melee dps

WoW Discussion
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

melee dps

Post by Xzion »

when the expansion comes out im thinking of getting the game to fuck around with one of the new races casually, likely it will be whatever the alliance race is...of course im looking for a good melee dps and was thinking rogue for a while, yet i heard they were overplayed and estemated, so i was looking for some imput on the damage and effectiveness of a pure DPS build warrior, opposed to a pure dps rogue
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Sinzar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Sinzar »

PvE or PvP?

On PvE raids, a rogue wins hands down. To compete with a rogue in DPS, a warrior has to go all out DPS gear. The catch is, their AC/Sta is typically lower in DPS gear to the point they can not effectively tank raid bosses. Warriors also have no way to remove agro, so once your DPS hits a certain point, you agro and die. Even in situations where agro is not an issue, the rogue beats the warrior assuming same status of equipment.

In PvP, a Warrior can be more lethal then a rogue. In PvP a warrior with healing support can do some insane damage, as well as survive the counter attacks. Enrage and Mortal Strike is a fairly sick combo. Rogues are still great damage in PvP, but a rogue is many times more fragile in PvP and you will find yourself dead pretty often unless you have some serious healer support.

So I guess a big concern is, do you want to be stronger in PvE raiding, or PvP battlegrounds. It is true, rogues are a dime a dozen, but on my server at least, so are warriors. Just remember, whichever you choose, they are heavily equipment dependant. You won't see the true DPS potential until you start on the epic gear ^_^
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Roll a feral druid and be a warrior and a rogue.
Sinzar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Sinzar »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Roll a feral druid and be a warrior and a rogue.
In PvE yes, but feral spec in PvP is pretty bad!
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

A pve warrior can easily carry two sets of armor. So tanking isnt an issue. They can also do mean amounts of dps in damage gear. A warrior can beat a rogue in damage, although its not very often.

For pvp, 31/20 + epic weapon + support = merchant of death
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

Uh, feral druids in pvp are bad ass dude.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Janx wrote:Uh, feral druids in pvp are bad ass dude.
I can very confidently assure you that sinzar has a better knowledge of game mechanics then you ever will in your wettest, wildest dreams.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:
I can very confidently assure you that sinzar has a better knowledge of game mechanics then you ever will in your wettest, wildest dreams.
You need an IQ of 70 to understand game mechanics in WoW.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Seriously, does your foot taste like candy or something? You seem to love sticking it in your mouth a lot.

Feral druids are more than acceptable for PVE and PVP on the "fucking around" level. As for what to play with the new alliance race, we don't know what classes are open to it other than the mainstay warrior. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say paladin won't be open to them. Warrior is a lot more versatile in WOW than it was in EQ and yes, you can easily carry around 2 sets of gear, tho once again, for "fucking around" it won't really matter.

For seeing early results, a rogue is your best option if available. If you're willing to work at it a bit more, getting more levels and gear, warrior can be highly satisfying. Either makes a great melee char tho.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Sinzar wrote:The catch is, their AC/Sta is typically lower in DPS gear to the point they can not effectively tank raid bosses.
The secondary tank in my guild is currently 31/20 (MS, obviously) with Ashkandi as his weapon. On a fight where typically one tank is needed, he'll use his dps gear. Should I for some reason die or lose my connection, he typically ends up having secondary aggro and tanks perfectly fine by switching to Thunderfury+Drillborer.

His profile: http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?74887 (His dps gear's in the 4th bag)

My profile: http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?48068

As you can see, our tanking gear is nearly identical and he doesn't change his gear all that much to switch into "DPS mode". When he's doing dps, he will almost always be on par with our best rogues, if not sometimes ahead of them. Perhaps they all just suck, but all of but one or two of our rogues have a Perdition's Blade or Chromatically Tempered Sword (or both) and 6-8 Bloodfang.
Sinzar wrote:Warriors also have no way to remove agro, so once your DPS hits a certain point, you agro and die. Even in situations where agro is not an issue, the rogue beats the warrior assuming same status of equipment.
Barring fights where the encounter has some sort of aggro-reduction ability it can use on the tank (drakes, Broodlord, etc.) I have never lost aggro to him or any other warrior/rogue. And as I stated before, his dps is almost always on par with our rogues.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Dregor Thule wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:
Seriously, does your foot taste like candy or something? You seem to love sticking it in your mouth a lot.

Feral druids are more than acceptable for PVE and PVP on the "fucking around" level. As for what to play with the new alliance race, we don't know what classes are open to it other than the mainstay warrior. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say paladin won't be open to them. Warrior is a lot more versatile in WOW than it was in EQ and yes, you can easily carry around 2 sets of gear, tho once again, for "fucking around" it won't really matter.

