Halo 3

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Halo 3

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:You are all making me jealous :(

I have a mason jar full of saving for my 360. I have 100$ in change in there and a Best Buy Gift card for 60$. I'm saving for the Elite, and extra controller, and 2-3 games. I think I'll have it by the end of November or so, but by then the hype will be long gone :(
You can rest assured that I will be playing it heavily still, as will the usual people I play with. When you get it, let me know and we can play some halo!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Funkmasterr wrote:

I have a mason jar full of saving for my 360. I have 100$ in change in there and a Best Buy Gift card for 60$. I'm saving for the Elite, and extra controller, and 2-3 games. I think I'll have it by the end of November or so, but by then the hype will be long gone :(
You can rest assured that I will be playing it heavily still, as will the usual people I play with. When you get it, let me know and we can play some halo!
Is Gears of War still popular online/co-op? That's another one I look forward to but am worried it will have pretty much died off by the time I get my 360.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Look at it this way. You'll be right on time for Mass Effect and Call of Duty 4.
=)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

Is Gears of War still popular online/co-op? That's another one I look forward to but am worried it will have pretty much died off by the time I get my 360.
I still play it from time to time, and a couple of my friends that I play with frequently still play it constantly. I am sure it will die down a bit now that halo is out but i am pretty confident it will pick back up being as most of us that play together like the multiplayer for gears more than halo (doesn't hurt that I've been ranked as high as 1100 overall on the leaderboards on gears and I suck at halo, haha.)
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

So my Halo3 won't be here until tomorrow. Even though I paid for NEXT DAY AIR service, Amazon sent it GROUND.

*sigh*

Remind me to never, ever order games and shit from them again. Had to call them to get a credit for the charge for next day shipping.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Vaemas wrote:So my Halo3 won't be here until tomorrow. Even though I paid for NEXT DAY AIR service, Amazon sent it GROUND.

*sigh*

Remind me to never, ever order games and shit from them again. Had to call them to get a credit for the charge for next day shipping.
I stopped ordering anything online that I cannot wait at least an additional week for.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Vaemas »

Yeah. Most things I've ordered lately have been with their super saver option. Should have just bought it in the store.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Finished it just now, a little short but rather fun
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Its short?!?! That's too bad :( What would you say is the total play hours?

I'm really liking the coop option. So much fun to shoot a friend!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I heard it's like ~10 hours.

I didn't get to play too much last night... A friend came over and I didn't want to be rude, so I stopped playing till he left, played some more and then 2 hot girls came up and we went in the hot tub... at least I have my priorities straight :D
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Played through chapter 4 or 5 last night. Looks like there are 8 chapters total based on the Achievements. Some of the stages were fairly simple to just bully your way through on Normal. Multiplayer is fun though. I went through several games online last night, but no co-op yet. I have never been much for multiplayer in console shooters though. I noticed why on a few maps last night, but they were not all that bad. I think I will be sticking to team objective/tactic modes :P
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Best Buy's email finally came through before I left work yesterday, went and picked it up. Got home, played for like an hour and then our power went out for several hours. I was very angry!

I look forward to trying out the multiplayer soon, maybe tonight.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

took me about 12 hours of play interrupted by some damn good sushi
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Cool Live Halo 3 usage map:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Halo3/Nightmap.ashx

One dude or dudette down in South Africa has the game!

Map is from this page:

http://www.bungie.net/online/default.aspx

Japan needs to be brighter!
Microsoft today announced that the Xbox 360 exclusive game “Halo 3” has officially become the biggest entertainment launch in history, garnering an estimated $170 million in sales in the United States alone in the first 24 hours. The Xbox 360 title beat previous records set by blockbuster theatrical releases like “Spider-man 3” and novels such as “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”

“Halo 3” is the conclusion to the epic trilogy and picks up where “Halo 2” left off, answering questions around the fates of the beloved protagonist Master Chief and his artificial intelligence sidekick Cortana as they struggle to save humankind from destruction at the hands of the alien coalition known as the Covenant. In addition to the rich storyline, “Halo 3” continues the franchise’s grand tradition of delivering innovative online multiplayer experiences via Xbox LIVE, the world’s largest social network on TV.

