Paladins

WoW Discussion
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Paladins

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Anyone here play a Paladin? They seem awfully confusing to play.
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

I have a newbie paladin, he isn't high enough for me to honestly comment on paladins other than to say that I have found them exceptionally boring to play. My pally hasn't seemed complicated so far, but I could just suck, and not be using him to his real potential.
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine
eOmniz
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by eOmniz »

I played a paladin to 60 and a few raids before quitting. It was more boring than an EQ cleric. Yes you never die, but you're also the lowest dps class in the game. Kyoukan summed up their soloing abilities well in another thread.

The seals and judgement system is confusing, but there's really only like 2 worth using except in weird cases, so I wouldn't worry about it until you're higher level. Crusader if you're retri, righteous if you're holy!

I haven't played since January though so don't take my words too seriously!
Current Incarnations:
Flintler, EQ2, Crushbone, HOOAC
Grahmiam, WoW, Firetree, The Crazy 88
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Paladins

Post by masteen »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Anyone here play a Paladin? They seem awfully confusing to play.
Please tell me you're joking.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sinzar
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Sinzar »

One of my alts is a paladin. As an alt they aren't horrible. If you spec/equip yourself correctly you can be the primary healer for groups and instances from 1-50 or so, and your mail/plate with a shield means you can tank well doing it. With concentration aura and Spiritual Focus talent, your heals are impossible to interupt from damage. A typical pull in like scarlet monastery or sunken temple for me would be my paladin charging in, agroing everything on himself, then just heep healing myself. The heals would keep it all agroed on me, while the group would pick them off one by one. Effective, but once he moved on to BRD and beyond you typically need support healing.

That being said, when I solo or am not needed as a primary healer, he feels pretty gimped. My main is a rogue, so going from the best DPS class to the worst is pretty rough. I almost feel like its not even worth bothering to melee sometimes if theres a rogue or mage in the group.

So my final thoughts are, if a purely support role isn't your thing in groups, paladin is not for you. If you intend to solo a lot, I don't think you will enjoy paladin all that much. But if you are making an alt to level with friends and they need a healer, paladin can be pretty fun.

It's fun being the savior of the group by being the only tank/healer. It's not fun watching as the warrior tanks everything and the priest keeps him alive and all you get to do is 28 DPS.
Last edited by Sinzar on July 7, 2005, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

<--- 60 paladin here

The class in itself is underpowered. Lowest DPS class, but we beat everyone in survivalability. I know horde are literally cussing at me like Tommy Lee Jones from Batman: "Why can't you just DIE!" Shamans are supposed to be our counterparts, but they are extemely powerful compared to us. Our bugged Seal of Crusader was on par with their Windfury buff, I wish they had kept that. Travel form for CTF is bullshit, since 1 alliance class can dispell. They are dominating in PVP and battlegrounds (even GameStop admitted to this).

I left EQ thinking I would never ever again have to be dependant on a proc for my DPS and aggro... Seal of Command does exactly that. The devs have told us that they are working on a spell line that should help control our dps. I fucking hate luck procs.

MC raids, all I do most of the time is just cleanse. The more popular term for paladins in MC is "CleanseBots". I don't attack, I don't assist, I cleanse. The only time I get to do anything else is when we have enough paladins that we can do our own groups.

Blessings need their duration increased, and the devs agree on this too. 5 minute buffs to cast on 40 people is bullshit in a dungeon crawl.

The only reason I still play him is because he is still viable. A paladin can be a big help in dungeons and raids. I can tank up to UBRS. But when I'm not raiding or farming, I play my mage.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The only reason I say that it is confusing is due to the Seals and Blessings and when to use them and what combos to use. After playing this guy up to 10 I am really not sure if I want to continue him going up. The whole idea was that 3 of us were going to create paladins and work as a team. From what I am hearing from here and other sources is that we will never die but it will still take us forever to kill stuff. Which not that much of a stretch considering that I play a druid as my main so I know all about lack of dps.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My pallie alt made it to lvl 14 or so before I gave up. He just wasn't any fun to play IMO. He was very slow to grind with and couldn't do 1/2 the stuff my druid could at the same lvl. He was by far my least favorite class in WoW to play.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Sargeras wrote: I left EQ thinking I would never ever again have to be dependant on a proc for my DPS and aggro... Seal of Command does exactly that. The devs have told us that they are working on a spell line that should help control our dps. I fucking hate luck procs.
Thats why I love WoW warriors compared to EQ ones...
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Kguku
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Kguku »

Can I kill you with my Brain Hacker again? :D
"When you dance with the devil, the devil don't change, the devil changes you."
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Paladins will eventually get some love. It's hilarious reading peoples comments now regarding Paladins and how they're the hated bastard children of Blizzard, and how all the employees play nothing but Shamen... it was the exact opposite in Beta.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Dregor Thule wrote:Paladins will eventually get some love. It's hilarious reading peoples comments now regarding Paladins and how they're the hated bastard children of Blizzard, and how all the employees play nothing but Shamen... it was the exact opposite in Beta.
In the words of forum posters: Quoted for truth.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005