What is your job?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: What is your job?

Post by Ransure »

Soreali wrote:I need a new job....:(

I want a career.. Not a job to get me by...

I work for Crestron Electronics... If you dont know what it is, watch MTV cribs one day, we're all over it...
Soreali, what do you do for Crestron? are you up at HQ in NY?.... I was up there for Cedia design training a year and a half ago. I designed crestron based control systems in my last job.... finding a good programmer is a bitch though...
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I am a student at the GSB at Stanford and founded an internet company about 5 months ago which will launch in about 2 weeks. By trade, I am a computer programmer.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Ransure wrote:
Soreali wrote:I need a new job....:(

I want a career.. Not a job to get me by...

I work for Crestron Electronics... If you dont know what it is, watch MTV cribs one day, we're all over it...
Soreali, what do you do for Crestron? are you up at HQ in NY?.... I was up there for Cedia design training a year and a half ago. I designed crestron based control systems in my last job.... finding a good programmer is a bitch though...
I work in the Tradeshow Dept.. We're the ones that built Cedia, InfoComm etc. Yeah I'm at HQ..but its jersey! :D

I want to learn the programming side but its not happening fast enough which is pissing me off.
Timmah.

Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

Whats the campus thats in Orangeburg NY?... off of Palisades pkwy? or is that right on the NY/NJ border.....

How long have you been there? I used to frequent CEDIA a few years ago, the first Crestron booth I visited was in 97 with the first one way touchscreen black and white controller.... :)
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I'm on my way to a job interview this morning... Pray for me! :D
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Something good I hope?
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Ransure wrote:Whats the campus thats in Orangeburg NY?... off of Palisades pkwy? or is that right on the NY/NJ border.....

How long have you been there? I used to frequent CEDIA a few years ago, the first Crestron booth I visited was in 97 with the first one way touchscreen black and white controller.... :)

Sorry Ran I must have missed this post...

Yeah its in Rockleigh, NJ...About 50 feet outside of NY lol.

I've been here for a year...But looks like i'm on my way out.

And year our Cedia booths have gotten much larger since '97 from what I've seen lol. Our booth this year about about 80x100. The booth building company did a nice job, but setting it up on our end was a real PITA...
Timmah.

Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Technical Project Manager for a large financial firm.

I work in an application development shop (mostly J2EE) and manage infrastructure projects (application moves, software upgrades like DB2 and WebSphere, network changes for our applications suites). I also handle Disaster Recovery planning and testing, act as an interface to audit (corporate and SOX), and basically shield my manager (our lead architect) from all the pain in the ass administrative jobs and corporate "fire drill" initiatives he hates.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ain't C&R fun, Ash? :D

We just did our mock disaster test last month--that was a big ol' pain in the balls!
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Yeah, I have a test in December that is going to be fun. We have three sets of databases, two in one data center with DR in the second and one in the second with DR in the first. The applications are dependent, and we have to bring them up in a certain order

I have two site failure tests, so have to deal w/ breaking SRDF and starting up DB2 after mounting the BCVs about evelenty zillion times.

At least we just upgraded our HACMP and tested that seperately. I think my brain would explode if I had to keep that in scope.
- Ash
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

At least you have BCV. I have no SAN here, and only a handful of instances on the east coast where there is a mirrored SAN. My SQL Server C&R revolves around homegrown log shipping scripts, which work fine, but are not as reliable as one would hope.
en kærlighed småkager
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Canelek wrote:...Silly thing is, I have not seen my team in person in 2 years, due to travel restrictions...(
I've worked on the team I do for almost 8 years, I met my boss in person 18 months after starting to work for him. I see him every couple years when he's down visiting his parents. I've never physically met the anyone else on the team.

I've worked from home on and off for the last 3-4 years, it sucks. But given the choice of that or a 3+ hours a day commuting I'll take it.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

noel wrote:Something good I hope?
I need a fresh start... The interview went very well and I hope to get a call soon.

It's more specialized than my current position and has more room for growth into management.

