Battlefield 2142??

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Battlefield 2142??

Post by Animalor »

Not sure how legit this is however it looks cool enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-DnK-d_sp0
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I hope that's fake.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Looks good, looks real, (I'm fairly sure it is) - but it's coming out way too early and will probably butcher Battlefield 2 population.

Before the 'coming soon' part at the end, I thought it was nothing more than an official mod or expansion for BF2.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, looks real to me too, but it doesn't look like it's really any kind of improvement to BF2....more of a Mod.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

I remember playing this game when it was called Planetside...
Adelrune Argenti
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funny...but it's more like BF2 meets Starsiege.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

You know, ~100 years from now, I still can't see the Mech being created as piece of military hardware. I wish the whole futuristic combat vision would STOP with the mech crap!!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I've been playing this for the last few days, and I am loving it. There are a few things that I miss from BF2 (more "realistic" maps), but I can understand the reason for things being really different...I mean..it IS 2142!

The unlocks are just one of the many things changed in this one. In BF2, you could unlock new weapons and that was it. In BF2142, you get to unlock item trees. There are only 4 classes when you start, but each class has two trees of item unlocks. New "guns" are at the top of each of the trees. For example, as an Engineer, I started with a basic AV Rocket Launcher. The two trees lead up to either an Anti-Aircraft Missile Launcher, or an Anti-Vehicle cannon. Most of the items you can get in either tree are useful.

I can't remember which was in either tree, but a couple things that I swap in and out often depending on my role are: Motion Mines that detect enemy vehicles and chase them down when in range, a Vehicle Radar type gadget that you can plant on a wall/ground/vehicle which pulses a signal which will show enemy vehicle's within it's range, a Explosive removal device which can "zap" friendly or hostile explosives (this normally works just outside of their range so claymores can be a pita to take out), and a helmet which relays enemy vehicles to the squad's radar. I think that's all of them.

There are also separate trees designated for Player and Squadleader unlocks. These include Frag Grenades and other items up to sentry/recon droids and a squad spawn beacon which you can use if you're the leader of your squad.

One of the cooler things they have done to encourage teamwork within squads is the Field Upgrade system. As you play the game, you get points for repairing/healing/resupplying/etc. If you do these things as well as getting kills within an area around your squad's objective, you earn squad experience. Once you fill the bar, you earn one Field Upgrade. You can go into a screen during the match (just off of the spawn screen) to choose one free upgrade from any tree. You will get that item unlocked for as long as you stay on the server. This is a very good way to test out trees before you actually spend your unlocks on them. The hard part is sometimes finding a squadleader that understands how this feature works. If your squad ends up stuck in an area to fight, throw a squad command out for the squad to concentrate on that area and boost your xp gains!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Another reason to hate EA. Their Battlefield games don't support widescreen resolutions.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

That does suck. They would look nice in widescreen too. What do games end up looking like on that 24" if it's not supported?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:That does suck. They would look nice in widescreen too. What do games end up looking like on that 24" if it's not supported?
It looks stretched and distorted. just about every new game supports widescreen resolutions. EA just blows chunks for so many reasons.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Is there not an option to at least force a better aspect? Even if it means having bars on the sides? That really sucks if there isn't since I was about to pick up a widescreen in the next couple weeks.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Is there not an option to at least force a better aspect? Even if it means having bars on the sides? That really sucks if there isn't since I was about to pick up a widescreen in the next couple weeks.
With the Dell 2405, there are monitor settings which allow you to use 1:1 pixel mapping to force the resolution into the proper aspect ratio so would get the black bars on the sides. You're still wasting perfectly good screen space though. It's not like their games can't do 1920X1200. Some gamers have hacked it so it works.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

It is possible to set it to full screen like in BF2. Do you have any screenshots you could post to show me how much it stretches? I am reading that most of the stretch is with the HUD itself rather than the "picture." This will probably be the deciding point for whether or not I get a widescreen monitor in the next couple days.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fo ... php?t=6240
Its the same proceedure as BF2 (easily guessed as its the exact same game engine). Create a new Shortcut and right click it, click on properties and where it says target add somthing that resemblse the following

"C:\Battlefield 2142 Beta\" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1680 +szy 1050

Its no different than the Battlefield 2 partial solution, i havn't tried any FOV editing as it is more than likely ineffective.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If you "hack" Battlefield to display in a widescreen resolution then there is not distortion of the actual view itself although the HUD as you mentioned may be slightly distorted...the important part is that you can see more of the battlefield instead of a 4:3 images stretched and warped to fit the wider screen.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

How many maps are included with this? None of the reviews I've read have listed a number. Also, the reviews say it's just not worth 50$ because it plays like a player mod.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I think it's worth it personally. I can't remember how many maps there are, and I just shut down the other comp that has it installed. One thing to remember about it is that with the Titan Mode, every map is completely different as well as your tactics on the maps. Oh, and the walkers really aren't as badass as the videos make them seem.

Thanks for the info Winnow. I was assuming that's what you meant by the distortion. Now I just need to decide between a few models.