Nanotechnology

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Nanotechnology

Post by Mort »

Starting to read Michael Crichton's book "Prey". Pretty wild stuff. I think I remember a long post about this on the old VNBoards.

Anyone else think this is complete fucking madness?!?!?
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
Hayley
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Hayley »

I just started reading that book too and as with most all of Crichton's books, I'm hooked right off the start. Nanotechnology is here, AI is here, now we just wait for people to come up with the ability to combine the two together. I think that that time is really close.

So is the wife really cheating? No...no, don't tell me. *sigh*
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Some cool stuff, some very scary stuff, and some totally off the wall stuff goin on with nanotechnology.

This branch of science could free us from pesticides, prolong the life and health of our circulatory systems, be the ultimate in home and fashion design and end the PITA that is automobile repair.

So many possibilities....
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

MEMS technology (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) is also worth keeping an eye on. Very cool stuff.

Here's a link with a brief explanation of MEMS from Microvision:

http://www.mvis.com/tech_more_mems.htm

This company is also working on Retinal Scanning Displays (projecting images directly onto the retina so a screen isn't necessary)
Last edited by Winnow on January 3, 2003, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

the idea of machines that operate at the molecular scale is a rapidly approaching reality. it is super cool =).
Pahreyia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pahreyia »

I was lucky enough to get a critic's edition of that book about 2 months ago. I enjoyed it, for the most part. I found that the suspension of disbelief was a little too grand towards the end, but overall, it seemed to be well written, if nothing else.

On the topic of nanotech tho, a good friend of mine recently graduated from Cal Tech and got a job with a biotech firm in Ventura, California. He's helping to engineer some sort of remote nano drug delivery system that will be utilized in patients who suffer from chronic circulatory/coronary disorders. The "bug" will provide either electrical stimulation to specific areas of the system or in the case of coronary disorders, small doses of steroroids to the heart to stimulate normal cardio rhtyhms.

Really interesting stuff, if I could only understand more of it.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Thats supposed to be one of the theories on how the world will end.
Dispite many other possibilities, Nano machines could actually restructure the actomic make up of the earth itself and turn it into..like a gas cloud or something. I cant remember exactly what it was.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Cotto wrote:Thats supposed to be one of the theories on how the world will end.
Dispite many other possibilities, Nano machines could actually restructure the actomic make up of the earth itself and turn it into..like a gas cloud or something. I cant remember exactly what it was.
whoever thought that up doesnt know much about physics, chemistry, or nanomachines :)
KilornCloudwalker
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by KilornCloudwalker »

Maybe not, but I bet they've seen Terminator 2 a thousand times...
Kilorn Cloudwalker
62 Oracle - Retired
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

MEMS are definitely neat, the company I work for has been making them for a while now. We primarily make the normal IC's, but these are proving to be quite a hot seller.

The first time I looked at one of these under a scope, I almost didn't believe it ;)
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

Those pants that don't stain use nanotechnology...
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.
Adex_Xeda
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Adex_Xeda »

Deus Ex,

nano enhanced super beings all wrapped up into a fun little game on par with Half Life.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

i saw a sweater that uses nanotechnology at a science and technology open here in vancouver last year, that can change color to like almost any color in the spectrum using a computer. it was pretty weird.

its like polyester for the new millenium!

the major drawback was the sweater cost more than prada's entire 2001 summer lineup, and probably a house.
Adex_Xeda
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Adex_Xeda »

Heh I'm sure wearing that sweater is an electrifying experience in a rain storm.
kurzweil
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by kurzweil »

If you hit the sweater with an electromagnetic pulse, would it go invisible?
Millie

Post by Millie »

Improvements in nanotechnology will allow for the easier assimilation of new CT members. :)

(It was a cheap shot, but someone had to take it).
emmer
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by emmer »

Cotto wrote:Thats supposed to be one of the theories on how the world will end.
I could be wrong but I think you may be referring to the "grey goo" problem. I wonder if it would hurt being reassembled on a molecular level into a pile of starbucks cups...

but guess we'll find out soon enough!
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

I think that might be it Emmer. I cant remember where I read it (think it was last week newspaper), there was a section on all possible ways the world could end. Alien Invasion, Earthquakes, etc etc.
The nano thing kinda stuck in my head, I'd rather die quickly than wake up on moreing to find both my legs combined at the molecular level with my bed.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Machines on the molecular level? Hehe, LONG way away, if it can even happen (and, coming from a synthetic chemist, I hope it NEVER happens, would put me out of a job for sure)

Biggest problem for machines on this scale is that quantum effects start to become important once you get below about 10 nanometers, and dominate on the molecular scale (under 1 nanometer). We currently don't know how to approach this problem, much less solve it. Most of the science on these scales is done by chemists and physicists, precisely because the problem is beyond engineering at this point. Since molecular machines are a buzzword term now in the community and get you money, you'll be reading lots about how chemists have made parts for the future molecular machines <laugh>. The day we come up with a working quantum computing device is the day we can start seriously thinking about "true" molecular machines, until then it is all idle talk from the minds of dreamers- or somebody trying to make a buck.

