ATI x1300 HD to component?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Midgen
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: MidgenPlays

ATI x1300 HD to component?

Post by Midgen »

So I need some help figuring out how to connect my Radeon x1300 out to my TV on component.

The VGA and HDMI ports are taken. Component is the only inputs I have left.

This is the card I have.

http://visiontek.com/products/cards/ret ... 12agp.html
visiontek.com wrote:
  • Display support (for x1300 512MB AGP 8x)
    • VGA, DVI-I, TV-Out
    • Dual Link DVI (up to 2560 x 1600 resolution)
    Component HDTV YPbPr output (adapter sold separately)
    • S-Video & Composite Video TV-Out
    • Dual VGA (with DVI to VGA adapter
I'm trying to find that adapter they mention being 'sold separately'. It doesn't indicate if this adapter is a DVI-I to Component dongle, or some other kind of adapter. The card has 3 outputs. A VGA, DVI-I, and something that looks like an S-Video connector.

I have found several places, including ATI and VisionTek themselves who sell a DVI to Component adapter, but those productions specifically mention older cards (9800's and older) and that they don't work with newer cards.

Monoprice sells a DVI to Component cable, but those have a disclaimer that they are only for video devices, and will not work for computers.

Is anyone familiar with how to make this connection? And where I might get this adapter from?
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, that's similar to what my card came with.

here's a link to a picture of the dongle...if it works
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

If you can't get one of the adapters listed before, you could always go VGA to component.

I think any of these will work, but I just googled "vga to component" to find them:
http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/vg ... ocable.htm

Is there any reason you wanted DVI to component? VGA to component should look exactly the same since both VGA and component are analog, so DVI to component would just lose the extra information.

I have used a VGA to component cable like the ones i linked before without any problems (or noticeable difference).
Midgen
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: MidgenPlays

Post by Midgen »

Hmm,

I guess I could go VGA to component. The monitor I'm using right now on that sytsem is VGA only, so that port is taken (I'm going to run dual screen to a monitor and the TV). I have a different monitor I could use that has a DVI interface, so I could switch to the VGA for the TV.

I'm going to order that adapter Zaeleth linked. Hopefully that will work, but I'm a bit concerned over the quaility of the video coming out of the S-Video interface. I'm also not sure how that will work as far as which output that will be. Is the S-Video out the same as the DVI? Or the VGA?

I don't know much about the signaling that comes out of these cards over various interfaces. I'm just going to experiment until I find something that works.

Thanks for teh infoz all. Much appreciated.

Edit: I guess I should have mentioned in my first post. I plan to run this TV as a second display, with the resoulution at 1920x1080.