Wonder how ID supporters deal with poor design...

What do you think about the world?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The basic tenets of Christianity are wonderful, but "the Church" has twisted it into something Jesus would protest against.
Is that a fact?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

If I say He told me Himself, does that make me as authoratative as the Bible, or just another whackjob?
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

On a fantastic side note, I met the Dalai Lama today, which was fucking amazing.

It was inspiring to hear his attitude towards modern day thinking, whereby the innerself, the spiritual self becomes lost in stupid, and emotive ways of thinking, which makes it much much harder to even contemplate basic reality.

I think a lot of people forget that simple truth.
Mplor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mplor »

Nick wrote:It was inspiring to hear his attitude towards modern day thinking, whereby the innerself, the spiritual self becomes lost in stupid, and emotive ways of thinking, which makes it much much harder to even contemplate basic reality.

I think a lot of people forget that simple truth.
Uh, it may be "simple" but would you mind elaborating on this truth? Not sure what to make of "stupid and emotive ways of thinking"...
The Boney King of Nowhere.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I'll give you the example he gave us.

Two Northern irish sides bickering over religion, even though they both follow the teachings of jesus christ.

Both sides thinking, through years of blind hatred and consequences of various events, that the other side is animal like, stupid, evil, whatever, all the while forgetting their fundamental similarities.

Which are being human, not knowing everything, questing to enrich their lives etc.

Those similarities being dismissed in favour of popular rhetoric that demeans the other side, whether there is any truth in them or not.

In this forum for example you can see that in the whole "AMERICA IS GOD, versus NO THEY AREN'T" debate that constantly goes on.

In this case, "OMG SCIENCE IS BULLSHIT vesus YOU'RE FORGETTING INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS JUST A MAN MADE FICTION WITH NO BASIS FOR TRUTH".

People refuse to sit down and look at the basic facts, in favour of resorting to their usual misplaced beliefs, memories or assumptions.

A point brought up by Voronwe also.

A reasonable conversation is impossible here most of the time due to the ridiculous seething retarded hatred spouted on both sides.
VV used to be about intelligent seething hatred.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

ah the good ole days when our seething hatred was intelligent :p
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Zaelath wrote:
Cartalas wrote:The Bible was written by men, but inspired by god.
That's hardly the Christian dogma I was brought up with; every reading was finished "This is the word of the lord" and the congregation would reply "Amen".

In fact, it was these cultish aspects of the church that led me away from it. The basic tenets of Christianity are wonderful, but "the Church" has twisted it into something Jesus would protest against.
Just because it was written by man does not mean its not the word of god.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Cart, the point of my post was not to debate the veracity of the statement that "the Bible is the Word of God". and you are correct to suggest that there are other logical possibilities than the two that I outlined. however, i was merely using that as an example to illustrate my point that i thought all people could relate to.

In fact i considered going back and editing the post such that it was of a fictional religion with a fictional holy book.
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

Zaelath wrote:
Rekaar. wrote:Like always, when you can't defend yourself with logic of substance you resort to name calling. Just shows your true colors, and your fundamental contempt for those with a different perspective. Typical hypocrisy. Quit trying to force your opinions on everyone else, why can't we just get along? You have nothing but theories and neither do I...you can't prove me wrong and I can't prove you right. Yet you feel perfectly justified calling me stupid.

Careful, your character is slipping.

Is it scientific to rule out and disdain alternatives you can neither prove nor disprove?
http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html
Though the principle may seem rather trivial, it is essential for model building because of what is known as the "underdetermination of theories by data". For a given set of observations or data, there is always an infinite number of possible models explaining those same data. This is because a model normally represents an infinite number of possible cases, of which the observed cases are only a finite subset. The non-observed cases are inferred by postulating general rules covering both actual and potential observations.
By your evidentiary rule, I assume you also support teaching Flying Spaghetti Monsterism in schools?
Rather than get bogged down in semantics revolving around a theorem that only applies to a segment of the argument...I'd say you can talk about whatever you want in school if it adds value and stimulates discussion. Any good class I ever had was like that. If you can teach me something with your spaghetti monster then by all means, tell me all about it.

Though I didn't post in this thread to debate school curriculum, I posted because some guy decided to label anyone that believes in ID as stupid.
Time makes more converts than reason. - Thomas Paine
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Rekaar. wrote: Rather than get bogged down in semantics revolving around a theorem that only applies to a segment of the argument...I'd say you can talk about whatever you want in school if it adds value and stimulates discussion.
I'd agree if you were talking about University education, grade schools are for teaching kids the basic building blocks to understand and survive in a complex world, ID adds nothing to a childs education and in fact detracts from it.

