Cancelled my WoW Account

WoW Discussion
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

There is no fun in leveling too easy. Once people max out they will be gone from boredom in a couple months. Didn't you all learn from EQ 1 that the carrot on the stick is what keeps people around? Why do you think they added the alternate advancements?

What is WoW going to do to keep you around until Vanguard comes out? Add in another 10 levels that you can race through in 4 days? Seriously.....how long will it take Blizzard to put out something new? Sony already has an adenture pack ready and will be out soon. What will Blizzard do to kepp you around?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

theyll do something.. however i've been playing WoW since right around the first of the year and im still only level 27.

so much for racing through everything...
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'm curious about that as well.
WoW is a load of fun to play in small spurts, but I'm not sure where it's longevity will come from. Perhaps they are going for the same type of endgame model as EQ1.....
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
brenen
No Stars!

Post by brenen »

Just though Id throw my 2 cents in..

I have played both games, and enjoyed them both. First lets all admit they are both far superior to EQ.

Now me personally, I HATE soloing. If I wanted to solo, I would a solo computer or console game. When I play mmporg I am there for the group/raid feeling.

That being said, I really didn't like the level of maturity in WoW. I wasn't even going to give EQ2 a try, until a friend mentioned it to me. I played it and instantly put down WoW and am an EQ2 addict ever since.

As far as a time sink, I play EQ2 about 12 hours a week, and am now Level 34 in adventuring and 47 in tailoring. But I am in a good guild and never really have trouble finding a group.

EQ2 has shown it can adapt, and has added solo content, the mentoring system thats coming, and is soon to have a bazaar like FFXI (since WoW stole the idea from there). What really worried me about WoW was like Diablo, you can get the max level so fast, is it even challenging enough to be fun.

As far as there only being 2 EQ2 players from Veeshan, this is far from true... Between LOoA, OtB and FoH there are over 100 veeshanites playing there. We just don't come here and post :P

All that being said.. Both games are far superior to all other games out there IMO. (unless you talk to a still EQ1 addict, they will tell you what a "man's" game they are playing). I think we are lucky to have the competition, as it makes both companies give us free shit.
Glendon- 70 Dwarf Hunter / 355 Engineer
Fanali- 70 Dwarf Warrior / 355 Blacksmithing
Khadar Server

Brenen Lifegiver (Retired) - 70 Cleric
Luclin Server
zotha
No Stars!

Post by zotha »

EQ2 has way better graphics
EQ2 has a way better engine, and the WORST art team currently employed in the video game industry. Ive seen screenshots of shit they are turning out lately that looks like the concept art was discovered on the inside cover of a random teens math book because they were bored in 3rd period.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

zotha wrote:
EQ2 has way better graphics
EQ2 has a way better engine, and the WORST art team currently employed in the video game industry. Ive seen screenshots of shit they are turning out lately that looks like the concept art was discovered on the inside cover of a random teens math book because they were bored in 3rd period.

:vv_signlol:
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I put aside my L40 EQ2 Necro to play WoW now it's out in Europe and I've got a L31 Orc Hunter now (With 120ish Engineering/Mining and 150 First Aid).

But I won't be playing past my free month - I'll be going back to EQ2.

In WoW I liked the look and feel. I liked that my machine could play on max everything gfx settings. I liked the atmosphere. I LOVED Orc /dance (pwn lol). I had some limited PvP experience and enjoyed it (PvE server tho so no gankage).
But I found even with a guild of a dozen or so online every night there was little incentive to group due to the ease of soloing and I play for the socializing. And the challenge, of which there was little when soloing in WoW (maybe thats just a Hunter thing but as long a Growl is up to date any mob < my level+4 is utterly trivial to solo, and after that there's no curve it just goes from trivial to impossible).
I also found myself tiring of the relentless pop-culture references. It felt as if the game was scared of taking itself seriously. And OMG the fucking noobs and retards spamming publin channels with their nonstop bullshit. I also didn't like that the defualt UI was useless and Cosmos fucked up every time there was a patch.

