NFL 2007 Playoff Predictions - Super Bowl

What do you think about the sports world?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: NFL 2007 Playoff Predictions - Conference Championships

Post by noel »

Tyek wrote:The NFL must be ecstatic. They have the Patriots going for perfection, and either Farve making one more run at the title, or Eli trying to escape the shadow of Peyton. Should be a very widely watched Super Bowl this year.
Also, the Giants/Pats game was the first game ever to be simulcast on three networks and was one hell of a game. If it does end up being the Giants v. Pats, it'll be very interesting.

Edit: Favre's play tonight has not been great. :(

Edit2: Didn't see that coming.

Two Superbowl's in a row for the Manning family!
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Grats to the Giants! wow, what a game!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Favre blew it for the Pack!

Patriots win by 17 in the Super Bowl.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

noel wrote:Well done is better than well said. - Tom Brady
Did he really just coin this phrase offhand? Because it's a really good phrase.

I'm excited for the Super Bowl. It's been a pretty decent season.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sueven wrote:
noel wrote:Well done is better than well said. - Tom Brady
Did he really just coin this phrase offhand? Because it's a really good phrase.

I'm excited for the Super Bowl. It's been a pretty decent season.
I believe he was quoting Benjamin Franklin.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Both amazing games. Should be a damn good Super Bowl. Giants win by 4.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Pats by... a lot. I don't think it's going to be a very good game at all, unless you're a Pats fan that enjoys watching a blow out.
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Warm weather makes Randy Moss smile. 2 long TD's, 1 short to Welker, and a F-U TD on a halfback option pass by Faulk. Eli gets happy feet, runs backward, and throws 3 picks.

Final Score
35-12

Animale
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Pats and Chargers: I was kinda bored with it. Just seemed to lack something. I know the wind was a factor coupled with some cold but Brady didn't look like the bionic man he has throughout the year. Chargers kept it tighter than I thought they would.

Giants and Packers: whoa. Thats why I love cold weather football. Intense. Favre didn't have his best day but the Giants D showed up smelling blood. Eli did what he had to again and played mistake free. A couple fucky calls by the officials (wtf was with no booth review on the almost Packer INT at the end of the first half and the roughing call that gave the Packers the last TD was beyond weak) but it seemed both ways. I wonder how hard everyone on the Giants sideline was crossing their fingers when Tynes went out there after 2 misses...

Superbowl, unless something major happens before, I think it will be ugly. The Giants have been road warriors but I'm with the guys that think the conditions in a dome will be to the Pats advantage: they've got the juicier offense and the cold in Foxborough never let it show a couple weeks ago. I think the pass rush of the Giants gives them, realistically about the best chance of any of the other post season teams, but the Pats are on a mission. The other thing was post game reactions - the Giants seemed a lot higher than the Pats. It was "We did it! No one believed we'd be here!" vs "OK cool,we won this one, but we're not done yet" and I wonder if that could be the case come game time. I'll be pulling for the Giants but I think NE puts the exclamation on their perfect season.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

We in Green Bay are still numb after Sunday night and not from the bitter cold. I think what pisses me off the most is the fact that we had our running back run for over 200 yards the week before and then we only ran the ball a total of 14 times in this last game. WTF is that about. Also, it was obvious that Al Harris couldn't cover Burress so why didn't they give the guy some help?

I give a lot of credit to the Giants though. Manning played a great game. I guess if there has to be a silver lining I would say it is Strahan going to the Superbowl. I like that guy. I will be hoping and praying for a Giants victory but fear that the Pats might be too much.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: NFL 2007 Playoff Predictions - Super Bowl

Post by Aslanna »

Saw this recently while browsing about:
Plaxico Burress predicts the Giants will win Super Bowl XLII 23-17. Co-owner Steve Tisch already guaranteed a Giants win, and Michael Strahan said Monday that "history will be ours."
So if you're the betting sort there you have it. Put all your money on the Giants. I hope that guarantee is more guaranteed that the one Pittsburg gave.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Based on Plaxico's recent guarantee, I am going with the Pats in an easy victory.

42-17
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

I saw some of the reports hyping this "guarantee" and I'm of the same mind as Strahan when asked about this "whats he supposed to say? That we're gonna lose?" The have to believe in themselves or they have no business being there, and to be honest they've been pretty impressive to get to Arizona. That doesn't mean I think they're gonna win although I am pulling for them.