For some reason I was hoping for an immediate offer. lol. That didn't happen, but I'm still very optimistic.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Rarely see immediate offers these days. Good luck!
en kærlighed småkager
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Sionistic wrote:I work for Rosetta Stone. It is the #1 Language Learning Product in the world. I sell the product in Bridgewater Commons Mall, NJ. I demonstrate the product to different people all day. If you ever want to learn a language, drop me a pm! Ill see that discounts I can get you.
Haven't read most of this post so maybe it has been answered already, and if so ignore this, but does Rosetta Stone really work that well? I saw a commercial for it once but thought it was bullshit. I want to learn Mandarin Chinese but I don't want to pay to take a class at my university, and I'd rather not have tests on Chinese lol.

But anyway, I am a student in Chemical Engineering at Auburn University, and I want a job doing some sort of medical research if at all possible (medicine, delivery systems, nanotech, or whatever else I can do in the field). I just want to help people and make decent money doing it. Or if I want to get paid a shit load I could go work for an oil company, they pay some people like $80,000 a year + signing bonus straight out of college. Thats kinda going in the opposite direction with the helping part though.
Lynxe
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynxe »

I'm the Implementation Project Lead with Bell Aliant for a major medical application deployed in the province of Ontario. I also do analyst or programming work when we get swamped because I'm still a techy at heart. My team varies depending on what we deploy but I work with a fantastic group of people and I don't (often) have to deal with customers.

My job is crazy busy all the time, and I love it :)
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have
Brittney
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Brittney »

Sargeras wrote:IT Field Services Engineer (Department of Defense contractor) doing network support and client-side computer maintenance for the 419th Flight Test Squadron at Edwards Air Force Base, CA. The squadron has about 700 people and I'm solo supporting everyone atm by doing the work of two people alone. My boss in her infinite wisdom decided that since I'm such a hard worker that I can handle the responsibility of all the crap I do. At least there's some advantages to working 10 miles away from her. :D I got Brittney hired into my old position when I was assigned out here.
What Sarg means here is that he FIX COMPUTAH!

That’s what I do and that’s what he do. Though me taking his old job isn’t exactly accurate either since I got hired on as a higher position and he got sent off to BFE cus he got shit on by haters.

But we both basically do the same shit just in different areas of the base heh.

If you are ever bored ask Jason about how comfy the closets are here at Edwards.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Nick wrote:
Sparty wrote:Cool thread.
At Sony, im working on a film called "Cloudy, with a Chance of Meatballs". Just another fully CG comedy (think Shrek, Nemo, etc). I cant really say much about the film yet, but its coming along nicely.
This is so fucking cool. It's always been interesting following Sparty's path to world domination, quite a change from the Little Rico days!

When is the Little Rico full length CG animation film?
We have that children's book and read it to my daughter on occasion. It's a very visually stimulating book but it's going to take some clever writers to make it a full length feature. I'd be curious to see how it turns out now.

Asheran, I picked up the demo CD's they mail out online. I have worked through the French which is version 3 and it was very very good. The far east languages are still version 2. I have one of those as well to experiment w/ Japanese and Mandarin but have yet to do so. I think it's going to be a lot more difficult. I am used to conjugating latin based languages and the French demo had me learning it very naturally. I'm not sure the asian based languages are going to be as natural.
I had a short time to run into bridgewater mall but I didn't see the kiosk. I'll have to try again. It's expensive, but I'd probably get the first two packages for French(unless the insider deals are really that good so that I would get all 3).
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Fash wrote:For some reason I was hoping for an immediate offer. lol. That didn't happen, but I'm still very optimistic.
At our company, even if you interview with the hiring manager and they would love to hire you on the spot, there's a layer of adminstration where you have to contact Human Resources and tell them to make the offer and there may or may not be additional steps (drug tests etc.).
- Ash
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

They called me back yesterday (the day after the interview) and made me an offer.

It's a tough decision for me... It's actually a pay cut, but I have to consider so much else, because money isn't everything. I was able to get them to offer benefits starting day 1, and an extra weeks vacation over their normal structure.