The only important feature of ID is that it's claimed to be a science such that they can force it into the curriculum, hence that is the whole point of "believing in ID" and that is patently stupid.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Cartalas wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
That's hardly the Christian dogma I was brought up with; every reading was finished "This is the word of the lord" and the congregation would reply "Amen".

In fact, it was these cultish aspects of the church that led me away from it. The basic tenets of Christianity are wonderful, but "the Church" has twisted it into something Jesus would protest against.
Cartalas should be beaten up for being bloody stupid. This is the word of God.

This was written by me, an man, and claim to be the word of God. The onnly difference on this and the bible are how many idiots believe in it.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Hesten wrote:
Cartalas wrote:
Zaelath wrote:

This was written by me, an man, and claim to be the word of God. The onnly difference on this and the bible are how many idiots believe in it.
Curious? What is an man? and onnly? is your n key stuck or is this a new 3rd world country thing?
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

God is a figment of man's imagination.
Man wrote the bible under the guidance of this imagination.
Ergo, the bible is the word of god.
Rekaar.
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Rekaar. »

Zaelath wrote: The only important feature of ID is that it's claimed to be a science such that they can force it into the curriculum, hence that is the whole point of "believing in ID" and that is patently stupid.
Any more broad-stroked brushes in your repertoire? Are you just incapabable of delineating between the issues you jump between? Ironically, some would call that stupid.
Time makes more converts than reason. - Thomas Paine
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Rekaar. wrote:
Zaelath wrote: The only important feature of ID is that it's claimed to be a science such that they can force it into the curriculum, hence that is the whole point of "believing in ID" and that is patently stupid.
Any more broad-stroked brushes in your repertoire? Are you just incapabable of delineating between the issues you jump between? Ironically, some would call that stupid.
I'm sorry sweetheart, but if you want to maintain the fiction that the ID camp aren't really creationists with an agenda, you go right ahead. Ironically, some would call that delusional.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

What really irks me about the whole ID thing is this: is your whole religion so worthless that having its creation myth debunked invalidates the religion in its entirety? Is there nothing of worth between Genesis and Revelations?

I remember back in Sunday school hearing a lot about the neat ideas of this Jesus guy...
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

masteen wrote:What really irks me about the whole ID thing is this: is your whole religion so worthless that having its creation myth debunked invalidates the religion in its entirety? Is there nothing of worth between Genesis and Revelations?

I remember back in Sunday school hearing a lot about the neat ideas of this Jesus guy...
even funnier is that the mainstream Christian denominations with the most members (Catholocism, Episcopalianism, and so forth) do not dispute that evolution is how our species arose.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Cartalas wrote:
Hesten wrote:
Cartalas wrote:
Zaelath wrote:

Curious? What is an man? and onnly? is your n key stuck or is this a new 3rd world country thing?

Cartalas making fun of someone (a non-native english speaker, at that) for their spelling and/or grammar proves to me that there is a god, and he loves irony.

Atheism, I denounce you!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Sylvus wrote:
Cartalas wrote:
Hesten wrote:
Cartalas wrote:
Zaelath wrote:

Cartalas making fun of someone (a non-native english speaker, at that) for their spelling and/or grammar proves to me that there is a god, and he loves irony.

Atheism, I denounce you!
No I just like picking on 3rd world fucks.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Denmarks a third world country????

Retard.

Essentially, what Masteen and Voro said = ftw
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:Cartalas making fun of someone (a non-native english speaker, at that) for their spelling and/or grammar proves to me that there is a god, and he loves irony.
I think that the sticky N key was kind of funny. The response to the sticky N key was not.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Nick wrote:Denmarks a third world country????

Retard.

As well as Ireland, You must spend a lot of time in front of the keyboard @ 2400 Baud.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

A borderline retard who can barely form a coherent thought flaming a non-english person's spelling.

Awesome irony.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Retard.

In Cartalas' mind any country that is not america is a third world country.
He's probably never been outside of Minnesota so he probably has no clue what the rest of the world is like.

Also, he's probably mentally handicapped.
Last edited by miir on November 24, 2005, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

miir wrote:A borderline retard who can barely form a coherent thought flaming a non-english person's spelling.

Awesome irony.
Wow again I manage to get Deputy Dumb ass to look at my post, WOW!!! Ignore button works well Miir.

BTW who is the Big Nosed Skank in your avatar?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Cartalas wrote:
miir wrote:A borderline retard who can barely form a coherent thought flaming a non-english person's spelling.