“Halo 3 has become a pop-culture phenomenon,” said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “Not only is “Halo 3” setting sales records, it’s also redefining entertainment.

Within the first 20 hours alone, we’ve seen more than a million Xbox LIVE members come online to play Halo 3 – that makes September 25 the most active Xbox LIVE gaming day in history.”

Retailers have also expressed their excitement about the launch of “Halo 3.”

Bob McKenzie, Senior Vice President of Merchandising for GameStop Corp commented that, “With consumer demand for Halo 3 and related products, we expect it to be the biggest video game title generator in GameStop's history."

“The initial demand we’ve seen for ‘Halo 3’ has been astounding, and the game is on track to become the number one gaming title of all time. ‘Halo 3’ is a genuine entertainment phenomenon and our customers have responded very enthusiastically to the release,” said Jill Hamburger, vice president of movies and games at Best Buy.

Developed by Bungie Studios, the “Halo” franchise is exclusive to the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system and optimized for the Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network. The more than 7 million Xbox LIVE users will get a continually evolving gaming experience with “Halo 3.” Its online multiplayer and cooperative gameplay for Xbox LIVE Gold users, the much-talked-about Saved Films feature that enables players to capture and save their favorite moments on their hard drives, and Forge, an innovative map editor that enables infinite customization options are just some of the new features to experience.

More than 10,000 retailers hosted Midnight Madness events to celebrate the launch of this third installment in the billion-dollar franchise. In New York, Seattle, Miami and Los Angeles, Microsoft and retail partners hosted marquee launch events that featured contests and appearances by local celebrities and professional athletes who are fanatical about the “Halo” franchise, including Ludacris and Zac Efron and Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates.

More than 1.7 million copies of “Halo 3” were preordered in the United States before a single store opened its doors at midnight, Sept. 25, making this the fasting pre-selling game in history, surpassing the previous record-setting pre-sales of “Halo 2.” Well beyond just a U.S. phenomenon, the launch of “Halo 3” was a worldwide celebration that released in 37 countries and available in 17 languages.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Beat it on Legendary last night. Absolutely fantastic. The last level was perfect.
[Show]
Anyone notice that when in the last few levels, when you fight the flood which has 3 forms (4 legged crawly thing, huge brutish looking guy, or what appears to be a standing, living turret) they are extremely difficult to kill, but if you slap them with a brute shot they die instantly?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thanks for the invite last night boog! I had fun with the gravity hammer match. I would have stuck around longer but I had like 6 different groups of people that wanted to play with me and I had to try and play a few w/ everyone.

It was actually kind of sad how much enjoyment I got every time I bashed sylvus w/ the hammer, but I can't help it. P.S. sylvus, I know you hate me and all, but did you avoid me on xbl?? I tried to add you to my friends last night but I didn't even have the option.. I figure at very least it is probably therapeutic for us to kill each other online..
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The Gravity Hammer and Energy Sword matches were a blast. I'll have to remember to remove grenades in the future though. I did so in the sword match, but I left them in the hammer match since I thought it would take far too long to get to 50 points. My timing with the melee attacks sucks!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think that the grenades were a good idea on the sand level, it's too damn big not to have something other than the hammer!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:It was actually kind of sad how much enjoyment I got every time I bashed sylvus w/ the hammer, but I can't help it. P.S. sylvus, I know you hate me and all, but did you avoid me on xbl?? I tried to add you to my friends last night but I didn't even have the option.. I figure at very least it is probably therapeutic for us to kill each other online..
I think I killed you like 3 times in a row when I first saw you get on. Was great fun, I lol'ed every time I did it. :) Then you got me a couple times and I was still having a good time.

I didn't do anything special to block you or anything, so if it didn't present you with the option, I don't know what is wrong. I don't hate you, I just dislike your posting style a lot of the time. I have no problem grouping with or against you in Halo. Killing each other is a lot of fun.

If anyone reading this wants to add me as a friend, feel free. Waran, I got your invite to the game last night but was in the middle of a match, and when I got out it said the invite was no longer valid. That's when I selected Stragi and just jumped into that match.

Go Blue!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:I think that the grenades were a good idea on the sand level, it's too damn big not to have something other than the hammer!
Was someone driving those huge tank things with the turrets on that level, or do they move around independently? I liked manning a turret, breaking it off, and trying to go all chain-gun on people with the hammers.

