What do you think about the world?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Obama inhaled

Post by Fash »

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1
MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - Presidential hopeful Barack Obama on Tuesday told high school students that when he was their age he was hardly a model student, experimenting with illegal drugs and drinking alcohol.

Obama stopped by a study hall at Manchester Central High School and answered students' questions about the war in Iraq and his education plan. But when an adult asked about his time as a student, Obama spoke bluntly.

"I will confess to you, I was kind of a goof-off in high school. My Mom reminds me of that," said Obama, an Illinois Democrat who grew up in Hawaii

"You know, I made some bad decisions that I've actually written about. You know, got into drinking. I experimented with drugs," he said. "There was a whole stretch of time that I didn't really apply myself a lot. It wasn't until I got out of high school and went to college that I started realizing, 'Man, I wasted a lot of time.'"

Obama has written about his drug use in his memoir, "Dreams from My Father."

"Junkie. Pothead. That's where I'd been headed: the final fatal role of the young would be black man," Obama wrote. Mostly he smoked marijuana and drank alcohol, Obama wrote, but occasionally he would snort cocaine when he could afford it.

Drugs, Obama wrote, were a way he "could push questions of who I was out of my mind, something that could flatten out the landscape of my heart, blur the edges of my memory."

Obama told students he developed his sense of social justice at college—he attended Occidental College in Los Angeles for two years before transferring to Columbia University in New York. Before he got to Columbia, he said, he lived a naive life.

"I went to high school in Hawaii, so there was a lot of opportunity to goof off because the weather is really good all the time," he said. "I did well in school, but I didn't really apply myself. I did what I needed to do to get into college and it came fairly easily to me."

His biggest interest was in sports and girls.

"I was big on basketball. We were state champs. I thought I was better than I was," said Obama, who finds time on the campaign trail to still play a pickup game.

He then added: "I thought about girls a lot, I won't lie."
I have a lot of respect for his being able to admit and discuss this. No bullshit like "but i didn't inhale" and even more shocking in mentioning cocaine. I see this as a positive, human, thing.. but wonder what kind of traction any attacks would get from opponents on this issue.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Re: Obama inhaled

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

He might have just won my vote with that honesty.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Fash wrote:I have a lot of respect for his being able to admit and discuss this. No bullshit like "but i didn't inhale" and even more shocking in mentioning cocaine. I see this as a positive, human, thing.. but wonder what kind of traction any attacks would get from opponents on this issue.
I can't imagine it getting a ton of traction. None of it is news, if I remember correctly this book was out before he ever announced any intention of running for President. I also like his honesty.

I wonder what the ratio is of voters who have at least tried an illegal drug to those who haven't.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I genuinely think he's a good person (I could be wrong), and it would be interesting to have such a thing as president for a change.. but I also don't have enough faith in this country that such a thing would happen.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Sylvus wrote:
Fash wrote:I have a lot of respect for his being able to admit and discuss this. No bullshit like "but i didn't inhale" and even more shocking in mentioning cocaine. I see this as a positive, human, thing.. but wonder what kind of traction any attacks would get from opponents on this issue.
I can't imagine it getting a ton of traction. None of it is news, if I remember correctly this book was out before he ever announced any intention of running for President. I also like his honesty.

I wonder what the ratio is of voters who have at least tried an illegal drug to those who haven't.
If you count alcohol as being an illegal drug to a minor... everyone?
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Leonaerd wrote:
Sylvus wrote:

If you count alcohol as being an illegal drug to a minor... everyone?
I don't think it would count in this context. My wife was the first person I'd ever met who hadn't smoked weed at some point in their life.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

Actually I'm not sure that I ever did have any illegal alchohol in my youth. The little alchohol I did have was always parentally administered, so to speak- half glass of wine at thanksgiving/christmas, a taste of my dads beer, and gin-and-tonic to see what they were like, that kind of thing. Was probably helped by english law that permits drinking in pubs and things at 16+ with supervision, mind you. Never done pot either, although that was mainly because I had never figured out how to inhale without choking to death while trying cigarettes. And by the time I had access to other things I was intellectually off the idea of drugs due to events with some of my friends. Random luck of the draw, basically.
Warheart
No Stars!

Post by Warheart »

Damn did you miss out, you must have had a shitty youth.
Like Cancer, I usually come back.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I heard on the radio today that Obama is leading Hillary in the Iowa polls, also that Hillary is slipping vs Republican candidates.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Warheart wrote:Damn did you miss out, you must have had a shitty youth.
That's a shitty thing to say to someone. When I read her comments, it sounds like she is very pleased with her youth. Because she didn't revel in alcohol and drugs, she must have had a shitty youth? What the fuck is wrong with you?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
That's a shitty thing to say to someone. When I read her comments, it sounds like she is very pleased with her youth. Because she didn't revel in alcohol and drugs, she must have had a shitty youth? What the fuck is wrong with you?
I didn't exactly party hard during high school but the few times I did get drunk it was a very fun and memorable occasion. Perhaps Warheart was taking a similar angle.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Leonaerd wrote:
I didn't exactly party hard during high school but the few times I did get drunk it was a very fun and memorable occasion. Perhaps Warheart was taking a similar angle.
I did too Leo, but I wouldn't think less of someone who didn't. That's all I'm saying.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Midnight is correct in this matter.

