NFL week 2

What do you think about the sports world?
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

NFL week 2

Post by Kelshara »

Some good games and some surprises. Vikings are stinking it up bigtime! Holy cow! Was also good to see the Colts winning a grind-it-out kind of game, they showed a lot of heart and I am starting to think it might be their year for sure. New England lost as well which is excellent :)

Btw did y'all see Byron Leftwich? That kid is insane! His efforts yesterday gave me flashbacks to the Marshall game when he had to be carried up to the line and basically played on one leg. He is tough as nails! That one hit he took after his leg was hurt where he stood in the pocket, knew the hard hit was coming yet nailed the pass.. that was painful just to watch!

Am surprised and impressed with the Bucs and the Bengals. Palmer is looking very good, as is Roethlisberger. Kansas and Raiders still confuse me though and I think they both can still tip either way.

Oh and the entire Cleveland celebrated last night except for me. I am a Packers fan :(
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

The Packers are fucking terrible this year. One of the worst 5-10 teams in the NFL. You're in for a long year.

I think the Raiders would make the playoffs in the NFC.

And let's not forget the absolute stomping that the Eagles applied to the poor 49ers!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Packers lost at home to the Browns. The Packers may be the worst team in the NFL this year and that's including the Cardinals.

Favre, instead of playing the high and mighty veteran QB who's responsibility it isn't to help a new QB along (you'd understand if you saw the interview before the season), should spend this year teaching Aaron Rodgers all that he can about the game. That won't happen though.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

The winner from the NFC north might have a losing record.
Homercles
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Homercles »

I know which interview your speaking of Winnow. That interview...Favres attitude towards Rogers is disgusting. It altered my view of Favre drastically. He was so selfish during that interview. He should be teaching. Instead hes letting the kid fend for himself. Way to help the team there Bret. As a result, Rogers will be completely unprepared to take over from Bret midway through this season as the Packers role off a 1-7 record.

And how important was Moss to the Vikings? Caulpepper has been pure garbage the first 2 weeks. 8 Ints. 0 TDs. The Bengals made him look like Akili Smith. Dante is so lost without Moss its almost comical. He sits in the pocker for an eternity, just praying that Randy can get open. Unfortunately Randys not on the team and Dante takes the sack or throws a pick or fumbles the ball. GO CAULPEPPER!

As for my Bengals, their first two opponents have proven to be quite weak. The defenses were seives to Palmer. Next week they go against a real defense. Chicago. And Chicago wont be in a rush to get away from their running game. That could spell problems for the bengals.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Cincinnati has 5 tough games on their schedule in my eyes...and some aren't even that tough. 2 games against Baltimore, 2 games against the Steelers, and season finale against KC.

Other than that, Cinci is fine, and should make the playoffs. Being a Steelers fan, I of course am going with Cinci's berth as a wild card.

Conversely, the Steelers difficult games are the Pats this weekend, 2 games against Cinci, 2 games agains Baltimore, and a game AT Indi.

So, I'm gonna say that Cinci and Pitt's schedules are more equal than normal this year...and the regular season record will be a good measurement of Cinci's growth.

And to those that are going to say Baltimore is not a "tough" game anymore...well...their defense is still friggen' ridiculous, and can ruin your day any given sunday.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I watch every game each week. NFL Sunday Ticket has this great new "Short Cuts" feature that allows you to watch an entire game in less than 30 minutes.

I record all the games in this 30 minute (usually about 24 minutes) format. It's a great way to watch games if you can't catch them live.

Carson Palmer has been impressive. He overthrew Chad Johnson twice in the endzone or he would have had 5 TDs yesterday. He's been moving the ball down the field with ease. They have a solid team. I'll be pulling for them.
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

And Marty Ball is alive and well in San Diego. Way to go, numbnuts!!
Adelrune Argenti
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

NFL Coaches:

Top Notch:

Bill Belichick
Andy Reid
John Fox
Bill Cowher
Jon Gruden
Tony Dungy

Good Young Coaches:

Marvin Lewis
Lovie Smith
Mike Mularkey
Jack Del Rio
Jim Mora, Jr

Solid NFL Coaches:

Jeff Fisher
Dick Vermeil
Mike Shanahan
Herm Edwards
Tom Coughlin
Steve Mariucci
Brian Billick
Jim Haslett

You're too old, let go:

Mike Holmgren
Joe Gibbs
Dennis Green
Marty Schottenheimer
Bill Parcells

Perhaps this isn't the right line of work for you:

Mike Sherman
Mike Martz
Mike Tice
Norv Turner
Dom Capers

Rookies:

Nick Saban
Mike Nolan
Romeo Crennel

Coaches Facing Big Seasons:

Bill Cowher: Seems to be able to craft a really good football team every five years or so. If the Steelers can have another monster year, will cement his status as an elite coach.