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Is there any way to get a list of xbox live tags (since it's part of the profile) ? I'm going to add everyone on this thread, but would be nice to add everyone that plays. Also, can you add xbox live friends in a web browser or something? I hate entering it on the xbox.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I think that the grenades were a good idea on the sand level, it's too damn big not to have something other than the hammer!
Was someone driving those huge tank things with the turrets on that level, or do they move around independently? I liked manning a turret, breaking it off, and trying to go all chain-gun on people with the hammers.
Hell yeah, I was driving one around at one point. They are slow as shit but you can get the whole damn team on the thing and have almost enough turrets for everyone to have their own! Pretty cool imo.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aardor wrote:Is there any way to get a list of xbox live tags (since it's part of the profile) ? I'm going to add everyone on this thread, but would be nice to add everyone that plays. Also, can you add xbox live friends in a web browser or something? I hate entering it on the xbox.
There is a gamertag thread around somewhere, and yes you can add friends in a browser. If you go to xbox.com and sign in, then click on "my xbox" in the upper right, you will see links to do everything you can on the console plus some, viewing/adding friends is one of those things.
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

Quite the blast we had playing several maps last night. Thanks to Boog and others for joining my games in progress last night. 5 of my friends and I were playing at a friends house with two of our 360s, unfortunately we had no mics to talk on.

That Sanddune level is simply amazing and clicking my guide button was great to see like 6 or more friends playing Halo 3. Xbox Live is definitely getting a workout ;) After a few games, I started adding everyone on my friends list to our games hehe. So no worries Sylvus, I'm sure we'll get more gaming in shortly :)

The equipment other than your standard grenades really adds an element to gameplay you really have to take part in to succeed. The Energy Drain sphere is just a powerhouse against vehicles. That thing gets near it and boom, shut down vehicle.

That Elephant (Big Green Vehicle) is fun times :) It's almost like a mini-base with all the chain guns and places to store your Mongoose ATV to jump off and roll out!

There was one map last night I racked up 30 kills with the Warthog chain gun. I was definitely ON FIRE! Wheee

I'm really REALLY enjoying this game, moreso than the other Halo's. Although I'm cranked up on Game Fuel I stayed up till about 2AM playing co-op campaign with another friend LOL.

See you guys online!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:
That was the Elephant transport. It can be driven by using the terminal on the second floor (go up the ramp from the bottom level and into the alcove there). It has 2-3 turrets. I drove our team's up into that valley. I think Funk or someone else was grinding the blue team up as we made our way there. I was getting kill assist messages as I drove that slow beast into everyone.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Picked up teh Haloz today. Will be playing it tonight.
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

So far as I know for Xbox Live Gamertags from this thread alone. If any info is wrong, or you just want it removed, PM me and I'll change it.

Waran
mp72 - Sylvus
corin12 - Boogahz
ToPsHoTTa47 - Funkmaster
sylblaydis - Fash
BeaverButter - Vaemas
Phoenix612 - Aardor
ThePyr0 - Pyrella
hatchie - Sumdaor
KimJ0ngIl - stragi
Anirask - Animalor
Fuzzy Z - Winnow
The Biffin - Guess ;P
Bisky Campst - Aevian Dreaklear
bunkeru2k = Kilmoll
rellix2 - Mr. Bacon :)
Tyekk - Tyek

Personal Friends:
djscompton (Very good at Halo, prepare to get your ass handed to you)
venom1780
Bomberjester
Last edited by Waran on October 2, 2007, 4:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

hah, you can remove Winnow from that list. He can't take his hacked 360 online, and he was just using the gamertag field to promote "world peace."
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

Just realized that rofl :)
Biffin
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: The Biffin

Post by Biffin »

The Biffin is happily astonished at how much fun the game is :) Has anyone had a chance to check out the Infection mode? It looks to be top fun.
The Biffin
Pika Pi!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:hah, you can remove Winnow from that list. He can't take his hacked 360 online, and he was just using the gamertag field to promote "world peace."
My real gamer tag is on the original Xbox gamer tag thread!

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... 14&t=16767

Halo 3 is all about online play (and some COOP).