Awesome irony.
Wow again I manage to get Deputy Dumb ass to look at my post, WOW!!! Ignore button works well Miir.

Way to go...Break the only real 'rule' on VV.

Post a picture of yourself you stupid fuck.
I'm sure we could all have a field day making fun of your fat ass.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

miir wrote:
Cartalas wrote:

Awesome irony.

WOW!! sorry I didnt know that was you and your mother my apologies.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Cartalas wrote:
miir wrote:
Cartalas wrote:

Awesome irony.

WOW!! sorry I didnt know that was you and your mother my apologies.
Put up or shut up.
Fucking loser.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Here's a bunch of pictures of my fiancee and myself.
There's even a few of my mom.

Have fun.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/davejoanna/
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Ouch wedding pictures, I just wanted to scream "DONT DO IT!!!" but as they are pics on the web I thought it might already be too late...
Sick Balls!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Not married yet.

The wedding pics are from friends and family.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

meh...

dont mind me I'm still bitter about my whole wedding/divorce thing.
Sick Balls!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Cartalas wrote:

Retard.

As well as Ireland, You must spend a lot of time in front of the keyboard @ 2400 Baud.
I've traveled fairly extensively and have lived in several countries (a couple of 3rd world ones at that) and Denmark is as far from one as your feeble mind could ever possibly muster. The people I met there are way more educated and enlightened than you could ever even remotely hope to be.

edit:

Miir, your fiance is quite stunning.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Can someone do me a favor....

Make fun of this dum girl for me as well, she's dum.

edit: wow myspace shrunk that picture!~

edit edit: hah found the big one.
Sick Balls!
Sparty
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sparty »

Little Rico fucked that girl in 6th grade.

My name is Sparty
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Cartalas wrote:

Retard.

Can't speak for Ireland of course, but if you judge a 3rd world country by its internet access, you guys are actually WAY behind.

Denmark is at a nice 69.5% of our households with internet access (http://www.clickz.com/stats/sectors/geo ... hp/3561451), and even we are way behind sweden with 73.6 (same link), with the US as low as 55% of your households having internet access (http://www.clickz.com/stats/sectors/geo ... hp/3559991).

These numbers are from a US based study, and the numbers actually seemed low to me, so looked at Danmarks Statistik (Danish Statistics, a company made just for keeping CORRECT statistics about a lot of information in denmark, other companies buy their statistics from them, so were talking VERY reliable stuff here).
There i found some other interesting info. I do NOT have the same info from the US, but youre welcome to supply it to prove my point.

In 2004, Denmark had ADSL available to 96% of the population. Yes, 96% of the country had access to high speed internet.

In september 2004, Denmark had the 3rd highest spread of broadband access (that count both DSL, cable, block connections and so on), with ca 18 connections pr 100 citicens. (only South Korea and Hong Kong were higher, NOT the US, who didnt even show up on the list. Canada had 17.6 hough)

Then i found the 2005 info, which look even better:
In 2005, 74% of all families have internet access at home.
Kids seems to help the need for access, since 93% of couples with kids have internet access from home.
28% of the families with internet access from home, have access to their companys network via the internet.
79% of the population (notice, the 74% earlier were families) have access to the internet from home.
92% of the 16-19 year old have access to the internet from home.
52% of the 60-74 year old have access to the internet from home.

Oh, dont know how much you US guys do this, but our government services are working hard on getting more people to use the internet for all their contact and information.
41% of the people who had contact with the government (goverment used in general here, can be tax, welfare, social security, hospitals, schools, anything the goverment handle) háve used the internet to find information from goverment webpages. 19% of them printed the relevant formulars, 22% filled out formulars from the internet.

Talking security, 93% of the people with internet access use antivirus software. 70% use firewalls. 80% of the asked have updated their programs the last month.
How does your average AOL user compare to that ;)

Cart, guess its now your turn to get info about the US statistics on internet usage. Frankly, i doubt youll get even near the results we do, but hell, i dont mind buying DVDs in 3rd world countries like the US, even though you lack behind on the internet access and speed :)

Personally, i got 2 internet connections, a ADSL with 2.5 Mbit down, and 512 kbit upstream (not sure how well americans are informed on their connection speeds, read lots of places that people seems to be more or less told they get a "fast" line, and the only way then can get info seems to be running speed test themselves, anyone care to enlighten me here, how are the general speed on Ús connections?. Then i got a line from work, a little slower, only 2Mbit down, and 512 up, but only used to work from home and control our network and servers from home, so its more than adequate. I pay 67.65$ a month for my normal connection (no limits of any kind of course, can download all i want, and i got control of my firewall ports and can open/close as i like). The work line are payed from work and dont cost me anything :).