To me a more interesting thing is the Shockey situation. You have an all-star calibre TE who's injured, hasn't been going to the post season games and is known to be a bit of a media flake/disruption and shoots from the lip about things regarding the team. Add to this his replacement has played pretty decent since he went down. Firstly does he deserve a ring/be noted as part of the team if they win? Convention says yes, he helped them get to the playoffs in the first place even if he hasn't been involved in the past 6-7 weeks or so when they really seem to have turned from a decent team into the best in the NFC. Second, based on the way Kevin Boss has filled in and the way the rest of the team has picked it up with him out of the locker, do you get rid of Shockey before next season, and say "enough is enough"?
Wulfran Moondancer
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Get rid of Shockey. They're a much better team without him. After the Giants beat the Patriots, he'll still get a ring regardless of deservedness.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Before I give my opinion (I hate Shockey), could someone clue me in on Shockey's blocking abilities (very good if I recall) vs Kevin Boss's blocking ability (no clue)? I would have to assume similar because the running game has been pretty solid (know that from fantasy). Another question: in which game did Shockey get injured, and how did Eli play before and after that game?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Archie Manning's sperm needs enshrined into the football hall of fame.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Well, the Pats Coach Bill Hoody Bellichek (spelling?) showed his true class there at the end. Gratz Eli, enjoy being a hero for a few weeks before your a bum in New York again.

Great ending, the only downside is I have to listen to Mercury Morris tell everyone how great his 72 Dolphins still are.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Eli breaking 3 tackles and Tyree managing to catch that ball was the play of the year by far. Probably top 10 of all time.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Great ending, the only downside is I have to listen to Mercury Morris tell everyone how great his 72 Dolphins still are.
Well, I guess the Dolphins are still the only undefeated team :)

BTW, I just watched that Superbowl game last night for the first time...omg was that a boring game hehe.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Both amazing games. Should be a damn good Super Bowl. Giants win by 4.
Close enough. Great damned game.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Spang wrote:Archie Manning's sperm needs enshrined into the football hall of fame.

LOL
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Wulfran wrote:Superbowl, unless something major happens before, I think it will be ugly...
...I'll be pulling for the Giants but I think NE puts the exclamation on their perfect season.
Damn sometimes I love being wrong!!! Giants pass rush was incredible (hard to just give an MVP to the front 7 but I thought they were the reason more than anything else for the win). The game may not have been great in terms of 60 minutes of thrill but they did what they had to do and was a great final 5 minutes. I loved that the first thing Plaxico Burress said to Pam Oliver was "when is somebody gonna give our defense some credit?"; says something about the feeling of team chemistry when guys stick up for each other like that. I did think the Giants were done when Moss caught that last NE TD but I was happy to be wrong there too! Thought Strahan's shot about how they had confidence in themselves not "misplaced confidence" was hillarious (was it just a shot at Terry/Howie/Jimmy in the pregame or did other people say it too?).

As for knocking Bellichek, in his defense he DID go out and shake hands with Coughlin when they turned the ball over and theclock apparently ran out. For all intents and purpose the game was over at that point, even if they did want to put the time back on the clock and make Eli take a knee. I still wonder about how much benefit the Pats really could have gained from the whole Spygate thing (I still see it as inside 40 sec the defense calls a play based on their reaction to the offensive player subs and down/yardage/field position, the Spy Guy then has to catch the signal, interpret it correctly and call it back out to Brady to adjust the play before running out the 40 sec clock... seems way too cumbersome and time consuming to be practical). I'm not excusing, I think they are being rightfully punished (via fines and lost draftpicks) it but I find it hard to believe it taints everything they've done in the past.
Wulfran Moondancer
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Pretty good story summing up my thoughts on Belichick as well. Moss got hell for doing the same thing. I think AI got crap about it for leaving early in a basketball game as well. I think all 3 were wrong.

Also, some really poor calls on his part. The long throws late in the game, throw a 10 yard out get some momentum, do something with 30 seconds on the clock. Also not going for the field goal which will be mentioned a million times. The Giants played amazing football, but it seemed like when the Patriots were finally pressed and they could not make the adjustments on the field.
If he's going to lose, Bill Belichick would rather be elsewhere
By MJD

Sunday, Feb 3, 2008 11:12 pm EST
On more than one occasion this year, Bill Belichick and the Patriots have run up the score on an overmatched opponent, and forced an opposing coach to sit there and watch his beaten team go through the motions while their heineys were being handed to them.

But when the shoe's on the other foot, and Bill Belichick's team has been beaten, he can't sit there and take the pain for a few seconds.

With :02 left on the clock, and his team just having failed on a last chance 4th down effort, Bill Belichick ran onto the field for a quick handshake, and then bolted for the locker room. Belichick's an important guy and everything, but I wasn't aware that the league had given him the authority to decide when games end.

There's time left on the clock, his team's been humbled, outplayed, and lost their chance at history ... and Bill Belichick doesn't have the stomach to sit there and absorb the pain until the clock read 0:00.

That's unsportsmanlike at best, disrespectful at least, and at worst, it makes him a big sissy.