For seeing early results, a rogue is your best option if available. If you're willing to work at it a bit more, getting more levels and gear, warrior can be highly satisfying. Either makes a great melee char tho.
Nothing of the sort. But if Sinzar, who has had a handful of max level characters in every game he has played, and has an extensive knowledge of WoW having played what 6 ? characters to 60, and has raided everything you can in the game extensively says something. Im gonna take his word over someone ive never heard of.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

hmmm....interesting, from the look of it it seems hard to compete with a max dps build rogue, so il go with that likely if its available with the new race, if not warrior it will be

by the way, does anyone have a damn clue when this expansion is supposed to come out, or around what time?
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Sinzar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Sinzar »

Err heh, I didn't intend to start a debate about feral druids, there's many of those already! He was asking about a DPS character, which means he has no interest in healing. In PvP, a druid in feral form trying to DPS someone to death is a joke. There's a few dedicated feral druids on my server, and if my group gets attacked by one in Arathi Basin, a typical response after the fight is "lol, XXXX was hitting me during that". I'm simply speaking from experience, a feral druid is about the lowest on my threat list in a BG.

As far as the rogue vs warrior discussion, both are quite an asset. I just feel that, if DPS is your primary focus, you can go further with a rogue then a warrior. I've never been passed by warriors on raids, nor are the other top rogues in my guild. At times, it's close though. Warriors can do great DPS, but from the sound of your question, it sounds like being a secondary tank is not your goal.

For the expansion release date, your guess is as good as mine :)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

A feral druid that only stays feral forms is a bad druid. Don't base all your opinions on feral druids off bad ones.

As for having a lot of level 60 characters, that's hardly a measure of skill, just time.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I can tell one of those characters isn't a feral druid because you wouldn't be saying the things you are because you'd know better.

Sometimes I feel like feral druids are just a well kept secret :) Very few people truely understand what we are capable of and sometimes I'd like it to stay that way.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Also, I think the expansion is coming out this fall?
Toshira
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Toshira »

Dregor Thule wrote:A feral druid that only stays feral forms is a bad druid. Don't base all your opinions on feral druids off bad ones.

As for having a lot of level 60 characters, that's hardly a measure of skill, just time.
I can assure you, Sinzar is quite skilled - at least for a gnome h8er.
There is not enough disk space available to delete this file, please delete some files to free up disk space.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Toshira wrote:
Dregor Thule wrote:A feral druid that only stays feral forms is a bad druid. Don't base all your opinions on feral druids off bad ones.

I can assure you, Sinzar is quite skilled - at least for a gnome h8er.
Haha !

That makes me think about my gnome necro in eq. Every single time I got on he commented on how gay gnomes were !
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

I am always leading in dps (with foh rogs n hunters in raid mind you) and never get aggro using rank 14 weapons. I guarantee you the warriors getting aggro all the time are being tards and spamming HS. Another thing is if you are a warrior and plan on leading the raid in dps, you have to accept that if you dont want aggro, you have to let some rage decay, unless your guild is ok with you ping ponging aggro that is. I use my rage, I just dont spend it like its burning a hole in my pocket. Every now and then I will get aggro for maybe a second or two when spamming executes (on non bosses of course, boss aggro not good) when the mob is almost dead, but other than that aggro isnt even an issue when leading in dps for me. Meanwhile the hunters not even in the top 10 in raid dps, are constantly ping ponging mobs and they even have a way to reduce hate unlike me. I still cant figure that one out.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Dregor Thule wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

Nothing of the sort. But if Sinzar, who has had a handful of max level characters in every game he has played, and has an extensive knowledge of WoW having played what 6 ? characters to 60, and has raided everything you can in the game extensively says something. Im gonna take his word over someone ive never heard of.
You've never heard of Janx?
hahahaha

You're a fucking moron, go spit on some people and defend yourself.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

Krimson Klaw wrote:I am always leading in dps (with foh rogs n hunters in raid mind you) and never get aggro using rank 14 weapons. I guarantee you the warriors getting aggro all the time are being tards and spamming HS. Another thing is if you are a warrior and plan on leading the raid in dps, you have to accept that if you dont want aggro, you have to let some rage decay, unless your guild is ok with you ping ponging aggro that is. I use my rage, I just dont spend it like its burning a hole in my pocket. Every now and then I will get aggro for maybe a second or two when spamming executes (on non bosses of course, boss aggro not good) when the mob is almost dead, but other than that aggro isnt even an issue when leading in dps for me. Meanwhile the hunters not even in the top 10 in raid dps, are constantly ping ponging mobs and they even have a way to reduce hate unlike me. I still cant figure that one out.
Maybe on your mage or if me and Murr are afk 75 percent of the raid :p
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Dunno if you are afk or not, thats not my problem though.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

in mc we probably are, you can't really measure it in bwl at all because we don't do shit after vael hardly (fuck traps) until chromaggus and no one comes near us on chrom/nef except sean and axz. i dunno about aq since i disabled meters :(
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

You may be right, but I didnt claim to be top dps on all individual encounters in the instance, just overall when the raid is done. If it makes you feel better, then sure, you out dps me on chromag and Nef.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

bwl doesn't count omg your insulting my epeen :<
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

It's easy to do when you are suffering from shrinkage.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

better watch out i got the low down on you from your boy and i'm not afraid to use blackmail!

:D
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

To get me to stop posting about warrior dps on a message board? Ok I now consider the topic off limits since it offends you so much.
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

its a joke fella :(