Now I have a family and more work responsibility I have less time to play and while WoW is an easy way to spend time I want to be challenged and I want to socialize. EQ2 provides more of both for me. Yeah it looks a little drab after WoW and I seriously need to work on the framerate settings (and relearn how to play my necro ><) I'm looking forward to L50, Perma, Solusek etc etc and spanking some raid mobs. Yeah there are raid mobs in WoW but my guild wasn't big enough to do them and there are only a few.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

vn_Tanc wrote:Now I have a family and more work responsibility I have less time to play and while WoW is an easy way to spend time I want to be challenged and I want to socialize. EQ2 provides more of both for me. Yeah it looks a little drab after WoW and I seriously need to work on the framerate settings (and relearn how to play my necro ><) I'm looking forward to L50, Perma, Solusek etc etc and spanking some raid mobs. Yeah there are raid mobs in WoW but my guild wasn't big enough to do them and there are only a few.
I'm curious how you're doing in EQ2 with limited playtime due to family and work responsibility? Are you finding it easy to solo?

I really liked your post btw.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I also found myself tiring of the relentless pop-culture references. It felt as if the game was scared of taking itself seriously.
I agree 100%. I also find it funny that they are strict on names that reference things outside the game, yet have plenty of references they designed into the game. Especially annoying that there's atleast two Furor references to boost that ego of his(as if it could get any bigger).
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Maybe I am just dumb or not paying attention in game but what are you guys referencing about pop-culture?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Maybe I am just dumb or not paying attention in game but what are you guys referencing about pop-culture

Chief Engineer Scooty and his teleporter that takes you to Spork.

"Why, oh why did I take the blue pill?"

Inkeeper Bates

"'I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"

"There is no spoon"

Florist Gump

The Lost Vikings

"I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate!"

Olivia, Newton, and John

Egan's Blaster
Hanzo's Sword (groan)
Malown's Slam : Postmaster Malown

Smythe and Whesson

Gahzrilla

It's pretty rampant
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Hemet Nesingwary of Stranglethorn Vale fame is an anagram for Ernest Hemingway.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I guess I never really paid all that much attention. Though now that it has been pointed out to me I am sure the game will take on a tainted image of sorts.
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

I guess Hordies wouldn't see it, but for the Artisan First Aid quest you have to do Triage in Theremore. As the patients die they say "good bye cruel world, I'm leaving you today.... goodbye.... goodbye... goodbye" which are Pink Floyd lyrics.
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine
eOmniz
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by eOmniz »

Ungoro is Nintendo land

Mario and Luigi (names scrambled) with outfits
Dodonga who doesn't like smoke
Linken, and the whole quest line to get his boomerang and the sword of mastery.

Ringo has a quest called "A Little Help from my Friends"

West Plaguelands has a quest called "All Along the Watchtowers"
Current Incarnations:
Flintler, EQ2, Crushbone, HOOAC
Grahmiam, WoW, Firetree, The Crazy 88
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I'm almost positive that the Furor/Tigole references are either characters named Figole and Turor, or a similar variation of Tigole/Furor's real names...
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

That reminds me. In shimmering flats there's an NPC selling Furor and Tigole's Strawberry Icecream or something to that effect.

And in Stratholme there's a sign hanging from a burning building that says something like Legacy of Steel Weapon Emporium when you mouse over it.

There's been several threads on the WoW Forums detailing the many pop culture references.
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

I like the samophlange horde quest from thunder cats, oh and the sword of omen.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

the have fight club going in undercity.
Acun
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: CommanderKudos

Post by Acun »

What about the loney man in Darkshire, in the little shack north of Raven Hill, called Abercrombie?
Booze - Retired Hunter on Zangarmarsh
Acun - Retired Cleric of Veeshan

Suggestions on a game?
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

I'm curious how you're doing in EQ2 with limited playtime due to family and work responsibility? Are you finding it easy to solo?
Yeah it's pretty easy to solo in EQ but its pretty dull. Pickup groups are easy to find though and not many of them suck :)

However I have come here to eat a little crow.
One week after returning to EQ2 my guild imploded in a rather ugly fashion so I'm back on WoW where I have a stable bunch of friends. I'm playing less but I've subscribed for a month and will see how it goes. The main problem though is that the wife can't get into WoW so I play alone which is considerably less fun than playing together. I'm also feeling the siren-song of online poker again.
Maybe it's just time I re-quit MMOs :)
A man with a fork
In a world of soup