iTunes

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Venti
Gets Around
Gets Around

iTunes

Post by Venti »

So, I use iTunes for music downloading, importing etc. What I seem to be unable to figure out, is how can I burn the music I bought in an MP3 format so I can fit more onto a CD. Settings are set to burn in MP3, etc but when I try to burn, it says that the music is in AAC (whatever its called) protected format and can not be burned.

what the hell?
~Venti
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM.

I'm unsure of what iTunes policy is on burning but I believe that if you can burn, it'll have to be done through iTune's interface. Otherwise, the only way you'll be able to carry the media you've paid for around is on a device authorised by Apple(aka an iPod).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not to hijack the thread with a comment tht has little to do with the original post, skip this post iPod lovers, but this reminded me of something I ran into last weekend on my trip to Tucson.

One of my friends I went to visit was showing me his new iPod shuffle. He had no idea of my unhealthy hatred of Apple and iPods and I said nothing while he continued on about how he had previously burned his entire CD collection in WMA format to his PC hard drive before winning the Apple shuffle in some work contest (you didn't think he'd actually buy an iPod did you!?) and was complaining that he had to convert them all to Ipod's format so he used double the space on his PC to store two formats and had to wait for all of his music to convert. I'm not a big fan of WMA but hey, it's his choice!

I chuckled, and let him know that all portable MP3 players weren't as retarded as Apple's and that there's this amazing trend for most companies to allow different formats on their players like WMA files...but for some reason the people who run Apple are a bunch asshats and require everything be converted to their format and still haven't learned from the ass beating they've taken in the OS wars dating back to the 80's, that opening up their systems allows for growth gains in market share.

Reason #847 to not buy an iPod, brought to you by Winnow!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: iTunes

Post by noel »

Venti wrote:So, I use iTunes for music downloading, importing etc. What I seem to be unable to figure out, is how can I burn the music I bought in an MP3 format so I can fit more onto a CD. Settings are set to burn in MP3, etc but when I try to burn, it says that the music is in AAC (whatever its called) protected format and can not be burned.

what the hell?
You can only burn the Itunes purchased music (*.M4Ps) in CDA (CD Audio) format. You can't burn it as an MP3 because the MP3 format doesn't support DRM. Your best bet is to get an iPod and an iPod connection in your vehicle or wherever. Alternatively, you can burn your .m4p files to CDA then import them as MP3s which is a total pain in the ass and will degrade the quality of your audio.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Winnow wrote:Not to hijack the thread with a comment tht has little to do with the original post, skip this post iPod lovers, but this reminded me of something I ran into last weekend on my trip to Tucson.

One of my friends I went to visit was showing me his new iPod shuffle. He had no idea of my unhealthy hatred of Apple and iPods and I said nothing while he continued on about how he had previously burned his entire CD collection in WMA format to his PC hard drive before winning the Apple shuffle in some work contest (you didn't think he'd actually buy an iPod did you!?) and was complaining that he had to convert them all to Ipod's format so he used double the space on his PC to store two formats and had to wait for all of his music to convert. I'm not a big fan of WMA but hey, it's his choice!

I chuckled, and let him know that all portable MP3 players weren't as retarded as Apple's and that there's this amazing trend for most companies to allow different formats on their players like WMA files...but for some reason the people who run Apple are a bunch asshats and require everything be converted to their format and still haven't learned from the ass beating they've taken in the OS wars dating back to the 80's, that opening up their systems allows for growth gains in market share.

Reason #847 to not buy an iPod, brought to you by Winnow!
I don't understand what's retarded about that other than your friend burning it to WMA in the first place. Any music he got should have been burned into MP3 format since it will play on all players and has no DRM. I have no fucking clue why anyone would burn anything that they had on CD in any format other than MP3.

It would be different if he'd bought it all from somewhere that only used the WMA or M4P format and was then stuck in that scenario, but as described it's your friend's own fault and your overzealous hatred of Apple is misplaced at best.

It is only because of my respect for your opinions that I cleaned up that last sentence to be as inoffensive as possible. You post great opinions when you're being unbiased, but when you get into your unhealthy technology religion mode it really makes you look foolish.