Jon Gruden: Has been successful both as an offensive coordinator and as a head coach with the Raiders and Bucs. Will prove coaching acumen with a surprise playoff season this year.

Tony Dungy: If his new-look Colts stay strong, then must be considered elite. If they fold again, he gets downgraded to tier 2.

Dick Vermeil: The Chiefs need to have a good season to keep their coach out of the "you're too old, let go" dustbin.

Mike Shanahan: Hasn't been a mastermind in a long time. Perhaps his team should consider being a real contender one of these years.

Jim Haslett: Can vault himself into the category of 'elite' if the Saints play well, mostly because everyone is overvaluing their games right now. A bad season would probably be excusable, but would knock him back down to the shaky category, where he's resided for a few years now.

Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs: If their teams contend, they're back in the elite and their legend swells. If their teams suck, it may be time to shuffle on back to the nursing home.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I was at the Browns game. Did you see me? I waved. What bothered me most about the game was the lack of urgency around the 6 minute mark. They should have done a bit more to hurry up to the line and get the plays off faster. Then our defense gave up stupid crap to the TE not once but twice. Most disappointing. We had great seats though.

GO BENGALS!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Carson Palmer has been a stud for my other fantasy team in the first two weeks.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Sueven wrote: Bill Cowher: Seems to be able to craft a really good football team every five years or so. If the Steelers can have another monster year, will cement his status as an elite coach.
The hell? Every 5 years?

15-1
6-10
10-5-1
13-3
9-7
6-10
7-9
11-5
10-6
11-5
12-4
9-7
11-5

The guy's teams have had a losing record 3 times in 13 years and he has rung up 8 seasons with 10 or more wins. 10 winning sesaon in 13 years? There are teams that would KILL to see that kind of consistancy. Lets not forget that the QB's that led those teams were Neil (and pray) O'Donnel, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and a rookie. To have that kind of record and lose as many people to free agency as the Steelers have over the last 13 years is nothing short of incredible. Now give me a Super Bowl title and he is Hall of Fame material.
StupidMcDupid
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by StupidMcDupid »

Monday Night Prediction: Cowboys-28 Redskins-7

Parcells will have a good season this year.I believe this year we can contend with the soap opera in Phily, if we can stay healthy.
I didnt have no dates at homecoming,thats cause i had your girl naked in my home cumming.

She was looking at it like, "that isn''t gonna fit", u want a smaller size go and rent a plastic dick.
XunilTlatoani
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by XunilTlatoani »

Today is a good day to be a Bears fan. On top of the division, defense has kept opponents to 15 total points in the first two games, offense has actually looked halfway decent at times (even in the Washington loss), plus Minnesota and Green Bay are a combined 0-4! These next two games against Cincinatti and Cleveland are going to be keys. If the Bears take both and go 3-1, then their next three games are against Minnesota, Baltimore and Detroit. It's important for them to get off to a hot start, not only to gain momentum and confidence, but also because their schedule gets tougher in the second half with games against N.O., Carolina, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Atlanta.
Xunil Tlatoani - Gnome Arch Lich (Retired)
Keepers of the Elements

Tlatoani - Gnome Warlock
Light of Dawn (Lightbringer Server)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

While I can appreciate your enthusiasm about the Bears win yesterday you have to remember that it was against Detroit. Granted my Packers lost to Detroit as well but you can't judge the season by a win or a loss just yet. (at least that is what I keep telling myself) So it might be too early to predict playoffs though in our division the winner will most likely be 8-8.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

If Donovan and TO keep on lovin each other, there ain't no stoppin them. Just like Ika and Tina, together forev... oh wait...
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Woot!

Thank you Santana Moss!!!

2-0 Redskins!
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Woot!

2-0 Redskins!

