Knocked up

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Knocked up

Post by Sparty »

For the first time in many years, I went to the movies and snuck into a second movie. By the end of the 4 hour movie marathon, my eyes were bugging out, but I felt great about my choices.
The first movie I saw was Surfs Up. I may be a little biased (I work at Sony Imageworks), but I thought this was a damn good film. Not quite pixar quality, but damn close. Great for the kids, and witty enough to keep the grownups happy.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0423294/

The second movie I saw (and thank god I did) was "Knocked up". It was written and directed by Judd Apatow of "40 Year Old Virgin" fame. My god is this an amazing movie. One of the best comedies ever im my opinion. Its funny, its smart, its real, its touching. To me, it is the perfect movie.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0478311/
Check it out!

My name is Sparty
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: Knocked up

Post by Sylvus »

Yeah, I saw Knocked Up a couple weeks ago, and I really enjoyed it. Very funny movie, I definitely recommend it.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Sparty is breakin' the law, breakin' the law!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I bet you the squad doesn't come down on sparty about his theft.
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

I really enjoyed this movie as well!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

My wife and I saw this the other day and both really enjoyed it.
I would definitely recommend it.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:I bet you the squad doesn't come down on sparty about his theft.
what squad?

Go Blue!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:I bet you the squad doesn't come down on sparty about his theft.
Heh, I think the only person who's made a deal about that here is me... and there's a big difference between sneaking into a movie theatre and downloading/stealing terabytes worth of movies, music and software. That's like comparing a kid who steals some candy from the corner store to Kenneth Lay. :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Heh, I think the only person who's made a deal about that here is me... and there's a big difference between sneaking into a movie theatre and downloading/stealing terabytes worth of movies, music and software. That's like comparing a kid who steals some candy from the corner store to Kenneth Lay. :)

haha, yeah it wasn't only you though in your defense.. I just don't remember who else.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:
what squad?

guilty conscience? :P
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

no, i was interested in who he thought was conspiring against him. i wasn't familiar with an anti-sneaking-into-movies brigade.

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you're going to sneak into a theater, bring a camcoder and post it for us all!
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

[Show]
Don't let the door hit your vagina on the way out!
Absolutely love this movie, so many funny moments and great exchanges. Go see it now what are you waiting for?!
[Show]
Watch out for the final moments of birth ;)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Overall a funny, entertaining movie! It's kinda strange seeing the same cast from 40 Year Old Virgin in another movie but the Super Troopers Crew does that as well so I'm betting we'll see this group again. Their first two movies are winners.

8.3/10
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Just got back from this. What a great movie!! Though I loved 40 Year Old Virgin I thought this was a step up from the previous film.

Judd Apatow, the writer and director of both films was also an important writer in the short-lived series Freaks and Geeks. Apatow also cast several actors from that series in Knocked Up (including Ben:the main character). I recommend renting DVDs of Freaks and Geeks if you have never watched it. Along with Arrested Development, it is a comedy series that deserves much more attention than viewer ratings have allowed.
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

My wife made me watch Knocked Up. Not a bad movie but still a chick flick. There is some seriously funny dialogue that had me laughing very well but there is also some seriously bad dialogue as well. This is the kind of movie that you turn on while you are playing video games and only watch the funny parts. Casting was completely unbelievable and I mean that in that you have this very good looking girl and then you have a guy that would rival Ron Jeremy in looks. You could tell the script was written by a guy with no concept of the female mind. Let me explain. First, you have a hot chick with a great job seemingly interested in the biggest loser in the world. Most women I know would have raced the opposite way immediately, not try to make something work after a one night stand. The whole plot was very stretched in this way.

Like 40-year-old virgin, if you are looking for a few good laughs and absolutely leave all possible credibility at the door then you will like this movie. It was painful for me to watch at times myself. I found 40 funny at times as well but not that great.

I give this movie a 6 out of 10 because my wife is pregnant and the whole "Hormones" rant was really fucking hilarious. Otherwise 5 out of 10.
Deward
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I went and saw this last night, and completely disagree with the above statement. This movie was outrageously funny. They pretty much nailed the whole situation perfectly. My brother has a family with a kid (pretty much Paul Rudd without the lavish house in LA), and I could relate to the movie very easily. A lot of the situations mirrored exactly what my brother went through having his kid, as well as a few of my friends. I will give you the hormonal rant, though, that was just fucking hilarious.

I also think that the whole romance between Ben and Allison was believable. I have seen the absolute oafish guy get the hottest girl in the bar before (hell, you guys should see my neighbors), so that part wasn't far fetched at all. Even a few of the girls I've been with were above my league and pay grade. They were both thrown into that situation and had to make the best of it, which probably happens everyday in America. You could really see Allison trying to fight through all the shit that Ben was getting into until she couldnt take it anymore, forcing Ben to change.

Just because you presumably have had little luck in bagging a really good looking girl (I'm gathering this from your post, btw) doesn't mean that others can't. It's pretty foolish to dismiss a movie because of that scenario.
Fuck Michigan!
Deward
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Deward »

Actually my wife is pretty good looking and I have bagged some hot chicks. I just didn't find the movie believable from the dating standpoint. The pregnancy part was definitely believable but if I had acted like that around my current wife she would have dumped to the curb and I would have deserved it and expected it.
Deward
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

[Show]
Yeah, she definately put up with more shit than most would take, and she did kick him to the curb, but he did come through at the end. I really think that trying to handle raising a kid on her own coupled with the fact that she had that great job, was way too much to do on her own. Since picking up a new man while pregnant is either impossible or highly pathetic on the guys part (imo), Ben was the best (only) choice.
Fuck Michigan!