im planning to buy another Iron Curtain rifle and try 2 of those instead of Iron Curtain/Zeus, since they got more damage/firing range/lower overheat that Zeus, just no stun effect.

To be fair, i SUCK at online shooters, and never played online with others unless it was good friends, so severely out of training :)
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

My strategy is to keep the enemy as far away from me as I can. With scan range and marksman, they just cant effectively return fire.

I stick to whatever gives me good boost, energy, hp, and scan range. I dont remember much of the names, I use some hellfire and such. I use sonic boosters to give me tons of boosting power. Keeps me far from the enemy and helps me get into certain spots. I abuse rechargers, since my motto in online shooters is RUSH RUSH RUSH. I usually end up killing a lot but dying a lot.

Is it just me or do the offensive skills suck completely for offense, but rock for defense? I will boost like crazy getting to the fight, do my damage, switch to smg/smg and leave. Now usually when I need to leave i have no energy left, running away without boost usually equals death. So I use my skill to avoid damage (it seems like you cant get hurt in the middle of a skill) and by that time Ive gained enough energy to boost out. Since I build tons of boost energy, I can dodge like crazy if the enemy was smart enough to wait for the skill to end, and jet my ass out of there, which by then my rifles have cooled down :)

I almost never kill with my skills. They just dont seem like very devastating attacks. I am also quite disappointed that there is no rifle/rifle skill. Then again I havent felt like I needed one.

I also started reading some of the exteel forums. Apparently the rifles I use (zeus D) are notorious and a bit overpowered. I guess that explains some of it. They are just so damn fun to use! If there is any kind of nerf I might trade out one for an Iron curtain.