Dont forget to thank the Refs too!!!

2 Mythical holding calls on Fozzel Adams negated first downs both in Washington territory and ended up in punts.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Woot!

2-0 Redskins!
Don't forget your real star: Nick Novak!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Sueven wrote:NFL Coaches:

Top Notch:

Bill Belichick
Andy Reid
John Fox
Bill Cowher
Jon Gruden
Tony Dungy

Good Young Coaches:

Marvin Lewis
Lovie Smith
Mike Mularkey
Jack Del Rio
Jim Mora, Jr

Solid NFL Coaches:

Jeff Fisher
Dick Vermeil
Mike Shanahan
Herm Edwards
Tom Coughlin
Steve Mariucci
Brian Billick
Jim Haslett

You're too old, let go:

Mike Holmgren
Joe Gibbs
Dennis Green
Marty Schottenheimer
Bill Parcells

Perhaps this isn't the right line of work for you:

Mike Sherman
Mike Martz
Mike Tice
Norv Turner
Dom Capers

Rookies:

Nick Saban
Mike Nolan
Romeo Crennel

Coaches Facing Big Seasons:

Bill Cowher: Seems to be able to craft a really good football team every five years or so. If the Steelers can have another monster year, will cement his status as an elite coach.

Jon Gruden: Has been successful both as an offensive coordinator and as a head coach with the Raiders and Bucs. Will prove coaching acumen with a surprise playoff season this year.

Tony Dungy: If his new-look Colts stay strong, then must be considered elite. If they fold again, he gets downgraded to tier 2.

Dick Vermeil: The Chiefs need to have a good season to keep their coach out of the "you're too old, let go" dustbin.

Mike Shanahan: Hasn't been a mastermind in a long time. Perhaps his team should consider being a real contender one of these years.

Jim Haslett: Can vault himself into the category of 'elite' if the Saints play well, mostly because everyone is overvaluing their games right now. A bad season would probably be excusable, but would knock him back down to the shaky category, where he's resided for a few years now.

Bill Parcells and Joe Gibbs: If their teams contend, they're back in the elite and their legend swells. If their teams suck, it may be time to shuffle on back to the nursing home.
LMFAO.

This is quite possibly the worst critique of NFL coaches I have ever read in my life. You have multiple superbowl winners towards the bottom and consistent losing coaches towards the top. Let me help you out:

(last number is their playoff record)

***Bill Belichick -- 89-71 (.556) 10-1
+Andy Reid -- 64-32 (.666) 7-5
+John Fox -- 25-23 (.520) 3-1
+Bill Cowher -- 130-77 (.628) 8-9
*Jon Gruden -- 62-50 (.553) 5-2
Tony Dungy -- 88-56 (.611) 5-7

Marvin Lewis -- 16-16 (.500) NA
Lovie Smith -- 5-11 (.313) NA
Mike Mularkey -- 9-7 (.562) NA
Jack Del Rio -- 14-18 (.438) NA
Jim Mora, Jr -- 11-5 (.688) 1-1

+Jeff Fisher -- 93-73 (.560) 5-4
*+Dick Vermeil -- 110-103 (.516) 6-5
**Mike Shanahan -- 109-71 (.606) 7-4
Herm Edwards -- 35-29 (.547) 2-3
Tom Coughlin -- 74-70 (.514) 4-4
Steve Mariucci -- 68-60 (.531) 3-4
*Brian Billick -- 56-40 (.583) 5-2
Jim Haslett -- 42-38 (.525) 1-1

*+Mike Holmgren -- 125-83 (.601) 9-8
***+Joe Gibbs -- 130-70 (.650) 16-5
Dennis Green -- 103-72 (.589) 4-8
Marty Schottenheimer -- 177-117 (.602) 5-12
**+Bill Parcells -- 154-116 (.570) 11-7

Mike Sherman -- 53-27 (.663) 2-4
*Mike Martz -- 51-29 (.638) 3-4
Mike Tice -- 23-26 (.469) 1-1
Norv Turner -- 54-70 (.435) 1-1
Dom Capers -- 46-66 (.411) 1-1

+ lost a superbowl for each +
* won a superbowl for each *

your "tier 1" is decent, but your tier 2 is the worst combination of coaches in the NFL today. LOL. then, to top it off, 3 coaches in your 5th tier have a combined Superbowl record of 6-3. pathetic. but i guess winning superbowls is somehow irrelevant in your ranking system. gratz.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, and when was the last time those coaches sniffed a Superbowl? I mean you could bring back Landry, Noll, and Shula and they may not be worth a fuck in today's NFL, but their Superbowl record would be astronomical.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

yeah whatever...