Alcohol or drugs are not required for having fun as a youth.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Pretty sure that was sarcasm, but for the record: what the fuck is wrong with you?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That doesn't mean alcohol can't be part of fun activities though!

Ah, Spaten Brau (umlauts not included!), the best of the Octoberfest Munich beers!
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

Am I th only one that took a while to read Winnows post or look at the beers?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Somali wrote:Am I th only one that took a while to read Winnows post or look at the beers?
You sure it was the beers you were looking at? I know damn well I was looking at something else :)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Winnow wrote:That doesn't mean alcohol can't be part of fun activities though!

Ah, Spaten Brau (umlauts not included!), the best of the Octoberfest Munich beers!
Where did that picture come from? I know I have seen it somewhere before.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:That doesn't mean alcohol can't be part of fun activities though!

I've had way too much of the Spaten Oktoberfest this year...good stuff.
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

When I read her comments, it sounds like she is very pleased with her youth. Because she didn't revel in alcohol and drugs, she must have had a shitty youth?
Nah, it was mostly a pretty good youth (not great, but decent), but it was mostly in foreign countries where drugs were not available, and mostly islamic countries at that, where alchohol was not freely available either. Mostly the only alchohol available was the stuff imported by the families as part of their comfort shipments that the company arranged for them twice a year, so you couldnt just sneak off to the liquor store with your old-looking friend with a fake ID and buy booze, which puts a severe crimp in emulating the current booze-fueled party scene in the states thats prevalant these days... :P And after that I was at a boarding school for 2/3 of each year, not exactly conducive to partying either.
Warheart
No Stars!

Post by Warheart »

There's no way I would have made it through High School without alchohol and bud.
Like Cancer, I usually come back.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

That was 'almost' a necro post. But...

Spaten Munchen Optimador is good shit.
Sick Balls!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't know why, but every time I see this picture I think of the scene in, "A beautiful Mind" when John Nash discovers the non-cooperative equilibria. (Nash Equilibrium)

"If all three of us go for the girl with her head buried in the beer mug, we might all get laid, or none of get laid, but she'll be passed out for sure by 8pm leaving us to find other arrangements."

"If we concentrate on the two "sippers" there's a much better chance that one of us will come away with the prize."

"I that happens, the remaining men should immediately switch into Wingman mode.
Nash: I find you very attractive. Your aggressive moves toward me indicate that you feel the same way. But still, ritual requires that we go through a number of platonic activities before we

[brief pause]

Nash: have sex. I'm simply proceeding with those activities. But in point of actual fact, all I really want to do is have intercourse with you as soon as possible. You're gonna slap me now.
(I just wanted to repost that pick again)
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Yeah, I love that about Obama. He is fucking honest, which is a rare rare commodity in politics today. Maybe rare in politics ever. He has the balls to say, "Yeah, I smoked weed, I drank, I did coke and look at where I am today." Instead of most other politicians who try to say "Drugs are bad! Evil! Only degenerates and criminals use drugs!!!!" While most of them have probably at least tried some sort of drug in their life. It wouldnt surprise me if some politicians are addicted to drugs atm.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

But what has he done to qualify him for the presidency of the United States? Honsessissitty? Because you like him? He tawk purdy?

Oh I know, because he campaigns on change. Well Communism would be a change. So would a monarchy. Change what? Has he ever even said?
Sick Balls!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Change from a country run by bubbleheaded fuckwits supported by a disturbingly large amount of less rich bubbleheaded fuckwits to a country run by someone with half a brain. It's quite obvious to anyone who's bothered to listen instead of getting caught up in the usual mishmash of bullshit that qualifies for journalism these days.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Has he ever even said?
Yes and if you took the time to actually listen or read his statements on particular issues then you wouldn't have to speak or ask questions out of your gaping abyss of an asshole.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:Yeah, I love that about Obama. He is fucking honest, which is a rare rare commodity in politics today. Maybe rare in politics ever. He has the balls to say, "Yeah, I smoked weed, I drank, I did coke and look at where I am today." Instead of most other politicians who try to say "Drugs are bad! Evil! Only degenerates and criminals use drugs!!!!" While most of them have probably at least tried some sort of drug in their life. It wouldnt surprise me if some politicians are addicted to drugs atm.
I like the act of Obama too, but let's not get razy thinking he's honest. He act's honest, sure. He is still a politician scum bag. Look up how he go into his first elected office. He's no different. Just actually listen to one of his many speeches. He never says anything. But, he says nothing really well and in an uplifting manner.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

He never says anything? Are you deaf? That may explain a lot of the last few years of your postings....somewhat.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Guess that's why rhetoric speaches work, some people just dont understand that he said nothing with all those words. Probably just injecting their own hopes and dreams into the speach.
Sick Balls!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I disagree with Obama on many things. I do know his stances and what he believes. Hell, I've even read his book (I had to in my English Composition class, wtf). He comes across as a truly good man who wants to make a positive change in our country. He seems not only honest but like he has high morals. He may not know exactly what he wants to do, or how to do it lol, but I think he will work hard to do the best he can for our country. I cannot say that about any other candidate (except Ron Paul who had my 100% full support, but he can't be nominated now, and he wont run 3rd party and Kucinich but he dropped out).