The Day RIM feared is here...

Support, Discussion, Reviews
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The Day RIM feared is here...

Post by noel »

Push email on the iPhone. Cisco VPN client. Exchange server connectivity. Up until now, the iPhone wasn't an alternative to the Blackberry, but it is now.

If only they could find a way to unlink themselves from AT&T and add better high-speed data connectivity (3G etc.).

Apple Insider wrote:Apple announces iPhone 2.0 software and SDK beta

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 03:15 PM EST

Apple on Thursday held a media event at its Cupertino headquarters where it previewed its iPhone 2.0 software, scheduled for release this June, and announced the immediate availability of a beta release of the software to selected developers and enterprise customers.

The iPhone 2.0 beta release includes both the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) as well as new enterprise features such as support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync to provide secure, over-the-air push email, contacts and calendars as well as remote wipe, and the addition of Cisco IPsec VPN for encrypted access to private corporate networks.

"We’re excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community with potentially thousands of native applications for iPhone and iPod touch,” said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "iPhone’s enterprise features combined with its revolutionary Multi-Touch user interface and advanced software architecture provide the best user experience and the most advanced software platform ever for a mobile device."

Developers gain access to same APIs as Apple

The iPhone SDK will provide developers with a rich set of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and tools to create applications for both the iPhone and iPod touch. Starting today, anyone can download the beta iPhone SDK for free and run the iPhone Simulator on their Mac. Apple also introduced its new iPhone Developer Program, giving developers everything they need to create native applications, and the new App Store, which will allow those developers to wirelessly deliver their applications to iPhone and iPod touch users.

With the iPhone SDK, third party developers will be able to build native applications for the iPhone with the same set of rich APIs that Apple has been using to develop its own iPhone software, including programming interfaces for Core OS, Core Services, Media and Cocoa Touch technologies. Those APIs will allow developers to create applications that leverage the iPhone’s Multi-Touch user interface, animation technology, large storage, built-in three-axis accelerometer and geographical location technology to deliver innovative mobile applications.

Apple licenses Exchange ActiveSync from Microsoft

Apple also announced that it has licensed Exchange ActiveSync from Microsoft and is building it right into the iPhone, so that the handset will connect out-of-the-box to Microsoft Exchange Servers 2003 and 2007 for secure over-the-air push email, contacts, calendars and global address lists.

Built-in Exchange ActiveSync support also enables security features such as remote wipe, password policies and auto-discovery. In addition, the iPhone 2.0 software supports Cisco IPsec VPN to ensure the highest level of IP-based encryption available for transmission of sensitive corporate data, as well as the ability to authenticate using digital certificates or password-based, multi-factor authentication. The addition of WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1x authentication enables enterprise customers to deploy iPhone and iPod touch with the latest standards for protection of Wi-Fi networks.

Furthermore, Apple said the iPhone 2.0 software will provide a configuration utility that allows IT administrators to easily and quickly set up many iPhones, including password policies, VPN setting, installing certificates, email server settings and more. Once the configuration is defined it can be easily and securely delivered via web link or email to the user. To install, all the user has to do is authenticate with a user ID or password, download the configuration and tap install. Once installed, the user will have access to all their corporate IT services.

The Apple "App Store"

The iPhone 2.0 software release will contain the App Store, a new application that lets users browse, search, purchase and wirelessly download third party applications directly onto their iPhone or iPod touch, and will enable developers to reach every iPhone and iPod touch user.

Developers will be able to set the price for their applications -- or make their applications free -- and retain 70 percent of all sales revenues. Users can download free applications at no charge to either the user or developer, or purchase priced applications with just one click. Enterprise customers will be able to create a secure, private page on the App Store accessible only by their employees. Apple will cover all credit card, web hosting, infrastructure and DRM costs associated with offering applications on the App Store. However, all third party iPhone and iPod touch applications must be approved by Apple and no Apps will be authorized for distribution outside the App Store.