Mike Mularkey > Joe Gibbs

you win.

cya.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

At the moment? Maybe. It would be pretty close between them for last year and this year. Mularkey actually managed to go 9-7 in a tough division. Gibbs laid an egg in a week division in the weakest conference in the past 25 years.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

no need to argue. I've already conceded to your argument that a coach's record and history really doesn't represent their proficiency at their job, the true determining factor is if they won their most recent game, which of course still means

Mularkey > Gibbs.

:lol:
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

NFL is all about "What have you done for me lately". "What have you done for me in the last 20 years" counts for nada.
Sumdaor
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: hatchie

Post by Sumdaor »

It is true about "what have you done for me lately" is the mentality in the nfl. Do you consider George Seifert > Bill Walsh, or Barry Switzer > Jimmy Johnson because they won championships after them with the same franchise?

No, there is something to be said for inventing a type of play, and winning championships with it. Thats what Joe Gibbs did and thats why he is better then some unproven Bill Cowher nutsacker hanger-on that managed to not have a losing record.

P.S. That list is moronic.
Sumdaor-Level 60 Warrior-retired
Twinkletoez-Level 68 Bard-Retired
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

your "tier 1" is decent, but your tier 2 is the worst combination of coaches in the NFL today. LOL. then, to top it off, 3 coaches in your 5th tier have a combined Superbowl record of 6-3.
If you will kindly notice, it should be evident that the groups are not titled 'tier 1,' 'tier 2,' and so on.

For instance, what you refer to as 'tier 2' is not intended to represent 'the second best group of coaches in the nfl,' it is intended to represent 'good young coaches,' as in 'coaches who are too young to make a full judgment on, but appear to have potential.' It seems perfectly reasonable under that criteria, but you're free to disagree.

The group that you refer to as 'tier 5' is actually titled 'you're too old, let go.' This title implies that while the coaches were good at one time, that is no longer the case. Obviously, having been good at one time is a prerequisite for being on this list, and with that in mind, it would be a pretty fucking stupid list if the coaches on it hadn't had some success at some point in their career.

You are aware that the most recent Super Bowl victory by a coach on that list is 1996, right?

If past success is the only valid indicator of current ability, why isn't every team in the NFL lusting after John Madden?

Why would a team hire a coach with a relatively light resume like Andy Reid, who was an unheralded tight ends coach for Green Bay before picking up the head job in Philadelphia, when there are coaches with proven records of NFL success available almost every single offseason?
Sumdaor
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: hatchie

Post by Sumdaor »

If past success is the only valid indicator of current ability, why isn't every team in the NFL lusting after John Madden?
Because he has proven himself to be a complete idiot on national tv.

You have glaring problems with that list. Gruden and Fox for example..."solid coaches" sure but not in the "top notch". Lovie Smith has already been pointed out, and Mike Mularkey. As far as Holgren, he had a failed experiment as the GM and head coach. What he does over the next few years I think will tell us what kind of coach he is, but I wouldn't label him as over the hill.

I don't know if you just worded that list in a bad way, but it doesn't have any rationale behind some of the choices.
Sumdaor-Level 60 Warrior-retired
Twinkletoez-Level 68 Bard-Retired
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Of course most people are not going to agree exactly with my organization of that list. The point of such a list is to generate disagreement. It is much more interesting to say "this coach?!? he doesn't belong there! i protest!" than it is to say "your list sucks, man."

As for the ones you mentioned:

Gruden: recent Super Bowl Champion, team overachieved last year and is playing great this year, good work with the Raiders as HC and Eagles as OC.
Fox: Carolina franchise vastly improved under him. Great year two years ago. His teams seem to play professionaly and with motivation every game.
Smith and Mularkey: Both are coaches in their second year and both have teams that have noticeably improved since they came onboard.
Holmgren: Yep, he could improve, but he hasn't accomplished a thing since he came to Seattle. Would you hire him to coach your team?