Will they ever pander to me?

What do you think about the world?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Will they ever pander to me?

Post by Nick »

Oh look everyone, its a gun toting creationist bigot calling a pot smoker a miscreant, what a fucking surprise.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Sylvus wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:No one will pander to a group of people that care enough about society to break laws regularly. It is not even about whether I think one should or should not be able to smoke pot. It is that you are a miscreant that cannot control yourself enough to obey the laws that society has in place here. There are many laws that can vary from city to city and you can expect to either adjust to where you live, move, or be arrested. The U.S. says no to pot and you choose to disregard that because you have to get high.
That's kind of a silly position to take. Do you feel that alcohol should have remained under prohibition, black people should be viewed as property, women shouldn't be able to vote, abortions should be illegal or people of different races shouldn't be allowed to marry? Because if people didn't question and ultimately break those laws, the laws would still exist. Do you feel that you should unquestioningly support all laws that have been passed in the United States, or do you think it's reasonable to question the validity of a law? Personally, I go with the latter, and think this is a healthy discussion to have.
There is a difference in obeying a law and agreeing with it. I guess from the people who just responded to my post, I should not be shocked that none knows the difference. There are a shit ton of laws I think suck, but I don't break them just because I feel like it. For what it is worth, if they actually did change the law to legalize pot, I would try it once. However, with it being illegal and the conequences of it can affect a career, I would not even consider it.

The way to get laws changed is to use facts and public opinion to get your views to the lawmakers. Breaking the laws won't get them changed and no one is going to broach this as part of their platform. It would be the same with many laws they have on the books now.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I can't believe you would even bother posting that kind of response (either of the last two), and expect anything but negative responses.

Again,
Your "I won't do it because it's illegal even if I wanted to" response is typical die hard republican crap that I cannot bear to listen to. And I would like to know what effects this could have on your career, because I would love to know.. I have been moving up through the ranks faster than almost anyone else at my current job, and have been smoking almost daily.

Not to mention the legal consequences are a joke. Worst case scenario you might spend the night in Jail and do some community service/pay a fine.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:And I would like to know what effects this could have on your career, because I would love to know.. I have been moving up through the ranks faster than almost anyone else at my current job, and have been smoking almost daily.
Some employers will fire you for drug use. Some test when you get the job, and some test while you have the job.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:And I would like to know what effects this could have on your career, because I would love to know.. I have been moving up through the ranks faster than almost anyone else at my current job, and have been smoking almost daily.
Some employers will fire you for drug use. Some test when you get the job, and some test while you have the job.
And anyone with 50 dollars and a GNC nearby them can go from smoking all day every day to being clean in a matter of 12 hours.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Boogahz wrote:
And anyone with 50 dollars and a GNC nearby them can go from smoking all day every day to being clean in a matter of 12 hours.
and fired in 30 minutes if their employer finds out. It's a risk you (or people with that type of employer) take.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

This is true... If you're in a situation involving random screenings (I know people who work for fedex who wish they could smoke but won't take the chance) then you're not able to... and that's fine and dandy as a condition of employment. I will take my 'labor' elsewhere as that is my choice as well.

Some also test, but not for pot. Of course, they don't tell you that... I was applying for a job once where I didn't really care if I got it or not, didn't stop smoking and even smoked the night before the test, and still got the job.

Public perception is not as anti-marijuana as some might have you think...
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fash wrote:Public perception is not as anti-marijuana as some might have you think...

As others have pointed out on these boards, it all depends on what "public" you are around most.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

What alternate reality are you living in where following laws is die hard republican crap?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:What alternate reality are you living in where following laws is die hard republican crap?
The alternate reality where I have heard 3 people I can think of off the top of my head, who are all die hard republicans (one being my girlfriends mother) that have said what you said almost to the word. And in general, the real die hard republicans I have spoken with tend to not question things (like we are supposed to do as Americans), but to accept them for what they are just because.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You should be a scientist or pollster using that enormous sample to prove your theories.
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

Public perception is not as anti-marijuana as some might have you think...
Recent polls I've found say that 41% of Americans think that marijuana should be legalized. That's up from 34% in 2001. The vast majority (80%) of Americans feel that medical marijuana should be legalized.

http://www.medicalmarijuanaprocon.org/pop/votes2000.htm

I believe it's important to follow laws, but it's also important to know if you feel the law is just.
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:You should be a scientist or pollster using that enormous sample to prove your theories.
Well I want to live in your world where everything is so cut and dry and non believers like myself go to the bad place. Wait, no I don't.
Nasshi
No Stars!

Post by Nasshi »

Pot can be laced with anything from pcp, to cocaine to formaldehyde. That's not a typical practice by dealers, and people who don't want their weed that way usually won't get it that way. You typically have to pay extra for the "doctored up version", ... but beware smoking weed at parties, because you never know wtf you're going to get. With pcp, the effects can be instant, horrific and lifelong.