If you look at ouu neighbours in sweden, 8mbit lines seems to be the "average" line speed if you want a fast line today, for a reasonable price. Denmark arent there yet, but working on it :).
Last edited by Hesten on November 26, 2005, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Better edit your post and put the apostrophe in 'cant' before the raging retard criticizes your grammer.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

miir wrote:Better edit your post and put the apostrophe in 'cant' before the raging retard criticizes your grammer.
All done :). Wouldnt want us 3rd world people who old learned 3 languages in school to look stupid ;)
Oh well, he can answer me in danish, that could be fun. Then we would be on even terms.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Hej! Jeg taler ikke Dansk. Cartalas er en klovn. Jeg elsker pebbernødder. Vi ses!
Last edited by laneela on November 26, 2005, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Hesten wrote:
miir wrote:Better edit your post and put the apostrophe in 'cant' before the raging retard criticizes your grammer.
All done :). Wouldnt want us 3rd world people who old learned 3 languages in school to look stupid ;)
Oh well, he can answer me in danish, that could be fun. Then we would be on even terms.
Bork bork bork! Ah crap, that's sweedish.
Wonko Wenusberg
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Wonko Wenusberg »

börk... 2400 baud! Hilarious!
cweeedit cwuunch
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

If there's one thing those freaking Scandinavians have it's bandwidth! Most Amercans are your bandwidth bitches but I'm catching up to you!

I challenge you to a pr0n downloading contest!
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

heh its funny, one of the main reasons im agnostic apposed to atheist or a theist of some sort is that science or logic itself can explain everything or come to explain everything eventually except for one thing it can never explain...that being, why is their existence opposed to non existence

Time ago in philosophy one of the main arguments for the existence of a god was the design theory...an argument was used along the lines of "something as complex as a watch did not exist with out a designer to build it (man)...so who created something as complex as the human eye" much of this is disproved by the theory of evolution as have been the other reasons for the existence of an intelligent designer or a god...but their is one thing that science will never be able to explain, that being "why does existence exist?"

from what i see wouldn’t logic imply that the universe be nothingness? how did existence emerge from nothingness?

either way if their is some sort of...i dont want to say god...but unexplainable possibly supernatural force i dont understand why people are so godamn ignorant to think that in their miniscule grasp of knowledge that they can come to fully understand it
whats even funnier is that they claim to know all of its morals and how they believe this force wants to see nothing more then nudity off the public airwaves and gays banished to eternal damnation for being different...and those that dont abide by its specific objective morals are evil sinners who will also forever be banished to eternal damnation for questioning this force...sounds much like some asshole dictator eh?
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

laneela wrote:
Cartalas wrote:

Retard.

I've traveled fairly extensively and have lived in several countries (a couple of 3rd world ones at that) and Denmark is as far from one as your feeble mind could ever possibly muster. The people I met there are way more educated and enlightened than you could ever even remotely hope to be.

edit:

Miir, your fiance is quite stunning.
heh, denmark is the cleanest place on earth...its fucking scary to be honest with you
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Sorry was that an attempt to mock the internet connections in Ireland?

Haha, are you serious?

I would ask you to go do some research to alter the perception in that horrifically distorted little mind but you will probably be stuck until the middle of next week just getting through this post.
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Name the download for the pr0n winnow! My 10 mbit connection is jacked up and good to go. I will download that pr0n so fast it will make your head spin!
Fortune favors the brave!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:If there's one thing those freaking Scandinavians have it's bandwidth! Most Amercans are your bandwidth bitches but I'm catching up to you!

I challenge you to a pr0n downloading contest!
Pfffth, its not a challenge to download porn.
The challenge is to sort it afterwards, delete the duplicates, remove the ugly women and so on :)
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

Hesten wrote: Pfffth, its not a challenge to download porn.
The challenge is to sort it afterwards, delete the duplicates, remove the ugly women and so on :)
Sayeth that man with the weak internet connection!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Tegellan wrote:
Hesten wrote: Pfffth, its not a challenge to download porn.
Sayeth that man with the weak internet connection!
Pffth, you can get plenty of port on a 2.5 mbit line, when its running 24/7 :)

One of my friends only downloaded porn from a 56K modem before, and i set him up with a newsgroup downloader and helped him configure it, when he got his 2 mbit line :). The guy calle dthe next day and complained about something about a full hard drive :)
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tegellan »

I have 10 mbit up and down sir, no download limit. I have had to start burning things on dvds, otherwise i simply cannot keep up.