I'll be back on XBox Live as soon as the cooler chip 360's are released. I don't want to buy a second box until then.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Followed some links and came across this :
Xbox.com wrote:Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (black): The sleek black finish of this high-performance wireless controller matches the style of the Elite Console. It has a range of up to 30 feet and a battery life of 30 hours on two AA batteries. Also sold separatley.
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

Another story from last night during Sandstorm, I managed to get the Brute Stick and was running around. Smacking the unsuspecting enemies hiding all around the map.

Someone on a Mongoose was attempting to run me down. The Mongoose hit a hill in the terrain as he was coming towards me and went airborne. One swing of my "baseball bat" and the guy went flying, Mongoose and all. Homerun swing! My teammate shot him with a rocket as I launched him out of the park.

I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. Was so damn funny lol
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Mongoose splatter gets you a piece of unlockable armor! I've died a bunch of times trying to run over people with it
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Sorry about tonight Stragi. I was wrestling with the disk Read Errors that a lot of people seem to be having.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/defective/halo ... 304600.php

I couldn't load the campaign mode at all. I deleted the Halo3 file on the HDD and cleared the HDD cache and everything seems to be working now so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:Mongoose splatter gets you a piece of unlockable armor! I've died a bunch of times trying to run over people with it

Is there a list of what unlocks each piece of armor somewhere?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:
Aardor wrote:Mongoose splatter gets you a piece of unlockable armor! I've died a bunch of times trying to run over people with it

Is there a list of what unlocks each piece of armor somewhere?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360 ... 26632.html

I was wrong about the mongoose (it's just a normal achievement). However, getting "Weapon of Choice: Mongoose" for a game might be my biggest accomplishment in an online game.
Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

I just picked up the game last night. Everyone please feel free to add me to your friends list, I'd love to find some new people to play multiplayer with. XBL tag is Bisky Campst
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

bunkeru2k = Kilmoll

Last night at about 11:00 est there were more than half a MILLION people online playing Halo. Too bad the connection sucks and people keep getting dropped.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

That's odd. I have yet to be dropped from any game. Finished my Basic Training badge yesterday and got into some great CTF games.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have yet to be dropped as well, or lag for that matter. I was working on finishing up the campaign and grabbing some of the skulls too. I have to say I really really like this game, it might have landed a spot on my top 5 console games list at this point :D
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Speaking of the skulls. How exactly do you grab them? I only found the final one (wasn't even looking for it), but I had no clue how to pick it up.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:Speaking of the skulls. How exactly do you grab them? I only found the final one (wasn't even looking for it), but I had no clue how to pick it up.
Just like a weapon, press and hold RB. Also, all the skull effects are "bad" (make the game harder), so be carful. I picked up one that upgraded the rank of every enemy, and it made the level on legendary a real PITA.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

When you pick them up, can you switch to your other gun still? I guess I also have that question for the "Oddball" game in multiplayer.

For some reason I was just assuming you couldn't fight while you had it, but only just now considered that you might be able to swap to the other weapon in your inventory. I've yet to see a skull in the campaign, and I usually veto those Oddball games.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I tried holding RB to pick it up as well. I never saw any kind of on-screen indicator of what I needed to do with it. I just saw the skull on the ground and climbed around pushing/holding buttons to pick it up. Is this only available in co-op mode?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't think you can switch to other weapons while you have it, it will drop the skull if you do.

If you want to get any of the skulls (or all for the achievements) I would look up a list online, most of them are hidden so ridiculously well that you aren't going to find them if you don't look at a guide of where they are...
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

You don't need to actually carry the skull. Just pick it up and them drop it.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Yeah, you can't use a weapon while holding the odd ball (or skull), but you can throw gernades and pistol whip with the ball (which did a ton of damage in halo 2, haven't gotten any ball game types in halo 3). For the campaign, you can just pick the skull up, and then drop it to get the achievement/flag.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah smacking someone w/ the skull does do a ton of damage, I think it's pretty much a 1 hit kill if you hit them.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Vaemas »

Oddball melee does do some rather nice damage. One-hit a buddy of mine the other night. Also, you can toss the ball, shoot the bitch, then pick it up again, if you're smooth.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!