Live long, and smoke safe.

And yeah, I'm for making it legal, for MANY reasons that have nothing to do with recreation.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:
Wulfran wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:I agree that booze is worse than pot. Anyone that disagrees with that is either ignorant or trolling.

I know a couple of people that never seemed to "grow out" of smoking weed and partying every weekend. They still get shitfaced like a highschool freshman every Friday and Saturday night. I think it's pathetic. Moderation is your friend.
I'll bite on this. To me, pot is worse than booze. I stopped smoking weed in college because I found that getting stoned would put me in a brain dead zone for about 3 days after whereas with booze the hangover was gone in 24. I could afford (and still can :p) to lose a day now and then but not 3. I'm not ignorant, or trolling. I liked getting stoned now and then, I LOVED the smell of hash, but it is something my life (for professional reasons) can simply not afford on more than some very rare occasions. I agree moderation is always a good thing but for me, moderation means maybe on a vacation or something... and I was never big on buying from people I didn't know, especially some place where the laws/enforcement may be different from what I am used to.

And back in the late 80s, at some parties, I did smoke what some guys claimed were "coke laced" joints but I never noticed much difference in the buzz or taste which led me to think it was a) bullshit and just good ole whack and/or b) a waste of time and money :p Some of the guys I worked with had more money than brains and this may have just been an example of it.

Finally, as far as decriminalization, I'm in favour of it but it is also something (as I've said on many occasions) that I think needs a lot more hard science to back up, in terms of long term effects (and thus possible costs to the health care system).
That is understandable. Weed does that to some people. But some people are like me and can smoke weed then go do Calculus. As long as I dont smoke some heavy indica or something, but a good sativa is a big upper. Not that I do smoke before doing math or science, I try to avoid that...but I'll smoke all night if I have to write a paper. Never smoke before class though, too hard to take notes.
Ha. I'm the same way. I'll never smoke before math, but I've been high for each and every college paper I've written. There is nothing more beautiful than a raw, natural, high brainwave transferred perfectly into writing. It's much easier to visualize an entire paper, break it down mentally, then transfer thoughts to Word while baked as fuck. Getting high is much more fun now than it used to be, because I can apply it to my life and improve areas (like writing ability) while still sitting on cloud nine listening to some reggae or tool.

With math, I'm learning something new, and that doesn't mix well with weed. Writing, on the other hand, is more of an expression... something that can be improved upon when one is more in tune with their own thoughts. I don't know. I should get high and then make this post again.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Fash wrote:I meant stop signs, but anyways... no, you're not crying for repealing those laws, but you are demonizing someone for breaking one law when you admit you break one too. If it being signed into law is the only reason, then they must be equally weighted.

Just because you pay a speeding ticket and move on doesn't make it any better... Funk said before he doesn't even care if he gets caught in possession... I don't either. I've been so close so many times, it doesn't affect my tension level. Not only am I calm in the presence of the authorities, I would not be ashamed. I would be honest and confident that there's nothing wrong with it. I would accept whatever penalty (though I don't expect any... enforcement is so lax) and pay any price, to protect what I think is right. That my good sir is an example of patriotism and what America was built on.
Shit Fash. Keep this up and I'll just memorize everything you type.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Leonaerd wrote: Ha. I'm the same way. I'll never smoke before math, but I've been high for each and every college paper I've written. There is nothing more beautiful than a raw, natural, high brainwave transferred perfectly into writing. It's much easier to visualize an entire paper, break it down mentally, then transfer thoughts to Word while baked as fuck. Getting high is much more fun now than it used to be, because I can apply it to my life and improve areas (like writing ability) while still sitting on cloud nine listening to some reggae or tool.

With math, I'm learning something new, and that doesn't mix well with weed. Writing, on the other hand, is more of an expression... something that can be improved upon when one is more in tune with their own thoughts. I don't know. I should get high and then make this post again.
That just proves how worthless English degrees are ;)
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

That just proves how worthless English degrees are ;)
William S. Burroughs. Jack Kerouac. Aldous Huxley. THE LIST GOES ON.

Is a music degree worthless because much of the modern era's great music has been composed and performed while fucked up?

I agree that music and english degrees are largely worthless, but it has nothing to do with the influence of drugs upon written or composed products.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Awesome, I'm doing an English degree, worthless wastes of time, hooray!

oh wait no
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Nick wrote:Awesome, I'm doing an English degree, worthless wastes of time, hooray!
That and a fishing pole will make you a fisherman. :p
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Nick wrote:Awesome, I'm doing an English degree, worthless wastes of time, hooray!

oh wait no
On the plus side, there's a *lot* of women in arts degrees... when I started my Comp. Eng. degree there were something like 2 girls in 400 or so students. I think I need to go back and study basket weaving...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.