The new place is a growing and successful company and all the buzz around them is positive... The place I'm at is constantly rumored to be on the selling block and the buzz is all negative. We're losing valued employees by the truckload (we lost ALL 5 DBA's in the span of 2 months) and they really don't know how to treat people.

Where I'm at, there isn't much chance for growth into management. Any lead or manager positions are purely administrative, keeping track of the people beneath you and riding them to get work done... At the new place, I'd be leading a team almost right off the bat, and there seems to be no end to the potential...

If they were even able to match my salary, I wouldn't even consider a counter-offer from my current company... but now, I feel that they might counter with something that will make me think twice or make it even a harder decision.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

From what you say, the choice would be very easy for me, unless the pay cut is dramatic, which I doubt it is for you. Starting off at a new place is exciting for me.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Yeah maybe it's not that tough... :D

It's a 10% cut, but I guess long-term there is too much potential to pass up.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

I work in the mortgage industry. 2 and a half years ago I was hired on at the company I am with now. My friend (who got me in the business) called me and offered me a job where he was working for ~40% pay raise. The problem was, I was with a company that was growing and stable and he was working for a smaller company that had little growth opportunity. Now, you have all read in the news about how fubar the mortgage business is. My friend was laid off at two different companies and is now out of the business all together until it turns around (no one is hiring, and most, if not all, are laying off). I am still employed, making more than I would have made even if I left for his offer. Not only did the lower paying job offer more stablity, it turned in to the higher paying job.

In reality it is just about where you fit the most and where you feel comfortable.

Also, keep in mind, a job offer can be countered ><
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spankes wrote:I work in the mortgage industry. 2 and a half years ago I was hired on at the company I am with now. My friend (who got me in the business) called me and offered me a job where he was working for ~40% pay raise. The problem was, I was with a company that was growing and stable and he was working for a smaller company that had little growth opportunity. Now, you have all read in the news about how fubar the mortgage business is. My friend was laid off at two different companies and is now out of the business all together until it turns around (no one is hiring, and most, if not all, are laying off). I am still employed, making more than I would have made even if I left for his offer. Not only did the lower paying job offer more stablity, it turned in to the higher paying job.

In reality it is just about where you fit the most and where you feel comfortable.

Also, keep in mind, a job offer can be countered ><
Unless you work for the company that I do. They have just let a ton of really important people walk because they refuse to counter offer anyone. They pay well below the average for other companies in MN, but pay their sales people absurdly high. Their excuse is that they are a growth company and that it is most important for them to sell as much as they can.. The problem is they went out of business once already because they sold more than they can support, which seems to me like the road we are heading down now.

The average technical person here (anything from a DBA to Implementation, QA, developer, data monitoring, etc etc) makes about 40k - which is a fucking joke.. We have about 450 employees, well over half are sales people, and not a single one of them is making any less than 75-80k a year (lead selling guy makes 150k/yr + consistently). Year after year at reviews no onegets more than a 3-4% cost of living raise..

No wonder I'm looking for another job..
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

be careful with counter offers if you receive one. theyre usually not a good idea especially coming from the type of company that currently employs you (based on your desc). you can read up about the risks online rather than get a jumbled version from me
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Got my Master's in geology back in '92 - worked in the field for several years before a fluke landed me in the world of IT.

Presently I am the CIO for a non-profit organization. I keep thinking about going for my PhD. and possibly teaching - it would give me an opportunity to teach as well as do research.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

It turned out to be a tougher decision than I thought... I had 1 issue here that I was really down on myself about, and I think I made it out to be bigger than it was... I finally asked for help and got it, and without that issue, I couldn't accept the offer I received. I let them know and now they're buying me dinner tonight. Don't know what to expect, but at least now I'm in the right frame of mind.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
icknay
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by icknay »

I am a coin dealer. I buy and sell old coins, currency, gold and silver bullion, and many other types of collectibles such as antique toys, glassware, jewelry, sterling silver flatware, tea sets, as well as diamonds, ivory, scrap gold (yes I buy gold teeth too lol), and pretty much anything else that I think I can make a buck on.
I own 2 coin shops in central Florida, and focus on buying collections. We don't retail much, as I have a thriving wholesale coin business, but we do run about 100 auctions weekly on feebay.
I get to travel a fair amount to coin shows, usually every other week for 2-4 days. I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else.
Before this I did mostly fun stuff...never really had a career. After graduating high school in '79 it was grocery store, radio stations (small town DJ), bartender, car salesman, then coin dealer.