Here's an illustration of what I'm talking about:
Bizzaro-Winnow wrote:Not to hijack the thread with a comment tht has little to do with the original post, skip this post Zen lovers, but this reminded me of something I ran into last weekend on my trip to Tucson.

One of my friends I went to visit was showing me his new Zen Media Player. He had no idea of my unhealthy hatred of Creative and Zens and I said nothing while he continued on about how he had previously burned his entire CD collection in Itunes M4P format to his PC hard drive before winning the Zen in some work contest (you didn't think he'd actually buy an Zen did you!?) and was complaining that he had to convert them all to MP3 or WMA format so he used double the space on his PC to store two formats and had to wait for all of his music to convert. I'm not a big fan of M4P but hey, it's his choice!

I chuckled, and let him know that all portable MP3 players weren't as retarded as Creatives and that there's this amazing trend for most companies to allow different formats on their players like M4P files...but for some reason the people who run Creative are a bunch asshats and require everything be converted to their format and still haven't learned from the ass beating they've taken in the sound card wars dating back to the 80's, that opening up their systems allows for growth gains in market share.

Reason #847 to not buy an Zen, brought to you by Winnow!
BTW you're misinformed in your second to last paragraph. iPod's allow you to play either MP3s natively or their M4P format. So it's basically the same as the Zen other than the Zen has chosen to make use of MP3 and the MS DRMed WMA format.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

but for some reason the people who run Apple are a bunch asshats and require everything be converted to their format
Since when are MP3, AIFF, WAV, MPEG-4, and AAC proprietary formats?

Are you retarded or just ignorant?

It's not Apple's fault your friend chose to rip his music into a format that is not a universally supported standard. At least ITunes can convert his WMAs into MP3s, making them playable on every MP3 player he may decide to purchase in the future.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: iTunes

Post by miir »

Venti wrote:So, I use iTunes for music downloading, importing etc. What I seem to be unable to figure out, is how can I burn the music I bought in an MP3 format so I can fit more onto a CD. Settings are set to burn in MP3, etc but when I try to burn, it says that the music is in AAC (whatever its called) protected format and can not be burned.

what the hell?
As Noel already mentioned.
You'll have to burn your purchased music (something winnow knows nothing about) on to an audio CD (using itunes) and import it back (preferably into MP3 format) into ITunes before you can burn them on to a data CD.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lets see...Windows is by far the most used OS in the world and the default music format is WMA when you record songs using Windows Media Player. I'm not a fan of the format but I'd at least support it if I was making a portable music player.

You miss the point that Apple could easily support Divx, Xvid, WMA, OGM, etc, etc, etc. but they choose not to, specifically due to greed. iTunes greed is what limits the formats you can use on iPods. Combine that with the overall worse sound quality, displays, lack of features, and it makes for product that sells well for the wrong reasons. iPods aren't the best product, they're the best marketed product.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Lets see...IPods are by far the most used MP3 players in the world and the default music format is M4P when you record songs using Itunes. I'm not a fan of the format but I'd at least support it if I was making a media player.

You miss the point that Microsoft could easily support Divx, Xvid, M4P, OGM, RA etc, etc, etc. but they choose not to, specifically due to greed. Microsoft greed is what limits the formats you can use on Windows Media Player. ....

Blah blah blah...

Winnow, why don't stuff a fucking sock in it already..

You're like a broken record.
You like to steal massive quantities of movies, music and games, love your zen and second life and you dont like ipods or sony...

You're by and large the most annoying poster on VV... worse than even cartalas and metanis.... mostly because the sheer volume of garbage that you post.

At least I limit my annoying shit to the WoW forum.. and i only faggot that up every 4-6 weeks.... your faggotry on VV is all-encompassing and unavoidable.

Give it a rest already.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Another one loses their grip. Two down!

The "blah blah blah" defense slides in right in behind the Chewbacca defense in effectiveness.