The iPhone development envoirnment

In addition to the rich set of iPhone OS APIs, the iPhone SDK also provides advanced tools for creating native iPhone and iPod touch applications including: Xcode for source code editing, project management and graphical debugging; Interface Builder with drag and drop interface creation and live preview; Instruments to monitor and optimize iPhone application performance in real time; and the iPhone Simulator to run and debug applications.

During the beta iPhone SDK program, a limited number of developers will be accepted into Apple’s new iPhone Developer Program and offered the ability to get code onto iPhones for testing. The Standard Program costs $99 (US) per year and gives members an iPhone SDK and development tools; access to pre-release iPhone software; technical support; the ability to get code onto iPhones for testing; and distribution of applications via the new App Store. The Enterprise Program costs $299 (US) per year. All developers will also be issued a digital certificate that will be embedded into their applications, assuring that Apple can track all applications and prevent malicious software from infecting users' phones.

In addition to these new iPhone network and security features, the beta iPhone 2.0 software provides several new Mail features such as the ability to view PowerPoint attachments, in addition to Word and Excel, as well as the ability to mass delete and move email messages.

Pricing & Availability

Apple plans to release the final iPhone 2.0 software, including the iPhone SDK and new enterprise features, as a free software update for all iPhone customers by the end of June.

Third party applications created for the iPhone will also run on the iPod touch, and iPod touch users will be required to purchase a software update to run these applications.

The free beta iPhone SDK is available immediately worldwide and can be downloaded at here. The iPhone Developer Program will initially be available in the US and will expand to other countries in the coming months. Apple is accepting applications beginning today from enterprise customers who would like to join the private iPhone Enterprise Beta Program.

Additional details and a full compilation of notes from today's presentation are available here.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Re: The Day RIM feared is here...

Post by Siji »

Are iPhones more affordable yet? Can the batteries be replaced by the user? I paid $99 for my 8300 Blackberry.. I haven't looked recently, but last time I saw an iPhone price it was $299? No thanks. There'd have to be some pretty good business reasons to switch from an installed BES environment to Apple - especially when like you said, it's AT&T only.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Siji wrote:Are iPhones more affordable yet? Can the batteries be replaced by the user? I paid $99 for my 8300 Blackberry.. I haven't looked recently, but last time I saw an iPhone price it was $299? No thanks. There'd have to be some pretty good business reasons to switch from an installed BES environment to Apple - especially when like you said, it's AT&T only.
I'm sorry... are you comparing an iPhone to an 8300? In what way is that a relevant comparison? How about comparing it to an 8800 which retails for $300-$400? How is the price difference between those two even remotely relevant? Affordable for you or your organization isn't necessarily affordable to someone else and their organization.

Also, I've been using Blackberries exclusively for the last four years; I had an 8700c and now an 8830 world edition. Both had/have removable batteries that I've... never needed to remove. I don't see the user-serviceable battery (they are removable/replacable... takes about 5 minutes) as a deal-breaker in any way.

As far as needing a good business reason... why? You don't need to add anything to use the Apple solution. That was kind of the point of me posting it. It's a BETTER solution than the Blackberry one... I've LOVED my Blackberries, but this makes the Apple solution more attractive. AT&T already has a Blackberry offering. Now AT&T installs can add iPhones by doing virtually nothing and potentially not have to pay for a BES down the road which last I checked costs an organization money.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

noel wrote:I don't see the user-serviceable battery (they are removable/replacable... takes about 5 minutes) as a deal-breaker in any way.
Mailing an Iphone off to Apple to replace a battary is unacceptable IMO. Besides the pain and risk of mailing it off, the simple prospect of being without your cellphone for a single day is enough to put some people into fits, much less for days and days. My wife relies on her blackberry like a third hand for her job. When her phone arrived from her company, it included the original battery as well as 2 additional extra life replacable/rechargables. When your Iphone dies, well, it just dies.