Find me a big coin collection to buy! I will fly anywhere for large collections ($20k & up).

Nick
Icknay
Nothing soothes the broken heart
like an endless stream of fabulous babes.

Larry "Bud" Melman
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sounds like you've enjoyed your various jobs Icknay. Have any nice Roman coin collections?

In particular coins with these emperors:

Augustus
Tiberius
Gaius (Caligula)
Claudius
Nero
Trajan
Hadrian
icknay
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by icknay »

I don't get many ancient coins, though I did have a gold Nero once, a long time ago.
Nick

p.s. And yep I've enjoyed my life and various jobs. Got a lot of great memories...and some huge empty gaps in my memory too lol.
Nothing soothes the broken heart
like an endless stream of fabulous babes.

Larry "Bud" Melman
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

I make those lil bits in your computer do things...

I designed and developed an internet fax messaging system, yeah I killed a lot of trees...Currently I work for a company that develops a medical management system for doctors and I also do consulting. Somewhere in between all that I'm also working on my own company.

PS. Don't listen to Winnow, I have no knowledge of Columbia.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Automotive Mekanik

However I aspire to open my own import buisness. Importing beutiful young romainians or russians and sell them here in the states, failing that ill just keep fixin cars.
Sick Balls!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

As of 2:00 yesterday (Thurs.) afternoon, I've no clue what my job is. My manager told me that my current function is going away, I'm absolutely not getting "force managed", and that I'm being moved into something they can't\won't tell me about (yet) for one of the other managers in our group.

Boss got really excited this morning when I mentioned I was looking at other jobs within the company.

Change is good, or so I keep telling myself :)
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I'm currently unemployed. Moved to Tampa a couple months ago to start fresh. First few weeks I spent my time and money on a female and didn't really look for a job. Now that's over and I'm starting to get desperate. I've had 3 interviews but no offers. I had an audition as a poker dealer at the horse track but I didn't get the offer. On thursday I'm working as a floor manager at a night club, which is in essence another "audition" for the guy to see if he wants to hire me. I definitely did not think it would take me this long to find something, but my family is keeping me afloat until I do.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

After spending over seven years in the MMO field, I took the severance from Sigil and found a new job in a new industry.

I am now the Assistant Vice President of Networks and IT for a large credit union servicing 3 countries. More pay, less stress, less overall hours. I think I landed something sweet.
Adelrune Argenti
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

Rather than start my own thread, I've decided to jump onto this somewhat related thread. Currently I am logistics supervisor at an Old Navy store. I'm at a bit of a crossroad in my career here. The turnover for management within my district has been ridiculous. Partially due to really really bad external hires that flake out and an unreachable whoreslut of a district manager.

The problem is that I've been with Old Navy for the past 7 years, I'm only 24. Because of my time with the company, I receive 6 weeks of paid vacation time a year which is pretty nice. Based on my peers on the same level, I'm easily the next one to be promoted, however it seems the district manager hires mostly from outside the company. On the same hand, the feedback given to our DM by her boss is that she isn't coaching and pushing internals for the next level. I think that puts me in a position to get the new store that is planned to open Fall 08 in my hometown which I'd love to have.

Right now I make $24.5k a year, 6 weeks of vacation time a year, 3-5% yearly raises, $1-2K in bonuses a year, and a 401k that is matched up to 4%. If I get that promotion, I'm looking at $36k a year, same vacation/raise, double the bonuses. Starbucks is essentially offering me $30k a year, 2 weeks of vacation time, 3-5% raises every 3-6 months, profit sharing, stock options (10% of annual salary), they only match 25% of my 401k contribution. The rest of the benefits are pretty much a wash in terms of medical, life, dental.