Because Bill Belichick wanted to go hide when he lost, the field ended up being flooded with people, and the officials had to clear the area before the Giants could take their final snap and make it official. When you lose, you take your loss. You don't leave early because it makes you feel sad inside. Your opponent deserves more respect than that.

Anyone remember in 2004 when Randy Moss left the sidelines with 2 seconds left in a Vikings vs. Redskins game? Moss was selfish, a baby, a quitter, didn't respect his teammates, and didn't respect the game. Belichick just did the same thing, but did it on the biggest possible stage, and did it from the position of a leader of men.

Maybe there's something to be said for the inability to lose well ... most great winners don't lose well, and a sore loser is still a loser.

But still, if you're an adult, you finish out the game, and you give your opponents the stage and the respect they deserve.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Tyek wrote:Pretty good story summing up my thoughts on Belichick as well. Moss got hell for doing the same thing. I think AI got crap about it for leaving early in a basketball game as well. I think all 3 were wrong.

Also, some really poor calls on his part. The long throws late in the game, throw a 10 yard out get some momentum, do something with 30 seconds on the clock. Also not going for the field goal which will be mentioned a million times. The Giants played amazing football, but it seemed like when the Patriots were finally pressed and they could not make the adjustments on the field.
If he's going to lose, Bill Belichick would rather be elsewhere
By MJD

Sunday, Feb 3, 2008 11:12 pm EST
On more than one occasion this year, Bill Belichick and the Patriots have run up the score on an overmatched opponent, and forced an opposing coach to sit there and watch his beaten team go through the motions while their heineys were being handed to them.

But when the shoe's on the other foot, and Bill Belichick's team has been beaten, he can't sit there and take the pain for a few seconds.

With :02 left on the clock, and his team just having failed on a last chance 4th down effort, Bill Belichick ran onto the field for a quick handshake, and then bolted for the locker room. Belichick's an important guy and everything, but I wasn't aware that the league had given him the authority to decide when games end.

There's time left on the clock, his team's been humbled, outplayed, and lost their chance at history ... and Bill Belichick doesn't have the stomach to sit there and absorb the pain until the clock read 0:00.

That's unsportsmanlike at best, disrespectful at least, and at worst, it makes him a big sissy.

Because Bill Belichick wanted to go hide when he lost, the field ended up being flooded with people, and the officials had to clear the area before the Giants could take their final snap and make it official. When you lose, you take your loss. You don't leave early because it makes you feel sad inside. Your opponent deserves more respect than that.

Anyone remember in 2004 when Randy Moss left the sidelines with 2 seconds left in a Vikings vs. Redskins game? Moss was selfish, a baby, a quitter, didn't respect his teammates, and didn't respect the game. Belichick just did the same thing, but did it on the biggest possible stage, and did it from the position of a leader of men.

Maybe there's something to be said for the inability to lose well ... most great winners don't lose well, and a sore loser is still a loser.

But still, if you're an adult, you finish out the game, and you give your opponents the stage and the respect they deserve.

Here's the thing though.. The Clock had run out and then they put a second back up when Bill was already on the field and after the field got run over with the media.

I'm not sure he even saw that the second had been put up again. Had to be a lot of confusion and noise out there.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

He knew because an official told him and Coughlin right there while they were there together that there was 1 second left. Fuck Bellichek and his needing to cheat to win big games.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

When they were together? Little late, no?...

They thought it was over, everyone rushed the field. You can't blame that on Belicheck.

Great game!!

edit: nm, i thought you were upset he charged the field, not that he went to the lockers before they did the last snap.
Last edited by Fash on February 4, 2008, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I fucking hate Belichick, but I can't fault him for leaving the field. Clock had hit zero, the other coach had come on the field and they'd shaken hands, the teams and media vultures were all over the field. Looked like the game was over to me.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The official told them both while they were there at the handshake. So Coughlin knew and Bellicheck knew.....but only one decided to stick around.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Even Randy Moss stayed on the sideline this time!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There's always mega gayness that takes place at the end of a Superbowl. I don't blame anyone for leaving.

The game wasn't bad, just boring for a Superbowl (all things included...TV ads, halftime, etc). The 4th quarter made up for it. I don't mind teams winning when they deserve it (unlike the cheating Spurs).
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Winnow wrote:There's always mega gayness that takes place at the end of a Superbowl. I don't blame anyone for leaving.

The game wasn't bad, just boring for a Superbowl (all things included...TV ads, halftime, etc). The 4th quarter made up for it. I don't mind teams winning when they deserve it (unlike the cheating Spurs).
You continue to show that you know nothing about football. The first three quarters were great, entertaining football. I guess it's because you've never seen a good defense, being an Arizona Cardinals fan and all!