A user serviceable battery is an absolute deal breaker for me, as well as many people I know. It is probably the single biggest reason I refuse to get an Iphone, right behind the AT&T exclusivity, the high cost, and the better/cheaper alternatives that can do everything the Iphone can only better.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

"If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead. That's a shit life." - Demetri Martin
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Windows Mobile Devices use the same Push e-mail scheme and last I heard, it's pretty bandwidth intensive. I was looking over my company's bell bills and out Blackberry users average about 2-3 MB a month with the biggest user clocking in at 6MB.

If buying an iPhone means getting clocked with outrageous Data fees every month, then I'm not sure companies will go for it.

I also suspect that most companies aren't expecially keen on having their staff load up company iPhones with MP3's/videos they may not own. There are some liabilities there. Same goes for the possibility of data theft when you allow your people to use a 4/8GB phone that has sync abilities.

There's also the issue of having to install iTunes on company systems or making it part of a corporate image. Activesync isn't really invasive. iTunes moreso. Not something I find appealing in the least.

I'm not really looking to shit all over the iPhone with this. I LIKE the device personally. I administer our Blackberry fleet/Blackberry Server/Mobile infrastructure as a whole. I'm just looking at it through the eyes of someone who would maybe have to implement it on a company-wide basis.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sometimes I really think I live in a different world than you guys.

Most of my friends and I who have either Windows Mobile devices or Blackberries through our companies all have unlimited data plans.

There are Apple stores all over the place around me, and if I had an iPhone, I could take it in there and have them do a battery swap (which again I fail to see the need for) in front of me. I'm quite certain an IT staff would be able to do that type of change for you as well. The battery thing is just a non-issue for me. I'd rather have a device with a smaller-size and a non-user serviceable battery.

The iTunes comment, I understand and agree with, but I think there are markets and businesses-- The entertainment industry comes to mind-- that wouldn't care at all.

I also think that whether or not you like the iPhone or iTunes, shouldn't prevent you from being impressed with yesterday's announcement from Apple, but since clearly everyone here hates Apple, I'll stop wasting your time with this shit.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Sprint has a "simply everything" plan. For $99.99 you get unlimited everything.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I am actually extremely impressed. I just hope that Apple is integrating the iPhone's sync features exactly like Windows Mobile Devices with their own UI's of course.
As for data plans, most of my users here are on a 4GB plan from Bell. 25$/mo and the Blackberries rarely go above that.

I think the standard plan for unlimited data from both Bell and Rogers is 60$ a month for business if I'm not mistaken.

Did Apple demo sync functionality yesterday or did they just announce it?
Personally I'm really interested in it.
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

i like apple!...i have an iphone and i can't wait to start seeing what people do with the SDK shit.

soon as the 3G iphones come out i'll be buying one upon release.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The nearest Apple store (Istore?) is about 1.5 hour drive for me in Grand Rapids. I went there once with a friend and, well, I'll just keep my comments to myself. I didn't mean to derail your thread. Hey, I like the Iphone. It's a cool gadget for certian.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

A 3G iPhone would rock! I am currently using a Blackberry Pearl, which I really enjoy now that I figured out how to type on the fucking thing. Only downside is EDGE network is rather slow to me since I had used 3G previously.

I too am interested to see what comes out of the offered SDK.
en kærlighed småkager
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

noel wrote:are you comparing an iPhone to an 8300? In what way is that a relevant comparison? How about comparing it to an 8800 which retails for $300-$400? How is the price difference between those two even remotely relevant? Affordable for you or your organization isn't necessarily affordable to someone else and their organization.
I was comparing the availability of lower priced Blackberry phones to the single one and only (over)price of the iPhone.
noel wrote:Both had/have removable batteries that I've... never needed to remove.
The need to replace batteries for you or your organization isn't necessarily the same need for someone else and their organization.
noel wrote:I don't see the user-serviceable battery (they are removable/replacable... takes about 5 minutes) as a deal-breaker in any way.
Perhaps you don't, but some people like having a spare battery to pop into their device when the current one gets low or even purchasing aftermarket higher mAh batteries. It's called versatility and convenience.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

noel wrote:Sometimes I really think I live in a different world than you guys.
It's called California.
- Ash
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ashur wrote:
noel wrote:Sometimes I really think I live in a different world than you guys.
It's called California.
I just wanted to say that I looked at where he was from when I read that and thought the exact same thing!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Example: Ohio has 3 Apple Stores. California has 38.