I've got a significant amount of my life already invested in my current career. I like the job enough, although it's been stressful since we're shorthanded in terms of management. I have to pick up a ton of slack that I'm not getting compensated for. I don't travel a lot so the vacation time isn't a huge deal to me, but I very much consider it part of my total compensation package. Starbucks store managers are paid about $35k for my region. If I were to get promoted at Old Navy this year, it'd be probably 3-5 years for my next significant promotion, where if I went Starbucks, I could see my next promotion coming within 1-2 years.

This is a major decision of my life and I'm just seeking opinions about anything here. VV has a very diverse opinionated bunch so I thought I'd reach out here for advice.

Mark
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aevian Dreaklear wrote:
The problem is that I've been with Old Navy for the past 7 years, I'm only 24. Because of my time with the company, I receive 6 weeks of paid vacation time a year which is pretty nice.
That six weeks of vacation is really nice (for the U.S.). I'm going from 4 to 5 weeks of vacation starting next year and think that's a big deal...and that's the max you can get, ever, at my company.

2 weeks of vacation blows. I'd weigh that heavily as well as your vested time in your current company before doing anything. As the new guy at your next company, you're also typically the first one to get canned if things take a downturn.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aabidano wrote:As of 2:00 yesterday (Thurs.) afternoon, I've no clue what my job is. My manager told me that my current function is going away, I'm absolutely not getting "force managed", and that I'm being moved into something they can't\won't tell me about (yet) for one of the other managers in our group.
So another guy and myself from my (old) team were thrown over the fence into another group working on a project has has and will continue to make significant amounts of revenue for the foreseeable future. I was a bit irritated with how it was handled, getting a call from my new boss out of the blue and being told what I'll be doing, but it beats being thrown out in the street or being told to find a new job in the company.

No clear idea what they want me for, other than some sort of system and security integration\design work. Spent most of this week updating some old disaster recovery docs I'd done in '99 and 2000.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aevian Dreaklear wrote:Rather than start my own thread, I've decided to jump onto this somewhat related thread. Currently I am logistics supervisor at an Old Navy store. I'm at a bit of a crossroad in my career here. The turnover for management within my district has been ridiculous. Partially due to really really bad external hires that flake out and an unreachable whoreslut of a district manager.

The problem is that I've been with Old Navy for the past 7 years, I'm only 24. Because of my time with the company, I receive 6 weeks of paid vacation time a year which is pretty nice. Based on my peers on the same level, I'm easily the next one to be promoted, however it seems the district manager hires mostly from outside the company. On the same hand, the feedback given to our DM by her boss is that she isn't coaching and pushing internals for the next level. I think that puts me in a position to get the new store that is planned to open Fall 08 in my hometown which I'd love to have.

Right now I make $24.5k a year, 6 weeks of vacation time a year, 3-5% yearly raises, $1-2K in bonuses a year, and a 401k that is matched up to 4%. If I get that promotion, I'm looking at $36k a year, same vacation/raise, double the bonuses. Starbucks is essentially offering me $30k a year, 2 weeks of vacation time, 3-5% raises every 3-6 months, profit sharing, stock options (10% of annual salary), they only match 25% of my 401k contribution. The rest of the benefits are pretty much a wash in terms of medical, life, dental.

I've got a significant amount of my life already invested in my current career. I like the job enough, although it's been stressful since we're shorthanded in terms of management. I have to pick up a ton of slack that I'm not getting compensated for. I don't travel a lot so the vacation time isn't a huge deal to me, but I very much consider it part of my total compensation package. Starbucks store managers are paid about $35k for my region. If I were to get promoted at Old Navy this year, it'd be probably 3-5 years for my next significant promotion, where if I went Starbucks, I could see my next promotion coming within 1-2 years.

This is a major decision of my life and I'm just seeking opinions about anything here. VV has a very diverse opinionated bunch so I thought I'd reach out here for advice.

