Atlanta

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Atlanta

Post by valryte »

Recently my wife and I have started to think about moving out of Miami and heading up to Atlanta. Work wise, I'm a programmer so it's a no brainer really. A close friend of mine just finished moving there and sent me pictures of his house. I have to say, my fucking jaw dropped. What he got for 300K there would cost me 900K+. Everything I'm seeing says to do it. 4 distinct seasons, spring and fall being the longest. Only snows a couple times a year. I love to VISIT snow, but not live in it. Many other states I can drive to easily and do different things. Takes 9 hours just to get out of Florida. Love the fact that skiing in the winter is very easy. Drive a couple hours to Tennessee. Not the best, but fuck it, it's an option.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know of any reason NOT to move up there? I've spent 30 years in Miami, been itching to move somewhere new for the past 8 years...I think it's time.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Voronwe would be the guy to talk to, but my parents lived in Marietta for a bit and mentioned that there was a lot of subtle racism (in both directions) that went on that they didn't like and weren't comfortable with at all.

They're back in CA now, and living here, it's just not something you have to deal with 99.999999999% of the time.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

georgia is nice. your kids won't have to learn any of that boring evolution crap either.
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

kyoukan wrote:georgia is nice. your kids won't have to learn any of that boring evolution crap either.
im agreeing iwth kyou ... georga has most of the backwater cases ....that sometimes actually win ...
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Pilsburry lived in Atlanta for many years
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

fyi, valryte is a retired Colombian drug lord
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Well, the south is the south...hell, there are backwater rednecks all around the country (about 3/4 of Ore, for instance...). Atlanta will be a bit less on the hillbilly side, but there will be racism-a-plenty. Like anywhere else, if the job market is tits, then I say go for it. :)
en kærlighed småkager
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Hush Winnow....I was in um... the import/export business....
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Racism how? I know Atlanta is predominately black, but to what extent? Atlanta covers a lot of ground. Even though I live in Florida, Miami is obviously an exception to "The South".

Hey Kylere, tell Pils to contact me at psypher69@gmail.com
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

Have any of you ever BEEN to Atlanta?

Damn liberals.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

No I haven't I'm just currently researching places to move. The others I know (like Orlando) because I've been there a lot. Otherwise, I wouldn't have to ask so many questions hehe. I have a friend who just moved there and his cousin has been there for several years as well. I want to get as many people's opinions as I can. We are planning on going up there in a couple weeks when my friend gets his house all setup.
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Lived in Atlanta for 20+ years. Traffic blows (if you're ever curious, visit http://www.georgia-navigator.com/ and view real-time data and cameras during rush hour) but that's really the only negative I can speak of. If you've got kids, make sure you take a close look at the school system. Unless you get really lucky, expect to have a pain in the ass commute to and from work. Public transportation is reliable but you have to live ON the lines.

Atlanta has a wide mix of ethnic backgrounds, it just really depends on the area that you're looking at in particular. South Atlanta and the area around the Airport tends to be poorer and higher on crime.

Cobb, Cherokee, Fulton (north Fulton, not the city part), Gwinett counties are growing rapidly. Look up I-75, I-575, I-85, GA 400 if you're looking for a home at a decent price. If you like city life, look in midtown. There are a lot of new developments there with the addition of the 16th (or 17th, I forget) street bridge.

July, August, and September tend to be the hottest times of the year although right now, September is unseasonably cool. Humidity is high during the summer.

If you want to look at some homes, take a look at http://www.prudentialgeorgia.com/prudential_ga/.

I beg to differ with Canelek on the racism issue. Yeah, there are rednecks in Georgia. But there's plenty in South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee too. Not all rednecks are racists just like not all racists are redneck.

And to Shanter's comment...Georgia's a pretty damn conservative state. Sometimes a little too conservative, but hey, that's politics.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
icknay
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by icknay »

I live in Orlando and visit phatlanta once or twice per year on business. It's a nice town overall, with a huge population and many people of all colors, though I think it's predominantly black in many areas.
The only bad thing is traffic. It sucks. It sucks all day. I've seen mystery traffic jams at 11am and 2pm and 3am...times when you'd expect the 12 lane interstates to be clear yet they're jammed tight.
I have always assumed there's easier local roads to get across town but never having lived there I can't say for sure.
It does get cold there. And yes there are some hills that you'll have to drive on when they're iced...being a Floridian I have no idea how to do that but I'd sure like to have fun trying one day :razz:
Good luck man I hope things work out well for you. Hotlanta is a jumping, partying place, if you're into that...and a true southern city steeped in history and culture, if you're into that. Home of Coca Cola and Delta airlines. Hartsfield airport is a major hub and you can catch flights out of there to many places around the globe without making connections anywhere else...very important to us travelers.
Best,
Nick
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

they have a lot of waffle houses there. its pure heaven.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Atlanta