I could see where you might think we couldn't walk to the mailbox without tripping over an Apple Store, but they aren't that commonplace.

Also, I think it's "neat" but to me the big attraction of the Blackberry is the keyboard. I have an LG Chocolate and the whole HUD concept (on it, at least) isn't ready. Too finicky and easy to break.
- Ash
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Ashur wrote:Example: Ohio has 3 Apple Stores. California has 38.

I could see where you might think we couldn't walk to the mailbox without tripping over an Apple Store, but they aren't that commonplace.

Also, I think it's "neat" but to me the big attraction of the Blackberry is the keyboard. I have an LG Chocolate and the whole HUD concept (on it, at least) isn't ready. Too finicky and easy to break.
The California comment is totally true. The organization I currently work for is located in NJ. When I said it was a different world, bear in mind I have a lot of friends in the entertainment industry here in California and a couple who work for law firms who can request any phone they want at any time. California, specifically Southern California, is no doubt a different world from any other place in the US except for maybe NY.

The different world comment was also in reference to my perception that no one was impressed with Apple's announcement based on the comments in this thread at that point. I don't own an iPhone, and don't plan to own one as long as the company I'm working for is paying for a Blackberry, but as a network engineer/former systems engineer and technologist, I was really impressed with the direction they're going with the iPhone. Prior to yesterday's announcement, the iPhone was a great personal device (minus the handful of caveats which are important to SOME), but not really viable in a true corporate environment. Now it is.

I do know the Apple stores aren't that common outside of Cali. The point is still that it's 5 minutes of work for something I haven't needed to do in the last 10 years of using/owning cell phones. Granted I've been handed a brand new one every 3 years or so, and I also always have a home/car charger handy, so again a different world where removable batteries aren't needed or wanted.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Our company laid down a strict policy that we will not support any mobile device that isn't using Windows Mobile. We have had to tell Blackberry and iPhone users that we can not help them get email on these devices as they do not have windows mobile on them. If there is a work around for the iPhone where they can connect to Exchange with little or no trouble then we may have to support them.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Seems it will use ActiveSync just like windows mobile. Bravo, Apple, but I still won't buy an iPhone...

Windows Mobile is less than 3.

That's <3.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

My company only allows Blackberrys that they provide to management to synch anything (not even calendars, they actually run software that seeks out and deletes synch software I understand). You either get it all for free on the company dime or you get the shaft.

I get the shaft.
- Ash
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Just wanted to add my take on the battery issue.

I have NEVER replaced a battery in any cell phone I have ever owned (or needed to for that matter). AND to be perfectly honest. I always have trouble with the battery casing working itself open, causing the battery to fall out and powering down my phone while it's in my pocket, or wherever.

I'd prefer my phones to have a built in, not easily disconectible battery.

But some of you are just going to cry because you enjoy it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Truant wrote:Just wanted to add my take on the battery issue.

I have NEVER replaced a battery in any cell phone I have ever owned (or needed to for that matter). AND to be perfectly honest. I always have trouble with the battery casing working itself open, causing the battery to fall out and powering down my phone while it's in my pocket, or wherever.

I'd prefer my phones to have a built in, not easily disconectible battery.

But some of you are just going to cry because you enjoy it.

I agree with the lame battery whining.

My current phone's battery is being held in place by a big piece of clear packing tape wrapped around my phone to hold it in place because the clip broke off. I've had this phone for a few years and the battery works fine except for the fact that it's removable and will fall out without my ghetto tape job.

I've owned three ipods now and have had no battery issues. I wish the iTouch battery lasted longer but when you have a large screen and watch videos, that's just wishful thinking at the moment. It lasts a long time in audio mode and a couple hours in video.