Mark
Are you set on working in retail, climbing the ladder to DM, RM, etc? I would base this advise on that being the case. You're pretty young and you have 6 weeks of vacation. A liberal company may give 4 weeks after 5 years and 5 weeks after 10, but that's not even guaranteed. So your vacation allotment is about the best in the US outside of teaching and corp execs. Your vacation time is a bargaining chip if you decide to leave regardless of whether you value it personally.
However, I will base this on your age. If you want to move up in on the floor retail w/in your company, you may want to stay there. If you want to move up in retail in general, I think now may be the perfect time for you to see another corporate culture. I think it can broaden horizons and make you a more marketable individual in the long run. You've already had your internal promotions and proven your worth w/in your co. but you are under the Gap umbrella. On one hand you may become the ultimate Gap guy, on the other, you may have a tough transition if you've never seen the way another company does things.
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

Chidoro wrote:

Are you set on working in retail, climbing the ladder to DM, RM, etc? I would base this advise on that being the case. You're pretty young and you have 6 weeks of vacation. A liberal company may give 4 weeks after 5 years and 5 weeks after 10, but that's not even guaranteed. So your vacation allotment is about the best in the US outside of teaching and corp execs. Your vacation time is a bargaining chip if you decide to leave regardless of whether you value it personally.
However, I will base this on your age. If you want to move up in on the floor retail w/in your company, you may want to stay there. If you want to move up in retail in general, I think now may be the perfect time for you to see another corporate culture. I think it can broaden horizons and make you a more marketable individual in the long run. You've already had your internal promotions and proven your worth w/in your co. but you are under the Gap umbrella. On one hand you may become the ultimate Gap guy, on the other, you may have a tough transition if you've never seen the way another company does things.
I'm like 90% set on retail. I'm aiming for a DM, RM job, or something possibly in human resources. I'm thinking about heading back to my school and finishing my accounting degree. I dislike accounting, but I hear having an accounting degree opens many doors for you.

Vacation time with Starbucks is on par with what I'm hearing from the other companies that I've spoken with. 2 weeks starting year, 3 weeks at 3, 4 weeks at 5, I think it only gets to 5 weeks at 10 or something like that. I like retail in general, I like the small HR aspects and merchandising. With moving to Starbucks, I move away from the merchandising piece. I'm not sure how much more marketable this makes me. I'm moving from a big box store to a small coffee shop that will do less than $1 mill annually. One option is leaving for Starbucks then coming back to Old Navy in fall/winter 08 when the new store opens. I'd be able to get the same vacation time for sure and possibly would have more leverage in salary negotiations then.

My 2nd phone interview is this week and I'd expect the final interview shortly after. Thanks for your comments.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22189126/
SEATTLE - Washington Mutual Inc., the nation’s largest savings and loan, said Monday that problems in the mortgage and credit markets are forcing it to close offices, lay off more than 3,000 workers and set aside up to $1.6 billion for loan losses in the fourth quarter.
35 people laid off from the building I used to work at. my girlfriend is a lead there and about half of her employees were suddenly laid off in the middle of the day and she had no prior notification. Now she has to train with one of her friends who is being laid off so she can take her job... talk about awkward. 2 weeks before christmas.. simply incredible

definitely glad I had an opportunity to jump that ship and took it.
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Ryuda_69
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ryuda_69 »

YAY... after a long year of busting my ass and taking more classes than i could handle in order to graduate sooner than later... i'm finally done. i now have my HVAC/R degree. I also took my EPA certification exam(which you need to even work in this field), and passed it with flying colors :). i'm now universally certified to work in any state across the US and A hehe. now it's just a matter of picking the right company to work for. there are OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of good companies out there that deal with hvac/r, however i'm really leaning more toward working for the MTA since there starting pay is pretty damn good... and the benefits along with a pension is something i'd love to have.

dis is a greeatt succcesss~ yyyaaagggshamish~
Ryuda Shiro
70 Scourge Knight Of Kratos
(Retired)

"Where''s my mothaF****n change???"
redeemed
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by redeemed »

Ryuda_69 wrote:YAY... after a long year of busting my ass and taking more classes than i could handle in order to graduate sooner than later... i'm finally done. i now have my HVAC/R degree. I also took my EPA certification exam(which you need to even work in this field), and passed it with flying colors :). i'm now universally certified to work in any state across the US and A hehe. now it's just a matter of picking the right company to work for. there are OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of good companies out there that deal with hvac/r, however i'm really leaning more toward working for the MTA since there starting pay is pretty damn good... and the benefits along with a pension is something i'd love to have.

congratulations sweetie! now you can move to cali! ;)
xoxo
dulce et decorum est
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ryuda_69 wrote:i'm now universally certified to work in any state across the US and A hehe. now it's just a matter of picking the right company to work for. there are OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of good companies out there that deal with hvac/r, however i'm really leaning more toward working for the MTA since there starting pay is pretty damn good... and the benefits along with a pension is something i'd love to have.

Grats on your certification. It sounds like HVAC/R degrees are in demand if you can pick where you want to work!
Fyndina
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fyndina »

I work as Chief Archiect/Database Admin for a medium sized annuity company. Been a MS SQL Server DBA since 1995, 6 years as a consultant for one company, various insurance companies, aircraft time share company, book store chain (replication to 75 stores over 56K lines....), 4 years for a Disney division. Quite fun. Went to school to become a pilot but decided my last semester that commercial flying is just to incredibly boring.....
Ardel i'Fallegar, Wizard long dead

Fyndina i'Fallegar, L60 necro, Veeshan
Aateni i'Fallegar, L65 SK, Veeshan

Korte i'Fallegar, L43 Illusionist, Lucan

Gun Carrying Liberal
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I'm a student working on my double masters in Musicology and Digital Communications, a freelance voiceover/dubbing artist (cartoons, commercials, information movies, teaching videos and documentaries) and I'm part-time manager of an internet cafe in Copenhagen.

Also, I'm really tall. And quite sexy.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Ryuda_69
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ryuda_69 »

redeemed wrote:
Ryuda_69 wrote:YAY... after a long year of busting my ass and taking more classes than i could handle in order to graduate sooner than later... i'm finally done. i now have my HVAC/R degree. I also took my EPA certification exam(which you need to even work in this field), and passed it with flying colors :). i'm now universally certified to work in any state across the US and A hehe. now it's just a matter of picking the right company to work for. there are OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of good companies out there that deal with hvac/r, however i'm really leaning more toward working for the MTA since there starting pay is pretty damn good... and the benefits along with a pension is something i'd love to have.

congratulations sweetie! now you can move to cali! ;)
xoxo

so does that mean that i could stay at your place??? :D . I'll even keep your space cooled for free 8)

Pull out the futon... i'm OMW~
Ryuda Shiro
70 Scourge Knight Of Kratos
(Retired)

"Where''s my mothaF****n change???"
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

I am a Phlebotomist for a lab here in TN. They place us in Dr.s offices thru out the state. I have been in an OB/GYN as their Lab Tech for the last 3 years. I also do chainmaille jewelry on the side for fun.
I want to cast...........MAGIC MISSLE!
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Aevian Dreaklear wrote:Starbucks is essentially offering me $30k a year, 2 weeks of vacation time, 3-5% raises every 3-6 months, profit sharing, stock options (10% of annual salary), they only match 25% of my 401k contribution.
Holy shit... 25%? Is that a typo?

IBM just cut matching from 6% to 5%... bastards.

I went on LOA from IBM earlier this year to pursue my PhD in neuroinformatics. We're doing the informatics part of a genetics/imaging/clinical study of various mental disorders, and my personal research is in neuroimaging for brain tumor detection.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Syenye wrote: Holy shit... 25%? Is that a typo?
IBM just cut matching from 6% to 5%... bastards.
My company matched 120% last year. It was a good year for them, sometimes they match a lot less. But then they pay most of their employees slave wages.. Must work out nice for the higher ups.