Post by Chidoro »

valryte wrote: So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know of any reason NOT to move up there? I've spent 30 years in Miami, been itching to move somewhere new for the past 8 years...I think it's time.
A guess the only reasons I can think of are that you won't get that cuban breakfast that will take you from asleep to HOLYCRAPLET'SSTARTWORKING and all of the hottie chaquitas to look at.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I like peaches.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Dexail
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Dexail »

Vaemas summed it up pretty well.
Dex
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I've spent a couple of weeks in Atlanta recently, Marietta actually, and didn't think it was too bad. Traffic sucked and the humidity is even worse than Arkansas but if the deal I was working on had fallen through I was actually considering moving and going to work for the company I was doing the deal with. Luckily we won the deal (10M over 5 years, not great but not too bad) so I don't have to worry about that. However if things went titsup here I might consider it... however I think they are even more conservative on the ignorance scale than Arkansas in regards to the religious right... take that for what you will.

Cheers!
Marb
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

i had this disgruntal black woman waitress at a nice hotel when i stayed in atlanta one night ...
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

My comment was more toward the people dissing Atlanta without living here.

If looking to live near Atlanta I would recommend north off of I-400 which has some beautiful land and communities. South off I-85 is becoming more developed as well.

There is always something to do in Atlanta, which I find extremely nice as I get bored doing the same things over and over again. There are good sport teams here (Falcons, Braves, Thrashers,.......hawks), tons of different restaurants, concerts, theatre productions, really anything is within a 30 minute drive.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i think racism is more of an issue with people of our parents' generation (ie the experience of Noel's parents), than our generation. I would argue that statement is true across the country, not just the south.

Atlanta is a very diverse city, with probably more affluent African-Americans than any other city. That's not to say that its all hugs-and-kisses, but no major city is devoid of issues like that.

As for the evolution thing...yeah...Georgia ranks 50th in SAT scores. So the cost of living is only 4% above the national average, which is decent for a major city. Add in the cost of private school for your kids ($7-10K per year, per kid through elementary, and as much as $15K for high school) and the dollars start getting eaten up.

I love Atlanta, and if i live here the rest of my life, that's fine with me.
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

If you think racism is Your Dad's generations problem, try and walk through a black neighborhood in the evening wearing your best Golf Outfit....

Hell if you can afford it move to southern California. screw that horrible humidity crap. its like paradise here.
Sick Balls!
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Noysyrump wrote:If you think racism is Your Dad's generations problem, try and walk through a black neighborhood in the evening wearing your best Golf Outfit....
You're overgeneralizing and you're stereotyping. I can say the same thing about certain non-black neighborhoods in many other cities. Every city has its nasty side and Atlanta's no different. Voro was making a point that the younger generation tends to be less inclined to racial divide than his parent's generation and I have to agree with him.

It's apples to oranges.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

Noysyrump wrote:Hell if you can afford it move to southern California. screw that horrible humidity crap. its like paradise here.
Coming from a Miami native who moved to socal (Huntington Beach to be exact) for 3 years: Don't do it. The weather is gorgeous but that's about all socal has going for it. It's expensive as hell, traffic is the most horrendous thing I have ever witnessed (it would take me 50 minutes to get home from work which was 12 miles away) and most of the cities in socal are void of any kind of personality with tract housing and shopping centers cluttering up 70% of the area. Don't get me wrong, some of the more rural areas are absolutely gorgeous and it's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't recommend living there to anyone who's used to living in a place like Miami.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Atlanta is the armpit of the South.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Val you should consider Central Arkansas, we have TONS of stuff to do, great lakes and camping, fishing, good schools in most places and the cost of living is really cheap. You can but don't have to send your kids to public schools and crime is almost nill.

While we still have our freaks most of Central Arkansas is pretty liberal as well plus you are living in the very middle of the Country... it's about the same distance wherever you go. The Company Seebs and I work for is always looking for programmers. If you want some information shoot me a PM and I'll send ya some.

I've thought about moving many times, and as I said, Atlanta wouldn't be too bad but I do love it here...

Marb
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Hell if you can afford it move to southern California. screw that horrible humidity crap. its like paradise here
Coming from a Miami native who moved to socal (Huntington Beach to be exact) for 3 years: Don't do it.
I don't want anything to do with Cali...been there enough times...I only go there to visit/work..and when I'm done with work I just head out to Vegas.
Val you should consider Central Arkansas
Let me check the map and see where the hell that is :) JK, well you are close to Tennessee. Do you even have a latino population? Some how I seriously doubt it hehe. Just tell me you don't work for Walmart. Yes I actually know that Walmart is in Bentonville, AR.

Anyways, I got a good 6 months before I decide. Hell, things might turn around and I might stay in Miami.