Animale
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

kyoukan type-R wrote:i saw a sweater that uses nanotechnology at a science and technology open here in vancouver last year, that can change color to like almost any color in the spectrum using a computer. it was pretty weird.

its like polyester for the new millenium!

the major drawback was the sweater cost more than prada's entire 2001 summer lineup, and probably a house.
US military has uniforms similar to this material that allows them to blend into their surroundings. I spoke to one of the Naval Captains that worked on the project a few years ago when I was still in the Navy, and he said it was inspired by the predator movie. Pretty cool.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

i thought the predator refracted light.

you mean the US navy has nanotech predator suits that make them invisible and I haven't heard about this once? are we all going to be assassinated now because you are giving up government secrets?

IS THIS HOW XANUPOX GOT IN AND OUT OF HIS AIR FORCE SNIPER KILL SPOTS SO SILENTLY?
Redklaw
No Stars!

Post by Redklaw »

Nah, the military's predator suite is suposably gonna use little Hex LCD screens and tiny fibreoptic camera's all over it to sorta make a soldier blend in better. Sounds cool, but in real life operation the damn thing would probably break every couple days. A gillie suit makes you about as invisible as you need to be anyways.
Redklaw Scorpse
61 Monk - Veeshan
Redklaw's Crap!!
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

kyoukan type-R wrote:i thought the predator refracted light.

you mean the US navy has nanotech predator suits that make them invisible and I haven't heard about this once? are we all going to be assassinated now because you are giving up government secrets?

IS THIS HOW XANUPOX GOT IN AND OUT OF HIS AIR FORCE SNIPER KILL SPOTS SO SILENTLY?
I said it was INSPIRED by the movie, I did not say it refracted light. And don't worry Kyoukan, no, the US does not have seckrit technology that you have never heard of. Heaven forbid that.

Basically the entire suit is sort of like a huge LCD and you just program in your pattern/color to match your surroundings
Millie

Post by Millie »

I read about a sweater that uses a "bio-fiber" type material to repair itself if torn or otherwise damaged. Not surprisingly, this material had been developed for military application.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

well if it was inspired by a movie where a guy had a suit that refracted light i assumed that it was going to be a suit that refracted light.

*shrug*
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

kyoukan type-R wrote:well if it was inspired by a movie where a guy had a suit that refracted light i assumed that it was going to be a suit that refracted light.

*shrug*
Don't assume...you know how the rest of that saying goes.
Aruman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Aruman »

Animale wrote:The day we come up with a working quantum computing device is the day we can start seriously thinking about "true" molecular machines, until then it is all idle talk from the minds of dreamers- or somebody trying to make a buck.
Animale
Not sure if this is related to what you are talking about. I recalled hearing about this in school.

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/ar ... /10_943731

http://www.eetimes.com/at/news/OEG20020806S0030

Interesting stuff...
Souldinkou Soulfury
No Stars!

Post by Souldinkou Soulfury »

Infrared will own even more then.
Abelard
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Abelard »

Soul is all about the guns.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Souldinkou sucks.. Abelard sucks as well.
Timmah.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Nanotech becoming a daily item will be the single biggest tech leap mankind could pull off.

Launch rocket to moon, lander lands, releases prep bugs, then the diggers, and the convertors, presto a few months/years later we have a ready to go moonbase with water and air stocks.

Launch rocket to Venus, land, release bugs, terraforming begins. Wait a few decades/centuries and inhabit.

Drop a crumb on the carpet, it is gathered, broken to component atoms, restocked in household inventory.

Go camping, unscrew bottle, release bugs, kick back and enjoy the view while they build you a tent, a campfire pit and a comfy bunk.

Shake Kyoukans hand, transfer a small amount of nanobugs activated by warm water, wait for Kyoukan to bath or wash hands, enjoy screams.

Take my knee, inject nanomachines into the proper areas, let them reform little amount of remaining cartilage into proper areas, form new cartilage and replace sugical steel with bone tissue.

Drop nanites onto city dumps, wait for sorted piles of raw materials to form.

Really the ability to build and control machines at the atomic level allows for endless possibilities.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

Couple of the more interesting ones I saw were;

An injection of robots designed to scrape plaque from your arteries.

A home with all interior walls, wiring etc made up of simple nanobots. If you decide you need a little more room, just program a central computer and watch the wall, complete with wiring and plumbing reposition itself over the course of a couple hours.

Nanobots released in crop fields to destroy specific types of parasites, eliminating the need for pesticides. Goodbye runoff.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I reckon we'll see this kind of thing within 50 years of cracking sustainable fusion as a source of energy.
Real soon now!!!
/cough

The technology and AI required for this kind of thing is a looooong way off.
Dexail
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Dexail »

that's probably what they said about Star Trek's "communicators" when the TV series first came out 30 years ago. Now we all have one.
Dex
Souldinkou Soulfury
No Stars!

Post by Souldinkou Soulfury »

Abelardo wrote:
Soul is all about the guns.
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/cl ... .asp?id=49

stp

sore sucks 8>