The quality of your posts on this board rank around Searyx for usefulness Miir. Predominately being garbage one-liner, non witty, comments that end with the always lame "..." in the hope of leaving readers with the impression that you actually know something more than the god-awful attempt at a useful reply you spit out.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Winnow wrote:Lets see...Windows is by far the most used OS in the world and the default music format is WMA when you record songs using Windows Media Player. I'm not a fan of the format but I'd at least support it if I was making a portable music player.
Actually the default burning format is whatever you tell it to be. If you leave it as the default you have WMA which is proprietary to Microsoft. The first thing I do on all of my burning software is to change the default format to MP3 at the highest bit-rate possible.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The first thing I do on all of my burning software is to change the default format to MP3 at the highest bit-rate possible.
I do the same.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

noel wrote:
Winnow wrote:Lets see...Windows is by far the most used OS in the world and the default music format is WMA when you record songs using Windows Media Player. I'm not a fan of the format but I'd at least support it if I was making a portable music player.
Actually the default burning format is whatever you tell it to be. If you leave it as the default you have WMA which is proprietary to Microsoft. The first thing I do on all of my burning software is to change the default format to MP3 at the highest bit-rate possible.
You can switch it yes, but the "default" is WMA. Considering not all computers users are hobbiests, they'll leave things on the default.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

My point though is that it's the same way with Itunes. The default is (AAC) *.M4P but you can change it to MP3 or use MP3s.

Of course the big advantage to using WMA or AAC (roughly the same in quality/size) over MP3 is the amount of disk space you consume. AAC/WMA are smaller size at better quality than MP3s.

Good info below:
What’s the difference between WMA and AAC?
In terms of functionality, there is very little difference. Some audiophiles will tell you one format sounds better than the other, but for most people, the difference is indiscernible.

WMA stands for Windows Media Audio, and was developed by Microsoft. It is a proprietary format. In order for developers of software music players or portable music players to include support for WMA in their product, they must play a license fee to Microsoft. WMA is the format chosen by online music stores including Napster, Wal-mart, and Musicmatch. If you purchase a song from these stores, it will be in WMA format. Most digital music players sold today can play WMA files — the notable exception is Apple’s iPod, the most popular player on the market today (there are rumors that Apple may add WMA support to the iPod, but they are yet to be proven).

AAC stands for Advanced Audio Codec. It is an open standard developed by a committee that included Dobly Labs and AT&T Research. If you are a developer, it does not require a license fee to use in your software application or portable music player. AAC is based upon the same technology as MPEG-4. Apple has chosen a variant of AAC as the file format for their iTunes Music Store, which is far and away the most popular music store online at this time. Apple’s iTunes software and iPod player can play both standard AAC files as well as the variant of AAC provided by the iTunes Music Store (more on this variant later). Few, if any, other digital music players can handle AAC files.

What is a DRM?
DRM stands for Digital Rights Management, and is a generic term for a system built into a music file format that aides in preventing piracy. WMA includes an (optional) DRM system. Most WMA-supporting online music stores use this DRM. Apple developed a DRM system called Fairplay, which sets on top of the industry standard AAC format. Fairplay is used in files purchased form the iTunes Music Store.

Why the new file formats? What was wrong with good ol’ MP3?
Nothing is wrong with the MP3 format, and every digital music player sold today supports MP3 files — including the iPod. However, MP3 does not have a DRM option, and therefore record companies were very skeptical about releasing legal downloadable versions of their music in this format. Doing so would have only increased the level of MP3 piracy. For this reason, record companies did not jump onboard with online music sales until Fariplay and the Windows Media DRM became available.

It’s also worth noting that files saved as AACs or WMAs are typically smaller in size than an MP3 saved at the same bitrate — which means you fit more music on your device.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I agree with most of that, but my point is that you wouldn't call your dad stupid for popping in a CD into Windows and burnning it using WMA just because he's not up on the latest formats as an example.

I would argue that Creative should support M4P if it's indeed an open standard. Perhaps they will now that Apple has paid Creative 100 million to keep using their menu system. As part of the agreement, I think Creative is going to have some sort of "Creative Inside" type logo sort of like the Intel Inside sticker you used to see a lot of a few years back.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy